Bands performing albums in their entirety

Powerage5

I can't remember this topic ever having been brought up before. How does everyone feel about bands performing albums in their entirety? I know it's sort of one of the big things for aging bands to do nowadays, to do a tour and base it around doing an entire album. I know some people see it as sort of just hopping on the bandwagon, but I think it's a fun concept personally. Even if it's a band doing their most famous album, casual fans are guaranteed a healthy dose of hits, while diehard fans are almost certainly guaranteed at least a couple deep, deep cuts. The bands who put on a big stage show can do a lot to tailor the stage show to that album, either bringing back elements of the stage show from that era, or using artwork and themes prominently, etc. 

I also thought it would be fun to discuss which albums you've seen a band perform in their entirety? Here's my list:

Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death (2006)
Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood (2009)
The Cult - Love (2009)
Iggy & The Stooges - Raw Power (2010)
Rush - Moving Pictures (2010)
Anthrax - Among The Living (2013)
King Diamond - Abigail (2015)
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Let's Face It (2017)
The Pietasters - Willis (2017)

U2 is doing this very thing right now. Every night of their tour the middle portion of the show is them performing The Joshua Tree album in it's entirety in running order. It's really awesome and a great way to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the album, along with the massive box set reissue of the album(hint hint GnR). I saw them on this tour opening night in Vancouver and though as far as U2 shows go that I've been too it isn't in my top 5, it was still really cool to see them perform the entire album which meant a few songs they had never played live before. My only critic of this in U2's case is, I think in a live setting the album would flow much much more effectively in reverse order. 

35 minutes ago, downzy said:

Hasn't Metallica played one of their earlier albums in its entirety?  

Haven't seen a band do this in person myself.  Kind of surprised to hear that you've seen that many bands play albums in full @Powerage5

Metallica has done a few of them in their entirety. They did a tour in 2006 (I think?) where they played Master Of Puppets in it's entirety. Then during their Orion festival they did twice, they've also done Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lighting, and the Black Album in their entirety.

32 minutes ago, Bono said:

U2 is doing this very thing right now. Every night of their tour the middle portion of the show is them performing The Joshua Tree album in it's entirety in running order. It's really awesome and a great way to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the album, along with the massive box set reissue of the album(hint hint GnR). I saw them on this tour opening night in Vancouver and though as far as U2 shows go that I've been too it isn't in my top 5, it was still really cool to see them perform the entire album which meant a few songs they had never played live before. My only critic of this in U2's case is, I think in a live setting the album would flow much much more effectively in reverse order. 

That's actually what prompted me to make this topic :lol: 

I think Rush doing Moving Pictures for their Time Machine tour was great.  It also helps that their shows are so long like 2.5 hours plus where the album is not the majority of the show.  I mean Moving Pictures was basically only a 4th of their show and they still incorporated their usual staples (Freewill, The Spirit of Radio, Working Man, Closer to the Heart) and brought some good rarities like Marathon, Presto, and La Villa Strangiato is always a pleasure to see in the set.  Also, they did 5 songs where three of them was from their latest album at the time (Snakes & Arrows) and two from an album not yet released at the time (Clockwork Angels).  Rush always knew how to build a long set well where they cover all the basis between all of their eras well.

I've seen this a lot. The best time it ever happened to me was a completely spontaneous occurrence. I was in 4th row July 15, 1994 when Pink Floyd performed The Dark Side of the Moon in it's entirety for the first time in 19 years. Probably my single favorite concert memory of all time.

I saw Green Day doing Dookie for the first time in it's entirety, unannounced. I went to the show with my little sister cause she loved American Idiot 10 years ago but in the end I was the happy one after the show :lol:

Also saw Metallica doing Black, but they did it in reverse order. They said they wanted to do something cool but I'm 100% certain it's because start of the album is really packed with hits (The Unforgiven, Sad but True and Enter Sandman are 3 of the first 4 tracks on the album) 

Roger Waters on The Wall tour. Actually I didn't like it that much musically, I figured out that a lot of miming was going on and then read online about it after and it really is mimed a lot but the whole show as a show is 10/10

And I saw Interpol doing Turn On The Bright Lights just a few weeks ago. That show was amazing, they play so tight, it's amazing to witness. 

That's it for me. I love those tours cause usually my favorite songs of artists aren't hits which are not on the setlists often. 

Edited by Nicklord

14 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Metallica has done a few of them in their entirety. They did a tour in 2006 (I think?) where they played Master Of Puppets in it's entirety.

I think they randomly did it at a festival show in 2008 as well (in Spain I think), though I could be wrong on that. A lot of people praying for Justice in full next year.

I've seen:

Fear Factory - Demanufacture

Alien Ant Farm - ANThology

Morbid Angel - Covenant

Enjoyed them all. Seen a few shows where artists have come a song or two shy of doing the full thing (Sheryl Crow with 100 Miles from Memphis, Kacey Musgraves with Same Trailer Different Park off the top of my head).

The Offspring have done this a lot (Ignition, Smash, Ixnay and Americana), would've liked to have seen those shows. Actually had tickets to an Ignition show in London but couldn't go. Less Than Jake have a DVD collection with their first six albums played live. Slayer have done Reign in Blood and Seasons in the Abyss, again two shows I'd have loved to have seen. I think I'm right in saying all of Welcome to My Nightmare was done by Alice Cooper in 1975, though not in order. That'd have been ace to see. And of course Maiden doing A Matter of Life and Death (wasn't too heavily into them at the time sadly). All of Blizzard of Ozz is available on Tribute (in one shape or another), though I'm unsure if all the songs (minus "Dee") were ever done at one show.

Saw Pearl Jam do the whole Vs. album. It wasn't any kind of special show just for that, they just said they felt like doing it the 2nd part of the show.

Black Crowes did their whole Croweology album. Which is essentially a greatest hits acoustic. That was a great show.

Raekwon did the whole Only Built 4 Cuban Linx album on the 20th anniversary tour. With help from Ghostface Killaaahhhhh.

I saw The Stooges do Raw Power entirely.  Not only did they do Raw Power but they did all of the like, b sides from that era, literally all of em, all those great songs that i love and adore that i never dreamt i'd ever get to hear done live, it was fuckin' incredible, Gimme Some Skin, I Got A Right, Cock in my Pocket, all of that.  Probably the most amazing gig I've ever been to.  Tried to vault the barriers and get onstage during the stage invasion but this security guard weren't having it.  Violently weren't havin' it :lol:  It was brilliant though, Ig' was in and out of the crowd, even landed on me at one point, it was mental.

I've only experienced this once, with Rush and Moving Pictures. I do remember the excitement for a ton of fans that they were finally going to play The Camera Eye live again. It was a pretty big deal.

Personally, I loved it. It helped that more casual fans knew a lot of the songs on that album (Limelight, Tom Sawyer, YYZ, etc.), but I think it's a great idea either way.

On 8/31/2017 at 10:22 PM, Powerage5 said:

I can't remember this topic ever having been brought up before. How does everyone feel about bands performing albums in their entirety? I know it's sort of one of the big things for aging bands to do nowadays, to do a tour and base it around doing an entire album. I know some people see it as sort of just hopping on the bandwagon, but I think it's a fun concept personally. Even if it's a band doing their most famous album, casual fans are guaranteed a healthy dose of hits, while diehard fans are almost certainly guaranteed at least a couple deep, deep cuts. The bands who put on a big stage show can do a lot to tailor the stage show to that album, either bringing back elements of the stage show from that era, or using artwork and themes prominently, etc. 

I also thought it would be fun to discuss which albums you've seen a band perform in their entirety? Here's my list:

Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death (2006)
Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood (2009)
The Cult - Love (2009)
Iggy & The Stooges - Raw Power (2010)
Rush - Moving Pictures (2010)
Anthrax - Among The Living (2013)
King Diamond - Abigail (2015)
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Let's Face It (2017)
The Pietasters - Willis (2017)

The Cult already did a tour performing the complete Love album back in September 2009 when they released the Love 25 anniversary box set.....saw them do this at the Boston HOB and it was fantastic.........they sold MP3 instant live memory sticks of the show I still have..........would love to see them do this with Electric, Sonic Temple and Ceremony albums.......

53 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

The Cult already did a tour performing the complete Love album back in September 2009 when they released the Love 25 anniversary box set.....saw them do this at the Boston HOB and it was fantastic.........they sold MP3 instant live memory sticks of the show I still have..........would love to see them do this with Electric, Sonic Temple and Ceremony albums.......

They had stopped doing the USB sticks before my show on the Love tour. Also, they did do a tour where they did all of Electric - in 2013 I believe. 

I've only ever seen one band do an album in full, and it was last year when Brand New played The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me. Easily one of the best shows of my life right there, because that album is one of my all time favorites and really strikes a lot emotional nerves for me. Singing along to it word for word in an arena full of thousands of people was transcendental.

4 minutes ago, chevelle said:

I've only ever seen one band do an album in full, and it was last year when Brand New played The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me. Easily one of the best shows of my life right there, because that album is one of my all time favorites and really strikes a lot emotional nerves for me. Singing along to it word for word in an arena full of thousands of people was transcendental.

I read a post on another forum I visit just yesterday about that album but didn't have time to check it out. I think I'll do that tonight...

I saw Buckcherry about a year ago and they played 15 in its entirety in honor of its 10th anniversary. Josh even said "without this album, no one would give a f***ing sh*t about Buckcherry" which is a testament to the album being the only major accomplishment the band had commercially. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have seen a few.

First I can recall was Metallica doing Master Of Puppets in full at Donington in 2006. Not sure if it was announced prior to the tour that they would do it but it was a really cool surprise to me.

Later that year I saw Maiden doing AMOLAD at the Point in Dublin. Great record that held up well in a live environment. Quite funny seeing people kicking off about the vast majority of the set being new stuff despite the band doing loads of press prior saying that they were doing the new one in full.

Saw The Wildhearts play Chutzpah in full in Glasgow in 2009 which was tremendous. They'd actually put out a few polls prior to the tour as to what the set would be and the whole of the new record plus a set of classics won easily.

Was also at the Cult doing Love in full the same year in Edinburgh. One of my favourite guitar records of all time and was stood directly in front of Mr Duffy the whole evening as he wailed on his Gretsch.