THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

36 minutes ago, wasted said:

Qualify the regular way, then if you don’t you have NL playoffs/Euro qualifier playoff as back up. But you can’t rely on the playoffs. It’s lottery of extra time/penos v orher league A teams and just failed qualify against League C and D teams. 

But winning your group isn’t a big deal because you still have to beat League A winners to qualify. If England don’t qualify normally they won’t beat the teams in the playoffs to go through. 

It could all pan out well. But if England fail qualification then lose playoffs, they could win NL finals a few weeks before Euros. 

The main thing is NL playoffs are moot because normal qualification is pretty easy. It would be much better to let B, C, D teams into NL Finals and have wild card winner going into Euros. 

It has some good ideas: I like the fact it, to some extent, replaces meaningless friendlies with competitive matches between teams of approximately similar strengths, but I don't really like the fact that it is too convoluted and complicated and awards garbage teams too good an opportunity at qualifying. The finals are also meaningless as they are not connected with European qualification in any way.

If it was me I'd,

- Ditch League D's Euro play-offs, so dross like Kosovo doesn't qualify. 

- Award the Nations League Champion automatic Euro qualification

- throw the other three National League finalists in with the League B-C play-off teams, staggering favourable terms (finalist runner-up: ''with home advantage against worst team'', etc).

48 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It has some good ideas: I like the fact it, to some extent, replaces meaningless friendlies with competitive matches between teams of approximately similar strengths, but I don't really like the fact that it is too convoluted and complicated and awards garbage teams too good an opportunity at qualifying. The finals are also meaningless as they are not connected with European qualification in any way.

If it was me I'd,

- Ditch League D's Euro play-offs, so dross like Kosovo doesn't qualify. 

- Award the Nations League Champion automatic Euro qualification

- throw the other three National League finalists in with the League B-C play-off teams, staggering favourable terms (finalist runner-up: ''with home advantage against worst team'', etc).

I think they want to get more rubbish teams in to Euros. It motivates League D to try. Marketing, development of global game. 

It’s convoluted, but it does keep the games alive. If League A played their playoffs now and England won it, they have no meaningful games between now and 2020. 

I guess if you are worried about not qualifying for Euros and get into the playoffs you are one step closer. 

But England were celebrating like they won the world cup, but actually if they are any good they won’t need the playoffs. 

5 hours ago, wasted said:

It was actually less complicated.

The NL playoffs are the Euro qualifier playoffs. 

Yep, and if England finish 1st or 2nd in their EURO qualifing group they will be replaced by someone else in play-off so Nations League trophy can be won by some team that didn't finish 1st in Nations League group stage... System that awards losers :facepalm:

People that manage football are stupid - cut the f'n Euro to 8 teams and let the best win... If you cannot qualify - so what, you are loser and weak. You have Olympics to participate and not win...

56 minutes ago, -Jaro- said:

Yep, and if England finish 1st or 2nd in their EURO qualifing group they will be replaced by someone else in play-off so Nations League trophy can be won by some team that didn't finish 1st in Nations League group stage... System that awards losers :facepalm:

People that manage football are stupid - cut the f'n Euro to 8 teams and let the best win... If you cannot qualify - so what, you are loser and weak. You have Olympics to participate and not win...

Really? That’s a nuance I didn’t know. They lose their place in The NL Finals too? 

I have to admit I tried to work out how to these 2 comps and keep all the games competitive and couldn’t. 

Their solution is so convoluted it leads to mass delusion. It’s like a mirage. To Kane and Wenbley the NL Final was an oasis in the future. 

The problem is to get excitement you have to up the stakes. But you also want to be inclusive. But you don’t want Spain shagging teams in the finals so hard that everyone thinks it’s pointless. 

Maybe NL just shouldn’t be linked to Euros. Just make it more of a cup competition. As it is but in March it would be playoffs leading to a NL final. Fix it so teams in League D get to semis. Have two legs or straight to penalties after 90 mins. You want Macedonia to beat England in the final on penalties. 

The after the shitshow pick the 24 highest ranked teams for Euros. They must have an index or something. 

Edited by wasted

30 minutes ago, wasted said:

Really? That’s a nuance I didn’t know. They lose their place in The NL Finals too? 

I have to admit I tried to work out how to these 2 comps and keep all the games competitive and couldn’t. 

Their solution is so convoluted it leads to mass delusion. It’s like a mirage. To Kane and Wenbley the NL Final was an oasis in the future. 

