09/23/17 - Rio de Janeiro, BR - Rock In Rio Festival

gunsguy

2 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I saw Bon Jovi. His voice is one note. He doesn't go high or low. It's one pitch. The concert was a bore. Most people were on their cell phones and we had $200 seats. And without Richie there was no Wanted Dead or Alive.

Yeah and we still don't know the real story Richie Sambora left and he and Jon were supposed to be so tight. Please.

I saw Bon Jovi and the concert was great. Tons of energy, lots of fun and the fans were into it. Stop with this lying bullshit that fans at Bon Jovi were bored and just using their cell phones as if fans of other bands don't do the same thing during shows. Why are GnR fans so fucking insecure they have to literally make up bullshit. Nobody believes such nonsense because we all know it's just that. Pure nonsense. 

Damn... Yet another RIR failure : p Axl definitely has a curse with that particular place, he always gets there when he's completely washed out.

He's not phoning in or giving zero fuck, he just looks completely exhausted. Coma was fucking terrible, I had to stop watching after that one, too painful to hear him like that. He was clearly disappointed in his own performance and switching his voice constantly, I don't recall seeing him struggling that hard before. He was completely beaten by the song. 

Those are the 2 issues that prevent Axl from giving 100%:

1) they are doing way too much shows.

2) the structure of their show/choice of songs is way too demanding for Axl. With 3 hours / 3 hours and 30 minutes per show, it's incredible they have kept doing this for the last year and a half. But clearly it has taken a toll on Axl. Their songs are extremely complicated to sing. Yet Axl still insists on trying Coma every night, when he ruled it out in the 90's where they only played it like what, 4 times? It's crazy. Even You Could Be Mine, I can recall an interview when he stated regretting ever releasing it because it's impossible to do full justice to the song live.

I understand they are doing 1) for the money, 2) for the show, round and round and round we go! But a lot of people think they are just doing all of this for the money given the poor performance of Axl here.

Axl is ambitious, but he should realize he can't keep this going. It's not the first time this year where he fails vocally.

I'm not judging or pissed off as I didn't expect anything in 2016 and he impressed me both with Gn'R and AC/DC. And I'm not paying to attend all those 2017 shows, great if a lot of people are happy and that the band is making a shitload of money, I'm happy for them.

I just feel Axl could be a bit more reasonable, do less shows, sing less songs per show, throw in some deep cuts now and then, and give a more solid performance overall. It would be more satisfying. I prefer having less and more quality, rather than all this quantity and poor vocal delivery.

I watched the whole Aerosmith performance at RIR 2017... I'm mindblown. I was already mindblown a few years back when I learnt Steven Tyler was over 60 years old and singing that good. And now he's almost 70 and he still has it! The voice, the moves, the attitude, the look, everything. At 69! It's beyond incredible. But see, this guy is doing less shows and sings less songs. He preserved himself. I hope I can attend another of their shows in the upcoming year. He's like 15 years older than Axl but it's like he has time-traveled from the 90's.

Axl should definitely follow Steven Tyler's training and they should tour together. I'm still hoping Axl will train harder than ever before and make a great come back in the years to come. Seeing Tyler being 69 years old, it gives me hope that a 15 years younger Axl can still surprise us anytime soon. He's just being too ambitious right now while still being lazy as fuck with the gym training but he will get the hunger again, I can take bets.

Or at least using all of this newfound cash and take over Taco Bell and McDonald's, then retire to Bora-Bora drinking coconuts all day long while hitting the karaoke at night. Then they will be a lot of rumors, very rare Axl sightings for 20 years and he will make his proper come-back at age 80 and kicking ass again with a full-reunion with the whole AFD line-up in wheelchairs, have a very successful tour, then buying the NASA and head off to Mars where he'll have a huge success with martians, marry a martian girl and send his offspring to Earth who will be the Axl of the future. Great news are coming. CD II Martian Territory coming 2050.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, D.. said:

I'm still hoping Axl will train harder than ever before and make a great come back in the years to come.

Last year was the comeback. Hope you enjoyed it. He sang amazing in AC/DC and pretty great in GNR. He got back together with Slash (and to a lesser extend, Duff on a permanent basis) and played with GNR in stadiums. He did it while he was in AC/DC. 

