Hated Illusions Songs??

Why are Bad Apples, Back Off Bitch, So Fine and others hated on? 

Bad apples isnt the best song goin but its alright and its got a sick chorus i reckon. Back off bitch is groovy as fuck and i love the vibe of it, was one of my favourites for awhile.

So Fine gets boring but it gives UYI  a bit more variety with a chill slow sad song and i dig the melodic guitars, probably something id listen to if i was feelin down hahaha

Another one is Shotgun Blues, nothing amazing but still a good song

My world can fuck off but 😂

• Like 1

Bad Apples and Get in the Ring are the only songs on the two records that I absolutely HATE.

with that being said, there's only a handful of songs between both records that I genuinely enjoy. The rest are mediocre in my opinion. I can listen to them every now and then, but none of them are anything special. 

in contrast, I still love all the songs on AFD to this very day.

Bad Apples is one of the best tracks on their 2nd best album, I assume the hate comes from the fact that it sort of stands alone in the GNR catalogue, there's nothing really similar to it.

Back Off Bitch has cool guitars and vocals but a stupid chorus and overall just feels like filler. So Fine is also pretty 'bottom of the barrel' as far as UYI songs go. Unfortunately UYI II got most of the filler - So Fine, Get In The Ring, My World, Shotgun Blues, Knockin' On Heavens Door...

2 hours ago, Dimezy said:

Why are Bad Apples, Back Off Bitch, So Fine and others hated on? 

Bad apples isnt the best song goin but its alright and its got a sick chorus i reckon. Back off bitch is groovy as fuck and i love the vibe of it, was one of my favourites for awhile.

So Fine gets boring but it gives UYI  a bit more variety with a chill slow sad song and i dig the melodic guitars, probably something id listen to if i was feelin down hahaha

Not to me...I Love So Fine and BoB. I was super glad when Sirius played them on the faction channel.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Bad Apples is one of the best tracks on their 2nd best album, I assume the hate comes from the fact that it sort of stands alone in the GNR catalogue, there's nothing really similar to it.

Yeah sounds about right, nothing wrong with something different though!

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Bad Apples and Get in the Ring are the only songs on the two records that I absolutely HATE.

with that being said, there's only a handful of songs between both records that I genuinely enjoy. The rest are mediocre in my opinion. I can listen to them every now and then, but none of them are anything special. 

in contrast, I still love all the songs on AFD to this very day.

How come you dont like them 2 though? Get in the ring has some sick parts and pretty sick guitars and riffs but the whole idea of the song it doesnt feel like a proper song its all over the place, i just like it for variety on the albums

and "filler", not taking a dig at you but its dumb when people say that, yeah 100% solid albums are wicked and all (Appetite) but nothing wrong with some variety and at the end of the day its more music which is always good, and especially with GNR im stoked we got a double album instead of one solid album

I reckon all the songs are good except my world which isnt really a song to me haha

I can see why some don't like So Fine and BoB and Shotgun Blues. I don't love them myself but they're ok, I can listen to them, def on the weaker end of UYI. I always liked Bad Apples though.

So Fine and Bad Apples arent really hated on. Ive seen people here wishing that song was played in place of one of the various covers that they play each night. Bad Apples is kinda ones of those deep cuts that I guess is kinda forgotten or its not to some peoples taste. 

Back off Bitch is cool, but because of the misogyny in it, it sorta gets a bad rap, but the riff is pretty cool.

honestly, to me only mediocre songs on the Illusions is Shotgun Blues and Get in the Ring.

My world is a pile a shit and not much else needs to be said on that.

• Like 2

Yo man I love all the Illusions, some less than others... I think Get in the Ring is a great song to rock out to even if it's not of the same caliber as AFD! Same with Back Off Bitch! So Fine just doesn't sound that Guns-y to me so I don't listen to it on it's own very much, but that's just what I think.

