What happened to Steven Adler?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2017 at 11:11 AM, Sunset Gardner said:

I think Steven played his cards wrong.  His mothers book was the wrong book at the wrong time and whoever advised him to do press for it didn't have his best interests in mind and maybe had a financial interest in the book.  His interviews were lame, he should've kept his mouth shut, I can't imagine the singer and his enablers at Team Yes were excited that steven was already off the rails having been back in the circle for five seconds. 

with that said I'm glad he's got the self respect to deny the single song guest spots they were insulting him and us with.  

clearly slash and duff are sellouts and only care about money and posting pictures on social media, its best Steven stays away, he needs real people and real friends at this point in his life.  not lord axl and what remains of the band he did his best to destroy.  

Steven was there when it was honest and when it all mattered.  afd and the songs Steven demoed for UYI are the core of gnr.  axl must hate that, and slash and duff must just not care, they're too busy counting the extra money they got after selling out izzy stradlin.  

I dont understand why people don't hold Steven accountable for his own bad choices. You had it right in that first paragraph though. That book wasn't good for Steven.

Perhaps he was on a sort of trial basis but at the end of the day he proved why they were right in not offering him more.

Also is it a good idea to throw him completely back in the tour life and if he relapses having him blame the band. 

Steven needs to take blame for his own addictions. Just as other band members had to. Addicts blame others a person who truly wishes to change will take responsibility for their own actions.

Sure others did the same but their sobriety is much more long lived than Steven's. Steven is like a child at times.

Love the guys spirit but can definetly understand the concern of the rest of the band.

Oh and Izzy Stradlin sold himself out when he sold his share of the band rights for a huge payout. He has hisself to blame.

Edited by BOSSY78
Spell
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2017 at 2:48 PM, rocknroll41 said:

I was thinking about this just yesterday. The whole situation is very strange. Adler claims he was originally supposed to be involved as a full-time touring member for all the AFD and Lies songs, and that he was even gonna get paid more than Frank, but then (according to him, at least) after his back injury the band changed their mind.

how does it go from that to "we can't pay for your plane tickets or hotel" and "what the fuck is he doing here?" And "only one/ two song(s)" And "you can go to Japan or Thailand but you have to pick one, you can't go to both."

something just isn't adding up for me.

I thought the same. But fans will only see it as Steven done dirty when in fact there is likely more to this story.

Remember Stevens interviews he was giving before the official announcement about how Duff thinks he sucks as a drummer and Slash doesn't believe hes clean? He even said Slash wouldn't meet him for lunch over the years always telling Steven hes busy.

Many forget that and assume Axl must be dictating. If we're to take what he says at face value it means Duff doesn't like his drumming(cue all the videos of Steven proving he can drum) Slash thinking hes not really clean and lying about it( the band gives him limited shows) flying him in for shows rather then having him tour. Perhaps that's to not risk his sobriety or perhaps theres more to that.

Also Steven stated 2 different sobriety dates in interviews. I thought that was odd.

As far as I know hes clean but Im still going with theres more to this story. Either way Stevens own words say Duff and Slash have the issues.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Both Steven and GNR are idiots. How they treated Steven sounds shitty and on the flip side, his moms book was the dumbest idea ever. Of course itd piss the GNR camp off. His mom seems foul

Wasnt she like forging his name on stuff about his own book? Seems to me I recall her being foul years ago too

10 hours ago, zombux said:

I guess he's out of money for drugs again, or is in the crybaby mood again, or both (most probable)

"Asked by the "Talk Toomey" podcast if he has any desire to play with GN'R again"

The interviewer trucking asked him a question and he answered it. How does that make him back on drugs or a cry baby?

On 17.9.2017 at 5:40 AM, Modano09 said:

Maybe not the money but the life style. Being on the road, being relevant again, etc. The guy always came off like he just wanted 1988 to last forever.

relevant AGAIN? Steven is and always will be relevant because the afd 5 wrote the lyrics and melodys that made Gnr a legend , combined with the divine voicw of Axl. 

steven is relevant to gnr while frank and all the other hired hands arent. they didn t create any magic. Steven and Izzy will always be relevant - no matter what the big 3 think... 

however his mom s book was really a mistake. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

"Asked by the "Talk Toomey" podcast if he has any desire to play with GN'R again"

The interviewer trucking asked him a question and he answered it. How does that make him back on drugs or a cry baby?