He will never have that momentum in the public eye, again. I'm glad it happened, it repaired a lot of his public image and now the casual fans can go back to not really caring while remembering he did get back with Slash and nailed AC/DC. Sadly, he can coast from now on. Sure, he may be exhausted, but then as you said- book less shows... cut the set... etc. There was a massive difference in his vocals in between the summer 2016 GNR tour/last ACDC run and the first 2017 GNR shows. He has never reached ACDC or 2016 GNR levels since

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, ericy210 said:

I can’t believe this identical discussion about Axl happens over and over- there is a thread for that.

i find it endlessly amusing how people think they know Axl’s motivations.  Are you mind readers?

i think part of this is that people think they know Axl’s psychology.  They’ve known him for years, he has had ups and downs, he has talked about a troubled past.  

Now people play armchair psychologist.  Or armchair record company executive.  Or vocal coach.  Or concert promoter.

take what you like from GNR- past, present, or future- and leave the rest.  And live a fulfilled life.  Your world shouldn’t revolve around Axl

THIS! FINALLY!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Saying all that doesn't mean you are a hater or getting worked up over nothing/being dramatic. These are just cop-out arguments from diehards trying to save face. Look at it for what it is - there was barely any energy for the Rio show. There was more passion even in the Texas shows that closed out the NA leg. Those texas shows were not perfect but they were respectable for a band of this stature. Rio? Not even close.

I was at that very last TX show in San Antonio and their energy was through the fuckin roof. They put on an amazing show, Axl like I said in my review was so smiley and happy waving all over the place to fans many times, all the guys were feeling it, and they all sounded pretty damn good. I said this in the women's thread but it's too bad that show was not pro shot!!!! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Saying all that doesn't mean you are a hater or getting worked up over nothing/being dramatic. These are just cop-out arguments from diehards trying to save face. Look at it for what it is - there was barely any energy for the Rio show. There was more passion even in the Texas shows that closed out the NA leg. Those texas shows were not perfect but they were respectable for a band of this stature. Rio? Not even close.

Can confirm this about the San Antonio show. Might be a bit biased because I was in the pit for the first time ever for any concert and Axl waved at me twice, but I could see it in their faces, especially Axl, that they were truly having a blast. I also attended the phenomenal Houston show in 2016, and although he undoubtedly sounded better there, I didn't feel that he or anyone in the band slouched at all in San Antonio. 

2 hours ago, ericy210 said:

I can’t believe this identical discussion about Axl happens over and over- there is a thread for that.

i find it endlessly amusing how people think they know Axl’s motivations.  Are you mind readers?

i think part of this is that people think they know Axl’s psychology.  They’ve known him for years, he has had ups and downs, he has talked about a troubled past.  

Now people play armchair psychologist.  Or armchair record company executive.  Or vocal coach.  Or concert promoter.

take what you like from GNR- past, present, or future- and leave the rest.  And live a fulfilled life.  Your world shouldn’t revolve around Axl

Please, don’t do it again!! Are you trying to take all the fun of our ciberfans lifestyle? Shame on you!!! Be over dramatic and to walk in circles is cool over here..Learn that!:P

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Flicking through this show, I do not see what is wrong with Slash. I have no problems with his improvisation on Estranged. It is Slash. That is what he does, improvise around the studio solos, adding additional stuff to heighten emotion and create interesting surprises. That is the style I recognise from the '80s and early '90s and it is what he does with his solo stuff. Axl? Well it is painful. Painful viewing. Like watching Ali against Larry Holmes. Car crash television. He seems to recognise he is struggling as he switches into a quasi-ironic 'talking voice' on the Coma outro for two sections. Coma was horrendous. Abysmal. Some of the time he is just giving up and missing words and rendering lines incomprehensible.

He just appeared to be going through the motions - like he was bored and wanted to be somewhere else. There was some surprisingly sloppy work during SCOM and Estranged. People are bagging on Axl here (and rightfully so), but I think the band as a whole (aside from Dizzy and Melissa) were just totally off the mark. No chemistry or energy at all imho. Where is the spark? Say what you will about the 2002 band but even despite the sloppiness of their shows, that lineup had some fire in them - I still don't really see that with this current lineup. These guys all still appear to be paycheck warriors from what I can see with these bootlegs. No synergy whatsoever.

