THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

10 hours ago, Graeme said:

I can see that working well. No-one will notice.

To be honest, you'd get away with saying nothing at all, it's not like you get interrogated on arriving at the stadium... Wear neutral colours, clap when the people around you are clapping. I imagine sitting in the Celtic end would be a very uncomfortable experience for me, but a neutral could probably be in either end and be fine.

I have not been to The Grange.

Scotland's home ground basically. Lovely cricket ground apparently (I have a thing for cricket grounds I should point out). I imagine the ball swings around corners in Scotland haha.

Arsenal managed to get past Red Star Belgrade...just.  Everyones banging on about Girouds goal, no ones mentioning what a moribund performance there was the previous 86 fuckin' minutes.  I don't mind going back to boring boring Arsenal if we're gonna win or hold off good teams on 1-0 scorelines but i do fuckin' mind being boring boring Arsenal on a Thursday evening in Belgrade at 0-0. 

Edited by Len Cnut

Once again my football team as become an embarrassment sacking another manager. Its hardly the managers fault when a fkin idiot striker misses a penalty in injury time, then concede 30seconds later. Nevermind Rangers will be champions again soon. WATP.

30 minutes ago, BrayWyatt said:

Once again my football team as become an embarrassment sacking another manager. Its hardly the managers fault when a fkin idiot striker misses a penalty in injury time, then concede 30seconds later. Nevermind Rangers will be champions again soon. WATP.

Aye, it's a difficult one. People would argue that he signed aforementioned idiot striker (who I actually think is a good, hard-working player but the farcical 5 minute build-up to the penalty meant there was more chance he was going to miss it than score). Rangers fans are notoriously short of patience, so the Motherwell cup defeat and a last-minute draw with the worst team in the league were always going to be a provocation to hit the ejector seat... Add in the fact that the entirety of the Scottish sports media seemed to want to set the man up to fail every week, probing him for soundbites, knowing that English wasn't his first language.

I quite like a fair few of his signings, I just think we haven't seen the best of them yet. His tendency to start Windass was frustrating, and playing Jack and Dorrans together doesn't seem to work as well as it did when Jack was out (again with a disciplinary issue) and Dorrans played further forward with Holt. I think we saw the creative, attacking midfielder that Dorrans can be in the match against St. Johnstone. 

Despite him coming in for a lot of criticism, I personally like the look of Carlos Peña's goal tally for time played. Now that Caixinha's gone, it's going to be interesting to see if his successor can get the best out of him. I think it'd be a shame not to try.

Edited by Graeme

17 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Aye, it's a difficult one. People would argue that he signed aforementioned idiot striker (who I actually think is a good, hard-working player but the farcical 5 minute build-up to the penalty meant there was more chance he was going to miss it than score). Rangers fans are notoriously short of patience, so the Motherwell cup defeat and a last-minute draw with the worst team in the league were always going to be a provocation to hit the ejector seat... Add in the fact that the entirety of the Scottish sports media seemed to want to set the man up to fail every week, probing him for soundbites, knowing that English wasn't his first language.

I quite like a fair few of his signings, I just think we haven't seen the best of them yet. His tendency to start Windass was frustrating, and playing Jack and Dorrans together doesn't seem to work as well as it did when Jack was out (again with a disciplinary issue) and Dorrans played further forward with Holt. I think we saw the creative, attacking midfielder that Dorrans can be in the match against St. Johnstone. 

Despite him coming in for a lot of criticism, I personally like the look of Carlos Peña's goal tally for time played. Now that Caixinha's gone, it's going to be interesting to see if his successor can get the best out of him. I think it'd be a shame not to try.

I wanted pedro to stay, some of his signings are questionable but boys like morelos look tidy players. 

35 minutes ago, BrayWyatt said:

I wanted pedro to stay, some of his signings are questionable but boys like morelos look tidy players. 

I liked his recruitment too. I don't know who people think is going to come in and wave a magic wand and make us as good as Celtic by the time we play them in December, but that's the hoop (pardon the pun) that's been lined up for Pedro's successor to jump through. Poisoned chalice is one of those horrible football cliches, but it does effectively sum up the position of Rangers manager at the moment.

England beat Spain in an exciting thriller to win the World Cup

Under-17s that is.

skynews-england-under-17s-world-cup_4140

There is a lot of age group talent, a lot to be optimistic there, based on the performances of our age group sides. We just have to wait for the current duds to bugger-off and start advancing these development players. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

If Ireland do not do something tonight looks like there will be a distinct absence of Celts! The Northern bunch, Atari's crue, were shafted by a horrendous penalty decision.  

I do not know what is worse really, comfortably qualifying only to play utterly abysmally in the actual tournament and be knocked out in the groups (à la England), or simply to not qualify in the first place and save yourself the hassle. 

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

If Ireland do not do something tonight looks like there will be a distinct absence of Celts! The Northern bunch, Atari's crue, were shafted by a horrendous penalty decision.  

I do not know what is worse really, comfortably qualifying only to play utterly abysmally in the actual tournament and be knocked out in the groups (à la England), or simply to not qualify in the first place and save yourself the hassle. 

On the plus side the opposite are looking pretty shite this year so if we show up then maybe we could put some sort of a run together eh?  I’m doing it again, aren’t I? :lol:

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Could be worse, you could be England, least you've won shit in the last half a century.

That's true and it's something I could never forget.

But this is just awful. Not even making the damn tournament! And on a personal level I always love that build-up, that last month or so before the tournament. I always get the classic matches out to get in the World Cup mood. It's going to be so empty now.

Ah well, Juve will just have to win the Champions League* to give Buffon the send-off he deserves.

*It's 99% not going to happen.

5 minutes ago, Juventino said:

That's true and it's something I could never forget.

But this is just awful. Not even making the damn tournament! And on a personal level I always love that build-up, that last month or so before the tournament. I always get the classic matches out to get in the World Cup mood. It's going to be so empty now.

Ah well, Juve will just have to win the Champions League* to give Buffon the send-off he deserves.

*It's 99% not going to happen.

Again, could be worse, they got a better chance than Arsenal :lol: