THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

2 minutes ago, EvanG said:

We have no business at the World Cup with this generation of players, it would have ended the same way as the European Cup in Poland/Ukraine a few years ago.

It sucks, but you can't have a golden generation every time.

While that is true, seems to me there are more teams that have no business there. Well, it is what it is, of course :)

Glad Panama managed to score anyway.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

An alternative could be to take the X best teams based on FIFA ranking. But again, people like the geographic diversity, and for FIFA it is important to have every continent represented, it helps foster interest in football across the world.

FIFA ranking is really really bad :D Please no

Edited by Nicklord

2 minutes ago, wasted said:

You can’t call it the World Cup then just have European and South American teams. That be like baseball and take years of inbreeding and sandwich eating not to notice. 

You can, it's the World Championship, right? So if a team isn't good enough and doesn't qualify, that's it. I don't know, I'm not really in favour of these quota per continent.

4 minutes ago, wasted said:

You can’t call it the World Cup then just have European and South American teams. That be like baseball and take years of inbreeding and sandwich eating not to notice. 

The tournament allows anyone with a competitive team. It is in each team hands to qualify for the competition or not :shrugs:

Some countries are better at the sport than others... it is what it is.... I don't see anything unfair about it.

4 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

FIFA ranking is really really bad :D Please no

I agree. It must be fixed. Anyway, my point is we can either go with having each continent represented more or less equally, which is what we have today, or just have the absolute best teams qualify based on FIFA or some other ranking which would lead to vastly overrepresentation from Europe.

4 minutes ago, killuridols said:

The tournament allows anyone with a competitive team. It is in each team hands to qualify for the competition or not :shrugs:

Some countries are better at the sport than others... it is what it is.... I don't see anything unfair about it.

It's not like that, though, FIFA decides how many teams from each of their "continental zones" shall be represented, partly due to assumed strength of teams in those zones, partly due to economic factors, partly due to wanting a broad geographic representation. So the end result is that there will always be some teams in the final tournament that aren't that good, and some good teams will not get there.

I don't really have any problems with it. The World Cup has always been like that, and occasionally some of these teams that got through because they happened to have little opposition in the qualifying rounds, end up being a colorful and exciting addition to the final tournament. It's kind of charming to have some Davids fighting the Goliaths, and it really brings the whole world together - Asia, South America, Africa, Europe. People in Senegal (FIFA ranking 32) and people in Japan (FIFA ranking 44) will soon watch their teams play against each other. Maybe neither of these teams should have been there, and Italy (FIFA 19) or The Netherlands (FIFA 17) should have taken their places, but in my opinion it would have made the World Cup less fun and exciting.

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

So the end result is that there will always be some teams in the final tournament that aren't that good, and some good teams will not get there.

How is Fifa's fault if some of the good teams do not get to a WC :question:

They are given the chance and unless everything's corrupted (which is a possibility) I assume most teams qualify by their own means.

To be honest, I dont like seeing Tunisia instead of Italy or Panama instead of Holland but it is what it is.... I dont know why those two didnt make it but if they were not ready for it then maybe it is better that way.

Roger Milla beating the Argies and Senegal beating France. Costa Rica doing well. The Koreans reaching the semis in 2002 (albeit with dodgy refereeing). That is what the world cup is all about.

PS

Best example. North Korea beating the Italians in 1966.

Edited by DieselDaisy

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't really have any problems with it. The World Cup has always been like that, and occasionally some of these teams that got through because they happened to have little opposition in the qualifying rounds, end up being a colorful and exciting addition to the final tournament. It's kind of charming to have some Davids fighting the Goliaths, and it really brings the whole world together - Asia, South America, Africa, Europe. People in Senegal (FIFA ranking 32) and people in Japan (FIFA ranking 44) will soon watch their teams play against each other. Maybe neither of these teams should have been there, and Italy (FIFA 19) or The Netherlands (FIFA 17) should have taken their places, but in my opinion it would have made the World Cup less fun and exciting.

Yeah, true. You have a point. It is nice for those small countries and it's not as if the teams that didn't qualify (like Italy and Holland this time) would stand any chance in the WC this time. So no harm done really.

43 minutes ago, Lio said:

You can, it's the World Championship, right? So if a team isn't good enough and doesn't qualify, that's it. I don't know, I'm not really in favour of these quota per continent.

Maybe mixing the groups across continents earlier. 1 from each continent in a group in qualification. 

But what would happen is it would be Europe teams and SA teams and the rest of the world wouldn’t develop. 

Like even though Tunisia lost to England a kid in Tunisia might watch his country in the WC and that sparks his ambition. 

It’s a tournament but also a showcase. It isn’t the best quality football, but it’s big celebration of football. 

It gives smaller nations to have heroes as well. Or just players in that country to play in a WC. The players in Italy and Netherkands are all ready rich and played in WC and champions league. 

Germany will win it anyway. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I think that’s what I said. If you can’t beat Sweden maybe you shouldn’t be allowed to go to the WC. That goes for everyone. 