At least with the earlier shows prior to Rio, they were doing their best to play the fuck out of the songs but with Rio, it appears like they couldn't even be arsed to do that. I remember last year's South America shows being rather underwhelming as well from the bootlegs - maybe they just coast in SA because the fans there are GnR diehards who will overlook anything...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bono said:

LOL after all these year you comment "it's just a concert" Riiiiiiiiiiight. :lol: Live in your La La Land all you want. Pretend people like me are angry and not simply pointing out what is.  Dude the reality, even if people like you choose to wear blinders is this band doesn't give a flying fuck about it's fans one bit and their reason for existing right now it so squeeze every last dollar from it's dying fanbase. It's hilarious watching people like you get up in arms over people like me simply calling a spade a spade. Carry on though. 

My point was not that people are wrong in their assessment of the show -- it was a bad show -- but that treating it as if it is the end of the world is a tad too much; after all, it is "just a concert" and it shouldn't exactly come as a surprise to anyone.

Did you get it now?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Where is the spark? Say what you will about the 2002 band but even despite the sloppiness of their shows, that lineup had some fire in them - I still don't really see that with this current lineup. These guys all still appear to be paycheck warriors from what I can see with these bootlegs. No synergy whatsoever.

Mainly because they had to proof something for their first real tour. They had to step in big footsteps and didn't want to fail. That attitude simply wasn't there during the later years.

Edited by Sosso

20 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Mainly because they had to proof something for their first real tour. They had to step in big footsteps and didn't want to fail. That attitute simply wasn't there during the later years.

I guess we'll never know since Bucket didn't stick around and they lost Robin/Brain soon after. 

I'm starting to agree with guys like @Tom-Ass - I don't think this current lineup has any real band cohesion. Rio may have been a bad show but I think it sort of exposes what was apparent all along - that these guys are really good professional musicians who are doing their best to overcome a lack of chemistry. Old guns had bad shows too but they still felt like a band. This lineup doesn't feel like a band to me. 

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

17 minutes ago, RONIN said:

He just appeared to be going through the motions - like he was bored and wanted to be somewhere else. There was some surprisingly sloppy work during SCOM and Estranged. People are bagging on Axl here (and rightfully so), but I think the band as a whole (aside from Dizzy and Melissa) were just totally off the mark. No chemistry or energy at all imho. Where is the spark? Say what you will about the 2002 band but even despite the sloppiness of their shows, that lineup had some fire in them - I still don't really see that with this current lineup. These guys all still appear to be paycheck warriors from what I can see with these bootlegs. No synergy whatsoever.

At least with the earlier shows prior to Rio, they were doing their best to play the fuck out of the songs but with Rio, it appears like they couldn't even be arsed to do that. I remember last year's South America shows being rather underwhelming as well from the bootlegs - maybe they just coast in SA because the fans there are GnR diehards who will overlook anything...

I thought he was fine, Slash, personally. I listened to that second 'Estranged' solo and I liked the direction he went. He also seemed into it by his physical activity; he did pogo stick jumps during 'Coma' for instance as well as his other 'shapes', the vertically lifted guitar, etc. 

Rose was absolutely atrocious. Have you heard that outro to 'Coma'? It sounded like a pig being drowned. If he was not surrounded by 'yes' men, somebody would say something.

15 hours ago, LovelessNL said:

Have they really released 'quality' stuff that ALSO sold fairly well since 2007? I mean its obviously still more than Guns releases, but I dont really think a lot of people will turn up to a Bon Jovi show (especially a festival) to hear the new album from A-Z. Those people want to hear You Give Love a Bad Name, Someday I'll be Saturday Night, Always, etc. etc.

Not a JBJ fan but I don't why he doesn't get back to that sort of lyrics and music pre 91. Always thought since 95 the band has become to "country rock" and has stayed that way. Unfortunately that sort of music breeds other artists such as keith urban :vomit:

16 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Some of my pics on http://www.instagram.com/patricks7705 Like if you like. Might post some more later on.

Will you be posting a review too? :) Looked at your profile to see if you had, but couldn't find any. I get bored with reading all the same endless whining in this thread, so I don't bother with it anymore, but I would love a review from someone who was there.

I saw you're going to SP tonight. Have fun!

16 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Rose was absolutely atrocious. Have you heard that outro to 'Coma'? It sounded like a pig being drowned. If he was not surrounded by 'yes' men, somebody would say something.

I cringed during the outro for Coma. I rarely sympathize with the redhead, but I felt bad for Axl there. That was 2011 territory really. Anyone who is a fan should be disturbed by that performance. The mind boggles at how exactly he's going to complete the rest of the tour with his vocals in this kind of state.