Bad Apples is really good too, it's just sometimes too funky at the beginming for me to get into it, but once I do, I love it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J Dog said:

I can see why some don't like So Fine and BoB and Shotgun Blues. I don't love them myself but they're ok, I can listen to them, def on the weaker end of UYI. I always liked Bad Apples though.

Yeah i agree man, theyre on the weaker end because illusions has some wicked songs that set the bar high, but theyre still good songs in general

Wow, I must be the only one with love for Shotgun Blues.  I probably listen to it at least once, every other day.  How can you not love Duff's bass in the intro?  That bass is the shit.  And Duff's backing vocals are great, too. This track has a fast and furious punk quality.  I can't keep still when I'm listening to it, have to be tapping my toes.  It's just a mad, mad song.  Killer chorus.  Lyrics are hilarious.  Favourite lyric: well listen motherfucker you're about to pay your dues - Axl delivers that like a punch to the face.  And how can you not love the way Axl sings a lyric as camp as 'Me? I just like to dance' with 100% brutal force. :lol: It's a really funny song.

The ones I skip from both albums are all the hits and radio friendlies, not because I don't like them, just because I listened to them SO much back in the day I don't care to hear them anymore (this includes SCOM and Jungle, not PC for some reason, which I never get sick of).  So the ones I don't listen to AT ALL ever: LALD, NR, CW, Yesterdays, KOHD, YCBM.  Coma I like, but is not on heavy rotation in my playlist.  GINR and My World I'm indifferent to, so they don't get much of a listen.

My world doesn't even constitute a song in my opinion! It's like some stupid parody for the sake of being on the record. It's quite embarrassing! 

Mad for the rest, I like pretty much all of them. 

the lyrics to back off bitch are wasted on the guitar parts in that song! I'd love to have seen them add lyrics in a similar vein to YCBM, that track has all the elements of another monster song but they missed it using those lyrics! 

so fine is a very good song, I love the live version on the Tokyo live dvd. 

KOHD gets a lot hate, I like the song more than the original, but I hate the random noises on the cd, and the stupid phone call as well, if I could eliminate both of those I'd like the cd version! 

Shotgun blues is a good enough song for me not to hit skip when it comes on. 

Other than my world, and don't cry alt version, I enjoy both records from start to finish to be honest, yeah some of the tracks have obvious flaws but both albums have enough on there for everyone and I enjoy the change up in pace from song to song! 

• Like 1

I love 'Bad Apples'; it is like a jam. If you look at the credits you'll see that all four songwriters were credited - that wasn't happening much during the Illusion era. 'Hate' is a rather strong word. The only thing, as I cannot call it a 'song', I actively hate is 'My World', although I dislike 'Get in the Ring' and 'Knockin' On Heaven's Door', and to a lesser extent 'Shotgun Blues'. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Somehow I can't stand Bad Obsession no more

I never really liked it especially live. I skip November Rain, GITR and KOHD. I didn't usually skip

My World I just think of it as the music that's played as the end credits roll on a film.

Edited by janrichmond

Bad Apples is alright, not their best, but it's a fun song. Maybe the only 'funky' song on there.

I never liked Back Off Bitch because the chorus sucks.

Shotgun Blues sucks totally.

I like So Fine, like the dynamics and almost jazzy feel to it and awesome piano during the uptempo part. Just too bad Duff is a lousy singer and that Axl sounds like he's reaching an orgasm while singing his parts.

Im not a huge fan of The Garden.  But I do love the solo.  And the solo is so cool, in part, because how it relates to all the other parts before and after it, so idk.

I like shotgun for the music and I like the music enough to ignore some cringe lyrics.  Izzys intro to BOB is so good!  The UYI mix, with lots of room for lower octave Axls, scoop so much power from the music.  That coupled with cringy lyrics.  But you dont hear any one say that the misogyny ruins Locomotive, so Id say the music isnt standing up in BOB.

You Aint The First imo is them trying out a different genre.  Id rather go right to the source and hear players dedicated to that genre.