Axl vs. Freddie Mercury

'Another One Bites the Dust' and 'Don't Stop Me Now' are not even close to Queen's finest - those are just pop songs which the band released when they were on the wane. From their golden era, besides the famous like 'Bohemian Rhapsody' and 'Killer Queen', try 'Brighton Rock', 'Flick of the Wrist', 'Death on Two Legs', '39', 'The Millionaire Waltz', 'Fight from the Inside' (one of Slash's favourite riffs), 'It's Late', 'Spread Your Wings' and 'More of that Jazz' et al. Further, if you like piano ballads try, 'You Take My Breath Away', 'Lily of the Valley' and 'Love of My Life'. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

'Another One Bites the Dust' and 'Don't Stop Me Now' are not even close to Queen's finest

Don't stop Me Now is one of their catchiest songs, though. Doesn't mean it's one of their best, but that's subjective anyway.

Wow, people really believes Axl's has ever been any closer to Freddie's voice? lol

4 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

If Freddie is alive today, will he sound Mickey-ish too? Since both are quite similar.

Probably not cause Freddie was a real singer and would know how to take care of his voice correctly. :shrugs:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Asia said:

Definitely Axl in his prime. Freddie's high tones that he used so much were awful, at least for me. And generally I feel much more power in young Axl's voice while he's singing than Freddie's. Also Axl's voice was more versatile. Nobody, Freddie included, could change his voice so much within one song, within several verses even. Axl's singing also carried much more emotion.

"Greatest singer of all time"- so many variables go into it.  Both are among the top 10 in my book.  No particular order- Plant, Dickinson, Freddie, Axl, Mick, JBJ, Roth, Steve Perry,  Gaga <yes she's good IMO>, Bowie....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nikosgnr said:

Jysrwf3.png  "

WHY?

This bears repeating.  Neither one is better than the other.  Each is/was their own person with their own unique talents and charisma and artistic vision.  Different people are/were drawn to them for different reasons.  Might as well say apples are better than oranges.  Both fruit.  Both good for you.  One tastes nothing like the other.  I know it's fun to argue these things, but you can't realistically compare these two legends.  I wouldn't even want to.  

• Like 4

Freddie had a big voice and could hit those high notes. Just like many other singers.

Axl had a big voice and could hit the high notes. He also had one of the best screams ever. He could also do stuff like It's So Easy, You're Crazy (Lies), Locomotive, and Ain't it Fun. His voice was a weapon. Not many singers, even the great ones, could pull off all the shit he pulled off. Plus I just like the sound of his voice better.

• Like 2

Axl in a landslide if the competition is "best frontman" -- Axl's on stage charisma and stage presence is in a league of his own.  Just watch him compete w Mick during Salt of the Earth.  He goes toe to toe w an all time great and outperforms him.

But... for pure vocalist Freddie was unique.  But axl isnt that far off there either

1 hour ago, Asia said:

Yes? I know the song, what is it supposed to prove?

I feel that it showcases Freddie doing all of the things you mentioned in your previous post.

It's all subjective, but that man is dying when belting out those haunting lyrics. The whole Innuendo album, and I feel the majority of Queen's work, there was a great deal of emotion in the way Freddie approached songs with his voice.