GUNS N' ROSES Announces 'Guns N' Roses Was Here': An Exclusive Multi-Brand Retail Experience At Maxfield

4 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Is this even the Big 3's idea? "Hey lets open up a shop and capitalize on our AFD3 reunion! All those suckers will buy it as long as the AFD5 cross is there, and market it as an AFD30 thingy!"

Or was it just TB and Slash/Duff knew it thru Twitter?

I'm certain Duff & Slash are aware of all of this. Things like this would've been planned out as part of their agreement to come back.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Guns are like Kiss now sadly.

BS!  EVERYTHING is a business.  people do things for money.  Some may get to do what they love, but at the end of the day, its all business, no matter what others think

2 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

From the article:

"A very special thanks to Fernando Lebeis for all his dedication to making this happen"

oh, the dedication it must have taken...

without fernando, there is no guns n roses

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EvanG said:

How is this different from the GnR merchandise crap there was in the early 90s? Big deal. If you don't like, don't buy it... I know I won't.

What 'merchandise crap'? In the '90s as I recall they merely flogged the standard black t-shirts, patches, and such like like the majority of rock/metal acts. There was the pinball machine but that was a real niche retro product (and a labour of love for Slash).

Guns N' Roses's 'merchandise crap' is a recent thing.

At one of the shows they were selling Guns N' Roses themed fire extinguishers: Guns N' Roses fire extinguishers!! The mind boggles.

PS

Oh yes, there was the comic book which again, I'd regard as a niche product and not really the type of thing that would've generated much money regardless.

38 minutes ago, fabrph5 said:

BS!  EVERYTHING is a business.  people do things for money.  Some may get to do what they love, but at the end of the day, its all business, no matter what others think

Well it is certainly not about music now so...

Edited by DieselDaisy

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

What merchandise crap? In the '90s as I recall they merely flogged the standard black t-shirts, patches, and such like like the majority of rock/metal acts. There was the pinball machine but that was a real niche retro product (and a labour of love for Slash).

Guns N' Roses's 'merchandise' crap is a recent thing.

t-shirts, sweaters, jackets, posters, keychains, wristbands, patches, caps... I'm sure there was even more stuff that I don't even know about.

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

t-shirts, sweaters, jackets, posters, keychains, wristbands, patches, caps... I'm sure there was even more stuff that I don't even know about.

You can't compare the merch they sell at shows with this fashion bullshit. The fact GN'R (all artists) sell merch at shows makes this line of clothing AFD anniversary even more ridiculous. This is not about celebrating AFD anniversarry. This is just milking AFD

Just now, Padme said:

You can't compare the merch they sell at shows with this fashion bullshit. The fact GN'R (all artists) sell merch at shows makes this line of clothing AFD anniversary even more ridiculous. This is not about celebrating AFD anniversarry. This is just milking AFD

Nah, they care plenty about the AFD anniversary. Don't you remember on the day when they, erm, put some spotify stats on social media.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Padme said:

I'm not talking about stuff they sell at shows. This is merchandise you could buy at warehouses and music stores. Don't tell me early 90s GnR was a band that only sold t-shirts and not much more. I had a kid in my class who was a huge GnR fan early to mid 90s, and he would come in with a different GnR item every few weeks... that's why I know about all this crap. And I forgot to mention calendars... I wasn't into the GnR merchandise at all, but I did have a GnR calendar when I was 12 years old... silly me!

Edited by EvanG

14 minutes ago, EvanG said:

That is just your regular band tat. Much of that (e.g., patches, posters, wristbands) was coppers anyway.

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

That is just your regular band tat. Much of that (e.g., patches, posters, wristbands) was coppers anyway.

I'm not saying they were freaking Kiss with all the ridiculous merchandise, but they weren't what you make them out to be either. I've seen so much GnR merch going around in the early to mid 90s.

Just now, EvanG said:

I'm not saying they were freaking Kiss with all the ridiculous merchandise, but they weren't what you make them out to be either. I've seen so much GnR merch going around in the early to mid 90s.

Are you including those little pin badges which cost about 10 pence? I had a few of those myself back in the day.

4 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I'm not talking about stuff they sell at shows. This is merchandise you could buy at warehouses and music stores. Don't tell me early 90s GnR was a band that only sold t-shirts and not much more. I had a kid in my class who was a huge GnR fan early to mid 90s, and he would come in with a different GnR item every few weeks... that's why I know about all this crap. And I forgot to mention calendars... I wasn't into the GnR merchandise at all, but I did have a GnR calendar when I was 12 years old... silly me!

But not all that is official. You can check Amazon right now and you'll find all kind of merch. If you read the article this is not the same thing.

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Are you including those little pin badges which cost about 10 pence? I had a few of those myself back in the day.

I did forget about them actually, but I only wore badges of my favourite football team, and I don't mix music and sports.

8 minutes ago, Padme said:

But not all that is official. You can check Amazon right now and you'll find all kind of merch. If you read the article this is not the same thing.

I'm sure a lot of it is official, though, seeing as it was being sold at certain familiar stores. 

Edited by EvanG

LOL at the phrase 'retail experience'.  Just what every Guns fan, casual and hardcore alike, always wanted from their favourite band: a retail experience to enrich our lives. 

I'm laughing at the fact, 'In celebration of the 30th anniversary of AFD' appears in the same sentence as 'an exclusive retail event.'   This is how they feel one of the most important hard rock albums in music history should be celebrated?  OK.  Even funnier, '...a new interpretation of AFD...through limited-edition capsule collections.'  

Quite how a limited-edition capsule collection of clothing can offer us a new outlook on the album is beyond me.  What about releasing a 'capsule collection' of previously unheard music to offer us a new interpretation of AFD? 

I'm not against them having their retail cash grab - there's probably heaps of fans who are into that, which is fine, and it does make sense to acknowledge Guns' impact on fashion and style - BUT I wish, for once, they'd cater to those fans who'd really, really appreciate a new listening experience.  

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I'm not against them having their retail cash grab - there's probably heaps of fans who are into that, which is fine, and it does make sense to acknowledge Guns' impact on fashion and style

As a sidenote, there was recently an article discussing the fashion sense of GN'R: http://www.miaminewtimes.com/music/guns-n-roses-at-marlins-park-in-miami-august-8-9513906

5 hours ago, AncientEvil80 said:

Yea man, all those South American fans (bless 'em, no mistake...) gonna loooove this shit. All hail Team Brazil. 

How are we gonna love this?? :question:

This is happening in Los Angeles, not in some major Latinamerican capital.

Besides, all the merch they brought here sucked ass. We didn't even have lithos for our cities.

• Like 1

@SoulMonster Thanks for the link, I'm outta likes - that was an interesting read.  

This stood out to me:

But for a band as megapopular as Guns N' Roses, its music was surprisingly noninfluential. Any rock fan can name a dozen bands they believe ripped off Nirvana or Metallica or Pearl Jam, but it's much tougher to research the annals of time and find the bands inspired by Guns N' Roses. Maybe it's because Axl Rose's screams were impossible to replicate, or maybe it's because the alternative bands that took over '90s radio so openly mocked and rebelled against Guns N' Roses' rock-star excess.

I always thought it was because Guns' distinctive sound isn't easily replicated whereas so many grunge era bands are, but anyway, it seems as though GNR and its management are determined to go down the fashion route.  Music is clearly not as important anymore.