Excited About GNR future

Axl is just a singer now. He retired from composing and making art some time after the CD release.

Gone are the days Axl would take the time to write about his inner demons and how broken his heart is. Now he focuses on covering songs about feeling good and is probably more excited to work for a band that sings about rock, thunder and trains than going back to his miserable Stephanie Seymour universe.

And I can't blame him. CD showed Axl is not very good at making alternative/different music. He's a rock guy, he enjoys women, drinking and partying. That's who he is. That's why CD is so pathetically bad. Axl is all about sex, drugs and rock n' roll. He doesn't care about art or integrity.

• GNFNR 1

Yes, the early (Buckethead) Nugnr era was his attempt at being an art guy like Trent or Roger Waters and it was a bit of a disaster to say the least so he flipped into 1980s hair revivalism at around the same time he recruited Ashba, which was also a disaster until Slash and Duff arrived and the money rolled in, although it is a complete disaster if you ever wanted new music. It is like comparing night and day!

It is a pity Rose could not have found a happy medium between the two extremes, the creative side who was working with freaks in 2001 and his rock n' roller side.

Edited by DieselDaisy
Elaboration.

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes, the early (Buckethead) Nugnr era was his attempt at being an art guy like Trent or Roger Waters and it was a bit of a disaster to say the least so he flipped into 1980s hair revivalism at around the same time he recruited Ashba. It is like comparing night and day.

That's why we will never listen to Atlas, The General or whatever the fuck his solo crap was called. They don't reflect current Axl - an old singer singing his songs from the 80s and working for a hard rock band that is all about the rock n' roll life. At least Axl realized that's who he is: a rock singer with zero ability to make more artistic music.

1 minute ago, maynard said:

That's why we will never listen to Atlas, The General or whatever the fuck his solo crap was called. They don't reflect current Axl - an old singer singing his songs from the 80s and working for a hard rock band that is all about the rock n' roll life. At least Axl realized that's who he is: a rock singer with zero ability to make more artistic music.

The problem with that is you'll not get much of anything new really, i.e. he has slipped so far into corporate revivalism that he is content to just ply the hits and not even do a halfway decent rock n' roll record with Slash.

17 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The problem with that is you'll not get much of anything new really, i.e. he has slipped so far into corporate revivalism that he is content to just ply the hits and not even do a halfway decent rock n' roll record with Slash.

Yep, Axl is a performer. And his performances have been bad for a while. I'd say he's one of the worst famous musicians currently touring.

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Had to remove some posts from the thread. Please keep this post by @downzy in mind when posting sources for GN'R news:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/218917-insiders/

I would like to add that we are not a source for information...simply a fan forum. So any speculation on rumor from whatever source shouldn't be seen as the forum posting information. This is just a place to discuss information or non information. By not discussing it I think the forum validates misinformation even more so. But it's not my call. I see both sides. 

Even Axl's taste in music seems to be stale and stuck in the past....... Billy Joel? Wichita Lineman? I feel good?

Those are nice songs but old as fuck. I would think Axl, pretending to be Trent Reznor in the past, would have chosen other type of songs to cover.

Black Hole Sun sounds shitty but at least is somewhat of a modern thing. And that happened only because of the passing of Chris Cornell.

It sucks to know Axl abandoned his dreams but if he sings with AC/DC it is not so bad because he does it good and I was never a big fan of AC/DC so everything is really new to me :shrugs:

Edited by killuridols
typo

1 minute ago, IncitingChaos said:

I would like to add that we are not a source for information...simply a fan forum. So any speculation on rumor from whatever source shouldn't be seen as the forum posting information. This is just a place to discuss information or non information. By not discussing it I think the forum validates misinformation even more so. But it's not my call. I see both sides. 

The policy of this forum, long before I became its owner, has been not to provide a platform for wild speculation on the basis of some random person from the Internet.  Consider this "insider" has repeatedly refused to provide their sources, has zero credibility, and continues to report explicitly wrong information as fact, we will continue to follow the longstanding policy  as it has been enforced since the early days of this forum.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, downzy said:

The policy of this forum, long before I became its owner, has been not to provide a platform for wild speculation on the basis of some random person from the Internet.  Consider this "insider" has repeatedly refused to provide their sources, has zero credibility, and continues to report explicitly wrong information as fact, we will continue to follow the longstanding policy  as it has been enforced since the early days of this forum.  

