Do Arena Dates Indicate Tour is More Than Just Cash Grab?

I was thinking the other day about this.  They have to get paid far less than half for an arena date vs. a stadium date.  Even a poor selling stadium show will be at least 50% more than a sold out arena.

If the tour was just a cash grab, why play Arena dates?  These dates seem to indicate that they are enjoying touring and want to do more shows.  It isn't completely a weather situation because some cities (like Detroit) where they are playing an arena have indoor football stadiums.  Clearly they don't think they could sell enough tickets at the football stadium but want to play the city again.

I don't know.  Just a thought.  Maybe bodes well for them keeping it going for a few years (possibly/hopefully with at least a few new songs released).  Who knows. 

With GNR, Axl could stop in the middle of the show in Hershey and say "I need some chocolate and we're going home" followed by moving into the Hershey chocolate factory, never to be seen again!

4 minutes ago, xBrownstonex said:

You cant tour stadiums in fall/winter.

Why?  Like I said, some places they are playing arenas (like Detroit) have indoor stadiums.  Other's like LA have weather that is just fine for playing in fall/winter.

My main point is that if they were just doing it for the money, why play these Arena dates where they will certainly make less than half per show?  If it was just for the money, why not wait until next summer and hit the stadiums again in markets like NYC?

7 minutes ago, Pele said:

It's really upto the Promoter/Agents.  The promoters 'buys' the dates from the Agent and routes the tour.  Live Nation (nor any other) wouldn't buy a stadium winter tour for GNR.

I get that part.  My point is that GNR has to be willing to play the shows.  They will be guaranteed to make a lot less from an arena show than a stadium show.  Neither Axl nor Duff NEEDS the money that badly (maybe Slash does).  They could play South American stadiums for less dates and make the same total (if not more).  They could also play selected stadiums in NA next summer in markets that will support it and make more per date and probably the same total.

I was just thinking that the fact that they agreed to the arena leg might indicate that they are enjoying the tour and want to keep playing more shows.  Obviously, I don't think it means that they are going to wake up tomorrow, make up with Izzy and Steven and make AFD2 next year.

4 minutes ago, gnrkoncerti said:

As I can see,tickets for arena dates have double prices than tickets on stadiums...

Also ,band who want to play crash grab tour didn't play 3+ hours shows

Even if they average double the price, most arenas only hold 12k-15k for a concert. The one show in little rock was reported at 24k but the other stadium shows have been 33k and higher. A sold out arena at double the ticket prices will still end up grossing 20% or more less than the average stadium show.

I can guarantee that the average cost of an arena show ticket will not end up double the stadium average. It will be a bit higher because arenas don't have "nosebleed" sections that they reduce to $35.

Despite peoples sobriety and maturity.  And despite that any possible mental issues seem to be well managed finally, certainly someone on the business end is still cautious that this could still fall apart any second.  I think they'll do as much as they can in short time in part because of that.  And arenas are the venue option at this point, having toured around to a lot of people already.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

I get that part.  My point is that GNR has to be willing to play the shows.  They will be guaranteed to make a lot less from an arena show than a stadium show.  Neither Axl nor Duff NEEDS the money that badly (maybe Slash does).  They could play South American stadiums for less dates and make the same total (if not more).  They could also play selected stadiums in NA next summer in markets that will support it and make more per date and probably the same total.

I was just thinking that the fact that they agreed to the arena leg might indicate that they are enjoying the tour and want to keep playing more shows.  Obviously, I don't think it means that they are going to wake up tomorrow, make up with Izzy and Steven and make AFD2 next year.

Why does everybody think Slash needs money ?? After the split with Perla , He had a succesful run with SMKC and a Album !! That wil make a buck for the man !! He wasn't broke when Perla left.....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Robert39 said:

Why does everybody think Slash needs money ?? After the split with Perla , He had a succesful run with SMKC and a Album !! That wil make a buck for the man !! He wasn't broke when Perla left.....

I think "needs" money is relative.  He doesn't need money to eat or have a place to sleep.  He might need money to maintain his lifestyle.

• Like 2

They have a lot of space for touring on 2018...They can do the biggest tpur in 2018 ...There lot of space for ten arenas shows in Australia and New Zeland,than 10 stadiums or arena iz Azia,probably more than stadiums dates in Europe,short run i  SA and 50 arena dates in North America...

6 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

If the tour was just a cash grab, why play Arena dates? 

Any time a musician/band puts out merch, new music, or plays a show, it's a CASH GRAB. If they're not playing for free it's a CASH GRAB. Come on man! Get with it! <_<

:)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chris 55 said:

Any time a musician/band puts out merch, new music, or plays a show, it's a CASH GRAB. If they're not playing for free it's a CASH GRAB. Come on man! Get with it! <_<

:)

Yes, you are right. I forgot that they are supposed to just perform on the sidewalk and throw money back if people try to tip them! What is wrong with me? :)

For every band the goal is to "make it".   Call it 'selling out' or 'cash grab' or whatever you want.  All I know is that 30-50,000 fans a night are loving life. And at 3.5 hours a show it's not a 'cash grab'.   U2, Coldplay, Metallica etc....what- 2 to 2.5 hours.....max.  Lame.  Maiden even is not a lengthy show.  

• Like 1

Well, yes touring and merchandise makes them more money then say an album, which could sell plenty but it would lose out to free downloads by you, me and 20 million other people.

That's the reality we live in today. I seen Metallica back during Death-Magnetic and with every ticket sell you got a CD, which isn't a bad idea to pump up your sales.

Unfortunately it doesn't.. I never really looked at it as a cash grab but this wouldn't change anything if it was... They are still charging as much as they possibly can in a smaller venue... Prices went down a tiny tiny bit but they are still very very very high..... I really did hope the shows would have been more  affordable at this point but it looks like they will milk it for as much as possible as long as they can... There is still a good amount of people out there that haven't been able to justify seeing them due to the ticket prices..

• Like 1