Is there a MEDIA BAN? What's the SCOPE of it? Will it EVER be lifted or IS IT FOR LIFE?

Ok so there are all sorts of talks on this forum about a likely "media ban" that supposedly prevents slash and duff from giving interviews about this tour

(and who knows about what else).

For what I was able to learn, in order for this tour to happen, and likely by axl's request, slash and duff agreed not to talk about any of it for a "X" number of years.

Right?

Ok...

So I have 3 questions.

#1) Do you guys believe that there is really a MEDIA BAN?

#2) If there is such a media ban, what's the SCOPE of it -- THIS TOUR OR ALL THINGS GNR?

#3) If there is such a media ban, will it EVER be lifted or IS IT FOR LIFE?

(i find this last question fascinating given axl famous desire to control everything -- including everything that is said about GNR on the press. I suppose he would be very happy if he was able to obtain that -- the possibility to have Slash and Duff to NEVER talk about this tour in the press, ever)

Feel free to speculate!

I'm sure they'll talk about it at some point, but considering the context in which all of this came about (i.e., day-by-day, see how it goes), it makes a lot of sense for all parties to agree to avoid interviews and the media in general.  There is just way too much money on the line and it was a wise move to avoid the possibility of giving the wrong answer or being taken out of context and inflaming past tensions.  

It wouldn't surprise me if we hear more from Axl, Duff, and Slash once GNR decides to go on hiatus.  But having said that, if there is an interest in putting GNR back on the road again down the line, I'd be surprised if we ever hear any "dirt" from any person involved.  GNR is such a cash cow that should anyone involved wish to fill their bank accounts again it would behoove them to keep things on the up and up.  

I don't believe any band member would ever sign anything that kept them quiet in perpetuity.  If there is a "media ban," it likely has a shelf life.  But again, I wouldn't expect any member to speak ill of anyone or anything even if they feel that way.   Why burn bridges?  

• Like 2

What crossed my mind viewing all that backstage footage they did on all those youtube trailer videos was that maybe they avoid media to tell the story of the reunion on their own terms by releasing a DVD documenting the tour, and have interviews included there by people they know interviewing them. Would certainly make sense and be an awesome thing for fans to buy

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, downzy said:

I'm sure they'll talk about it at some point, but considering the context in which all of this came about (i.e., day-by-day, see how it goes), it makes a lot of sense for all parties to agree to avoid interviews and the media in general.  There is just way too much money on the line and it was a wise move to avoid the possibility of giving the wrong answer or being taken out of context and inflaming past tensions.  

It wouldn't surprise me if we hear more from Axl, Duff, and Slash once GNR decides to go on hiatus.  But having said that, if there is an interest in putting GNR back on the road again down the line, I'd be surprised if we ever hear any "dirt" from any person involved.  GNR is such a cash cow that should anyone involved wish to fill their bank accounts again it would behoove them to keep things on the up and up.  

I don't believe any band member would ever sign anything that kept them quiet in perpetuity.  If there is a "media ban," it likely has a shelf life.  But again, I wouldn't expect any member to speak ill of anyone or anything even if they feel that way.   Why burn bridges?  

Agreed

At the moment, they don't need to do any interviews to sell tickets. There will come a time when they will have to do a Rolling Stone cover story or a couple radio interviews but they will wait as long as possible.

And understandably so. They know as well as we do that any interview will be looking to get dirt on how Axl and Slash patched things up - if you were either party, would you really want to subject yourself to that? I sure wouldn't.

Oh fuck, here we go again, the band acting like a bunch of fuckin pussies. 

oh better not say anything, might upset axl! Better not say anything.. Might upset slash! Fuck me...

heres how it works in the real world, people from time to time say things, in any group of blokes, whether it be a basketball team, a football team, or just a regular bunch of mates at a local pub, things get said and there's a blow up and it's fixed either right there or within a day or 2! It's called being a man and not a fuckin pussy. 

Somehow we (as a fan base) have come to justify these blokes acting like fucking bitches like its normal behaviour! Oh but they are rock stars I hear you say! Who gives a fuck! Be a man (duff wrote a book on it apparently) 

Just do some fucking interviews for your fan base that's made you multi bazillionaires you jackasses and don't worry so much whether someone says something you don't like! It's called being a man! FFS 😉

Edited by Tadsy

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Listen, you're on to make a few quid in your twilight years, why mess up a good thing by forcing the issue regarding interviews, it's not like famous guys enjoy giving interviews, its not like they got anything to tell you.

Exactly. Axl did two interviews last year which is pretty much unheard of for him. If I were Slash I wouldn't want to answer any more questions about reuniting with Axl after I'd already done it. 

9 hours ago, ludurigan said:

So I have 3 questions.

#1) Do you guys believe that there is really a MEDIA BAN?

#2) If there is such a media ban, what's the SCOPE of it -- THIS TOUR OR ALL THINGS GNR?

#3) If there is such a media ban, will it EVER be lifted or IS IT FOR LIFE?

#1) No, I think there is an agreement among the band members on how to handle media, not a ban.

