THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

On 16/11/2017 at 10:17 AM, Len Cnut said:

And these people are a minority in this country but they are the most well represented, the acceptable voice of England.  This isn’t to necessarily say that I am 100% behind whatever the opposite is, I just think the disparity of representation will lead us nowhere, you can’t pretend something doesn’t exist just cuz you dont like it and thats whats been going on in this country for a while now.

Do you think there is a "multi-cultural project" though? That makes it sound like some sort of bureaucrat with a clipboard has orchestrated the whole thing, rather than a messy process of people coming into a new environment, and in various ways bringing parts of where they've been into cultural circulation in the new location (and being changed by the culture that they find). That's a feature of the evolution of modern society, to varying degrees in lots of places, but certainly in the British Isles.

I don't really think it's the case that this process of cultural interchange has only been accepted by a small, University-educated, middle class metropolitan elite, not in Scotland anyway (but the tendency for English people to conflate "Britain" and "England" means that during your discourse we've been lumped in during you boys' discussion). I realise I probably tick a few of the boxes of that caricature that Dies created, in that I'm University-educated, centre-left, pretty politically correct, have lived abroad and am pretty anti-British (though, perhaps not in the sense that he meant).

But I'm a member of a working Clydeside family and none of them are xenophobes, not even going back to my Grandparents' generation. I was raised on messages that racism was unacceptable from all my family. There're stories of whole tenements worth of families blockading the entrances when Police came to arrest first-generation Italian immigrants for being "enemy aliens" during the Second World War, because these people were valued members of the community. Irish, Italian, Chinese, Indian, Bengali and Pakistani migration has been an integral part of life here for more than half a century... It's certainly not always been a smooth ride and I'm not saying that there are no racists, xenophobes or bigots here, but there's statistical evidence to suggest that most people in Scotland believe immigration has been a positive contribution to the development of our society.

I guess we also voted pretty decisively to remain in the EU (62% Remain) and UKIP perform abysmally here, which suggests that England's malcontent with the EU/Immigration/"multi-cultural project" is a cultural thing rather than a "class" thing (though obviously a complex and nuanced phenomenon with huge discrepancies between London and other parts of the country).

Edited by Graeme
  • Like 1

Since when did dissatisfaction with multiculturalism equate xenophobia? In fact I do not completely equate multiculturalism with race and migration to be honest - to put it facetiously, latte imports needn't require a migrant. Maybe multiculturalism isn't even the correct term? It is a sort of metro-elite upper middle-class culture. The majority of its supporters are in fact whites! As I said, migrants drift into some of the worst housing and jobs in Britain, i.e. get the same rubbish deal as the white working class. So no, we were clearly not discussing xenophobia.

And its adherents are usually quite right-wing in that they support the EU and are obsessed with money. Perhaps it is better to say they reside in the centre somewhere? There is something fickle about their love of multiculturalism in that they sip their lattes and eat their sushi but they wouldn't live on a council estate with a bunch of 'dark people' next door, would they? 

Scotland is perhaps the most zealously nationalistic country on the planet. You sit their in kilts with Scotch eggs eating Haggis with Scotch reciting Burns, screaming for whoever plays against England. It is thoroughly childish. I'd never want to see that repeated in England (or any country). Never. We've seen too much of that brand of nationalism in 1930s Germany et al. But to rebel at what I described above as 'xenophobia' is hogwash?

Aye, I think you're talking about a different social phenomenon to me when referring to this "multi-cultural project" of yours.

Also, sociological studies have noted that the predominant discourse in Scottish "nationalism" is generally inclusive and pro-immigration (fairly unique among modern European "nationalist" movements, hence the common application of the term "civic nationalism"), and supported by most ethnic minorities in Scotland. To equate it to Nazi Germany is beneath your intellect, but I suspect you're on the wind up.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Aye, I think you're talking about a different social phenomenon to me when referring to this "multi-cultural project" of yours.

