THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

2 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

It is unbelievable really that England have only won a competition once years ago. For how big football is and how much it dominates everything. Plus have never even been in another final. 

You'd have thought Wales would have done a bit better in the egg chasing variant of the competition? 

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

You'd have thought Wales would have done a bit better in the egg chasing variant of the competition? 

Not really. Couple of semi finals of World Cups, ranked top 4 in the world several times. Many, many Grand Slams and 5/6 Nations titles. About neck and neck with England on that front. Considering Wales population is only a third of Londons alone it's pretty decent.

Plus the rugby W/C has only been going since 1987. Considering Wales decade of complete and utter dominance in the 70's I reckon if it had started earlier 2 World Cups in that decade would have been a minimum. So basically we were robbed of glory by the IRB's failure to get it's act together and organize the game globally.

10 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

It is unbelievable really that England have only won a competition once years ago. For how big football is and how much it dominates everything. Plus have never even been in another final. 

Its not really, fact is football doesn’t evolve in this country, from the ground level up, the krauts, the brazillians, all the countries with a storied history in football, they change, they evolve, we were playing basically the same kinda football we played in the 60s in the 90s.

Take a country like Brazil, that amazing 80s generation who didn’t win nothing, were criticized for being defensively susceptible, addressed the issues, came back and smashed it, England just always played long ball take their legs out look at us we’re so hard type football, thats why were never win nothing.

2 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

Not really. Couple of semi finals of World Cups, ranked top 4 in the world several times. Many, many Grand Slams and 5/6 Nations titles. About neck and neck with England on that front. Considering Wales population is only a third of Londons alone it's pretty decent.

Plus the rugby W/C has only been going since 1987. Considering Wales decade of complete and utter dominance in the 70's I reckon if it had started earlier 2 World Cups in that decade would have been a minimum. So basically we were robbed of glory by the IRB's failure to get it's act together and organize the game globally.

Aye aye. And every Englishman can step in a time machine to the 00s, tinker with Gerrard and Lampard's positions (whilst handing Heskey his p45) and then steering them to World Cup glory.

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Its not really, fact is football doesn’t evolve in this country, from the ground level up, the krauts, the brazillians, all the countries with a storied history in football, they change, they evolve, we were playing basically the same kinda football we played in the 60s in the 90s.

Take a country like Brazil, that amazing 80s generation who didn’t win nothing, were criticized for being defensively susceptible, addressed the issues, came back and smashed it, England just always played long ball take their legs out look at us we’re so hard type football, thats why were never win nothing.

Socrates? Arguably the best Brazilian side ever - certainly better than the 1994 one - and they didn't win a crumb. There are a lot of ''great'' teams who didn't quite make it. The Hungarians of the '50s and Dutch of the 1970s deserve mentions.

46 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I think it's a lot to do with club football being the main passion aswell in England and it's not geared to serving the national team really. I think a lot of fans of the big teams would put their clubs over England if they had a choice. Liverpool fans even take pride in the fact that they don't give a fuck about England being successful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Socrates? Arguably the best Brazilian side ever - certainly better than the 1994 one - and they didn't win a crumb. There are a lot of ''great'' teams who didn't quite make it. The Hungarians of the '50s and Dutch of the 1970s deserve mentions.

My point is, great as they were (and they were great) they addressed whatever lackings they had as a national team and went on to win, we don't do that.  We have a different footballing culture here and the issues are from like...youth training levels up.

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

My point is, great as they were (and they were great) they addressed whatever lackings they had as a national team and went on to win, we don't do that.  We have a different footballing culture here and the issues are from like...youth training levels up.

I'm not sure we deserve to win another one by right. Spain didn't win a world cup until 2010ish. The Dutch have never won one yet. These Belgians don't look capable either and people hype them up. The Argies haven't won a crumb since 1986. 

The England sides of the '90s and '00s probably did about all they could do really, albeit with some clueless managers as mitigating factors. 

My boy Joe Willock just stacked his motor.  Shocking behaviour, shocking way to carry on, setting an awful example for the youth.  That would be the youth into Grime and Drill, offing each other in record numbers all across London.  (I touched 120 on my way up north the other week in my brothers Jag, fuck me that car can fly :D)

On 11/24/2020 at 11:11 AM, YouCouldBeMine_2029 said:

Me to...:lol:

The Pressure on the Boy after those Headlines at the time must have been Immense.

He was a fuckin' wanker then and he's a wanker now, overrated as fuck.  That entire generation in fact, Wilshere, Oxlade Chamberlain, Walcott, Wenger put so much faith in those cunts, they were given chances and respect and oppertunities that young footballers dream of and what did they do?  Shit fuck all is what. 

14 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

He was a fuckin' wanker then and he's a wanker now, overrated as fuck.  That entire generation in fact, Wilshere, Oxlade Chamberlain, Walcott, Wenger put so much faith in those cunts, they were given chances and respect and oppertunities that young footballers dream of and what did they do?  Shit fuck all is what. 

I have some vague memory of Walcott scoring a hat-trick for England. Must have been against Lichtenstein or someone similar.