Completely understand! It will be hard to keep rumors down, especially when we are fans of a band that provides so little! 

But good luck, I'll try to stay in line with the policy. 

5 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Even Axl's taste in music seems to be stale and stuck in the past....... Billy Joel? Wichita Lineman? I feel good?

Those are nice songs but old as fuck. I would think Axl, pretending to be Trent Reznor in the past, would have chosen other type of songs to cover.

Black Hole Sun sounds shitty but at least is somewhat of a modern thing. And that happened only because of the passing of Chris Cornell.

It sucks to know Axl abandoned his dreams but if he sings with AC/DC it is not so bad because he does it good and I was never a big fan of AC/DC so everything is really new to me :shrugs:

We want different things out of life as we age.  While it's disappointing as fans that some of Axl's goals from ten to fifteen years ago didn't come to fruition, it's also understandable that he wants different things out of life now that he's in his late 50s.  

I think those few fans who hold on to anger, disappointment, and resentment because Axl never delivered what they wanted (or what he potentially wanted) are only hurting themselves.  There was a time (excuse the phrase) for all of those emotions.  At this point it makes little sense to do anything other than to celebrate the fact that Axl, Slash, and Duff are touring the world, playing a monster setlist (even if it changes very little for those who follow every single show) and are still alive.  It could be a whole lot worse.  Just ask fans of Soundgardan, Lincoln Park, STP, and Motorhead.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Completely understand! It will be hard to keep rumors down, especially when we are fans of a band that provides so little! 

But good luck, I'll try to stay in line with the policy. 

I totally understand both the frustration and need/want to know.  GNR creates fertile grounds for speculation and self-proclaimed "insiders" to help feed the hunger.  I'm sure you'd agree and believe me when I say there's a million things myself and the staff would be rather doing than scanning and hiding information with little credibility other than "some guy says this..." It would be great if GNR were a little more forthcoming with their plans and intentions.  But that's never been the case.  

We also view it as a responsibility to ensure that inaccurate information isn't be reported as fact.  Too many times this forum and, on occasion, myself have been used as sources by news outlets (some reputable, some not so much).  It's one thing for some random person to make claims on a site that no one or few reads, but it's another when that information is allowed to be repeated here (which receives thousands to tens of thousands of visitors per day) and potentially be used by news outlets to drive traffic.  

At the end of the day we're just fans.  We're happy to allow for speculation and venting of frustrations.  But we draw the line when "insider information" comes from dubious sources who refuse to provide to the forum publicly (or the staff privately) where they came across that information.  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, downzy said:

We want different things out of life as we age.  While it's disappointing as fans that some of Axl's goals from ten to fifteen years ago didn't come to fruition, it's also understandable that he wants different things out of life now that he's in his late 50s.  

I think those few fans who hold on to anger, disappointment, and resentment because Axl never delivered what they wanted (or what he potentially wanted) are only hurting themselves.  There was a time (excuse the phrase) for all of those emotions.  At this point it makes little sense to do anything other than to celebrate the fact that Axl, Slash, and Duff are touring the world, playing a monster setlist (even if it changes very little for those who follow every single show) and are still alive.  It could be a whole lot worse.  Just ask fans of Soundgardan, Lincoln Park, STP, and Motorhead.  

How's that worse? All of those bands have catalogues that are double or triple the size of GNRs. Whilst I'm pleased for Axl and co that they're not six feet under, it's the music why I'm here, and the fanbases of those bands have all had it a lot better than Guns fans over the years. If you're not much into live shows (which I'm not) then being into GNR is dull as dishwater. It's just year after year of nothing, no albums, not even a one off single or a bonus track tacked onto the end of a hits compilation.

