Wichita Lineman Discussion Thread

24 minutes ago, dalsh327 said:

From Jimmy Webb: 

Guns N' Roses paid tribute to Glen Campbell by performing Wichita Lineman at a recent show. At the end, Axl says "For Glen". I am so moved by this. Completely unexpected. Thanks, guys. JLW
Thanks to Hyde Kirby for bringing it to our attention.

Nice!!!

21 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Probably what Axl had been talking to Slash about in his dressing room. That's why he came in all nice...like "Hey Slash..Buddy...Pal...confidant...let's do some covers" 

which im sure Slash getting Axl actively thinking about musical arrangements would be thrilling!

getting covers recorded would actually be a good way to get Axl into the studio lol. But he better not bring Paul Huge next time

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

getting covers recorded would actually be a good way to get Axl into the studio lol. But he better not bring Paul Huge next time

Axl is always in the studio, he has no problem getting into the studio.

Despite being a little ahead of the beat – perhaps the first time Rose has been early to anything – the singer nails the performance, leaning toward the understated in his delivery and lingering over the notes, while Slash, Fortus and bassist Duff McKagan huddle around Frank Ferrer's drum riser. Slash turns in a fluttering, acoustic solo, weaving in hints of flamenco to give the song an extra dose of elation.

http://www.rollingstone.com/country/news/see-guns-n-roses-cover-glen-campbells-wichita-lineman-w500531

:lol:

On 02/09/2017 at 5:40 PM, Gorthar said:

I was impressed with this cover of the song and sought out some of the Glen Campbell versions on youtube and came across this stirring rendition recorded by Glen Campbell with Stone Temple Pilots. It's a gorgeous and haunting song featuring Glen on vocals and six string bass.

truly beautiful

wonder how long it would take for axl, slash, duff to get in a studio and record a similar version of it

20 minutes? two hours? one day?

just hire a gardener to play the drums like axl did with that charles manson cover to make sure frank the drummer is not on it. also just make sure that slash takes double duty on rhythm and solo acoustic guitar to make sure richard the guitar player isnt on it. oh, and dont forget to send melissa the keyboarder to a chocolate store so whe wont be on it either. :rofl-lol:

On 31/08/2017 at 0:12 PM, killuridols said:

I don't like any of these new covers :max:

a hypothetical scenario

next show by axl, slash, duff and the aliens they play 10 songs from the axl solo album and 10-15 covers like Wichita Lineman and I Feel Good -- songs that they never played before on a regular basis. No live and let die and no knocking on heaven's door. just "new songs"

yeah they could throw 2 or 3 bones (GNR songs) to the dogs per show -- no problem with that

now why would anyone want that?

#1 reason) because, just like happened with axl/dc, we will get, all of a sudden, the chance to listen to axl singing 10-15 songs that we never heard him sing before

even better than axl/dc, now we will have the chance to listen to slash doing his tasty solos on all songs

and even duff is there as well

(best case scenario would be izzy and steven, but yeah, we all know that that just wont happen now...)

so, yeaeh, we have to deal with the four aliens, they will probably screw 50% of the cover songs -- like they did with those horrible arranngements for "I feel good"

but, yeah, maybe they will lay low like they do on Wichita Lineman and allow axl and slash and duff to shine...

#2 reason) we would have the bonus to not listen to GNR songs being played butchered by the aliens (and by axl annoying clean voice)

#3 reason) we would have a much more "concerned, involved, affected, connected" delivery/performance by axl for several reasons, among them a) he apparently enjoys singing these songs way more than singing sweet child for the umpteenth time and b) he/they woud have to "win" the audience with these new songs instead of having the game won even before it started

#4) slash and duff would probably be able allowed by their boss to pick a few covers that they would like to play so they would be "concerned, involved, affected, connected" as well

===

so what would you rather have?

guns n aliens playing butchering GNR all over again for the umpteenth time?

or would prefer to have the chance to listen to axl, slash, duff playing "new songs", with the odd chance of some of them end up sounding very good as is the case Wichita Lineman, that miracolously didnt get butchered by the aliens?

===

i can only imagine actual GNR playing these songs iit would be so much better but we wont have it now

I've been listening to the Yacht Rock Radio station on SiriusXM a lot lately.  This cover sounds good and like it belongs on that channel.  

I agree with the others who think the band should record music like this.  Still not convinced they'll record anything.  

9 hours ago, ludurigan said:

truly beautiful

wonder how long it would take for axl, slash, duff to get in a studio and record a similar version of it

20 minutes? two hours? one day?

just hire a gardener to play the drums like axl did with that charles manson cover to make sure frank the drummer is not on it. also just make sure that slash takes double duty on rhythm and solo acoustic guitar to make sure richard the guitar player isnt on it. oh, and dont forget to send melissa the keyboarder to a chocolate store so whe wont be on it either. :rofl-lol:

Would I break any forum rules if I said that you're a idiot? And you even find yourself funny... sad