Is it worth it for GNR to release new music?

2 hours ago, EvanG said:

Well, most bands don't last 30 or 40 years so there aren't that many examples. I thought you meant that most bands didn't manage to surpass their first couple of albums. And that is true for some, but when I go through my record collection, a lot of bands/artists made their best album not until halfway through their career.

Yeh, I wasn't saying that, this topic is about acts 20/30+ years into a career, not relatively new bands (going 10/15 years) . Definitely a lot of bands make their best work a few albums in, lots of examples of that.  

On 19/08/2017 at 11:50 PM, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

It is never better to burn out, or stop producing music early on.  It is always better to keep releasing music for as long as the artist is happy and excited to do so. 

Fans like choice.  So what if an artist releases some sub-par music later in their career, some 

Artists should never do what Guns did: break up early, don't speak to each other for 20 years, then get back together in their twilight, when time is against them, and I guess I'm speaking specifically of Axl.  Time is definitely against his ability to keeping singing live.  He has effectively wasted his prime years.  It's really sad.

It kind of worked in their favour though, I doubt they'd be playing stadiums world wide if they'd never broken up

55 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

It kind of worked in their favour though, I doubt they'd be playing stadiums world wide if they'd never broken up

It definitely did.  Aerosmith was playing arenas during their late 80's second peak.  Even the tour that GNR opened for was mostly Arenas/Amphitheaters.  The breakup led to a pent up demand that allowed them to play stadiums on NITL.  Maybe the same pent up demand will sell more of new music because people have waited so long.

The simple answer is, Yes. 

There is demand for a new album. It would drop and people would be talking about it. 

However, as the past 4 pages have pointed out, there is a lot of water under the bridge and the "band" don't have time on their side to screw around and waste like they did in the 90s and noughties! 

2 sticking points for me. 

* I wonder how much this has actually been discussed between Axl, Slash & Duff?? Have they had in depth discussion about this actual topic? All we know is at this stage, that Slash & Duff signed contracts to tour. I'm more than sure that Slash had riffs ready to go for new songs, and I'm More than sure Axl has lyrics written. The major decision to make once they do say yeah let's do an album is, do we release leftovers, do we release just what we consider good stuff and write new stuff? The questions go on and on, the problem is, they don't have years to stuff about. Axls voice is deteriorating from his prime years, that's the major issue here and the window of opportunity is probably only 2 or 3 years, then you tour the album and say goodbye. 

The second major issue I have as discussed is, do we really want music from this line up? I know that's an old argument, done to death, but it's a burning question if the decision has been made to work on an album after this run of shows (which I'm doubtful on). 

There is no valid reason for Adler or Izzy not to be on any new album, they are both able to work. They both would do it (Adler would do it for free, Izzy would if you paid him what he's worth). Strip the line up back. Frank, fortus Melissa are NOT needed, and Axl has paid his dues to them through this NITL tour! The only person possibly needed outside the AFD 5 would be Dizzy and that would be ok by me. 10 songs for an album, stripped back, 5 of the best from the 93-96 sessions, and CD left overs and 4 or 5 new ones. 

All of this is shit talk though because it won't happen. The cash is in the bank, and I honestly think they will just tour now. 

They will release a best of NITL dvd, some more merch, no interviews. Maybe if you're lucky one day some illusions stuff will leak, but that'll be it. 

Edited by Tadsy
  • Like 1

A new GNR album will sell like water in the desert... You see Hardwired, a long waited album for Metallica fans and metal fans in general, it's still charting on the Billboard like a pro, I think new music if it's really really good will sell tons and keep it fresh

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tadsy said:

The simple answer is, Yes. 

There is demand for a new album. It would drop and people would be talking about it. 

However, as the past 4 pages have pointed out, there is a lot of water under the bridge and the "band" don't have time on their side to screw around and waste like they did in the 90s and noughties! 

2 sticking points for me. 

* I wonder how much this has actually been discussed between Axl, Slash & Duff?? Have they had in depth discussion about this actual topic? All we know is at this stage, that Slash & Duff signed contracts to tour. I'm more than sure that Slash had riffs ready to go for new songs, and I'm More than sure Axl has lyrics written. The major decision to make once they do say yeah let's do an album is, do we release leftovers, do we release just what we consider good stuff and write new stuff? The questions go on and on, the problem is, they don't have years to stuff about. Axls voice is deteriorating from his prime years, that's the major issue here and the window of opportunity is probably only 2 or 3 years, then you tour the album and say goodbye. 

The second major issue I have as discussed is, do we really want music from this line up? I know that's an old argument, done to death, but it's a burning question if the decision has been made to work on an album after this run of shows (which I'm doubtful on). 

There is no valid reason for Adler or Izzy not to be on any new album, they are both able to work. They both would do it (Adler would do it for free, Izzy would if you paid him what he's worth). Strip the line up back. Frank, fortus Melissa are NOT needed, and Axl has paid his dues to them through this NITL tour! The only person possibly needed outside the AFD 5 would be Dizzy and that would be ok by me. 10 songs for an album, stripped back, 5 of the best from the 93-96 sessions, and CD left overs and 4 or 5 new ones. 