Also, sociological studies have noted that the predominant discourse in Scottish "nationalism" is generally inclusive and pro-immigration (fairly unique among modern European "nationalist" movements, hence the common application of the term "civic nationalism"), and supported by most ethnic minorities in Scotland. To equate it to Nazi Germany is beneath your intellect, but I suspect you're on the wind up.

Patriotism when it is racked up that loudly is fairly crass and distasteful. 

Do you think there is a "multi-cultural project" though? That makes it sound like some sort of bureaucrat with a clipboard has orchestrated the whole thing, rather than a messy process of people coming into a new environment, and in various ways bringing parts of where they've been into cultural circulation in the new location (and being changed by the culture that they find). That's a feature of the evolution of modern society, to varying degrees in lots of places, but certainly in the British Isles.

I'm not sure whether there's a project as such, I just meant like...there's a degree of misrepresentation of the reality of it all.

3 hours ago, Padme said:

World Cup 2018

It seems all the big ones have it easy or at least somewhat easy in the group draw. As usual, during the tournament, there will be some underdog shocking the world.

Looking forward to England struggling to beat the mighty Panama then dismissing whoever knocks them out in the 2nd stage as a small team.

Seen BBC Sport today already talking about England facing Brazil or Germany in the final... They never learn.

I'm sure Murdoch's hate rags will help cheer on the team on in the weeks prior by running stories about players caught up snorting cocaine in a gay tape. With no Rooney, it'll be hard to work in stories about people shagging Grannies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, AslatIE said:

What's your point ya Paki? :D

Place of birth Sami :lol:  How long have you lived in the North of England?  Exactly, thank you, move along.  How many United games have you been to in your life?  The only reason you support United is cuz you or someone in your family saw them win lots in the 90s and went ‘I’m a United supporter!’.  I’m an Arsenal supporter cuz i was there in the stands freezing to fuckin death down the Clock End on Wednesday as we played Huddersfield, I’m an Arsenal supporter because i grew up in the area, I know Highbury, I know the Emirates, I know Benwell Road, I know standing at Gillespie Rd 10 mins late rushing to the game, I’m an Arsenal supporter cuz my older brother before me was an Arsenal supporter and my Dad has been one since the late 60s, I know who Storey is, who McLintock is, who Liam Brady, Charlie Nicholas and Bob Wilson are.  I know who Herbert Chapman is and Terry Norris is and Bertie Mee and George Graham is.  I bet you’d have to google to find out who Joe Jordan is...and THATS my point :lol:

25 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Place of birth Sami :lol:  How long have you lived in the North of England?  Exactly, thank you, move along.  How many United games have you been to in your life?  The only reason you support United is cuz you or someone in your family saw them win lots in the 90s and went ‘I’m a United supporter!’.  I’m an Arsenal supporter cuz i was there in the stands freezing to fuckin death down the Clock End on Wednesday as we played Huddersfield, I’m an Arsenal supporter because i grew up in the area, I know Highbury, I know the Emirates, I know Benwell Road, I know standing at Gillespie Rd 10 mins late rushing to the game, I’m an Arsenal supporter cuz my older brother before me was an Arsenal supporter and my Dad has been one since the late 60s, I know who Storey is, who McLintock is, who Liam Brady, Charlie Nicholas and Bob Wilson are.  I know who Herbert Chapman is and Terry Norris is and Bertie Mee and George Graham is.  I bet you’d have to google to find out who Joe Jordan is...and THATS my point :lol:

Loser :lol:

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Shouldn't you really be a Luton Town fan?

Geographically speaking yes but I moved out of Luton when I was 5 and prior to that the old man always supported Arsenal and moved us closer to it.  I can remember being so young to where like...I didnt understand football as a game but I knew there was a team called Arsenal and they meant something, as in in that household I had to follow them.  The earliest people I can remember from my house in popular culture were Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, Tony Adams, Alan Smith, David Rocastle, Arnold Schwarzenegger :lol: