Is it true izzy didn't like covering live and let die??

17 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

Are you talking about the 2001 Hard Rock Interview? He was talking about getting the guys to learn covers for when Axl ran off the stage but there was no mention of Live and Let Die and he didn't say anything bad about the song.

No I read that interview also but the one I'm thinking about he seemed to say something like knocking on heavens door was great but live and let die he didn't see the cross over apeal for the band..I searched afew times to find the interview but can't find it ,also I can't remember if it's an audio one or written interview lol?

4 hours ago, craiggunslover said:

No I read it or heard it in one of his interviews  I am postive just can't find it and thought maybe someone on here might have come across it also

I remember reading that too before. Is it the one where he says that he was proud of knocking on heavens door and how they made it sound like their own but live and let die was unnecessary (not the exact word he used)?

18 hours ago, annabanana said:

I remember reading that too before. Is it the one where he says that he was proud of knocking on heavens door and how they made it sound like their own but live and let die was unnecessary (not the exact word he used)?

i just remember the knocking on heavens door bit

and remember he was proud because they turned it into some sort of "hymn"

well guess what, just googled the word "hymn" with "izzy stradlin" and there you have it

http://chinese-democracy.blogspot.com.br/2008/11/exclusive-interview-with-izzy-stradlin.html

amazing interview

and no mention of live and let die on it

Very interesting read, thanks for posting that @Kris_1989.  Love the way the editor has to interrupt to clarify things and how at one point Izzy talks about himself in the third person.  

Izzy sounds like he's not all there, to be honest.  Still, it was interesting reading his take on everything.  

He remembers some things, he doesn't remember other things; he gives the impression he doesn't really care one way or another, anymore.  

It was refreshing to read Steven, Slash and Duff NOT getting a free pass for once (because they so often do from the fans in general who 'forget' they were junkies and alcoholics and nightmares to deal with).  Axl was a dick, we already knew that.  But Izzy repeatedly mentions how fucked up the others were and how that affected him enough to want to leave.  

This is sad: "So, during this year, I attended the spectacle of my friends killing themselves. I didn't want to be an accomplice to that, I didn't want to wake up one day next to Slash's corpse telling myself that indirectly, I'd participated in it. And so, I left."

I think this communicates a lot about what it must have been like to be in that band at that time.  Sounds awful.  Reckon I might have left too.

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle

2 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

at one point Izzy talks about himself in the third person.  

Izzy sounds like he's not all there, to be honest.

No Izzy doesnt talk about himself in the third person.

He is telling the interviewer how he "talked to himself" in some points of his life.

Thats a very common thing to say when you are talking to someone about some turning-points in your life.

"At that moment, i said to myself: NAME, you can't do that anymore"

That has nothing to do with talking about himself in the third person

===

Izzy always offers the more insghtful and the more articulate descriptions -- even if some of the details have been long forgotten -- of Guns n Roses. I have no idea what you mean when you say "he's not all there" but if you think he is crazy or fucked up, i suppose you are really wrong

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

No Izzy doesnt talk about himself in the third person.

He is telling the interviewer how he "talked to himself" in some points of his life.

Thats a very common thing to say when you are talking to someone about some turning-points in your life.

"At that moment, i said to myself: NAME, you can't do that anymore"

That has nothing to do with talking about himself in the third person

===

Izzy always offers the more insghtful and the more articulate descriptions -- even if some of the details have been long forgotten -- of Guns n Roses. I have no idea what you mean when you say "he's not all there" but if you think he is crazy or fucked up, i suppose you are really wrong

Yes, he does.  Yes, it does.

Izzy talking about himself in 3rd person and plural:  "But, one day when I had to be clear, I said to myself: "Izzy, there's something wrong, we're screwing around!""  

(I actually think this is quite funny).

Quotes that demonstrate Izzy being somewhat dazed and confused:

"Nothing could please us more, even if some of his attitudes (he sniffles every thirty seconds) and lapses of memory come to make his speech a little confused" - from ED

"In April, 1995, I came back to work with Duff in Los Angeles. Duff was the bass player of Guns N' Roses (EDITOR'S NOTE: this precision is given by Izzy with all the seriousness in the world!)."

I surely don't need to explain the peculiarity of his statement?

