THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

13 minutes ago, -Jaro- said:

Are you Redknapp?

I was fuckin' laughed at around here in years gone by as the eternally optimistic England supporter but y'know what, they broke my fuckin' spirit with that Iceland game. Its not even so much that they lost (actually yes it is) or that the scoreline was some sort of hammering type embarrassment, it's just the WAY they fuckin' play, so fuckin' dull, so spineless, so lacking in heart, so not caring about the fuckin' shirt (fuck me, do i sound like an Arsenal supporter :lol: ), it's just soul destroying, you invest so much in it...or i do...and then they go out and play like wankers.  When i was a kid it was like a dream to get to play for England, something you'd fuckin' flog your guts out for, something you'd just fuckin' do anything and everything to be a part of...and these lads get it and they play like fuckin' cunts.  It just grinds you down, see it time after time and that Iceland match was just the worst, I was so fuckin' narked off after that i can't tell ya, simple fuckin' schoolyard 8 yr olds fuckin' shit and they were just cocking it up, missing fuckin' simple passes, cocking up elementary drill shit, it's just soul destroying.  I'm fuckin' 34 years old and pretty much all my life its been like this.  Even in fuckin' injury time, when you'd expect they'd be fuckin' throwing the kitchen sink at it, going for it with all they had, they'd get on the counter, turn to go forward...and miss the first fuckin' pass...and not even try to fuckin' recover it...wankers, absolute fuckin' wankers.

So yeah, even me, the eternal optimist just fuckin' gave up.  And y'know I'm late in the fuckin' queue on this one, everyone I know from mates to random fuckin' strangers, most of em are of this opinion now, people go to see England just for the holiday and the piss up really, thats all it is.  It's not that, in my prior optimism, I was deluded into thinking they were fuckin' some sort of Brazil 1970 squad, all i want is for them to fuckin' extend themselves, play with some fuckin' heart and some fuckin' pride, get stuck in, do something, anything.  That Iceland game was the most disgraceful shameful moribund performance I've ever seen from a team of England shirts, it was fucking shocking.

But yeah, come the fuckin' finals I'll be in again, watching again and they'll make a fuckin' arse of it again and the eternal cycle shall continue on for as long as I live cuz they ain't fuckin' winning shit, not in my lifetime, we're gonna have to resign ourselves to long protracted wanks over the 66 final.  Knowing my fuckin' luck it'll be the next World Cup after I die when they win...or the one where I'm sitting in an old peoples home with dementia and the memory of a fuckin' goldfish with a warm shitbag against my thigh that they'll fuckin' win it.  Cunts.

Edited by Len Cnut

27 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I was fuckin' laughed at around here in years gone by as the eternally optimistic England supporter but y'know what, they broke my fuckin' spirit with that Iceland game. Its not even so much that they lost (actually yes it is) or that the scoreline was some sort of hammering type embarrassment, it's just the WAY they fuckin' play, so fuckin' dull, so spineless, so lacking in heart, so not caring about the fuckin' shirt (fuck me, do i sound like an Arsenal supporter :lol: ), it's just soul destroying, you invest so much in it...or i do...and then they go out and play like wankers.  When i was a kid it was like a dream to get to play for England, something you'd fuckin' flog your guts out for, something you'd just fuckin' do anything and everything to be a part of...and these lads get it and they play like fuckin' cunts.  It just grinds you down, see it time after time and that Iceland match was just the worst, I was so fuckin' narked off after that i can't tell ya, simple fuckin' schoolyard 8 yr olds fuckin' shit and they were just cocking it up, missing fuckin' simple passes, cocking up elementary drill shit, it's just soul destroying.  I'm fuckin' 34 years old and pretty much all my life its been like this.  Even in fuckin' injury time, when you'd expect they'd be fuckin' throwing the kitchen sink at it, going for it with all they had, they'd get on the counter, turn to go forward...and miss the first fuckin' pass...and not even try to fuckin' recover it...wankers, absolute fuckin' wankers.

