The Stephen King Thread (Books, Films, TV shows, interviews)

Sosso

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 0:38 PM, Sosso said:

I'm reading the Dark Tower novels right now. Current book: The Wind Through The Keyhole. 

I never did finish that one. My wife and I listened to the audiobooks for It and The Shining. We're currently working through The Dark Tower, currently on The Gunslinger. I've read all of the Dark Tower and listened to 1-4. The Stand is probably my favorite book of his. I remember seeing the miniseries back in 1994. That was my first introduction to King. I would check out the videos for it every summer from the library and I finally read the book at 16.

4 hours ago, EvanG said:

I read the first Dark Tower novel, didn't like it one bit, so I didn't bother reading the rest. I usually like King, especially his non-horror books.

Keep going. The Gunslinger is a chore to get through, but the rest of the series is worth it. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2017 at 8:07 PM, EvanG said:

I just finished reading his 11/22/63 novel. It's more than 800 pages, but as usual, you read through it rather quickly. I usually don't care for science fiction, if that's what you can call this, but I quite enjoyed this book.

I thought about reading that one, it sounds interesting. I haven't read many of his recent ones. Duma Key, that was ok. And I love The Shining so I read Doctor Sleep.

1 hour ago, J Dog said:

I thought about reading that one, it sounds interesting. I haven't read many of his recent ones. Duma Key, that was ok. And I love The Shining so I read Doctor Sleep.

It's interesting from a historical point of view, but the rest of the story is also quite compelling. I read a lot of his recent work the last year, the Bill Hodges Trilogy is good, but I especially enjoyed Revival and coming of age story Joyland

On 17.8.2017 at 6:31 AM, luciusfunk said:

Keep going. The Gunslinger is a chore to get through, but the rest of the series is worth it. 

The Drawing of the Three, The Waste Lands, Wolves of the Calla and Song of Susannah are my favourite DT novels. The Wind Through The Keyhole was ok.

• 2 weeks later...

I read a few of his as a kid but I'm buggered if i can fuckin' remember what ones, Carrie I know for sure, Geralds Game too, Geralds Game is fucked up, this bitch and her husband fuck off to a log cabin to do like kinky sex shit and she's cuffed to this bed and they get into this argument and he's fuckin' with her so she kicks him hard in the bollocks and he ends up dying so she's left there tied to a fuckin' bed out in the middle of fuck knows where, proper good book.

The TV show on audience/direct tv, Mr Mercedes. With Brendan Gleeson as the lead. It may well be the winner of King adaptations this year. If you're American, the first two eps are on the direct tv site for free, the other two out so far, and for those of us in other countries - thar be pirates.

Very much worth a watch, and the soundtrack is killer, too.