The problem is to get excitement you have to up the stakes. But you also want to be inclusive. But you don’t want Spain shagging teams in the finals so hard that everyone thinks it’s pointless. 

Maybe NL just shouldn’t be linked to Euros. Just make it more of a cup competition. As it is but in March it would be playoffs leading to a NL final. Fix it so teams in League D get to semis. Have two legs or straight to penalties after 90 mins. You want Macedonia to beat England in the final on penalties. 

The after the shitshow pick the 24 highest ranked teams for Euros. They must have an index or something. 

That's what I concluded after reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Nations_League

" There will be play-offs for each of Leagues A, B, C and D in March 2020. Each group winner earns a spot in the semi-finals. If the group winner is already one of the twenty qualified teams, rankings will be used to give the play-off spot to another team of that league. If fewer than four teams in the entire league remain unqualified, play-off spots for that league are given to teams of the next lower league. This determines the four remaining qualifying spots for the European Championship (out of 24 total )"

and this:

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/news/newsid=2502936.html

Play-offs (4 teams qualify)
The last four EURO places will be won through the European Qualifiers play-offs, which will be contested by the 16 UEFA Nations League group winners (i.e. the four group winners in each of the four divisions).

HOW THE UEFA NATIONS LEAGUE WILL WORK

• Each league will have a path of its own and each path will feature two single-leg semi-finals and one single-leg final, drawn on 22 November 2019, played in single venues from 26–31 March 2020.  The winner of each path will win a ticket to UEFA EURO 2020.

• If a UEFA Nations League group winner has already qualified via the European Qualifiers, then their spot will go to the next best-ranked team in their league. If a league does not have four teams to compete, the remaining slots are allocated to teams from another league, according to the overall UEFA Nations League rankings.

So, if England win Quals - no trophy for you :D

11 minutes ago, -Jaro- said:

That's what I concluded after reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Nations_League

" There will be play-offs for each of Leagues A, B, C and D in March 2020. Each group winner earns a spot in the semi-finals. If the group winner is already one of the twenty qualified teams, rankings will be used to give the play-off spot to another team of that league. If fewer than four teams in the entire league remain unqualified, play-off spots for that league are given to teams of the next lower league. This determines the four remaining qualifying spots for the European Championship (out of 24 total )"

and this:

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/news/newsid=2502936.html

Play-offs (4 teams qualify)
The last four EURO places will be won through the European Qualifiers play-offs, which will be contested by the 16 UEFA Nations League group winners (i.e. the four group winners in each of the four divisions).

HOW THE UEFA NATIONS LEAGUE WILL WORK

• Each league will have a path of its own and each path will feature two single-leg semi-finals and one single-leg final, drawn on 22 November 2019, played in single venues from 26–31 March 2020.  The winner of each path will win a ticket to UEFA EURO 2020.

• If a UEFA Nations League group winner has already qualified via the European Qualifiers, then their spot will go to the next best-ranked team in their league. If a league does not have four teams to compete, the remaining slots are allocated to teams from another league, according to the overall UEFA Nations League rankings.

So, if England win Quals - no trophy for you :D

I think it’s more likely England win NL final after losing Qualifiers of both varities. If that’s at all possible, England can do it. I can imagine players wanting to win the first Nations League cup. Then they go off on holiday to watch Euros from a yatch. 

Edited by wasted

8 minutes ago, wasted said:

I think it’s more likely England win NL final after losing Qualifiers of both varities. If that’s at all possible, England can do it. 

Oh, it seems it's possible, it seems that Final 4 of NL is not the samo torunament as play-off qual.

so NL winner can lose both - Euro quals and play-off based on NL ranking :D

So, England can win NL, and not to go to Euro final tournament (whose semis and final is in England as I remember)

6 minutes ago, -Jaro- said:

Oh, it seems it's possible, it seems that Final 4 of NL is not the samo torunament as play-off qual.

so NL winner can lose both - Euro quals and play-off based on NL ranking :D

So, England can win NL, and not to go to Euro final tournament (whose semis and final is in England as I remember)

The whole thing looks rigged for England to win Euros. Or is it perfect for Germany to win Euros in the new Wembley on penalties. 

The other aspect of it is the romance of playing finals in 12 different countries. The whole thing  has such huge potential to be a disaster. 

1 minute ago, wasted said:

The whole thing looks rigged for England to win Euros. Or is it perfect for Germany to win Euros in the new Wembley on penalties. 

The other aspect of it is the romance of playing finals in 12 different countries. The whole thing  has such huge potential to be a disaster. 

If noone else show up - England will find a way to lose it on penalties :D

If they can't win this, they won't anything with this generation. Results are deceptive, this is far from Netherlands 88 or Portugal 04. The Swiz aren't as strong as that Belgium game suggests either.

I don't reckon they're doing much at the Euro's in 2020, but they've strongest squad out of the 4 teams. 

...Of course I'd prefer they ended up losing both the Semi and 3rd place play off.

6 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

If they can't win this, they won't anything with this generation. Results are deceptive, this is far from Netherlands 88 or Portugal 04. The Swiz aren't as strong as that Belgium game suggests either.

I don't reckon they're doing much at the Euro's in 2020, but they've strongest squad out of the 4 teams. 

...Of course I'd prefer they ended up losing both the Semi and 3rd place play off.

Vive l' Bosnia and (ehh?) Herzegovina. 4-1 aggregate.

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Vive l' Bosnia and (ehh?) Herzegovina. 4-1 aggregate.

I have as much love for Northern Ireland team as I do the DUP/Sinn Fein or Rangers/Celtic. Most of those in my neighborhood that wear those shirts come from paramilitary families.

In otherwords I couldn't give a fuck.

1 minute ago, AtariLegend said:

I have as much love for Northern Ireland team as I do the DUP/Sinn Fein or Rangers/Celtic. Most of those in my neighborhood that wear those shirts come from paramilitary families.

In otherwords I couldn't give a fuck.

You support the other Ireland then who also lie bottom of their, admittedly difficult (Wales and Danes), group?

Both are getting relegated together so there is a good chance that this Nations League, pitting teams against teams of respective abilities, will give us a, ''Battle of the Irelands''. Sit back with your popcorn and watch the bombs and sectarian hate grow haha.  

Pots are in. 

Looking at the Top 3 Pots, the qualification could be competitive. 

So that makes the NL Playoffs look more useful. 

England could have Germany, Wales, Czech, Russia, Turkey, Scotland type teams. Not really easy games. Anything could happen away to Russia or Turkey. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/7790036/england-could-face-germany-in-euro-2020-qualifying-after-portugal-draw/

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

You support the other Ireland then who also lie bottom of their, admittedly difficult (Wales and Danes), group?

Both are getting relegated together so there is a good chance that this Nations League, pitting teams against teams of respective abilities, will give us a, ''Battle of the Irelands''. Sit back with your popcorn and watch the bombs and sectarian hate grow haha.  

After Brexit won’t they be united?

25 minutes ago, wasted said:

Pots are in. 

Looking at the Top 3 Pots, the qualification could be competitive. 

So that makes the NL Playoffs look more useful. 

England could have Germany, Wales, Czech, Russia, Turkey, Scotland type teams. Not really easy games. Anything could happen away to Russia or Turkey. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/7790036/england-could-face-germany-in-euro-2020-qualifying-after-portugal-draw/

After Brexit won’t they be united?

No.

11 minutes ago, wasted said:

They will just be outside the UK but still in the UK. 

I don't understand what you mean? 

Northern Ireland is and will remain a devolved legislature within the monarchical United Kingdom, capital Belfast, whilst, Republic of Ireland is and will remain a Parliamentary Republic, capital Dublin. 

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I don't understand what you mean? 

Northern Ireland is and will remain a devolved legislature within the monarchical United Kingdom, capital Belfast, whilst, Republic of Ireland is and will remain a Parliamentary Republic, capital Dublin. 

I thought part of the EU deal would be to take NI. And that’s what the last part of the deal was. 

Edited by wasted

1 minute ago, wasted said:

I thought part of the EU would be to take NI. And that’s what the last part of the deal was. 

The discussion involves a common EU customs area. That doesn't entail political unification, although that is what Unionist opponents of what (for some silly reason) is called a ''Irish backstop'' fear.

16 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The discussion involves a common EU customs area. That doesn't entail political unification, although that is what Unionist opponents of what (for some silly reason) is called a ''Irish backstop'' fear.

That’s where I must have heard it. So on the border there’s this EU customs area where taxes are taken and everything slows down, to the point trade wise it might as well be another country. So they get more isolated and eventually easier to be part of EU or Ireland. 

9 hours ago, wasted said:

That’s where I must have heard it. So on the border there’s this EU customs area where taxes are taken and everything slows down, to the point trade wise it might as well be another country. So they get more isolated and eventually easier to be part of EU or Ireland. 

But no, because of a 17th-Century battle and crimplene trousers, bowler hats, orange sashes, bonfires, staunchness and NO SURRENDER.