#2) N/A

#3) N/A

Slash's normal modus operandi is to conduct five million interviews per day. Rose has basically had a media ban of some sort since the Illusion period - especially so from about 1994 onward from which you can count the amount of interviews appearing on one hand. Not hard to work out the reason why? Slash is 'towing the party line' of Axl and the Brazilian clique.

All a bit heavy handed for a band no one really gives a fuck about.  i mean obviously they have fans and that but whats anyone really gonna say, it's not like they're some new kid on the block band that formed 3 years ago at the peak of their powers that are gonna come out and say shit and it'll have a seismic effect on their public profile, they're just a bunch of old knackers, they can say what they want, sort of like Keith Richards, he always comes out with moody shit every couple of years and its just like 'yeaaah, alright Grandad'.

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

All a bit heavy handed for a band no one really gives a fuck about.  i mean obviously they have fans and that but whats anyone really gonna say, it's not like they're some new kid on the block band that formed 3 years ago at the peak of their powers that are gonna come out and say shit and it'll have a seismic effect on their public profile, they're just a bunch of old knackers, they can say what they want, sort of like Keith Richards, he always comes out with moody shit every couple of years and its just like 'yeaaah, alright Grandad'.

He normally slags off Jagger and then makes up with something like, ''yeh man, I love the little fucker''. Usually this happens when Mick decides to release a solo album.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He normally slags off Jagger and then makes up with something like, ''yeh man, I love the little fucker''. Usually this happens when Mick decides to release a solo album.

Or:

'i snorted my old mans ashes!'

'hip hop is for tone deaf people!' (you probably agree with that :lol: )

and other such shit.  Keith is royalty though, Keith can say what he wants.  He's clearly a massive dickhead but you've got to let things slide with talent like that.  Mike Tyson was a deeply unpleasant human being too...but he's still Mike Tyson.

I talk to Mitch a bit. He met up with Slash backstage at one of the Canada show's and asked Slash for a interviews and he said "Not at this time" he got a backstage pass through Alan N

Edited by Gibbo
  • Thanks 1

Slash has done so many Howard Stern interviews, how can he ever do another one without blowing up the reunion?

"Slash, you've been on my couch twenty three times and promoted all of your projects with me, does Axl Rose still want to kill you and is it true you bedded his ex-fiance in a druken stupor?"

"Um, Howard, I brought my guitar if you want to hear me play today. I wrote a new song in the limo to the studio."

i dont think theres a "media ban" per say... i do think that slash and duff dont wanna do interviews simply to avoid the obvious questions they cant really answer like when will we hear new music... idk about you guys but i dont want them to start sounding like fortus does every few months with the vague hints about how hopeful he is lol

theres also the fact that theyll be asked the same shit theyve already been asked a million times already about why the broke up in the first place... i mean what questions can the media really ask other than when a new album is expected that you actually wanna hear the answer to? and i doubt either of them wanna be part of another CD circus

The purpose of most media interviews is to promote something in order to make money. You could argue that by doing more interviews they could have shifted even more tickets but I think in the first 12 or 18 months of this reunion the difference that would have made, in monetary terms, was probably not enough for them to want to do it.

We have seen Duff do a few things and even Axl individually has probably done a little more than in recent years. Clearly though Axl and Slash do not want to jointly face the inevitable questions they would get if they sat down together for an interview. It's frustrating as a fan but I see the predicament they are in. 

I also think Slash has been avoidant for more personal reasons, the reunion coincided with his divorce and with the numerous rumours about the two things being linked that is another topic that would likely be broached. Now his kids are teenagers he is probably reluctant to get into that publicly or give his ex a reason to court press herself.

No doubt some stuff will be said on all sides eventually but it might be a few years from now when most of the good reasons for saying nothing are gone.

2 minutes ago, Magnus Cavalerra said:

Fortus seems like didn't affected by media ban.

^This!!!!

If there was actually a contractual ban, one would have to assume that Fortus would be at least as restricted as Slash or Duff.  Axl and Duff gave that interview last year that led to Izzy's tweet.  Axl and Slash together in an interview would do nothing positive but would have the chance to dredge up old animosity and set their relationship back again.

I honestly can't remember many multi-member interviews after 1991 during the UYI tour.

When Slash's girlfriend was streaming him live hanging out in the dressing room, she turns to see who's coming in and when it's Axl she turns the camera away right away and apologizes for being live. He seems to say it's fine but she doesn't turn the camera back to him and knew right away she couldn't just film Axl. There seems to be some sort of agreement on what can be shared publicly. 

Since they haven’t had time to compose and record properly due to the ongoing tour, perhaps there is nothing much to say as of now, and maybe they just don’t wanna give empty promises. 
Like with MANY other things being discussed throughout this forum, I say let’s wait until after the tour. 

Considering how much Axl was ripped on back in the day by the media (albeit he brought a lot of it on himself) it's no real surprise that he's not interested.  Duff/Slash- i was surprised at 1st but no longer, it's clear they don't need too.  I am shocked that Steven hasn't been piping off more, not sure if he's still holding out for a reunion again.  Izzy-who the fuck knows. 

5 minutes ago, Original said:

I am shocked that Steven hasn't been piping off more

If he was honest about having closure now, then there's no reason for it. Most outlets most won't give him much attention anyway, he's not very news worthy.