GNR v Hollywood Rose

32 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

Who did the songs they shared better? For me..

Reckless Life - GNR...but it's close

Shadow of Your Love- GNR

Anything Goes- Hollywood Rose

In my book, My way Your Way is like 18 million times more animalesque in Hollywood Rose. The duelling guitars of Izzy and Weber are really really great great and Axl sings it like an animal on the prowl. Lyrics and vocal melodies are much better too in My Way Your Way, specially the "I'm gonna work it out" part.

:headbang:

5 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

In my book, My way Your Way is like 18 million times more animalesque in Hollywood Rose. The duelling guitars of Izzy and Weber are really really great great and Axl sings it like an animal on the prowl. Lyrics and vocal melodies are much better too in My Way Your Way, specially the "I'm gonna work it out" part.

:headbang:

Yeah it sounds alot meaner. The other two i prefer the touch of sleaze GNR brought to the table

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Guns. Hollywood Rose sounded too much like Judas Priest for my tastes.

I've never really listened to Judas Priest so i couldn't really make a comparison. What i have heard from them sounds like pretty generic metal, Hollywood Rose has more metal leanings than Guns...thrash even..but i think it has a pretty exciting vibe to it.

15 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Guns. Hollywood Rose sounded too much like Judas Priest for my tastes.

I definitely heard a lot of Rob Halford in Axl on that Hollywood Rose CD.. Halford is a fucking beast of a singer..

10 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

I've never really listened to Judas Priest so i couldn't really make a comparison. What i have heard from them sounds like pretty generic metal, Hollywood Rose has more metal leanings than Guns...thrash even..but i think it has a pretty exciting vibe to it.

I really enjoyed the Hollywood Rose CD too.. I would have to go with the Gn'R versions across the board though.

One more on Priest.. I was never into them growing up but they have slowly grown on me big time in later years!! They have a ton of material. It isn't all good but there is definitely some great stuff. If you want to give them a shot, I would go with
"Unleashed in the East" first then give "Screaming For Vengeance a few spins"

Edited by Tom-Ass

8 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I definitely heard a lot of Rob Halford in Axl on that Hollywood Rose CD.. Halford is a fucking beast of a singer..

I really enjoyed the Hollywood Rose CD too.. I would have to go with the Gn'R versions across the board though.

One more on Priest.. I was never into them growing up but they have slowly grown on me big time in later years!! They have a ton of material. It isn't all good but there is definitely some great stuff. If you want to give them a shot, I would go with

thanks for the priest advice... i like HALFORD first album a lot (no fillers on that one!) but never paid too much attention to priest

9 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Cool i'll check them out.

15 hours ago, ludurigan said:

thanks for the priest advice... i like HALFORD first album a lot (no fillers on that one!) but never paid too much attention to priest

I actually got into his solo stuff first!! The first album from his band FIGHT is one of my favorite metal albums of all time and I also love that first HALFORD album.. I crank it every time I am on the way to get a new Tattoo.  \m/

Hollywood Rose had a typical "glam/sleaze" rock sound of the 80's and so did the early incarnation of those songs.  What makes Guns N' Roses special, is that they separated themselves from that sound and those songs evolved with them.  There isn't a Hollywood Rose song that wouldn't sound completely outdated right now....including the early versions of those songs....but listening to the G N' R versions, they have sustained the test of time and are considered classics now.