Edited by Towelie

Just now, Towelie said:

How's that worse? All of those bands have catalogues that are double or triple the size of GNRs. Whilst I'm pleased for Axl and co that they're not six feet under, it's the music why I'm here, and the fanbases of those bands have all had it a lot better than Guns fans over the years. If you're not much into live shows (which I'm not) then being  GNR is dull as dishwater. It's just year after year of nothing, no albums, not even a one off single or a bonus track tacked onto the end of a hits compilation.

So you'd rather have a dead Axl with a few more albums under his belt than a living one with the discography that we got?   

5 minutes ago, downzy said:

Yup. But it is usually evolving into new things that you never did before, not returning to the same places you were in your early 20s (I mention this only because of the rumour of him recording with AC/DC.... if he's gonna do something else, ok, let's wait and see).

10 minutes ago, downzy said:

Well, I don't hold any resentment or anger because I'm a normal person with normal psyque, so don't frame me into that type of fan.

Disappoinment? Yes and I don't see anything bad with feeling that way. When you care about your artists you want them to do great and shine and evolve and be the best of the best. I don't see how Axl could do this if he keeps going on endless nostalgia tours or covering other artists. But if that's what keeps him happy, then so be it.

As for celebrating that they are back playing together, in a couple of weeks I'll be going to my 4th GN'R show so....... I'm not exactly one of those who are missing the party. But I will not be attending any more shows if this nostalgia act continues, so if it doesn't make sense to you, it does make sense to me.

Being alive is a phase. We all are going to die anyway. Being alive without being productive............. well I'd rather be dead.

1 minute ago, downzy said:

So you'd rather have a dead Axl with a few more albums under his belt than a living one with the discography that we got?   

Of course I wouldn't wish the man dead, but it wouldn't make one iota of difference to my fandom if he did pop his clogs. Most GNR fans have been mourning the loss of his wasted potential for the last twenty years. It's not like you could turn around and say "just think of all the great music we've missed out on now he's gone."

2 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Yup. But it is usually evolving into new things that you never did before, not returning to the same places you were in your early 20s (I mention this only because of the rumour of him recording with AC/DC.... if he's gonna do something else, ok, let's wait and see).

Well, I don't hold any resentment or anger because I'm a normal person with normal psyque, so don't frame me into that type of fan.

Disappoinment? Yes and I don't see anything bad with feeling that way. When you care about your artists you want them to do great and shine and evolve and be the best of the best. I don't see how Axl could do this if he keeps going on endless nostalgia tours or covering other artists. But if that's what keeps him happy, then so be it.

As for celebrating that they are back playing together, in a couple of weeks I'll be going to my 4th GN'R show so....... I'm not exactly one of those who are missing the party. But I will not be attending any more shows if this nostalgia act continues, so if it doesn't make sense to you, it does make sense to me.

Being alive is a phase. We all are going to die anyway. Being alive without being productive............. well I'd rather be dead.

Sorry, didn't mean to insinuate that you were one of those people.  Apologies for that.  

But there are quite a few people that still hold out resentment for Axl delivering one album, and one album only.  Trust me, I would love to have three or four more GNR albums from Axl.  It would be great if we could have heard more from our favourite musician/frontman.  I just don't think it's worth holding onto the anger and disappointment.  As soon as the rumours of Slash re-joining the band I realized that it likely would end any hope we'd have for a new album any time soon.  A part of me was disappointed by that fact.  But as time wore on, I decided I was better served focusing on the good things this reunion would bring.  

Also, just because we haven't heard new material doesn't mean Axl hasn't been productive.  

5 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Of course I wouldn't wish the man dead, but it wouldn't make one iota of difference to my fandom if he did pop his clogs. Most GNR fans have been mourning the loss of his wasted potential for the last twenty years. It's not like you could turn around and say "just think of all the great music we've missed out on now he's gone."

That's my point.  I'd like to think most of us are more than just fans, we're people too.  As a fan, it is disappointing we only got one album in a twenty year stretch.  But as a person, I'm glad Axl is still alive and seemingly enjoying life.  It would be great if we could have both, but obviously we can't for reasons only Axl knows (or maybe he doesn't really know).  Ultimately, as fun and as important as being a fan is to our daily lives, I still think being a good human is more important.    

13 minutes ago, downzy said:

Sorry, didn't mean to insinuate that you were one of those people.  Apologies for that.  

