Axl vs. Freddie Mercury

42 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I'd have to pick Axl, I know Freddie is a great singer but I never really liked Queen.Obviously I am not picking Axl's voice now but his old voice. 

I  only one song  what liked of Queen is "Show most go on"  is very good

• Like 1

Personally I would argue Freddie has a bit more versatility!  I mean that dude can go from operatic, to ballads, to hard rock songs like The Hitman, Dead On Time, Stone Cold Crazy, etc.  

Axl is versatile and has that unique high range and a great low voice, but Freddie is king (well, Queen :P)

• Like 1

i just have a hard time associating freddie or queen for that matter with the words hard rock but yes freddie mercury was pretty versatile in a certain sense. just dont think he was as versatile as axl was... ill admit that my opinion is extremely biased though because gnr is my favorite band... its next to impossible to get an unbiased opinion on a forum like this

2 hours ago, janrichmond said:

I like a few songs but not enough to get the album

Nobody denied what was great singer,but for me was too theatrical,type pop,and the band  remplaced he with singer pop ,ADAM LAMBERT, also good singer, but, pop

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

i just have a hard time associating freddie or queen for that matter with the words hard rock but yes freddie mercury was pretty versatile in a certain sense. just dont think he was as versatile as axl was... ill admit that my opinion is extremely biased though because gnr is my favorite band... its next to impossible to get an unbiased opinion on a forum like this

Agree

Queen indeed did do hard rock, you just tend to need to dig below the softer main releases. Many of the earlier songs are heavier in nature. Another heavy song is Gimme the Prize, not a great song but heavy with very raw sounding vocals (he rips his voice very well on that one!)

I also have a liking for Death on Two Legs mainly for the lyrics.

Love that MTV jungle, Axl was in total command then.

Freddie is the better singer, Axl had the much cooler voice.  As far as frontmen and stage performance goes it depends on what you like. I think Axl had more of an "IT" factor to him, where as Freddie was the much better showman. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, koldweather said:

Queen indeed did do hard rock, you just tend to need to dig below the softer main releases. Many of the earlier songs are heavier in nature. Another heavy song is Gimme the Prize, not a great song but heavy with very raw sounding vocals (he rips his voice very well on that one!)

I also have a liking for Death on Two Legs mainly for the lyrics.

Love that MTV jungle, Axl was in total command then.

I love the song of QUEEN  "SHOW MUST GO ON"

11 hours ago, Ratam said:

Nobody denied what was great singer,but for me was too theatrical,type pop,and the band  remplaced he with singer pop ,ADAM LAMBERT, also good singer, but, pop

I'm with this. For me, once you get all theatrical and over the top, then your hard rock stuff comes across as, I don't want to say a put on or fake, but it lacks a certain feel.

• Like 1

Queen is an ALL TIME GREAT band, no argument from me there. Freddie is an ALL TIME GREAT frontman/singer as well. So ANYTIME this discussion gets started up again (I mean guys HOW many times over the years have we had this same debate?) We have to split hairs, which inevitably causes people to DEFEND Queen and Freddie, to the death it seems. 

Having said that, compared to Guns and Axl, Freddie and Queen come across soft imo. The hardest Queen songs are only as hard as mid level guns stuff. Plus all the opera stuff, I honestly detest opera influences on Rock music. Queen pulled it off beautifully, so I can't say their operaish songs are not good, because they are, again I'm splitting hairs. Just as a general rule, I can't stand opera influences rock music, that's why I dislike most of Styxx as well. So yes, there are PLENTY of Queen songs that folks on here praise as being amazing, that I plain just can't stand. Hit for hit, song for song, I'll take Guns (small) catalogue over Queens. Everything they did after like 1982 is garbage imo. Under Pressure is the newest Queen song I like, after that, nope.  

For me, it's all about attitude, that's the key ingredient that is needed for a kick ass band. Guns had it in spades, maybe more than ANY other band. Queen had attitude, yes. But not ANYWHERE near Guns. Take Killer Queen for example or Bicyle race (both are good songs that I enjoy), but Guns would NEVER do a song like those, they are too... pop/soft/opera, you pick the adjective. 

Having said all of that, I DO feel Freddie was more consistent than Axl (performance wise) overall. I also do feel that Boheimian Rapsody is a better song than anything in Guns catalogue, so I'll give Freddie and Queen points for those.

Someone just recently (in an article) made the point that Axl has animal magnetism, he is like a snake on stage. They compared him to Jim Morrison, they said Jim had that as well, and I agree. Freddie didn't have THAT. So it's an "it" factor. Axl at his VERY best, imo reached higher heights than Freddie did. But like I said, Freddie was more consistent. Band vs band isn't even close for me. I like Brian May a lot, but I feel Slash is BETTER as well. 