So yeah, even me, the eternal optimist just fuckin' gave up.  And y'know I'm late in the fuckin' queue on this one, everyone I know from mates to random fuckin' strangers, most of em are of this opinion now, people go to see England just for the holiday and the piss up really, thats all it is.  It's not that, in my prior optimism, I was deluded into thinking they were fuckin' some sort of Brazil 1970 squad, all i want is for them to fuckin' extend themselves, play with some fuckin' heart and some fuckin' pride, get stuck in, do something, anything.  That Iceland game was the most disgraceful shameful moribund performance I've ever seen from a team of England shirts, it was fucking shocking.

But yeah, come the fuckin' finals I'll be in again, watching again and they'll make a fuckin' arse of it again and the eternal cycle shall continue on for as long as I live cuz they ain't fuckin' winning shit, not in my lifetime, we're gonna have to resign ourselves to long protracted wanks over the 66 final.  Knowing my fuckin' luck it'll be the next World Cup after I die when they win...or the one where I'm sitting in an old peoples home with dementia and the memory of a fuckin' goldfish with a warm shitbag against my thigh that they'll fuckin' win it.  Cunts.

Just be grateful you're not Scottish.

• Haha 1

I had my spirit broken much earlier than Iceland. I think the whole urine generation constantly flopping. 2006 and 2010 were abysmal.

9 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Indeed,

CUcKzi5XAAAoO1A.jpg

You already wear skirts and now you dress your footballers in pink!!

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I had my spirit broken much earlier than Iceland. I think the whole urine generation constantly flopping. 2006 and 2010 were abysmal.

Indeed,

CUcKzi5XAAAoO1A.jpg

You already wear skirts and now you dress your footballers in pink!!

I fought alongside the Scotch in the war...ladies from hell the Gerrys called them!

:lol:

46 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Is it really THAT worse? :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Graeme said:

We last qualified for a major tournament in 1998. 19 years ago. It's pretty abysmal.

Thats just fuckin' details man, thats like Liverpool envying Arsenal for making top 4 for the last decade or so and getting into the Champions League...but they don't do they cuz what have Arsenal done that enviable in that regard, fuck all.  I'd rather fuckin' support Scotland, you lot celebrate the littlest bits of success when you get em cuz its in such short supply, England is just sheer misery, banging on about 66 that even my old mans too young to remember.  Still, can't help where your Mum plops you out I suppose.

Edited by Len Cnut

The worst Newcastle thing is when I remember when they'd go on about how "this is a big club" during the 2000's (that just hadn't won anything since the FA Cup in the 1950's). I'll never forget them sacking Bobby Robson who took them from a team that was struggling at the bottom of the league to being a team that was either 5th or in the champions league.

A few years later they were relegated. 

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Thats just fuckin' details man, thats like Liverpool envying Arsenal for making top 4 for the last decade or so and getting into the Champions League...but they don't do they cuz what have Arsenal done that enviable in that regard, fuck all.  I'd rather fuckin' support Scotland, you lot celebrate the littlest bits of success when you get em cuz its in such short supply, England is just sheer misery, banging on about 66 that even my old mans too young to remember.  Still, can't help where your Mum plops you out I suppose.

I suppose, there's a bit of a sense of entitlement on behalf of both teams' fans in a different way.

Our recent record, as well as our national propensity for dourness, self-deprecation and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory informs much of our attitude about football... But Scotland used to punch well above our weight in international football, we were the first country (joint with Brazil) to qualify for 5 consecutive World Cup finals, even if we did never progress beyond the group stages. A lot of that support from the 80's and 90's is still around, so there's a memory of when Scotland used to be a tenacious side with a lot of fight and we also used to produce some world class talent... When was the last Scottish player grabbing international headlines? Wales have shown recently that one or two bits of quality in an otherwise well-organised setup can bring success way beyond what's expected... Iceland have shown that size of population is certainly not the impediment that Scotland make it out to be at times. All of this combined has us asking "Why?", but we've been asking that for nearly 20 years now and still don't have a definitive answer.

