THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Congrats, scousers. Well deserved. And may it never happen again. 

Hahaha, I can't really imagine following football in another country the way you seem to :lol:. Do you have a Norwegian team too? If you do, do you care about them as much as Manchester United?

13 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Hahaha, I can't really imagine following football in another country the way you seem to :lol:. Do you have a Norwegian team too? If you do, do you care about them as much as Manchester United?

It's quite funny but there are actually many Norwegians that follow the Norwegian league and seem quite taken with Norwegian teams. I don't.

20 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It's quite funny but there are actually many Norwegians that follow the Norwegian league and seem quite taken with Norwegian teams. I don't.

I mean, that doesn't seem strange to me, that seems like the normal thing :P .

3 hours ago, Graeme said:

I mean, that doesn't seem strange to me, that seems like the normal thing :P .

I suppose its sort of like me following American boxing.  Supporting and being a fan of their fighters.  Along with Mexicans and Phillipinos.  Its odd y’know, I mean American fight cards begin at 1am and finish anywhere between 4 and 5am, I imagine Norwegians at least get to see English football at some godly hour.  Footballs a lot more territorial than boxing so I do get your point but it is at least something of a parrallel.

Big football teams are not only regional; teams like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Manchester United have fans all over the world, they are global. They are that great. And a team like Manchester United have fans from all over the UK, too, just think of the Northern Ireland connection. It would be strange if I was a Norwegian and followed Luton, though. In addition, I think Norway's only TV channel back in the 60s or 70s started broadcasting English top football even before they started airing Norwegian club football (they got a deal with the BBC) - so Norwegians were primed to become interested in English football from early on. It's been going on for so long now that kids inherit favorite teams from their parents and go over to watch games every year. It might conflict with the idea that football is only for local patriots, which is probable the case in the lower leagues (although I have had Norwegian friends who have followed really obscure English teams and spent their vacations in the stands with just a few thousand other people, all locals - gods know how they got to become fans of those teams). When I was a kid, all the football teams in the pre-school league were I played were named after popular English teams at the time, and my team happened to be names after Manchester United. I suppose the coach chose the name. Anyway, you can't not be a fan when you have played at the team itself. So I became a fan back in the 80s and watched the games on the TV. Then I moved around a bit so I didn't really get the chance to bond with a local, Norwegian club.

But they local clubs too. Not only global. And I am kind of envious of local fans and the added value of being born and bred in Manchester. They can have season tickets, hang at the pubs, have this sociocultural connection that I can't. But it is not like I can do anything about that. I could say fuck it and start going to Rosenborg matches, but you don't choose your team. I am a Manchester United fan, an expat by birth. 

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I've heard of Rosenborg.  And Tromso.  Or is it Tremso?  Thats my two Norwegian teams that I know of.

Tromsø. 

Molde is the best team at the moment. Solskjær's previous club. Rosenborg was a decent team in the 90s, made it to Champions' League.

10 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

But they local clubs too. Not only global. And I am kind of envious of local fans and the added value of being born and bred in Manchester. They can have season tickets, hang at the pubs, have this sociocultural connection that I can't. But it is not like I can do anything about that. I could say fuck it and start going to Rosenborg matches, but you don't choose your team. I am a Manchester United fan, an expat by birth. 

I wouldn’t envy growing up in Manchester mate :lol: 

35 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Seems like a lovely place to me. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with having grown up where I did, it's just that I miss a dimension to being a Manchester United fan. Like, the rivalry with Liverpool, you can't really get it unless you also know the historical trade competition between the two cities, how they have been fighting. There are all these cultural things, the local things, that fans from abroad can't fully understand and get unless they have grown up there and been immersed in that history and culture. So there's a dimension lost. But football aside, I don't wish I grew up a Mancunian. Although it is a lovely city. 

1 hour ago, Powderfinger said:

Man it feels good waking up a Liverpool supporter this morning :lol:

You’d struggle to wake most of ‘em up unless it’s giro day. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Fuck you! Manchester’s great! :lol: 

Edited by Dazey
  • Haha 1

Sat listening to Superscoreboard, catching up on all the shenanigans over the past few days.

Celtic's keeper woe's look a certainty to continue with Fraser Forster looking likely to fight it out with the other keepers at Southampton for the number one jersey. That absolutely breaks me. Joe Hart's name has been thrown around and he's in the exact same position as what Forster was prior to joining us. It's a possibility that the club could rejuvenate Hart's dwindling career, but even in his pomp, that man was not on the same level as Forster and I was always baffled at how he kept him from taking the #1 jersey for England. Let's see what happens.