Hated Illusions Songs??

Bad Apples and Locomotive always sounded similar to me. They're both groovy and funky and fun to listen too, but I can see why people hate them

Shotgun Blues is actually pretty fun

Back Off Bitch is one of my favorite GNR tracks. You can just hear the energy. It sounds amazing on the album and it's almost never been performed. This song actually could've been on AFD, and it sounds like it too.

So Fine is mediocre

Edited by wafflehead
  • Like 1

WHO HATES LOCOMOTIVE? it is one the best songs the band has ever done -EPIC- only thing I dislike about Bad Apples is the piano in the mix - should have never been there - and several others songs as well as far as locomotive - DAMN - MY favorite off the album with COMA and PERFECT CRIME 

• Like 1

Bad Apples sounds, to me, like a first ever song a starting band would write. There's something there, but it just doesn't quite work. I would have left it out of the album.

The "Why let one bad apple spoil the whole damn bunch" -bit sounds too sing-a-long-y. I cringe everytime I hear it.

More than anything I actually hate the names of some songs.

I hate that The Garden of Eden and The Garden are so similar.

I don't like bad words in song titles - Back Off Bitch

Bad Apples, Dead Horse, Dust N Bones, "Jive", all sound corny to me.

The names of the songs is one of the main reasons why I like UYI II better than I. Oh, and the music.

54 minutes ago, AslatIE said:

People who dislike Bad Apples shouldn't listen to GNR in the first place :P

I know right? Musically Brownstone part 2, great lyrics, Slash and Izzy trading riffs left and right channel like on AFD, an epic bridge section and a solo that just goes on and on and makes you go "wtf"

Shotgun blues is the only GNR song (My World is just Axl it doesnt count) that I don't listen to. That's the lone gnr song I can truly call medicore. Even Anything Goes has more charm than that one. A way worse Get In The Ring (which I happen to love).

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

18 hours ago, Dimezy said:

Why are Bad Apples, Back Off Bitch, So Fine and others hated on? 

Bad apples isnt the best song goin but its alright and its got a sick chorus i reckon. Back off bitch is groovy as fuck and i love the vibe of it, was one of my favourites for awhile.

So Fine gets boring but it gives UYI  a bit more variety with a chill slow sad song and i dig the melodic guitars, probably something id listen to if i was feelin down hahaha

Another one is Shotgun Blues, nothing amazing but still a good song

My world can fuck off but 😂

I don't "hate" any song off UYI except My World, which is a given. I don't really care for some of the others like Shotgun Blues, but not enough to skip them if I were playing either album straight through. I just wouldn't ever put certain songs on a playlist for example. 

I understand the dislike towards Get In The Ring, but I like the first two minutes, after that it gets embarrassing. They should have written a decent chorus around the first two verses and lose all the immature parts in the song and they would have had a fun punk song that could have fitted nicely in between all the long and epic songs.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, scooby845 said:

UYI I is full of filler..

Bad Apples, Garden, Garden of Eden, Bad Obsession, You Ain't the First, Right next Door to hell...

UYI II

My World, Shotgun Blues...

Man, I guess I really like filler!!!!

And you ain't the first is VERY fun IMO

• Like 1

Get in the Ring never really bothered me, just some shit talking. My World I always just view as an outro.

Bad Obsession is one that, I love it, good jam type song, but for whatever reason sometimes it feels like it's 15 minutes long. 

I think what some people forget is that AFD only showed a certain side of them, and actually their musical influences were/are far more diverse. So songs like Bad Apples simply demonstrate their interest in blusey, funky Rolling Stones type jams.

Well, here's my basic appraisal of the whole lot of UYI songs:

Right Next Door To Hell  - A fairly good straight up aggressive hard rock song. 

Dust N' Bones - Typical Izzy style, less rock/punk, more blues.

Live And Let Die - Pointless shit cover. Axl thought it was "the next WTTJ"???!!!

Don't Cry - Decent emotional powerful song.

Perfect Crime - A fairly good straight up aggressive hard rock song.

You Ain't The First - Just a throwaway acoustic jam, has its place though I guess.

Bad Obsession - GnR showing the Rolling Stones influence.

Back Off Bitch - Good guitar work, lyrics are a bit much. 

Double Talkin' Jive - Awesome live - Slash shines; but this studio version is a bit sterile.

November Rain - Axl doing his epic Elton John thang. Not for me really, always skip.

The Garden - Very underrated psychadellic deep cut. Great song.

Garden Of Eden - Nice guitar instrumental, GnR doing "punk" but lyrics too rushed.

Don't Damn Me - Again, Nice guitar instrumental but lyrics a bit 'angry teenager'

Bad Apples - GnR showing the Rolling Stones influence.

Dead Horse - Good hard rocker with Southern influence.

Coma - Absolutely fucking amazing epic masterpiece.

Civil War - Great song with very thoughtful lyrics. GnR had no 'integrity'? Listen to this!

14 Years - Izzy doing his Izzy thing, not heavy rock but bluesy style

Yesterdays - The Southern Rock influence.

Knockin' On Heaven's Door - A bit long but defo has its place. Preferred 80s live style.

Get In The Ring - GnR do what they imagine punk to be but go well over the top.

Shotgun Blues - Another throwaway 'punk' song, comes across as juvenile.

Breakdown - The Southern Rock influence.

Pretty Tied Up - Pretty good balance of Rolling Stones and hard rock influence.

Locomotive - Amazing work from Slash and Axl. A grooving hard rocker and amazing end.

So Fine - Uh.... In the words of Izzy, "No."

Estranged - Axl epic, well better than NR and awesome Slash work too.

You Could Be Mine - Killer riff, good meaty drum track, lyrics a bit dark and spiteful. 

Don't Cry - was another version necessary?

My World - The real hidden underrated gem of the album.

(Only joking, it's a total embarrasment.) 

• Like 3