41 minutes ago, killuridols said:

How is Fifa's fault if some of the good teams do not get to a WC :question:

Because FIFA makes the rules that define how many slots each football confederation shall receive for the finals, leading to some teams having an easier path to qualify than others simply because there are more slots available when compared to the average level of the teams they have to compete against. For instance, the African confederation received 5 slots this time, resulting in Egypt (rank 31), Morocco (rank 48), Nigeria (rank 41), Tunisia (rank 28), and Senegal (rank 32) qualifying, while UEFA (the European confederation) only got 13 slots despite having much better teams on average. If FIFA only wanted the very best teams in the world to qualify, they would have reduced the slots for Africa and increased the slots for Europe. But for FIFA it isn't only about getting the best teams together, they also look at economic factors and promoting football across the world (and probably other reasons as well). So you might say that it isn't entirely fair if you happen to belong to a confederation with very good teams but limited slots available, whereas a team like Korea Republic (rank 62) can qualify again and again because they happen to be in a confederation (Asia) that consistently gets many slots compared to the average skills of their teams (probably to promote football in the large Asian markets). In fact, there are no teams in Asia ranked 32 or better.

Edited by SoulMonster

11 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

By Germany, you mean Brasil, right?

Whoever, my point is you can get worked up about qualify and it be over in two games. So let Tunisnia do an England this time. 

I sort of remember when Japan and Senegal were completely rubbish. Where are Ivory Coast? 

Edited by wasted

16 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Because FIFA makes the rules that define how many slots each football confederation shall receive for the finals, leading to some teams having an easier path to qualify than others simply because there are more slots available when compared to the average level of the teams they have to compete against. For instance, the African confederation received 5 slots this time, resulting in Egypt (rank 31), Morocco (rank 48), Nigeria (rank 41), Tunisia (rank 28), and Senegal (rank 32) qualifying, while UEFA (the European confederation) only got 13 slots despite having much better teams on average. If FIFA only wanted the very best teams in the world to qualify, they would have reduced the slots for Africa and increased the slots for Europe. But for FIFA it isn't only about getting the best teams together, they also look at economic factors and promoting football across the world (and probably other reasons as well). So you might say that it isn't entirely fair if you happen to belong to a confederation with very good teams but limited slots available, whereas a team like Korea Republic (rank 62) can qualify again and again because they happen to be in a confederation (Asia) that consistently gets many slots compared to the average skills of their teams (probably to promote football in the large Asian markets). In fact, there are no teams in Asia ranked 32 or better.

Itsa marketing campaign like anything else. 

1 hour ago, wasted said:

But what would happen is it would be Europe teams and SA teams and the rest of the world wouldn’t develop. 

Like even though Tunisia lost to England a kid in Tunisia might watch his country in the WC and that sparks his ambition. 

It’s a tournament but also a showcase. It isn’t the best quality football, but it’s big celebration of football. 

I think that the kid in Tunisia will need more help from his own country than FiFA :shrugs:

I dont know how it is in the rest of the world but in Argentina, children start playing football at very early age. There are football schools and clubs where you can go try yourself. There are also small playfields in neighborhoods and local/regional tournaments for children.

The development of a sport it is in the hands of the governments and communities. If they dont help you when you are a child, you won't stand a chance.

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

So you might say that it isn't entirely fair if you happen to belong to a confederation with very good teams but limited slots available, whereas a team like Korea Republic (rank 62) can qualify again and again because they happen to be in a confederation (Asia) that consistently gets many slots compared to the average skills of their teams (probably to promote football in the large Asian markets). In fact, there are no teams in Asia ranked 32 or better.

Do you consider Europe is not well represented in the WC?

I can see why someone feels it is unfair for the hard working people and Asia gets spots for their mediocre teams but football is an unfair game as much as it is so simple.

If you want quality to prevail, that's understandable but then you have this "luck" factor that it is kind of big in football.... like u can be Germany and you can be Tunisia and in the last minute score that point that will put the crown in your head, no matter the quality of your game. 

We are assisting lots of matches where that luck factor is decisive sometimes and with this I mean, you can aim for depuration of garbage teams but there will always be a garbage team that will stand a chance. 

2 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Do you consider Europe is not well represented in the WC?

I can see why someone feels it is unfair for the hard working people and Asia gets spots for their mediocre teams but football is an unfair game as much as it is so simple.

If you want quality to prevail, that's understandable but then you have this "luck" factor that it is kind of big in football.... like u can be Germany and you can be Tunisia and in the last minute score that point that will put the crown in your head, no matter the quality of your game. 

We are assisting lots of matches where that luck factor is decisive sometimes and with this I mean, you can aim for depuration of garbage teams but there will always be a garbage team that will stand a chance. 

We are not talking about luck, we are talking about how FIFA makes it easier for some teams to get to the final tournament. Remember? You asked me about this.

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

We are not talking about luck, we are talking about how FIFA makes it easier for some teams to get to the final tournament. Remember? You asked me about this.

You want to change the FIFA system to get rid of garbage teams and make it all pure, when football is the most fucked up game. That's what I am saying :lol: