THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

12 minutes ago, moreblack said:

Best England has looked in ages. Decades.

Even 5-1 against Germany?

Anyone else think Rio bashing Sven was a little weird. Under Sven, England were making the quarter finals every tourney. The expectations were at least semi's or even England to win it. The team was only knocked out by a team of Brazilian all stars in 2002 and Portugal on penalties in 04/06.

After Sven they couldn't even qualify for the next Euros, showed their true colors when they turned on Capello (one of the most successful coaches of all time) and got thrashed in the last 16, lost at the 2nd hurdle in 2012, finished bottom of the group in 2014 and lost to Iceland in 2016. Sven wasn't that bad.

England have just beaten a rubbish side (Tunisia) and a pub team (Panama). Let's see them against a decent side first in the last 16, before making judgments.

Edited by AtariLegend

20 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Even 5-1 against Germany?

Anyone else think Rio bashing Sven was a little weird. Under Sven, England were making the quarter finals every tourney. The expectations were at least semi's or even England to win it. The team was only knocked out by a team of Brazilian all stars in 2002 and Portugal on penalties in 04/06.

After Sven they couldn't even qualify for the next Euros, showed their true colors when they turned on Capello (one of the most successful coaches of all time) and got thrashed in the last 16, lost at the 2nd hurdle in 2012, finished bottom of the group in 2014 and lost to Iceland in 2016.

Sven wasn't that bad.

I think what Lampard was saying is that they were in a rigid 442. Most of the players didn’t have the skill or mentality. Rio was ahead of his time as a ball playing defender. But teams in prem weren’t playing 3-4-3 or 352. Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney were all that powerful box to box mid. Spread the ball wide and pile into the box. 

Now theres 4 tic tac players at least. Then Kane the target. 

I think maybe they wish things were just more progressive in the Prem. Maybe in Italy or Spain Scholes would be more involved higher up the pitch. 

Actually thinking back they under used Crouch given they had Beckham and Gary Neville. 

The way Lingard and Ali are they get inbetween the lines and receive the ball and get fouled or cause problems, Gerrard and Lampard could never do that. They might play it up to the striker then try to burst through. 

Sterling is also a tricky player now. Seems less headless. He just gets balls and waits to get fouled. 

Edited by wasted

Sven's best competition was his first one, 2002. 2006 was a complete dog's dinner of a competition really. You could argue he failed to get the maximum potential out of a gifted generation. 

Capello went clinically insane in the England job. 

7 hours ago, killuridols said:

Why are you hating so much on Latinamericans?

Stop that shit.

Everybody is assuming Columbia will beat England yet Columbia are not even qualified! For all we know Senegal could beat Columbia sending Japan and Senegal through.  

I'd actually agree with moreblack.

With the exception of a brief flurry in 2004 (before Rooney was injured) England have never looked remotely decent since 2002. That is sixteen years of utter shite - not including qualification campaigns against your Lichtensteins and Andorras where England usually flattered to deceive. Virtually everything between 2002 and 2016 has been truly awful, Iceland capping off a period of abject sporting failure.

Poor opposition? Like Iceland? Like Algeria, United States and Slovenia (England's group in 2010, England sneaking through with two draws and a 1-0 win)? Like Trinidad and Tobago in 2006, England only finding the net in the 80th minute?

England have shown complete ineptitude in the past against so called ''poor teams''. We are not starting from a big base here you have to remember. We are starting from Iceland!!

• Like 1

I see it like champions league games now. But Messi is playing for a rubbish qualified by playoff team. 

So Germany, Brazil, Spain, France all are favorites and should feel bad not to win the WC. 

Edited by wasted

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'd actually agree with moreblack.

With the exception of a brief flurry in 2004 (before Rooney was injured) England have never looked remotely decent since 2002. That is sixteen years of utter shite - not including qualification campaigns against your Lichtensteins and Andorras where England usually flattered to deceive. Virtually everything between 2002 and 2016 has been truly awful, Iceland capping off a period of abject sporting failure.

Poor opposition? Like Iceland? Like Algeria, United States and Slovenia (England's group in 2010, England sneaking through with two draws and a 1-0 win)? Like Trinidad and Tobago in 2006, England only finding the net in the 80th minute?

England have shown complete ineptitude in the past against so called ''poor teams''. We are not starting from a big base here you have to remember. We are starting from Iceland!!

I don’t think you are saying anything. Everything after Sven has been utter bollocks. But we’ve been transitioning from 442 long ball playing brand names to trying to develop new tic tac players. Even Swansea play like Barca now. So now we have 4-5 tic tacs. And a german spy like Kane. 

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Everybody is assuming Columbia will beat England yet Columbia are not even qualified! For all we know Senegal could beat Columbia sending Japan and Senegal through.  

Aww... :lol:

I dont assume that! Football is unpredictable (imho) but you assume that Nigeria will beat Argentina too :max:

Play fair!

19 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

They were awful.

No wonder Columbia play such attractive passing-attacking football. Jose Pekerman. Argentina basically cut off its own testicles letting him go. Remember this,

That game was played on my bday. Had some friends from school come over to watch it. The game was played at 3pm, we were drunk by 2:30 and we were rooting for Argentina for about 20 minutes not even realizing that's not Serbia :lol: Then it was already all over so we decided to keep rooting for Argentina. One of the best WC memories I have 

3 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Which team are you talking about? Uru?

Yes and Russia.

3 hours ago, moreblack said:

Well, which of those 2 made it to the world cup final? That was a bad day for Germany but they were still a top team. On the other hand England were punching above their weight that day.

Still quarter finalists, knocked out by that killer Brazil side that beat the Germans too. Let's wait and judge this England side when they get to one of the big sides first.

As for tonight, I really hope Portugal finish second. I'd like a Portugal/Argentina Ronaldo/Messi QF. Though I'm skeptical. On the otherhand, Iran winning this and annoying American's would be fun too.

Edited by AtariLegend