"So I wanted to make another record, which we did: it was a double or a triple, I don't know anymore (EDITOR'S NOTE: there Izzy is again, perfectly serious while declaring that!)..."

Again, statement speaks for itself.

There are others, but I don't care enough to work that hard. :lol:

Look, I'm not bashing Izzy or trying to belittle him.  I'm not calling him crazy.  I think a combination of his being rather eccentric by nature and his years of being a serious drug addict probably took their toll on him mentally and he was, at that time, somewhat dazed and confused.  He seems happy enough and he's clean so it's all good.  I was merely making an observation.

Edit: correction: Izzy doesn't refer to himself in plural - he's talking about the band. 3rd person still stands.  Still, funny!

Guys, keep in mind that interview I posted has been translated from a French article so the wording will be a little off. 

Also, if you go to the Articles section of the site all interviews/articles from the 1980's to current are there and there is nothing about Live and Let Die.

Edited by Kris_1989

7 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

Guys, keep in mind that interview I posted has been translated from a French article so the wording will be a little off. 

Also, if you go to the Articles section of the site all interviews/articles from the 1980's to current are there and there is nothing about Live and Let Die.

Ah, I didn't know that.  That does shed a slightly different light on it, so thanks.  Still, the statements ED had to clarify are rather odd, but you know, no big deal.  

The main thing I took away from that article was the tragedy of it all, really.  And the waste.  And Izzy's obvious disappointment at how things turned out with Axl.

The self exertion to try to undermine Izzy is so ridiculous . " hey, I'm not saying anything bad about senile Izzy (probably why he had to go, wink wink)".  

How big of you to not dislike Izzy, keep playing passive aggressive against Izzy and spouting gibberish, no one cares. 

And im glad Izzy clarified who Duff was, he is the least remembered GnR member outside those who are very into GnR music.

Edited by Pishy

17 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

Well not to stir the pot, but I am sure he said the comment in one interview .he also said some thing  about the band's 92 Paris pay per view show which he paid to watch out of curiousty and didn't recognize the band anymore with the horn section and teddy zig zag big bag  being there and the band being a big bloated thing now could never see himself returning to that..

55 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Yes, he does.  Yes, it does.

Izzy talking about himself in 3rd person and plural:  "But, one day when I had to be clear, I said to myself: "Izzy, there's something wrong, we're screwing around!""  

(I actually think this is quite funny).

Quotes that demonstrate Izzy being somewhat dazed and confused:

"Nothing could please us more, even if some of his attitudes (he sniffles every thirty seconds) and lapses of memory come to make his speech a little confused" - from ED

"In April, 1995, I came back to work with Duff in Los Angeles. Duff was the bass player of Guns N' Roses (EDITOR'S NOTE: this precision is given by Izzy with all the seriousness in the world!)."

I surely don't need to explain the peculiarity of his statement?

"So I wanted to make another record, which we did: it was a double or a triple, I don't know anymore (EDITOR'S NOTE: there Izzy is again, perfectly serious while declaring that!)..."

Again, statement speaks for itself.

There are others, but I don't care enough to work that hard. :lol:

Look, I'm not bashing Izzy or trying to belittle him.  I'm not calling him crazy.  I think a combination of his being rather eccentric by nature and his years of being a serious drug addict probably took their toll on him mentally and he was, at that time, somewhat dazed and confused.  He seems happy enough and he's clean so it's all good.  I was merely making an observation.

Edit: correction: Izzy doesn't refer to himself in plural - he's talking about the band. 3rd person still stands.  Still, funny!

No, he didnt talk about himself in the third person

That would be something like "But, one day when IZZY had to be clear, IZZY said to HIMself:"

tHE piece "we're screwing around!"" is likely a translation problem

i have read enough Izzy interviews to tell you that Izzy is really articulate, Izzy never talks about himself in the third person and Izzy knows his stuff about GNR

43 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Ah, I didn't know that.  That does shed a slightly different light on it, so thanks.  Still, the statements ED had to clarify are rather odd, but you know, no big deal. 

Not really, if anything it just shows that Izzy's still humble. He doesn't assume that everyone knows who the bassist of GNR was. And the triple album thing was clearly a joke.

31 minutes ago, craiggunslover said:

Well not to stir the pot, but I am sure he said the comment in one interview

Well not to stir the pot even more, but I'm 100% sure that you're wrong. :P

And here's the Metal CD interview where he talks about the egos within the band and not wanting to return... still no mention of Live and Let Die. ;)

Edited by Kris_1989
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

All right calm down, people.  What is it about Izzy and Steven that makes people lose their minds?  Those two names are trigger topics for this forum.

@Kris_1989  Point taken.  Thanks again for posting the article, it was a really interesting read.  

Well, they're an important part of the original GNR sound and they're the two missing in this reunion tour.

5 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

All right calm down, people.  What is it about Izzy and Steven that makes people lose their minds?  Those two names are trigger topics for this forum.

@Kris_1989  Point taken.  Thanks again for posting the article, it was a really interesting read.  

your piece was at least original - you pretty much said izzy lost his mind. never saw/read that one before -- you were the first :rofl-lol:

problem is that you write something like that and ten minutes later people are repeating it everywhere on the internet like it was true

that's why you get a zillion people repeating nonsense like "izzy cant tour" "izzy wont tour" "izzy cant play" etc etc etc

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ludurigan said:

your piece was at least original - you pretty much said izzy lost his mind. never saw/read that one before -- you were the first :rofl-lol:

problem is that you write something like that and ten minutes later people are repeating it everywhere on the internet like it was true

that's why you get a zillion people repeating nonsense like "izzy cant tour" "izzy wont tour" "izzy cant play" etc etc etc

Well, I wouldn't want to start an internet rumour to add the list of internet rumours about Izzy so in the spirit of clarification.... :lol:

OK.  Fine.  Let me rephrase:

Izzy came across as a little peculiar in that interview (the interview being the context of my original post).  Clearly, I'm not the only one who thought so, because the editor also implies this both with statements of clarification (this cannot be ignored; clearly the editor felt the need to step in) and question marks, as indicted by: [?] about Izzy's use of language, which I don't think is a translation issue, since Ed is questioning Izzy's use of English, and states that, "lapses of memory come to make his speech a little confused."  

But I should think he flippin' well would lose his mind. *

He was in Guns N' Roses dealing with all that that entailed, dealing with his bandmates' issues and addictions and in-fighting, fans dying at Donnington (he seems particularly scarred by this, understandably).   And he was a long term drug addict.  He'd got so bad, his personal hygiene was called into question (Duff's book) and probably experienced hallucinatory episodes (Slash's book).  A person overcoming such serious long term addiction does not come out of that trauma unscathed.  It takes a long time to heal, both physically and mentally.  I don't doubt Izzy suffered some form of memory loss and/or communication issues in the years after getting clean. 

Added to his drug addiction ordeal, he experienced the trauma of just being in that band, which was the point of my original post and why I lifted the quote - for me, the most important part of the article:

"So, during this year, I attended the spectacle of my friends killing themselves. I didn't want to be an accomplice to that, I didn't want to wake up one day next to Slash's corpse telling myself that indirectly, I'd participated in it. And so, I left."

I don't know about you, but that part about 'waking up next to Slash's corpse' was particularly chilling.  It drove home for me just how damaging it was for Izzy to be in that band.  And when you read Izzy's account together with the Axl quote that Backstar provided in that train-wreck of a thread, What Happened to Steven Adler, you get a real sense of how toxic the band was for everyone involved.  But you know, we'll still get threads asking why did Izzy leave.

For me, it's pretty clear why Izzy left.  I don't think it's all that debatable.  Which is why I ended my original post with, I reckon I'd leave too. 

* No, I don't think Izzy is 'crazy', or 'senile'.  To lose your mind is a figure of speech here.  I think Izzy had a traumatic young adulthood being in GNR that left emotional scars.  I'm sure he is well and happy and in good mental health 30 years on. 

17 hours ago, Kris_1989 said:

Not really, if anything it just shows that Izzy's still humble. He doesn't assume that everyone knows who the bassist of GNR was. And the triple album thing was clearly a joke.

Well not to stir the pot even more, but I'm 100% sure that you're wrong. :P

And here's the Metal CD interview where he talks about the egos within the band and not wanting to return... still no mention of Live and Let Die. ;)

I know it's out there somewhere  ;))