THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

WATFORD, WATFORD, WATFORD!!!

I told you!

You fuckin' did as well, should've put a few quid on that.  I've only just seen the result, 3-0, it was a fuckin' kicking and all.  I thought perhaps they'd sent the babies out until I checked the squad list.  It appears The Invincibles record stays in tact.  

59 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

They'll probably lose every game from now on - it was fated that Liverpool, however improbable, were never meant to win the premiership again. 

What do you mean "again"?

Edited by Dazey

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Oh, you do hate scousers to get this pedantic haha. 

To be fair I know that too.   92 weren’t it, the PL started?  Might be wrong...and I know they ain’t won since then.  Probably cuz that years the first year I really remember football with any precise detail, before that its all very broad like Italia 90, hand of God, Maradonna, Arsenal 89, that kinda level.

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

To be fair I know that too.   92 weren’t it, the PL started?  Might be wrong...and I know they ain’t won since then.  Probably cuz that years the first year I really remember football with any precise detail, before that its all very broad like Italia 90, hand of God, Maradonna, Arsenal 89, that kinda level.

It wasn't for lack of knowledge on this seminal event in the middle class prohibition of sport in our country why I said ''premiership'', I assure you, more a carelessness due to me not caring enough. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, moreblack said:

So why was the premiership formed in the first place? Was it just a rebranding they had to do to distance themselves from all the riots and death from the 70s/80s?

It was all about money like everything in this life. Revenue derived from television rights. The division One clubs felt they should have the independence to sell themselves for tv rights and therefore earn astronomical amounts of cash, so they broke away from the FA and negotiated directly with Sky. The FA ultimately just had to go along with as a fait accompli.

My theory is that Gazza basically kick started the premier league and is responsible for how its now a multi billion pound monster.

Obviously football was popular before but it was firmly in its lane. Players had mullets and the normal course for a retired player would be owning a country pub when they retired. Even the stars of the day.

Italia 90 was the catalyst for it all and Gazza was absolutely iconic for England in it. Take him out of it and who else was there in that team that caught the imagination like him? David Platt is absolutely underrated and i reckon one of England greatest players but he's still David Platt.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

My theory is that Gazza basically kick started the premier league and is responsible for how its now a multi billion pound monster.

Obviously football was popular before but it was firmly in its lane. Players had mullets and the normal course for a retired player would be owning a country pub when they retired. Even the stars of the day.

Italia 90 was the catalyst for it all and Gazza was absolutely iconic for England in it. Take him out of it and who else was there in that team that caught the imagination like him? David Platt is absolutely underrated and i reckon one of England greatest players but he's still David Platt.

It would have happened anyway. Boxing got ''pay-per-viewed'' to buggery at some stage in the late '90s. Cricket got paywalled in 2006. The cat got let out of the bag that ''there is a lot of money in television rights'' - incidentally, I see Sky are casting their greedy eye on the Six Nations which would be disastrous for the sport as it was for cricket.

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It would have happened anyway. Boxing got ''pay-per-viewed'' to buggery at some stage in the late '90s. 

I thought it was earlier than that. The first PPV fight I can remember my dad kicking off about was Tyson v Bruno II which I went round my mate's house to watch at silly o'clock in the morning and paid a tenner for. I've just googled and realised that was actually the first UK PPV fight on Sky. 1996 it was and fucking shite it was too. 3rd fucking round knockout! :lol:   

6 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I thought it was earlier than that. The first PPV fight I can remember my dad kicking off about was Tyson v Bruno II which I went round my mate's house to watch at silly o'clock in the morning and paid a tenner for. I've just googled and realised that was actually the first UK PPV fight on Sky. 1996 it was and fucking shite it was too. 3rd fucking round knockout! :lol:   

I fuckin' LOVED that fight.  Thing is about a Tyson fight they all got shit towards the end but nothing (well, no sporting thing :lol:) beats that fuckin' feeling of a Tyson fighting, knowing that when that LETS GET READY TO RUUUUUUUMBLE rings out and that mean no socks wearing motherfucker makes his way to the ring someones about to get fuckin' pannelled.  I also loved that fight cuz, being as how Tyson was a childhood hero of mine, it was him finally regaining the title.  But yeah, Bruno got touched in the first round and after that just didn't want to know, it was all jab and grab, even the fuckin' knockout, if you watch it, he's just actually still trying to hug him as Tyson powered his way through with uppercuts :lol:

• Like 1

Thinking about what happened to boxing and cricket, I suppose administrations are happier to be fed a huge amount of money from a tiny demographic, than less money from an ubiquitous demographic. It is a model which will inherently shrink the sport. 

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Thinking about what happened to boxing and cricket, I suppose administrations are happier to be fed a huge amount of money from a tiny demographic, than less money from an ubiquitous demographic. It is a model which will inherently shrink the sport. 

I miss the boxing on ITV on a Saturday night and when you used to get the highlights of all the big US fights on a Sunday morning. I used to spend a lot of time at my Gran and Grandad's back in the day and have many a fond memory of watching Tyson pagger some cunt's head in while gran was cooking the Yorkshire puddings. :lol: 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

He was great in Robocop tho!

• Haha 1