THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

On 12/09/2018 at 7:54 PM, AtariLegend said:

...And you still have another game against Spain. On the bright side you have 2 other much easier games in the group left.

For anyone suggesting these were friendlies, well Spain has probably already won the group unless they lose all their remaining games by big scorelines. Meaning they're basically already in the playoffs at least regardless of what happens during Euro 2020 qualifying after just two games.

Only one team from League A will go straight to the play offs. Spain will play better teams than Eng or Croats in League A semi and final. It does offer another route into Qualifying playoffs, but for most teams it’s not the easiest way to qualify. So after a few games in Nations league it’s just friendlies. 

Because they don’t qualify directly for Euros they still have to play Qualifiers like they lost the Play offs. So it only helps if they don’t qualify. If they don’t they go into play offs shitting they panties. Do they really want to leave it to those play off games?

Edited by wasted

3 hours ago, wasted said:

Only one team from League A will go straight to the play offs. Spain will play better teams than Eng or Croats in League A semi and final. It does offer another route into Qualifying playoffs, but for most teams it’s not the easiest way to qualify. So after a few games in Nations league it’s just friendlies. 

Because they don’t qualify directly for Euros they still have to play Qualifiers like they lost the Play offs. So it only helps if they don’t qualify. If they don’t they go into play offs shitting they panties. Do they really want to leave it to those play off games?

The play offs they will be against the highest ranked teams that didn't qualify normally. Assuming France/Germany ect qualify the normal way as per usual the playoffs are likely against 2nd or 3rd tier European teams. Sure you could end up playing having to play Netherlands, but it's more likely to be against an Iceland at worst if not a Northern Ireland or a Slovakia.

It's a pretty big backup plan if everything goes wrong.

11 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

The play offs they will be against the highest ranked teams that didn't qualify normally. Assuming France/Germany ect qualify the normal way as per usual the playoffs are likely against 2nd or 3rd tier European teams. Sure you could end up playing having to play Netherlands, but it's more likely to be against an Iceland at worst if not a Northern Ireland or a Slovakia.

Yeah it’s not bad. It’s just you have to win League A which is a semi and final. Could lose on penos. Sort of like champions league. 

For a team like England they need to work out the team, how to play. To get worked up by things so decided by luck is a folly. They need to find another striker and work out how to not concede. They need 2 defense mids in there. 

How many go through from each Qualifying group? Top 1 or 2? 

I can see England not Qualifying if it’s only top team. 

Edited by wasted

11 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Yeah it’s not bad. It’s just you have to win League A which is a semi and final. Could lose on penos. 

The whole point was that are too many games for top players. So now there are more. 

Gets to the point it’s just another game. 

I don't think there are more games. These replace (some of) the friendlies and also the qualifying campaign for the next WC/Euro which would have started at this most recent international break. Now, the traditional qualifying campaign starts next year after this Nations League is finished and runs over fewer matchdays.

But I'm glad the league action is back.

16 minutes ago, Ryan95 said:

Yeah proper lovely and classy fans. 

I’d say they are, yeah.  You can pick and choose instances of bad behaviour from any team but i dont think any of the top 6 teams have anything like the sense of comaraderie, community and unity that The Kop has.  In an era of coporate commerciality The Kop remains relatively unaffected, its endearing.

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I’d say they are, yeah.  You can pick and choose instances of bad behaviour from any team but i dont think any of the top 6 teams have anything like the sense of comaraderie, community and unity that The Kop has.  In an era of coporate commerciality The Kop remains relatively unaffected, its endearing.

I’m moving to Liverpool next year. Nothing to do with football. Just thought I’d mention it.