With England, remove the self-deprecation and ramp up the entitlement to 11. The excuses of population size and not having produced any top-drawer talent also don't stand up quite as well in your case.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I suppose, there's a bit of a sense of entitlement on behalf of both teams' fans in a different way.

Our recent record, as well as our national propensity for dourness, self-deprecation and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory informs much of our attitude about football... But Scotland used to punch well above our weight in international football, we were the first country (joint with Brazil) to qualify for 5 consecutive World Cup finals, even if we did never progress beyond the group stages. A lot of that support from the 80's and 90's is still around, so there's a memory of when Scotland used to be a tenacious side with a lot of fight and we also used to produce some world class talent... When was the last Scottish player grabbing international headlines? Wales have shown recently that one or two bits of quality in an otherwise well-organised setup can bring success way beyond what's expected... Iceland have shown that size of population is certainly not the impediment that Scotland make it out to be at times. All of this combined has us asking "Why?", but we've been asking that for nearly 20 years now and still don't have a definitive answer.

With England, remove the self-deprecation and ramp up the entitlement to 11. The excuses of population size and not having produced any top-drawer talent also don't stand up quite as well in your case.

I cannot believe you've written all that without mentioning ''Archie Gemmill's goal''.

47 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

The worst Newcastle thing is when I remember when they'd go on about how "this is a big club" during the 2000's (that just hadn't won anything since the FA Cup in the 1950's). I'll never forget them sacking Bobby Robson who took them from a team that was struggling at the bottom of the league to being a team that was either 5th or in the champions league.

A few years later they were relegated. 

Have you never witnessed the prestige and glory that is the Inter-City Fairs Cup of 1969. Who needs the FA Cup or the League Cup when you can have the Texaco Cup which The Toon won twice in the 1970s. Then there is the glory of the Anglo-Italian Cup of 1973.

Edited by DieselDaisy

43 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Anyone want to buy The Toon?

PS

Old Firm match on 30th December! It is as if they, the chaps who run Scottish football, want drunken sectarian violence!

Last year's was actually on Hogmanay, Celtic won at Rangers' home ground and it largely went off without incident. There traditionally were Ne'erday Day Old Firm matches every year up until 1994 when they were banned after Celtic fans threw missiles at their own board of directors as they were losing. Most of the time, the early kick-offs and heavy crowd control mean it's not a battle anywhere else other than the pitch.

11 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Last year's was actually on Hogmanay, Celtic won at Rangers' home ground and it largely went off without incident. There traditionally were Ne'erday Day Old Firm matches every year up until 1994 when they were banned after Celtic fans threw missiles at their own board of directors as they were losing. Most of the time, the early kick-offs and heavy crowd control mean it's not a battle anywhere else other than the pitch.

Some guy, English, was inquiring about tickets on the cricket forum I post at and they are not recommending turning up with an English accent. Although one person says all you have to do is say a few ''wees' and call everyone 'Jimmy' and praise the local's ginger hair (I think he is trying to get him in trouble). Apparently you have to be on the pist for such a game.

Incidentally, have you ever been to The Grange, Edinburgh? I heard it was a nice cricket ground.

42 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Some guy, English, was inquiring about tickets on the cricket forum I post at and they are not recommending turning up with an English accent. Although one person says all you have to do is say a few ''wees' and call everyone 'Jimmy' and praise the local's ginger hair (I think he is trying to get him in trouble). Apparently you have to be on the pist for such a game.

Incidentally, have you ever been to The Grange, Edinburgh? I heard it was a nice cricket ground.

I can see that working well. No-one will notice.

To be honest, you'd get away with saying nothing at all, it's not like you get interrogated on arriving at the stadium... Wear neutral colours, clap when the people around you are clapping. I imagine sitting in the Celtic end would be a very uncomfortable experience for me, but a neutral could probably be in either end and be fine.

I have not been to The Grange.