Hurricane Irma

downzy

Hurricane Irma has been barrelling through the Caribbean and a day or two from touching down in Florida.  It looks like it will be one of the most destructive hurricanes to ravage the region.  

The last monster hurricane to bring destruction was Hurricane Andrew that hit a little more than twenty five years ago.  It's crazy to think how much destruction that hurricane brought and how much larger Irma is in comparison:

hurricaneirmagif.gif?w=800&h=450
(Hurricane Andrew is super imposed/flashing to provide comparison).  

Wishing everyone, along with forum members, to be safe and get the hell out of Southern Florida if you haven't left already.  

My mate J's gonna be standing in the middle of it all wanting a refund cuz the windproof on his zippo is found to be a fuckin lie :lol:

Nah, be safe folks!  I know whatshisface is in Florida, yknow the one, cool bloke, likes good tunes...you know what, i cant fu...Dan H, thats it!

• Haha 2

Wishing everyone safety. Forum members are in my thoughts.  Also thinking about homeless and infirm.  Take care of one another.

Western nations that have colonial holdings or had colonial holdings in the Caribbean better step up for relief efforts in a big way.  I know Canada ha a naval vessel on the ready if help is requested.  International community has to do much better then the Haitian relief efforts.

I heard on the news that if the eye of the storm runs up the middle of Florida it would be better than if it stayed off one of the coasts.  Hurricanes apparently dissipate faster if the eye of the storm is over land than over water.  The worst case scenario is if the eye moves west into the Gulf of Mexico and then rips east over Florida.  

And please, more than anything, stop listening to this guy:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/09/06/rush-limbaughs-dangerous-suggestion-that-hurricane-irma-is-fake-news/?utm_term=.e53dec94964f

There is an island off the coast of Georgia that was hit last year during hurricane Matthew, but did not receive much damage. It is full of wildlife, including a huge population of beautiful wild horses, the island can only be visited by boat and no one lives on it other than a few caretakers. I hope it is spared during Irma, I worry about those horses. (Don't  get me wrong, I am very concerned about everyone in the path of this storm, it just bothers me that these horses cannot evacuate and have no shelter during the storm).

Here is a notice from their facebook page saying all visitors had to leave by yesterday afternoon and the national park will remain closed until after the storm.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1553784128012490&id=106737316050519

Edited by BlueJean Baby
Added to it
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

My mate J's gonna be standing in the middle of it all wanting a refund cuz the windproof on his zippo is found to be a fuckin lie :lol:

Don't jinx my smoke man! I told you, there hasn't been a hurricane yet that stopped me :lol: I will include all this in my video I film for you :lol:

3 hours ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Today they are forecasting the storm to head inland after it makes landfall and coming toward me in Atlanta 😣  Will probably be just thunderstorms and high winds here, but my mom is panicking already. 😝

Hopefully by the time it gets to you it will be died down for the most part. I was hoping it would stay off the coast and stay out over the ocean but that's not looking likely. Florida and especially Miami are gonna get crushed. I hate it for them it's gonna be bad. But you never know, I've seen 'em shift at the last minute so maybe it will still miss everybody. Last year they said the whole time that Matthew was going to make a turn back out to the ocean but it never did and nailed us head on.

3 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Hopefully by the time it gets to you it will be died down for the most part. I was hoping it would stay off the coast and stay out over the ocean but that's not looking likely. Florida and especially Miami are gonna get crushed. I hate it for them it's gonna be bad. But you never know, I've seen 'em shift at the last minute so maybe it will still miss everybody. Last year they said the whole time that Matthew was going to make a turn back out to the ocean but it never did and nailed us head on.

I lived through two hurricanes that came inland when I was in Richmond, VA. Not fun at all. My car ended up flooded up to the dashboard when a cop told my ex he had to drive through a flooded intersection on his way to pick me up at work. :blink:  He managed to get it restarted and picked me up 12 hours later, I was the only person left in the office park where I worked, no power and there were waves in the flooded parking lot.😛

I am much farther away from the coast in Atlanta, but the local news is not sounding great tonight for Monday night here and I have to be at work early on Tuesday. 😣 Just heard Irma is going to be a cat 5 again when it hits Florida.😨

This looks like a special storm, seismometers don't normally detect hurricanes and the meteorological measurements have indicated that its destructive potential at least in terms of energy being released is greater than that of any other recorded hurricane. My thoughts are with all the communities in its path, especially with Category 4 Hurricane Jose, no mean storm under normal circumstances following in its wake.

I've always thought it was kind of crazy to live in places like Florida and California considering the potential for natural disasters.  But it's been interesting to read up on how Florida was never really suited for large settlements and that it's only through engineering miracles that as many people live there today.  Here's an interesting, but brief, history on how Florida was converted from a backward swamp country to the fourth most populated state in the country:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/09/08/hurricane-irma-florida-215586

It seems as though with mother nature, the bill always comes.  

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Well they're equally fuckin stupid.

Not so much in that by voting for Trump they've basically voted for no action to prevent climate change. Like the pastor who recently said that hurricanes were god's wrath against gays and promptly had his house washed away in the floods. Some people kinda have it coming. :shrugs:

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

Not so much in that by voting for Trump they've basically voted for no action to prevent climate change. Like the pastor who recently said that hurricanes were god's wrath against gays and promptly had his house washed away in the floods. Some people kinda have it coming. :shrugs:

I love you McLeod but noooooo they don't :lol:

Just now, Len Cnut said:

I love you McLeod but noooooo they don't :lol:

If you're living somewhere that is particularly vulnerable to the effects of man made climate change and you vote a guy into power who basically ran his campaign saying it's a hoax invented by the Chinese then yes, you kinda do. :lol:

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

If you're living somewhere that is particularly vulnerable to the effects of man made climate change and you vote a guy into power who basically ran his campaign saying it's a hoax invented by the Chinese then yes, you kinda do. :lol:

Christopher, seriously, no you don't :lol:  You're seriously losing your chill as you get older y'know :lol:  I get your point and everything but we're talking about human life here, it's not like the vote buggered em climate change-wise overnight and made this hurricane happen.

13 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Christopher, seriously, no you don't :lol:  You're seriously losing your chill as you get older y'know :lol:  I get your point and everything but we're talking about human life here, it's not like the vote buggered em climate change-wise overnight and made this hurricane happen.

To put it a different way. Imagine there's been a history of violent man bummings perpetrated? There's loads of evidence of it. Loads of people getting surprise bummed in dark alleys on a regular basis by some miscreant or another.

Now imagine that you have two choices on election day. One is very aware of the arse rape problem and one says it doesn't exist so nothing needs to be done to tackle the issue.

So basically if you vote for the bumplunder denier and subsequently get your rusty bullet wound pummeled you have nobody else to blame but yourself.

The main issue is that it's not just you but everybody else who now has a knackered balloon knot as a result of your negligence. :lol:

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Dazey said:

To put it a different way. Imagine there's been a history of violent man bummings perpetrated? There's loads of evidence of it. Loads of people getting surprise bummed in dark alleys on a regular basis by some miscreant or another.

Now imagine that you have two choices on election day. One is very aware of the arse rape problem and one says it doesn't exist so nothing needs to be done to tackle the issue.

So basically if you vote for the bumplunder denier and subsequently get your rusty bullet wound pummeled you have nobody else to blame but yourself.

The main issue is that it's not just you but everybody else who now has a knackered balloon knot as a result of your negligence. :lol:

That was worthy of Jonathan Swift man, thank you, I completely agree now :lol: