Hurricane Irma

downzy

9 hours ago, Dazey said:

To put it a different way. Imagine there's been a history of violent man bummings perpetrated? There's loads of evidence of it. Loads of people getting surprise bummed in dark alleys on a regular basis by some miscreant or another.

Now imagine that you have two choices on election day. One is very aware of the arse rape problem and one says it doesn't exist so nothing needs to be done to tackle the issue.

So basically if you vote for the bumplunder denier and subsequently get your rusty bullet wound pummeled you have nobody else to blame but yourself.

The main issue is that it's not just you but everybody else who now has a knackered balloon knot as a result of your negligence. :lol:

Where is @PappyTron these days??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mishan said:

But if it was being caused by human-created climate change, wouldn't the US have been pounded by severe hurricanes a lot in the years preceding this year? What makes this year different?

Climate and weather are not the same thing. Weather is controlled by longer-term climate trends but it's an extremely complex system that doesn't respond in a linear fashion to stresses placed upon it by man-made processes. Although the general trend is towards a warmer atmosphere, it's not going to manifest the same way everywhere, some years will be warmer, some years will be cooler, some places will experience net rises in temperature, some individual places will possibly get cooler despite global average temperature increases. This year, the conditions just happen to be right for these three hurricanes to have manifested consecutively. Next year, maybe not, maybe not the year after that either but over the century to come, chances are there will be a larger number of severe storms like this (possibly even more severe than these) than there have been in the time since weather records started.

• GNFNR 1

On 9.9.2017 at 0:00 PM, Dazey said:

To put it a different way. Imagine there's been a history of violent man bummings perpetrated? There's loads of evidence of it. Loads of people getting surprise bummed in dark alleys on a regular basis by some miscreant or another.

Now imagine that you have two choices on election day. One is very aware of the arse rape problem and one says it doesn't exist so nothing needs to be done to tackle the issue.

So basically if you vote for the bumplunder denier and subsequently get your rusty bullet wound pummeled you have nobody else to blame but yourself.

The main issue is that it's not just you but everybody else who now has a knackered balloon knot as a result of your negligence. :lol:

Leave it to the Mancunian Canal Prowler to come it with a sodomic example to illistrate climate change :lol:.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, mishan said:

But if it was being caused by human-created climate change, wouldn't the US have been pounded by severe hurricanes a lot in the years preceding this year? What makes this year different?

There HAS been more hurricanes in the last decades which follows predictions from climate change models:

Adjust_TS_Count.png

Source: https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/global-warming-and-hurricanes/

But because of large annual variation you cannot expect the number of hurricanes hitting the US to follow a linear trend. It will be ups and downs as seen on the graph, some years with many some with few, although the trend curve, shown in green or yellow, clearly shows a signficant increase in extreme weather. As predicted from the models.

Edited by SoulMonster

Well Irma,  now a tropical storm is moving into Georgia. Here in Atlanta, we have had hard rain and a few wind gusts so far, schools and the Marta system (buses and rapid transit train systems) are all closed. They expect 70 mph winds here this evening. We already have tree branches all over the yard 😣

4 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Well Irma,  now a tropical storm is moving into Georgia. Here in Atlanta, we have had hard rain and a few wind gusts so far, schools and the Marta system (buses and rapid transit train systems) are all closed. They expect 70 mph winds here this evening. We already have tree branches all over the yard 😣

Stay dry. And safe.

• Like 1

I have cousins that live in Port Charlotte, Florida. They had to go to a hospital for shelter.

Thank God they are all okay. Not sure how their houses were yet or if they have power? Hope to hear soon and hope there isn't too much damage to their home.

I couldn't believe those weathermen and women standing in the rain and wind reporting what was happening. Crazy.

Our power flickered on and off all day. But the worst thing was all the tree limbs all over the yard. Guess I will be spending my day off Thursday picking all them up.  Still pouring rain and very windy.  Three people died in metro Atlanta, two where trees fell on their cars and one man killed when a tree crashed thru his house.

What city are you in @J Dog ?

Edited by BlueJean Baby

18 hours ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Our power flickered on and off all day. But the worst thing was all the tree limbs all over the yard. Guess I will be spending my day off Thursday picking all them up.  Still pouring rain and very windy.  Three people died in metro Atlanta, two where trees fell on their cars and one man killed when a tree crashed thru his house.

What city are you in @J Dog ?

I'm up over you. I'm halfway between Charleston and Myrtle Beach. We got a pretty good wind storm, I heard there were gusts up to 60, which surprised me since it stayed a good ways off from us. Just knocked the power out for a few hours and a ton of rain. Charleston's flooded out.

Edited by J Dog

Went to work this morning, stayed to tell people we were closed, power is out there still, won't be back on until tomorrow late so they told me not to come in tomorrow. 

Trees and powerlines down up the street from my house, but we still have power. Millions of limbs and clumps of leaves that broke off the trees all over my yard. 😣