In my honest opinion, the one two punch of Axl and Slash is extremely hard to beat. The only one that really compares is Page and Plant, all the rest will come up short. That's why Guns is such an amazing band, even today. I was arguing with Metallica dudes, and that's why I said even Metallica comes up short compared to Guns. It's all about talent. Axl and Slash are such a powerful one two combo, they kill James and Kirk. It's not even close. Jagger and Richards can't even fuck with them. If you want to say Mick is better than Axl, ok. But Slash PISSES on Richards, like a lot. So even the mighty Stones can't compete with the Axl and Slash combo. 

Oh btw, I know someone is going to bring up drummers and bassist, and they are important as well. But singers and guitar players are what REALLY makes bands hard to beat. It's the most important roles to fill in a band, and Guns has two LEGENDS in those spots.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

freddie had some crazy talent but axl was much more versatile imo which imo makes him a better singer in his prime... most queen songs sound pretty much the same... gnr stuff on the other hand goes from dont cry to perfect crime

Not true. There is a range from bohemian rhapsody, princes of the universe, another one bites the dust, their major pop hits to Freddie's last album with very deep songs like show must go on and innuendo. 

My favorite song by Queen might be You don't fool me. Also different compared to their other pop songs. 

Freddie was more versatile. Pop, Opera, Rock, Disco, Piano. 

And he was an artist who wrote hits just til he died. Axl's last hit is as old as Freddie's death. 

Axl was just great for only 6-7 years. 

1 hour ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Having said that, compared to Guns and Axl, Freddie and Queen come across soft imo. The hardest Queen songs are only as hard as mid level guns stuff.

Really? I'd say Stone Cold Crazy, Tie Your Mother Down, More of that Jazz, Fight from the Inside, Sheer Heart Attack and Princes of the Universe are loosely the equivalent in terms of 'rockiness' as Guns N' Roses's default style. Queen were flippin' heavy. As I said earlier, Fight from the Inside is one of Slash's favourite riffs while Stone Cold Crazy and More of that Jazz are almost proto-thrash.

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Freddy all day and night but I'd rather stick pins in my eyes and ears than listen to a single minute of Queen. Utter dogshit! 

Traitor. All British blokes like listening to Queen and wearing women's dresses for a night on the town. It is what separates us from the uncouth Americans.

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Traitor. All British blokes like listening to Queen and wearing women's dresses for a night on the town. It is what separates us from the uncouth Americans.

I didn't say I was  averse to wearing dresses now did I? :lol:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ratam said:

I'm with you on this. 

Axl vs. Freddie? Axl Rose 100%.

Edited by Melisandre
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, J Dog said:

I'm with this. For me, once you get all theatrical and over the top, then your hard rock stuff comes across as, I don't want to say a put on or fake, but it lacks a certain feel.

Is't all subjetive, not better, not worst, but yes  , very different to compare  FREDDIE vs AXL,many different as heaven and earth,this discussion is unnecesary ,have people what easy feel offended ?

• Like 1

Like others, I don't see a point in this kind of comparisons, so I won't be strictly on topic.

Queen is not my cup of tea, but they had diversity in their music and Freddie Mercury was a great singer and frontman.

Their diversity (among other things) has been a big influence on Axl (the most avid Queen fan in the band) and his main model for liking variety and wanting to incorporate different stylistic elements in GnR's music. Strangely enough, some GnR fans who also like Queen don't appreciate Axl doing this in GnR (regardless of the arguments on whether CD is GnR or not).

Edited by Blackstar
added
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Really? I'd say Stone Cold Crazy, Tie Your Mother Down, More of that Jazz, Fight from the Inside, Sheer Heart Attack and Princes of the Universe are loosely the equivalent in terms of 'rockiness' as Guns N' Roses's default style. Queen were flippin' heavy. As I said earlier, Fight from the Inside is one of Slash's favourite riffs while Stone Cold Crazy and More of that Jazz are almost proto-thrash.

A casual Queen fan here, but thanks for introducing me to some kickass Queen songs I'd never heard before.  Stone Cold Crazy - wow!  

But yeah, these songs not as hard edged as Guns.  Instrumentally?  OK, maybe there's a similarity there...esp Stone Cold Crazy.  But Freddie, whilst being a fucking amazing singer - better technically than Axl -  does not sound like he might rip your throat out if you looked the wrong way at him - Axl does.  Some people might prefer their singers to not sound like they are borderline psychotic and those people would pick Freddie.  Me?  I like a whiff of danger in my singers so I prefer Axl - if I was forced to choose.  I think this is also what separates the two bands, stylistically. For me, anyway.  Saying all that, I don't like to pick one over the other - I love them both for different reasons depending on what mood I'm in.  Both are legends.

• Like 1