But there are quite a few people that still hold out resentment for Axl delivering one album, and one album only.  Trust me, I would love to have three or four more GNR albums from Axl.  It would be great if we could have heard more from our favourite musician/frontman.  I just don't think it's worth holding onto the anger and disappointment.  As soon as the rumours of Slash re-joining the band I realized that it likely would end any hope we'd have for a new album any time soon.  A part of me was disappointed by that fact.  But as time wore on, I decided I was better served focusing on the good things this reunion would bring.  

Also, just because we haven't heard new material doesn't mean Axl hasn't been productive.  

That's ok!

Hmmm... I'm not sure people hold "resentment" because of him not releasing albums. It is more like disappoinment to me.... and this is because Axl fed that to the fans. He talked about his vision, about doing things, about Chinese Democracy, the trilogy, the amazing songs and blah blah.... He told us a fairy tale story that soon became a horror movie :unsure:

It's only natural to become disappoinment when you had expectations and someone feeding your expectations. Had Axl been straight-forward to the fans and come out saying "Look, I'm not interested in making new music so don't expect jack shit from me. I like performing and singing. I'm gonna stick to this so.... see you at the shows!" then fans would know what to do. But the way it is now..... it's a huge question mark dangling in front of our eyes..... So, yes, it looks like thousands of us are focusing on the good things, as you say, like attending shows but that's gonna end too..... and let's be real, how many shows can one fan attend?? (not talking about the super millionaire fans with 100 shows on their backs; just the regular ones). After you've done your show there's really nothing else to look forward to.

• GNFNR 1

4 minutes ago, killuridols said:

That's ok!

Hmmm... I'm not sure people hold "resentment" because of him not releasing albums. It is more like disappoinment to me.... and this is because Axl fed that to the fans. He talked about his vision, about doing things, about Chinese Democracy, the trilogy, the amazing songs and blah blah.... He told us a fairy tale story that soon became a horror movie :unsure:

It's only natural to become disappoinment when you had expectations and someone feeding your expectations. Had Axl been straight-forward to the fans and come out saying "Look, I'm not interested in making new music so don't expect jack shit from me. I like performing and singing. I'm gonna stick to this so.... see you at the shows!" then fans would know what to do. But the way it is now..... it's a huge question mark dangling in front of our eyes..... So, yes, it looks like thousands of us are focusing on the good things, as you say, like attending shows but that's gonna end too..... and let's be real, how many shows can one fan attend?? (not talking about the super millionaire fans with 100 shows on their backs; just the regular ones). After you've done your show there's really nothing else to look forward to.

You'll have to trust me (and other staff members) who review this forum on a daily basis when I say there is a lot of resentment from many individuals.  Granted, most of them no longer post here and prefer to express their outrage elsewhere (which is fine by us), but anger resentment does exist in many people who have followed along.  And I'm not saying that those emotions weren't justified at one point in time, but we're now almost nine years gone since the release of CD.  Time to get over and move on.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, downzy said:

You'll have to trust me (and other staff members) who review this forum on a daily basis when I say there is a lot of resentment from many individuals.  Granted, most of them no longer post here and prefer to express their outrage elsewhere (which is fine by us), but anger resentment does exist in many people who have followed along.  And I'm not saying that those emotions aren't justified, but we're now almost nine years gone since the release of CD.  Time to get over and move on.  

Yes, I totally know what you mean and I trust you because I know who you're talking about. Thing is.... I'm not sure those people represent the whole fandom, I think they are a small percentage, and I do think there are a lot more disappointed fans.

Sometimes, when people are disappointed and they express themselves, words come out with rage or anger. So it can get confusing. But holding resentment against someone who's not done anything particularly bad to you, that belongs to another dimension like mental sickness. A rock band could not or should not cause these things on people. And if it seems it does, that person is probably going under some other personal problem that gets masked or mixed up with their behavior on forums.

Anyway, yeah, I guess it's hard to move on when you see the main band members are back together and things seem to be going smooth among them, at least on the stage. So the circle of expectations starts again. But I assume that when tour ends the panorama will be more clear on what to expect and where to move on to.