Had the appetite 5 runited do you think the tour would have been more successful??

craiggunslover

I know the great izzy and Steven disscussion. .I was thinking yesterday how if they had done this reunion proberly, and got all five key player's involved, how kick ass it would be to see them altogether live in person..man I really don't get they're thinking on this ,why not make the fans happy, and revisit a chemistry that is magic in a bottle without a doubt,  (just look when adler joined up they looked and sounded amazing ) so imagine with izzy included boom!!!!!

No. The setlist would just be AFD plus a few covers so you're looking at a hour and half show. Which isn't a bad thing, the show would kick absolute ass! 

Im just not sure the reviews would be strong. Very few reviews have said anything about the ticket prices but that's Bc they are getting a 3 and half hour show. I could be way wrong in underestimating the appeal of the AFD lineup though. Just trying to make some points.

It would be a totally different tour and I think with 5 original guys you run into the problem of factions forming within the band on the direction. Right now it's a cohesive effort between Axl, Slash and Duff. 

As far as ticket sales and money grossed goes then I don't think it would be much more successful as it's already in the top 10 tours of all time and I think this is why there doesn't seem to be much desire to do a full reunion.

As far as on stage goes then for the hardcore fans it would be a better tour. No matter how good the shows have been this tour  to have the AFD 5 on stage together brings something special no other members can bring. It would also be good to hear songs like Rocket Queen being played properly and maybe a chance to hear 14 years. 

3 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

I was under the impression it was already wildly successful so im not sure much better it could do.

Really all casual fans care about is Axl and Slash.

I would say this right there.  Not a single casual fan I talked to even mentioned anyone else they were just head over heels about Axl/Slash combo.  there are many of us who would love to see the other guys as well but I don't think it would change anything for the success on a grande scale

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

The Tour certainly would've had more integrity had they not sold out izzy over money.  and it certainly would've sounded more like gnr had Steven and Matt not been so threatening to Fernando's singer. 

I think the tour would've made more money too... how much who's to say... with axl's employees filling out the other band positions word of mouth was that it was only "part" of gnr - WHICH IS THE TRUTH - so there was the reality it wasn't really a true reunion which keeps purists away because purists understand izzy is the foundation of the whole fucking house... 

26 minutes ago, Sunset Gardner said:

The Tour certainly would've had more integrity had they not sold out izzy over money.  and it certainly would've sounded more like gnr had Steven and Matt not been so threatening to Fernando's singer. 

I think the tour would've made more money too... how much who's to say... with axl's employees filling out the other band positions word of mouth was that it was only "part" of gnr - WHICH IS THE TRUTH - so there was the reality it wasn't really a true reunion which keeps purists away because purists understand izzy is the foundation of the whole fucking house... 

Strange way to write all that but anyways.  The success of THIS tour has nothing to do with other players.  It is unfortunate to be sure but it isnt affecting the tour in any way.  If you grab a random off the street and ask if they know GNR and ask them to name a few members who do you think will pop up?

• GNFNR 1

6 hours ago, Sunset Gardner said:

But purists are what... a tiny portion of hardcore GNR fans which is a tiny portion of GNR fans in general?  So all in all I don't think it would have been a lot more successful than the success things have already been

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

wtf :facepalm:

izzy and steven can play any song from every GNR album (appetite, lies, illusion 1, illusion 2, spaghetti) and any song from the axl solo album and any cover they want to

I think you'd be asking too much of Steven and Izzy to do a 3 hour show every few days for over 100 shows. I doubt they'd want to learn other people's songs. I think if it's the five of them they come out and do a short show with high energy. It would be amazing 

I think it would very short sighted to suggest AFD 5 wouldn't have been bigger & better on every level. 

The marketing opportunities and media opportunities would have been multiplied a million times over (if Axl gave a damn about it) and if professionals were running the show in that regard. 

This tour is top 10 all time but that doesn't mean AFD 5 couldn't have topped it. This tour has been wildly successful, and I enjoyed the show I went too. But they missed a major opportunity in the eyes of a lot of fans. Not that they care, their bank balances have a lot more zeroes than they did 18 months ago. 

Edited by Tadsy

You throw Slash into a glorified "new GNR" line-up and the band starts playing stadiums again. That's not a coincidence. It seems that the general ticket buying public would have considered just Slash coming back a reunion. Duff is the icing on the cake - a further way of legitimizing the whole thing. I would have loved to have seen the AFD5 in at least some way over the tour (although I like the current line-up), but I don't think Steven and/or Izzy would have made much difference in ticket sales or pricing.