All of this is shit talk though because it won't happen. The cash is in the bank, and I honestly think they will just tour now. 

They will release a best of NITL dvd, some more merch, no interviews. Maybe if you're lucky one day some illusions stuff will leak, but that'll be it. 

As much I want new music as much as the next person. This is my 2 cents worth. Any music Axl has done axl does not OWN. All this talk of Axl having enough music for CD2 or 3 , and why doesn't Axl release this music - I think some people are missing the point that all of this music is OWNED by Interscope. As such Interscope will be the ones especially if they have to release and market any music with the names " Guns N rOSES" on the cover will have the final say and have their own demands. Which is basically this - Any future music Axl wants released under the name "Guns n Roses" will have Slash and Duff on x amount of tracks. Period. Interscope damn well know how much this tour is grossing and know that Slash and Duff  = $$$$$. No slash and duff on any recordings will not be given the green light from Interscope. Im sure Interscope were pissed off how much CD sold and maybe pissed the album sales weren't to their liking to recup money back from sales, they aren't going to make the same mistake twice and let Axl call the shots in terms of any future music.

• Like 1

Was CD a sales success?

if it was a failure in the eyes of the label, then I can't imagine the label are eager to release CD2, but knowing slash is on board the label will most likely push for new recordings or at least refresh the CD stuff with slash on guitar.

Is it worth it? Ummmm... Are they creative artists who like to create music? If the answer is yes then of course it's worth it, whether it sells 1 album or 10 million albums. Are they a live performing act who has no interest in creating music and would rather live off the legacy they built 25-30 years ago essentially become their own tribute act? If yes then..... well if ys then fuck them. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RONIN said:

And yet - that's probably what he will end up doing. Because this is GnR - the band run by a lunatic redhead and the most incompetent management team in the world. The same guy who refused to make cock rock albums with Slash for 20 years and subsequently broke up the band is now open to doing a butt rock album + tour with Angus. The mind boggles at the thought.

This fanbase has been getting shafted for decades - why carry delusions that things will change now - it's all par for the course as Slash would say.

100% agree. 

But, the thing that keeps us all coming back (or at least me) is the fact that I never thought I'd see these pair share a stage again, and yet here we are. Haha

theres still hope! Anything is possible. :)

seriously though, we can't be long off finding out what the next move is, they've announced the next set of North American shows, but what next? 

Do they go on a break? Announce more shows? Announce nothing and get in the studio? What has Axl agreed to do with angus? And for how long? you would think we'd get some sort of idea by November? The Southern hemisphere summer is looming and I don't expect GNR back here at all. But Axl/DC hasn't been down here so that's a possibility I guess??? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tadsy said:

100% agree. 

But, the thing that keeps us all coming back (or at least me) is the fact that I never thought I'd see these pair share a stage again, and yet here we are. Haha

theres still hope! Anything is possible. :)

seriously though, we can't be long off finding out what the next move is, they've announced the next set of North American shows, but what next? 

Do they go on a break? Announce more shows? Announce nothing and get in the studio? What has Axl agreed to do with angus? And for how long? you would think we'd get some sort of idea by November? The Southern hemisphere summer is looming and I don't expect GNR back here at all. But Axl/DC hasn't been down here so that's a possibility I guess??? 

I don't think we'll get news of any plans, any time soon, if ever.  Or if we do, it'll be someone unwittingly dropping a hint or a bombshell via social media.  I am very happy to eat my words if I'm wrong because I'd love nothing more than to know what's happening.   

You already made the great point that Axl, Slash and Duff mostly likely haven't discussed future plans or the logistics of implementing all the various plans/options in any depth yet.  Staggering inability to communicate and/or get their shit together seems to be a defining feature of these guys, always has been, so I don't expect any real progress in that department.  

The only area of Guns N' Roses where I'm stupidly optimistic is in the possibility of them writing new material for an album.  I'm probably crazy, but I feel they can/will do this.  If I'm wrong I'll have to eat my words again, and then cry into my beer. :lol:

• Like 1

Theres all this "Oh, but theres nothing more to say, no more anger left on them" but hey, a real artist can writte about pretty much anything, anything can stimulate an artist to create new things.

I'm not a professional, but I had a band and I've released some stuff, I've also released a book and a lot of short stories and I'm not a pro what means I do this in my free time, which is really scarce cause I work and I also study. My point is, if I can do it and I consider my life to be reeaally boring compared to what these guys have lived, imagine them, real pros that had interesting lifes in their youth and their adulthood... I strongly belive Axl has life story for a thousand songs... Specially during his wilderner years.

And music wise, some here said Snakepit is bad, but its my fav Slash work outside GNR, and World on Fire, his latest album, is my fav after that. Just imagine what he'll be able to do now with Axl back onboard, Duff punky edge, Fortus bluesy approach and skills, heck, even Melissa's backing vocals could be a great addition a la Gimme Shelter.

• Like 3

I kind of think they should quit while they are ahead.  While I would love a kick ass new album I would also hate for them to release an album that isn't on par with at least the illusions and have serious doubts that this line up could do that.  If it isn't as good it will be ripped apart.  God forbid it sounds like CD.  CD may have a cult following but the majority of people out there will most likely want a kick ass Rock N' Roll record not some experimental progressive chasing the latest trend crap. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I kind of think they should quit while they are ahead.  While I would love a kick ass new album I would also hate for them to release an album that isn't on par with at least the illusions and have serious doubts that this line up could do that.  If it isn't as good it will be ripped apart.  God forbid it sounds like CD.  CD may have a cult following but the majority of people out there will most likely want a kick ass Rock N' Roll record not some experimental progressive chasing the latest trend crap. 

Yeah even though I kinda like CD, I don't think recycling the leftover CD material would work. They'd have to start fresh, and who knows if Axl would want to go through the trouble of doing that. Here's hoping, though!

• Like 1

I'm not sure circumstances surrounding this semi reunion are conducive to writing an album to be honest. It seems the tour is all about cash. It was organised by Live Nation, with Team Brazil chucking out some extra brand associations, sponsors and clothing ranges to add extra cash on top of that pile. The fact it consists of the three financial stakeholders, and not Stradlin or Adler who were bought out of the partnership, tells you all you need to know. It was a tour put forth by Live Nation to the three financial partners who promptly agreed to it.

It was never an organic bona fide creative rapprochement.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm not sure circumstances surrounding this semi reunion are conducive to writing an album to be honest. It seems the tour is all about cash. It was organised by Live Nation, with Team Brazil chucking out some extra brand associations, sponsors and clothing ranges to add extra cash on top of that pile. The fact it consists of the three financial stakeholders, and not Stradlin or Adler who were bought out of the partnership, tells you all you need to know. It was a tour put forth by Live Nation to the three financial partners who promptly agreed to it.

It was never an organic bona fide creative rapprochement.

All tours these days are organized by a promoter.  Axl, Duff and Slash being the 3 remaining partners in GNR may not have anything to do with who is on this tour.  It is taken as fact that Steven was going to play the AFD songs until he needed back surgery.  It is also an assumed fact that they were negotiating with Izzy and couldn't come to an agreement with him.  

Since I haven't seen the contracts (nor has anybody else that I know of on here), we don't know if the contract is with the GNR partnership that the 3 of them are a part of or if the contract is with Axl's GNR entity and he contracted with Slash and Duff.  Or, the GNR branding could be being licensed from Axl's entity and they each have a contract to perform.  Izzy and Steven still get paid something for performance rights of every song that either of them had songwriting credits on.  It is nowhere near what A, S and D get to do the concerts but it is a lot more than 0.

This article that I found about Metallica indicates that they interact with each other about as much as it seems Axl does with the rest of the band yet they keep putting out new music.  Click for article about Metallica

• Like 1

@Gnrcane Thanks for the link.  That made for very interesting reading. And yeah, that was news to me that the Metallica guys pretty much keep themselves to themselves, yet still put on great live shows/put out albums.  Shows what can happen when rock stars grow up.

We tend to complain about never-changing set lists and the general predictability of the tour, but it occurred to me that from their perspective, treating the tour like a job is a positive thing and a sign of progress (remember when Axl said he loved the idea of Angus being his boss; singing for AC/DC being a job) as opposed to the days when Axl would declare they weren't obligated to start on time because it's 'rock and roll' and they're 'just a band'.  Now they've finally matured they seem to have a newfound sense of responsibility.  I guess that inevitably takes away from the erratic, edgy, train wreck we used to love them for, but this way, we may get a functional band that can actually achieve something without disintegrating on us.  

6 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

All tours these days are organized by a promoter.  Axl, Duff and Slash being the 3 remaining partners in GNR may not have anything to do with who is on this tour.  It is taken as fact that Steven was going to play the AFD songs until he needed back surgery.  It is also an assumed fact that they were negotiating with Izzy and couldn't come to an agreement with him.  

Since I haven't seen the contracts (nor has anybody else that I know of on here), we don't know if the contract is with the GNR partnership that the 3 of them are a part of or if the contract is with Axl's GNR entity and he contracted with Slash and Duff.  Or, the GNR branding could be being licensed from Axl's entity and they each have a contract to perform.  Izzy and Steven still get paid something for performance rights of every song that either of them had songwriting credits on.  It is nowhere near what A, S and D get to do the concerts but it is a lot more than 0.

This article that I found about Metallica indicates that they interact with each other about as much as it seems Axl does with the rest of the band yet they keep putting out new music.  Click for article about Metallica

Yes but are all reunions organized by a promoter?

It seems to me that this reunion was not brought about through any sort of organic creative urge, but to make money. I do not find those conditions very conducive to producing albums.