tremolo

What made u fall in love with gnr?

tremolo    207

I was 9 when UYI came out, and it blew my mind in every way imaginable. Their looks, their attitude. They looked and behaved in a way that scared my parents, and that was awesome, the defiance in their fucking rock n roll attitude. They were dangerous. And their music, it touched me in all the right places, and that led me to translating all their lyrics, and that blew my mind too. I FELT this band in the same way i felt Nirvana. It's pretty intense when music touches your soul, it becomes a companion.

I was devastated when they went to Chile and i couldn't go, but i watched and recorded their concert from tv. What a fucking ride! Axl threatening on ending the show because for some reason it was cool to spit at the performers (Patton had a beautiful spit exchange with the crowd). A fan got trampled and died when they opened the gates.

Then I listened to AFD and LIES, and as much as I really liked them, it was not (and still isn't) the same connection/experience.

Share!

I was dragged by my older brother, who was a casual, to a concert in Cincy 2011. I was 17 and didn't know a single song outside of WTTJ.

He and I lucked out and ended up front and center on the rail. (US Bank arena had no signage, most everyone ended up lined up at the wrong spot and we ended up getting to the right spot just fast enough)

As strange as it sounds, it was Sorry that hooked me. I looked up on stage at this guy who I had no idea really who he was, but when he sang Sorry he had this...air about him that said "I am the coolest motherfucker in the world." 

And I believed him.  End of story. 

• Like 1

IncitingChaos    4,322

Sounds gay but Axl. I hadn't seen a frontman with his range and stage presence. He was unique and carried about in a reckless manner that was true to himself. Pairing him up with arguably one of the best guitarist we've ever seen made the band incredibly fun to watch, listen to and follow. 

DieselDaisy    9,223

If I had a gun to my head and had to state one thing I'd say it was the sound of Slash's and Izzy's guitars on Appetite. There are other factors of course - Stradlin's lyrics, Duff's basslines sitting upon Adler's drumming, Rose's '80s rasp - but if I had to pick one thing it would be the Appetite guitars.

• Like 3

Gibson_Guy87    714

The summer before my freshman year of HS (2012), I got a cheap iPod and AFD accidentally got put on there and I just loved the tracks. I was listening to shit like Poison and whatever pop songs were popular in 2012 and I just did a complete 180 and decided I wasn't going to settle for shit like Poison and the other pop music. I discovered November Rain around August of that year and I was just blown away that someone could write a 9 minute song and it was mindfucking when I saw the video and how much production went into it. I listened to almost nothing but Appetite for the rest of the year while discovering a few of the Illusions songs along the way. In 2013, I really got into UYI and just loved how diverse it was. 

To sum it up, Guns were different but in a really good way. Looking back on it now, what really made me fall in love with this band was that they cut through the bullshit and didn't do any of the generic forgettable stuff that a lot of the hair/glam bands did. They were honest, hard rocking, and total badasses.

Classmate in 6th grade lent me his uncle's AFD cassette tape. Told me to listen to it. Then I heard SCOM, and wasa like "hey this was the one I keep hearing at the radio!"... I was 8 that time. lol

7 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

SCOM Solo and UYI I 

Another fan of UYI I, yes! I'm finding these rare people, slowly but surely. ^_^

I was 15 when AFD came out.  I had been bonding with Dad over Metallica, but when I heard AFD I was like, sorry, Dad, I'm with these guys.  He was cool about it.  Mum wasn't.  When I begged her to let me go and see Guns in concert in 89 she said over my dead body, they are dangerous, they do drugs, they drop F-bombs.  No amount of, but all my friends are going, I promise I won't ever drop F-bombs, ever, would sway her.  So I had to go and see Poison instead.  She thought that was a fair exchange.  God.  I never forgave her.  :lol:  

I still clearly remember popping my AFD cassette tape into my little black getto blaster, bedroom door firmly shut, surrounded by my posters of GNR and Motely Crue, and the song that blew my mind to pieces wasn't Jungle, it was It's So Easy.  I still remember my exact thought upon hearing the vocal kick in: That fucking voice...are there two singers?  And then immediately berating myself for dropping the dreaded F-bomb.   

I became obsessed with 3 songs: Easy, Brownstone and Michelle.  The others I wouldn't give my time to just yet, it was these three that spoke to me loudest.  And I had to go through the tedious process of fast-forwarding and rewinding the fucking tape back and forth all day long to listen to my favourite songs on repeat (for you millennials, this is what we had to do!).

Those 3 songs (especially My Michelle) had a rawness and a brutal honesty to them I had never heard in Metallica, certainly not Motley Crue and I was never the same after that. Mind altered forever. :lol: 

I did forgive my mother, this year, when I finally got to see them live for the first time!

• Like 2

Gnrcane    136

My friend got the AFD CD when I was 12 years old.  My mom wouldn't let me buy "heavy metal" so I would go to his house and listen as much as I could.  The music just "clicked" with me.  Then Lies came out and OIAM was like my favorite song.  I was so impressed that Axl just said FU to the world and put those lyrics out.

My obsession was locked in for life when UYI came out.  I bought both immediately and played them constantly in my car (being in high school now).  One night I was going out with a couple of friends and one brought a female friend of his along.  From the time she got in my car, all she wanted to do was talk about GNR.  We started dating solely on the foundation of loving GNR.  She was the one I went to see them in Miami on 12/31/91 with.  It was my first concert of any kind.  My life was missing something when they broke up.  

• Like 2

Tokyo DVD, watch it maybe on age 5 or 6, by that time i was grow up listening various hard rock or heavy metal casette from my dad, so even though I don't understand anything about their lyric and English language i was very comfortable with the music genre and kinda like it. 

So after watch it first time i already feel that i knew some of the song before, watch it 2 or 3 times later i got really hooked with Rocket Queen with it's extended jam, then by 2 or 3 weeks i already deduced that Estranged is their best song, and it's was my favorite ever since, liking the band completely was just next gradual step. 

janrichmond    3,014

I was in my early 20s when i heard Jungle on the radio and thought 'i like that song' then i heard Sweet Child and went and bought Appetite for a pressie for my brother in law, which i taped before i gave it to him:P

Then i bought it on CD and kept the tape for the car. That was back in the 80s. Loved them until Slash left but it was Axl that made me a fan initially after seeing him dancing and hearing his amazing voice. 

• Like 1

Lies They Tell    787

All I know is that I loved Welcome To The Jungle, Coma, You Could Be Mine, Don't Damn Me, Nightrain and many other GNR songs immediately when I heard them. Their songs has the kind of aggressive energy that puts me on a great mood. Nirvana is similar in that sense, but in the end GNR has more variety in their songs and that makes me appreciate GNR more. GNR songs deal with many different topics and themes, so no matter what mood I'm on, there's usually some GNR songs that fits my mood perfectly. I'm not sure if I can say that about any other band. Axl's voice plays an important part also. He sounds cool without trying to sound like a though guy. I sense some kind of irony in his voice. Even when he's singing about kicking someones ass, it doesn't sound lame cause it feels tongue in cheek. Variety is important to me, so I love the fact that Axl uses so many different voices.

There's so many reasons why I love GNR that I could go on and on, but don't really have time for that now.

Gibson_Guy87    714
1 hour ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

So I had to go and see Poison instead.  She thought that was a fair exchange.  God.  I never forgave her.  :lol: 

You would've been 18 in '90 if I'm doing the math right. You didn't try and catch em on the UYI tour? They hit the states several times 

default_    513

For me it was my family. Everyones into rock n roll here since forever and during my childhood people were watching an old MTV video compilation, Jungle was one of 'em and at the momment I saw that video I got crazy about the band. 

Since then I've been following the band one way another, lost the interest when Chinese came out, then got some interest again after some time, lost it again, got it again, and again after the reunion. I'll probably lose it again if they dont release any music in the next two years or so. 

Draguns    135

In October 1987, my parents decided  to get cable. I was watching MTV with my dad and a video montage came  filled with clips. It had George Michael "Faith", Bon Jovi "Living on a Prayer", and a red headed screaming banshee in an electric chair. My dad said this was an awesome band. A few days later, I listened to Jungle in full. It helped me to get the aggression out since I was in the middle of a fight for my education as a person with a disability. There was no ADA at that point. I was  11 years old and beat the Board of Education. 

I fell for GNR because of that. They were rebels and had to fight like  I did to survive.  Besides this, it was Axl's  voice, Slash's guitar playing, Duff and Izzy coolness, and Adler  always smiling along with his drumbeats. 

• Like 3

rocknroll41    456

Welcome to the Jungle was where it started for me. 

By the way, it's kinda funny reading about kids here discovering GNR in like 2011 or 2012. Makes me feel a little old, but at the same time, it's nice to know GNR's influence continues to bring in new fans to this very day. 

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

ceres    26

I was turned on to them by a high school friend when YCBM was released as a single (for Terminator 2) before the UYI releases.  From there I got into them big time.  Then seeing them perform brought it to the next level.    Watching Axl run across the stage and throwing his Mike stand and screaming his heart out.  I've never seen anything like it.  All anger and passion together with amazing music and lyrics.  Pure rock and roll energy of which I have not seen the likes since. 

chevelle    163

My dad bought the Greatest Hits CD when it first came out, and I was 12 years old. Up to that point the only music I had really liked was shitty nu-metal (Limp Bizkit, Saliva, etc). So this was something entirely different for me - it still had the aggression I liked in nu-metal, but it also had more balls and more swagger, and it felt more dangerous. And as I dove deeper into the band, I found that there were more sides to their music than just that: there were piano tunes, flirtations with electronics, near metal songs, sappy ballads. I didn't know what any of those things were at the time, but they caught my ear by way of being so different than what I knew, and as a result, GNR started my love of vastly different kinds of music.

Ratam    805
2 hours ago, Draguns said:

In October 1987, my parents decided  to get cable. I was watching MTV with my dad and a video montage came  filled with clips. It had George Michael "Faith", Bon Jovi "Living on a Prayer", and a red headed screaming banshee in an electric chair. My dad said this was an awesome band. A few days later, I listened to Jungle in full. It helped me to get the aggression out since I was in the middle of a fight for my education as a person with a disability. There was no ADA at that point. I was  11 years old and beat the Board of Education. 

I fell for GNR because of that. They were rebels and had to fight like  I did to survive.  Besides this, it was Axl's  voice, Slash's guitar playing, Duff and Izzy coolness, and Adler  always smiling along with his drumbeats. 

👍👍👏