I think it could still happen but it's going to be a residency or a private party. Izzy's always had an open invitation to join them as a special guest and he's taken them up on it many times. I think he's disappointed in Duff and Slash not pushing harder for him to be a part of it. It's always possible he'll pop up at a GNR gig, but who knows the last time any of them spoke to Izzy since the tour started. I'd love it if Izzy and Steven played the MSG and LA dates and the three decided to be generous and "take a shave" (pay cut)  so they could do the AFD lineup for a few nights. It's the end of the tour and for all we know, they might decide to disband GNR.  

It's possible a lot of former members will be showing up as special guests, including Buckethead because of Melissa's connection, and mended that fence between Axl and Bucket. It would be fun to see Slash and Bucket on the same stage where they can bust out Shackler's Revenge as a one-off. Surprised Brain hasn't popped in though. 

5 hours ago, dalsh327 said:

It's possible a lot of former members will be showing up as special guests, including Buckethead because of Melissa's connection, and mended that fence between Axl and Bucket. It would be fun to see Slash and Bucket on the same stage where they can bust out Shackler's Revenge as a one-off. Surprised Brain hasn't popped in though. 

Lol good one.  Maybe Gilby, Izzy, Tobias, Robin, bucket, ashba, slash and Fortus will all trade licks up on stage, backed by a quadruple drum assault of Steven, Matt, Brain and Frank, with a double bass tandem of duff and Tommy, and a keyboard bonanza of dizzy, Pittman, and Melissa! It'll be anarchy!!! WOWIE ZOWIE!!!

16 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

I think you'd be asking too much of Steven and Izzy to do a 3 hour show every few days for over 100 shows. I doubt they'd want to learn other people's songs. I think if it's the five of them they come out and do a short show with high energy. It would be amazing 

oh, so "steven cant play" and "izzy wont tour" doesnt work anymore so lets use now something different like "izzy and steven wont play a 3 hour show" or how about "izzy and steven wont learn other people's songs"?

WTF :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

what other people songs are you talking about?

izzy knows ALL guns n roses songs, he has helped to write and record ALL of them!

same goes for steven who knows ALL gnr songs minus maybe 10 songs from the illusions, which he can learn -- if he hasnt learned already -- in ten seconds.

if you mean axl solo songs, gimme a fucking break. anyone can learn these songs. and if you knew a bit about GNR you would know that if GNR were to ever play those songs they would play it the GNR way -- that means removing all the bullshit from them and giving them some groove and flow. that means turning them into something else -- way better than anything done by those who recorded them in studio and also way better than any live version by axl, slash, duff and the musicians that axl chose to tour with

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ludurigan said:

oh, so "steven cant play" and "izzy wont tour" doesnt work anymore so lets use now something different like "izzy and steven wont play a 3 hour show" or how about "izzy and steven wont learn other people's songs"?

WTF :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

what other people songs are you talking about?

izzy knows ALL guns n roses songs, he has helped to write and record ALL of them!

same goes for steven who knows ALL gnr songs minus maybe 10 songs from the illusions, which he can learn -- if he hasnt learned already -- in ten seconds.

if you mean axl solo songs, gimme a fucking break. anyone can learn these songs. and if you knew a bit about GNR you would know that if GNR were to ever play those songs they would play it the GNR way -- that means removing all the bullshit from them and giving them some groove and flow. that means turning them into something else -- way better than anything done by those who recorded them in studio and also way better than any live version by axl, slash, duff and the musicians that axl chose to tour with

Like I stated, just playing a bit of devils advocate. Seems like most would choose the obvious answer. 

Izzy would have to learn CD songs and covers...I doubt he'd think any of which belong in their show. 

Steven hurt his back apparently rehearsing with the band. Him withstanding an entire tour might have been a question mark.

With all that said there is no lineup I'd rather see than these 5. It's just one of those situations where I don't think they could have done a tour like the one they are doing. I think the current tour in its form would take away some of the energy and magic we would expect out of the original lineup. 

Imo the show is too slow, it needs better rhythm, it needs more rockers, and I think that would work great for the AFD lineup who could put on a better hour and half set than a 3 and half hour set.