THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

5 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Fucking Scousers! If they win the league I'm gonna have to get a new job. :lol:  

You northerners are a fucking divided lot, I’ll give you that.  You’ll be gobbing distance from each other and act as if you are sworn enemies, at least our divisions down here are marked by football teams, what could you, a man from Redcar, have against Scousers, you ain’t that further up the social ladder y’know!  I like em personally, probably cuz all the northerners seem to hate em, I’ve always liked that, they’re like The Sex Pistols of the north.  Thats why I like the jocks and the paddies too, cuz everyone thinks they are uncouth alcoholic arseholes :lol: 

16 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

You northerners are a fucking divided lot, I’ll give you that.  You’ll be gobbing distance from each other and act as if you are sworn enemies, at least our divisions down here are marked by football teams, what could you, a man from Redcar, have against Scousers, you ain’t that further up the social ladder y’know!  I like em personally, probably cuz all the northerners seem to hate em, I’ve always liked that, they’re like The Sex Pistols of the north.  Thats why I like the jocks and the paddies too, cuz everyone thinks they are uncouth alcoholic arseholes :lol: 

Basically this. :lol: 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I wouldn't say that is true of the north east, although you may hear the old kleptomaniac jokes. I think Liverpool are generally more well-regarded than Manchester United here. 

Here it is, Geordies v Mackems.

3 minutes ago, donny said:

no mention of Leicester City and their historic scoreline/win ? tut tut. 

I have to confess that I don't really support Newcastle United. Preferred northern non-league stuff. But I did see the Toon were eviscerated. I have to keep informed about Newcastle because I know many who do follow them and need to know how dour the conversations are going to be - same with Sunderland also, especially when I am at the cricket where there are a lot of sour-faced old Mackems.

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have to confess that I don't really support Newcastle United. Preferred northern non-league stuff. But I did see the Toon were eviscerated. I have to keep informed about Newcastle because I know many who do follow them and need to know how dour the conversations are going to be - same with Sunderland also, especially when I am at the cricket where there are a lot of sour-faced old Mackems.

So to while away the hours people talk football at cricket matches? :lol:

Just now, SoulMonster said:

So to while away the hours people talk football at cricket matches? :lol:

I hate to say it but there is a fair amount of that. That tells you how ubiquitous football is in the north east? It is a ''football area''. Yorkshire is more a ''cricket area''.  

You have to remember though that a county cricket match lasts four days, 11am-6.30pm (add one extra day for a test, i.e. international match). There are not many topics that haven't been exhausted. 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

You have to remember though that a county cricket match lasts four days, 11am-6.30pm (add one extra day for a test, i.e. international match). There are not many topics that haven't been exhausted. 

What? I was just joking with the "while the hours away". Fuck me. Days!?

Now I understand why there seems to be no action happening just men pottering about, the players have to pace themselves for the coming days.

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

What? I was just joking with the "while the hours away". Fuck me. Days!?

Now I understand why there seems to be no action happening just men pottering about, the players have to pace themselves for the coming days.

The old formats lasts four/five days, 11-6.30pm. Lunch is at 1-1.40pm. Tea is at 3.40pm to 4pm. And after all of that, the match can end in a draw!! Played in ''the whites''. Quintessentially English really.

Of course you have one-dayers, lasting one day (same times as above) and T20 (lasting c.3 hours) and other nonsensical formats such as this 100 abomination and T10. These are played in the ''pyjamas'', brightly coloured kits. 

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The old formats lasts four/five days, 11-6.30pm. Lunch is at 1-1.40pm. Tea is at 3.40pm to 4pm. And after all of that, the match can end in a draw!! Played in ''the whites''. Quintessentially English really.

Of course you have one-dayers, lasting one day (same times as above) and T20 (lasting c.3 hours) and other nonsensical formats such as this 100 abomination and T10. These are played in the ''pyjamas'', brightly coloured kits. 

Just beautiful but how it can have any appeal as a sport is beyond me. 

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Just beautiful but how it can have any appeal as a sport is beyond me. 

A religion in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, i.e. one of the most densely populated areas of the globe. Len will tell you this, you'll see families from 90 year old great grandmothers to toddlers crowded around televisions and radios. A near-religion in Australia also. 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

A religion in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, i.e. one of the most densely populated areas of the globe. Len will tell you this, you'll see families from 90 year old great grandmothers to toddlers crowded around televisions and radios. A near-religion in Australia also. 

Exactly, more a religion than a sport. A cultural event. Talking football while watching some archaic ritual on a field in front of you.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Exactly, more a religion than a sport. A cultural event. Talking football while watching some archaic ritual on a field in front of you.

Your Neville brothers are fans, and were actually budding cricketers.

article-2385313-1B2B2289000005DC-387_306

cricket_xi.jpg?itok=F2zPwzRz

Edited by DieselDaisy

5 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Sorry @Len Cnut

:bitchfight:

I missed the game actually, was at the cinema, forgot there was a game, didn't think we were gonna win anyway but that was a fuckin' cracker of a game, just caught the highlights off the arsenal site.  How the fuck do you go two goals up twice and still fuckin' lose?  Having dropped a two goal lead previously in the league?  Thats fuckin' ridiculous.  Then again, you can't legislate for shit like those two Origi goals and that belter from Chambo.  Willocks goal was a fuckin' corker too.  Even the penalties were pretty fuckin' sick.  I really like this kid Martinelli we've got, I really like him.

4 hours ago, moreblack said:

With him I always think how much wasted potential there was. He never achieved as much as he could have.

He won the league in most leagues he ever played, won the world cup too (whilst carrying a team), that bloke was something else.

7 hours ago, moreblack said:

With him I always think how much wasted potential there was. He never achieved as much as he could have.

One World Cup, runner-up in another World Cup, six top-flight European trophies for Barca and Naples (including one La Liga, two Serie-A and a UEFA Cup)? It is a fairly impressive haul which would embarrass the majority of footballers past and present. Yes, decadence meant a fairly rapid decline after c.1990, but he was 30 in 1990 so might have had another two-three years at somewhere close to his best at most. 

Naples don't forget were a nothing club before he joined! Messi and Ronaldo joined massive clubs and possess great teammates.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

One World Cup, runner-up in another World Cup, six top-flight European trophies for Barca and Naples (including one La Liga, two Serie-A and a UEFA Cup)? It is a fairly impressive haul which would embarrass the majority of footballers past and present. Yes, decadence meant a fairly rapid decline after c.1990, but he was 30 in 1990 so might have had another two-three years at somewhere close to his best at most. 

Naples don't forget were a nothing club before he joined! Messi and Ronaldo joined massive clubs and possess great teammates.

Messi is particularly lucky in that regard, just look at his teammates in his time, Iniesta, Puyol, Ronaldinho, Thierry Henry, Xavi, Busquets, Neymar, Suarez, its like a whoose who of ballers.