Agreed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I wish Steven would have some self respect like Izzy. Dude - you're a world class drummer on one of the best albums in history. The Illusion albums suffered without your involvement - to this day fans and critics criticize that album's drumming. Just go out there and do your thing like Izzy, you've got plenty of cash to retire so there's no point in being so servile to Axl and company. Those guys treated you like shit and don't deserve you. You don't need them to be happy or successful. 

His “I would do the reunion for a nickel and a dime“ attitude was probably responsible for this situation as well. That dude sold himself under value and that was one one of the biggest mistakes he could've made.

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I wish Steven would have some self respect like Izzy. Dude - you're a world class drummer on one of the best albums in history. The Illusion albums suffered without your involvement - to this day fans and critics criticize that album's drumming. Just go out there and do your thing like Izzy, you've got plenty of cash to retire so there's no point in being so servile to Axl and company. Those guys treated you like shit and don't deserve you. You don't need them to be happy or successful. 

This.

Why would he ever go back after they shut the lights off on him? I get that he loves those guys but it's so one sided... They're just going to use and humiliate him again if he does go back. :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Izzy and Steven seem to have diametrically opposed personalities in that Steven is backward looking and prefers to live in the past and Izzy is forward looking and cares very little for the past. Their involvement in the tour (or lack thereof) sort of represents that.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Zoot said:

This.

Why would he ever go back after they shut the lights off on him? I get that he loves those guys but it's so one sided... They're just going to use and humiliate him again if he does go back. :wacko:

Not so sure he does love those guys (don't think there's much love between Steven and any of them plus Steven's constant proclamations of love seem OTT), I think he just wants back in the band he helped make successful. 

The whole thing is bizarre.  Initially, Axl didn't exclude Steven, just like he didn't exclude Izzy, yet something went wrong somewhere that they gave Steven the boot and haven't asked him back.  I wonder if Steven was a threat to their sobriety, or a threat to an already delicate group dynamic?  It's easy to paint Axl and co as the bad guys, but it just doesn't make sense for Axl to get Steven on board only to kick him out soon afterwards.  It'd have been easier to just ignore him in the first place.  

Don't get me wrong, I think Steven ought to have a place in his own band for a 'reunion' tour and I don't for one second believe that Axl and co. would have welcomed Steven with open arms, but there are things that don't add up in this story.  There's more to it than any one of them is letting on.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, beautifulanddamned said:

Izzy and Steven seem to have diametrically opposed personalities in that Steven is backward looking and prefers to live in the past and Izzy is forward looking and cares very little for the past. Their involvement in the tour (or lack thereof) sort of represents that.

I think that in Steven's case, it's more about closure. GNR got really huge after he got kicked out so it might seem like unfinished business to him 

14 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Not so sure he does love those guys (don't think there's much love between Steven and any of them plus Steven's constant proclamations of love seem OTT), I think he just wants back in the band he helped make successful. 

The whole thing is bizarre.  Initially, Axl didn't exclude Steven, just like he didn't exclude Izzy, yet something went wrong somewhere that they gave Steven the boot and haven't asked him back.  I wonder if Steven was a threat to their sobriety, or a threat to an already delicate group dynamic?  It's easy to paint Axl and co as the bad guys, but it just doesn't make sense for Axl to get Steven on board only to kick him out soon afterwards.  It'd have been easier to just ignore him in the first place.  

Don't get me wrong, I think Steven ought to have a place in his own band for a 'reunion' tour and I don't for one second believe that Axl and co. would have welcomed Steven with open arms, but there are things that don't add up in this story.  There's more to it than any one of them is letting on.

This is the only answer that makes sense: Live Nation twisted the arm of Axl and Slash to bring in Steven and Izzy. They made a half-hearted gesture and it ended up not working out. LN was satisfied that they reached out to those two and Axl/Slash were pleased that it all fell through - cheaper and easier for them to keep Fortus and Frank on the payroll. And Axl has mentioned this before - that he would only be interested in reuniting with Slash and Duff if a reunion ever came to pass. 

36 minutes ago, RONIN said:

This is the only answer that makes sense: Live Nation twisted the arm of Axl and Slash to bring in Steven and Izzy. They made a half-hearted gesture and it ended up not working out. LN was satisfied that they reached out to those two and Axl/Slash were pleased that it all fell through - cheaper and easier for them to keep Fortus and Frank on the payroll. And Axl has mentioned this before - that he would only be interested in reuniting with Slash and Duff if a reunion ever came to pass. 

But why would LN want Steven and Izzy on board?  Surely it makes little difference to them whether it's Steven or Frank drumming, or Richard or Izzy on guitar?  They would surely know that the majority of ticket buyers are only interested in Axl and Slash, so I can't imagine they thought there'd be more money in having Steven and Izzy included?  I agree that from Axl and co. POV it's certainly easier to keep Frank and Richard, and cheaper than Izzy (we know Steven would play for free).

I didn't know Axl had said he only wanted to reunite with Slash and Duff.  Though it's unsurprising where Steven is concerned, I am surprised Axl wouldn't want to reunite with Izzy.  I thought those two were on good terms up until the reunion tour?

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle

When Marc Canter mentions he only sees Slash once or twice a year because of how busy Slash is, do people assume Slash can't stand Marc or does that only apply to Steven? I mean, we're talking about the same Slash who was hanging out with Steven at a John 5 gig after Steven gave those interviews earlier this year but no one seems to care...

"I mean, honestly I don’t think Axl trusts Izzy or Steven to have their shit together or be on time but I think he knows that Slash and Duff are a solid commodity.  I know Steven is too because I’ve seen his band and I know what he’s capable of." - Marc Canter

That's all there is to it, Axl himself said what Marc said of only working with Slash and Duff. Fortunately we have Marc -who knows these guys and knows how solid Steven would be- bringing a bit of common sense in the middle of all this "he's unreliable"/"he might relapse" nonsense.

Beyond sick of this whole subject.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

But why would LN want Steven and Izzy on board?  Surely it makes little difference to them whether it's Steven or Frank drumming, or Richard or Izzy on guitar?  They would surely know that the majority of ticket buyers are only interested in Axl and Slash, so I can't imagine they thought there'd be more money in having Steven and Izzy included?  I agree that from Axl and co. POV it's certainly easier to keep Frank and Richard, and cheaper than Izzy (we know Steven would play for free).

Simple. It's easier to sell a "reunion" when all 5 original members are on board. That's just good marketing regardless of the individual value of each member. Duff isn't drawing in a crowd by himself either, but he adds a nice amount of credibility to the current tour with his presence. I imagine Live Nation probably looked at it from that perspective. Their directive might simply have been, "Use Izzy and Steven if possible - it's better for business.

I didn't know Axl had said he only wanted to reunite with Slash and Duff.  Though it's unsurprising where Steven is concerned, I am surprised Axl wouldn't want to reunite with Izzy.  I thought those two were on good terms up until the reunion tour?

Yeah - it's from back in 2012 I think. I'm sure you've probably read it before. He mentions how the only alumni he would even consider working with for a reunion would be Slash and Duff. I guess the subtext there was that Duff and Slash are the only guys in the original band who maintained their careers and were still commercially viable musicians. Izzy and Steven are essentially off the radar these days.

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

This is the only answer that makes sense: Live Nation twisted the arm of Axl and Slash to bring in Steven and Izzy

No, this doesn't make sense. Live Nation knows its job well and thorough. They knew bringing Steven and Izzy on board would require more money - so if they stood behind that why they did not offer more money - like 5mil instead the initial 3mil per concert? They probably didn't support that option of bringing them back.

And I think they knew how the money was (going to be) split between the members thus allowing the to calculate the salary.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

No, this doesn't make sense. Live Nation knows its job well and thorough. They knew bringing Steven and Izzy on board would require more money - so if they stood behind that why they did not offer more money - like 5mil instead the initial 3mil per concert? They probably didn't support that option of bringing them back.

And I think they knew how the money was (going to be) split between the members thus allowing the to calculate the salary.

Respectfully disagree. I think selling a reunion of a legendary band would be more lucrative when you can bring all of the original members onboard instead of 3/5. 

As far as salary - they probably offered 3 million and told the band to carve it up as they saw fit. Axl and Slash are not splitting the loot with Steven and Izzy. Plain and simple. 

You really think Axl Rose would want to include Steven Adler in a reunion tour (with millions of dollars on the line) as a fulltime participant - this is essentially what Steven, Duff, and Axl have said. Prior to his back surgery, Steven was going to be handling the majority of drum duties. It's hard to fathom a situation where Axl would be willingly going along with this unless it was a live nation stipulation. 

Edited by RONIN