How important was Izzy to GNR? Or, not being so specific, how important is the rhythm guitar player to a band? Paul Stanley talks about it -- NO IZZY MENTION

I give this a written like since the button is not present during the update. It would be cool if Izzy talked about how he writes and works on the rhythms. True that rhythm provides the anchor and the contour, I think that is why Izzy and Adler worked so well together, and why Izzy was the most clear on what a disaster Adler not being there was. Sometimes the rhythm and push and pull is not paid much attention to in rock, from the audience standpoint, but every great band had a great rhythm player and drummer. There is something different about rhythm players, they inject the soul and the beat, the feel. Sure all the good lead guitarists are awesome and captivating but it just goes off the rails and can get boring if the rhythm is not there, I almost think rhythm players are more sophisticated in their approach, more deliberate, but I am not a professional, just an opinion.  Thanks for posting

3 hours ago, Pishy said:

I give this a written like since the button is not present during the update. It would be cool if Izzy talked about how he writes and works on the rhythms. True that rhythm provides the anchor and the contour, I think that is why Izzy and Adler worked so well together, and why Izzy was the most clear on what a disaster Adler not being there was. Sometimes the rhythm and push and pull is not paid much attention to in rock, from the audience standpoint, but every great band had a great rhythm player and drummer. There is something different about rhythm players, they inject the soul and the beat, the feel. Sure all the good lead guitarists are awesome and captivating but it just goes off the rails and can get boring if the rhythm is not there, I almost think rhythm players are more sophisticated in their approach, more deliberate, but I am not a professional, just an opinion.  Thanks for posting

Could you imagine Izzy with his amp cranked wide open ripping through some GNR riffs like Stanley above....sadly i think our imagination is the only place something like that would take place!

Can't really take anything Paul Stanley says too seriously to be honest.

Izzy was more important as a songwriter than a rythym guitarist in my eyes but the dual work on AFD and some of the UYI I hard rock tracks goes down as some of the best layering in music history.

absolutely fuckin' essential.  The rhythm is it really, you can do away with the lead guitarist and still have a band with drums bass and rhythm.  A rock n roll band without rhythm guitar is like a non-alcoholic beer, pointless and ineffective.  At its heart this music is dancehall music, club music, its designed to make you move, its supposed to be propulsive.  And if it isn't it's shite.

Edited by Len Cnut

izzy is/was everything.  anyone who understands music, how it's written, structured and conducted knows izzy was the whole thing, he was the whole entire stage the others were able to go out and perform on.  

i get a real kick out of the people on this forum who try and  disrespect and discredit mr. stradlin then pay top dollar to go to shows and listen to his songs.    

the chief songwriter of any band is the most important, whether rythum guitar or piano or whatever.  izzy was the filter every gnr song went through.  

Edited by Sunset Gardner

Izzy was just the perfect middle ground for GNR, he was perfect in that role, I don't see Izzy ever coming back and having much hand in the songwriting process, but having an Izzy song on a future GNR release would definitely help.

Izzy is essential for any rock and roll band, very mediocre/generic on his own. 

Izzy kept it simple, kept things goin and I'm pretty sure we'd never had to take a Chinese Democracy had he stayed in the band, even if every other member but Axl and him decided to quit I'm sure if Izzy were still around the band would have survived quite well. Maybe even with a Zakk Wylde/Izzy combo, just imagine that shit? At the time Zakk were a hard bluesy rock n roll monster. He would even help Axl with the Elon John ballds.

Talkin rhythm in general, it usually makes the structure of a song sounds complete, without it, it sounds bland and empty.

Sometimes those riffs underneath the solos are essential to keep the song strong; bands like Primus & Rush can do just fine with only one guitarist because of how strong the bassist is.

I'd love to hear how an album like Appetite sounds with only one layer of guitars playing and the rest of the guitar leads muted.

7 minutes ago, chevelle said:

But if his solo output is any indication, he hasn't been an interesting songwriter in decades and isn't important to the band now.

Give his records another spin, I can't believe that a GNR fan can listen to Izzys records and not find at least a few songs to enjoy :) 

33 minutes ago, downliner said:

Give his records another spin, I can't believe that a GNR fan can listen to Izzys records and not find at least a few songs to enjoy :) 

I did back in the height of my GNR obsession and even then they didn't do much for me...a few good songs here and there, but most of it struck me as middle of the road bluesy rock. :(

1 hour ago, chevelle said:

He's a great rhythm player, and was hugely important as a songwriter back in the day. But if his solo output is any indication, he hasn't been an interesting songwriter in decades and isn't important to the band now.

His solo stuff doesn't really make me feel anything, i don't hate it but i don't particularly like it. Listening to music i wanna feel some emotion (anger, sadness, joy, excitement), i want it to grab me and slap me around the face whatever it is, Izzy's stuff just kinda ambles along.

Edited by Silverburst80

22 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

His solo stuff doesn't really make me feel anything, i don't hate it but i don't particularly like it. Listening to music i wanna feel some emotion (anger, sadness, joy, excitement), i want it to grab me and slap me around the face whatever it is, Izzy's stuff just kinda ambles along.

Exactly man. It's just sort of there for me.

On 23/08/2017 at 1:47 AM, ludurigan said:

Paul Stanley talks about rhythm guitar, song structure and more.

Nice bits about how important the rhythm guitar player is to a band.

Immediatelly thought about FORTUS...

Yes, I thought about Fortus too :headbang:

Edited by Sunset Boulevard

8 hours ago, Sunset Boulevard said:

Yes, I thought about Fortus too :headbang:

@Sunset Boulevard your post WHERE YOU CHANGED MY WORDS has been reported

For everyone reading this forum, I wrote "Izzy" (see opening post) but @Sunset Boulevard quoted my post and changed "Izzy" to "Fortus"

What a fucking crap

Hope mods can do something about it

Thanks

Izzy's rhythm in SCOM makes Slash's guitar solo.  I've long believed that behind any great guitar solo is a great rhythm section.  Axl's piano in the November Rain outro serves the same purpose.  

I would say very essential to GNR's material.