09/26/17 -Sao Paulo, BR - Allianz Parque

gunsguy

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

Slash, Robin and Buckethead are the best lead guitarists GN'R ever had. They just have this star appeal that @RONIN mentioned at the Rock in Rio thread

I like the three of them too. I didn't like the way Robin played Slash's solos but the ones he wrote for CD are brilliant. Now everytime someone complains about Slash's This I Love solo, I can't help but think he's returning the favor :lol:

I miss Brain, wish he never left the band so I didn't even had to know that Frank exists.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, BorderlineCrazy said:

I like the three of them too. I didn't like the way Robin played Slash's solos but the ones he wrote for CD are brilliant. Now everytime someone complains about Slash's This I Love solo, I can't help but think he's returning the favor :lol:

I miss Brain, wish he never left the band so I didn't even had to know that Frank exists.

I miss him too. Just compare Rocket Queen from 2002 with 2017. Two totally different qualities

Honestly we don't need a pro shot from this current incarnation of the band. It's going to sound flawed like the Vegas nu-guns DVD. Much better but still not Guns N' Roses. Hopefully one day there will be more of a legitimate GN'R reunion and DVD to boot and we can all live happily ever after. Maybe even some new music 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Honestly we don't need a pro shot from this current incarnation of the band. It's going to sound flawed like the Vegas nu-guns DVD. Much better but still not Guns N' Roses. Hopefully one day there will be more of a legitimate GN'R reunion and DVD to boot and we can all live happily ever after. Maybe even some new music 

"We" it´s too much people, buddy..So, you wrong! And yes, it´s Guns N´Roses.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

All the press vehicles who crushed Axl after Rio say he redeemed himself yesterday. Unanimous compliments across the board, but all of them are puzzled regarding what could have happening to make him suck that bad saturday.

Watched some videos and it sounds acceptable and much better than Rio, but still a far cry from 2016. 

Maybe he was sick?  All I watched from RIR was Jungle and it was worse than any version I've heard on this tour either in person or recorded.  It wasn't just the sound of his voice, he also seemed to be out of breath.  It sounded like he cut short the extended "wail" after the "when you're high you never, ever want to come down...." part that he always walks over to stage left to sing.  It was like he ran out of breath.

5 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Might be the reason they've blocked live streams in the past. Can't mask the way they sound.

So now the question is are we getting 100% authenticity at all the shows or are the flaws being masked and to what extent?

i guess I wouldn't hold it against them if they were because Axl just isn't capable anymore

but how do you explain his greatness in AC/DC? Didn't they participate in a live stream?

Bottomline is Axl just isn't going to give guns his all. He did in the beginning because he had something to prove. Now he's either bored, lazy, trying to prolong his career or all of the above 

All of the above but in same ways the lazy one is just habit rather...He's moving more on stage. running more and do a lot of the old mannerisms etc - compared to earlier in the tour...
I don't think he's, to the popular phrase "phoning it in", obviously some performances are more committed than others but he's definitely been enjoying most shows and giving it 100% !
I notice from July onwards, a year a half on the road, he started to add more physical energy to the performances, go back and compare if you disagree...
The habit debate is more the problem than out and out laziness...Axl just doesn't believe in rehearsal or taking his free time up to make things better...Cause he's kinda

never done that, has he ! Ego, self confidence, whatever, gets in the way of him improving, I feel....
He's definitely showing up, going on time, which knowing Axl, takes a certain effort in it's own right...He's special, remember ;)

i can look past Axl's voice. it's not his fault his voice ages. obviously, stamina and range lessens with age.

i can't excuse his lack of enthusiasm though.

Now look, when i think of "world class performer" i think of freddie mercury and Axl, in that sequence. Axl is a mythical, legendary frontman.

These days, his stage presence is a bit "off". I'll try to explain.

In his younger days, his appeal came from his dangerous act. like a wild animal letting loose of his cage. it was fundamental to his act. Even his speaking voice sounded menacing. I dont think i have ever heard a more menacing speaking voice than his. But damn, have you heard an axl interview lately? What's up with this funny / stand up comedian voice? what's up with the wise-cracking jokes and laughs? Axl used to be dangerous, even in interviews. I remember some journalist asking him about steven, and just the look on Axl's face was destroying the interviewer's confidence. These days, he's more of a standup comedian, cracking jokes that aren't funny actually. that david letterman interview. Notice how the crowd politely laughed with everything he said? it was cringeworthy.

..... it translates to his behaviour on stage. All smiles and standup-comedian attire. I'm glad when he's looking pissed off some of the times. sadly, these moments are few and far between. i miss those moments.

axl is obsessed with re-inventing everything, i guess. re-inventing guns n roses, re-inventing himself. "people will say, it doesnt sound like guns n roses, it doesnt sound like Axl rose": this means he is aware of the change in his performance. worse, that he thinks this change is beneficial. it is not. it is boring and uninteresting. I have enough boring uncles at family meetings, i dont want on in my guns n roses concerts.

lemmy was badass even when he could hardly stand anymore. steven tyler has kept his act together. Mick jagger, he does what he can. now you may say these people are old and a charicature of themselves. but i rather have an avatar of old legends live on stage, than re-invented but uninteresting and worse versions of old legends.

Axl; please grow back your hair. It doesnt matter how. Look at steve tyler for inspiration. loose weight, change the damn stage outfit to a modern take on your legendary costumes (ditch the black t shirts and ridiculous hats. go for the white theme like the old days). and for fucks sake: if you cant sing normal, then at least talk like you used to. show a minimum of whatever it is that the fans love about you. if all of that isn't possible for whatever reason... what is the fucking point continuing?

Edited by action
  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

14 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

Well this has been a very confusing couple of days. First people acted like Rio was the end of GNR, even though Axl sounded exactly like he's sounded all year long.

Now people are saying that Axl has redeemed himself and Welcome To The Jungle sounds as good as it did in 2016, even though Axl still sounds exactly like he's sounded all year long. There's pretty much no difference between this and Rio and people act like this is some kind of a come back from Axl. 

Even Welcome To The Jungle sounds pretty much the same. Yes, even in Rio Axl sounded mostly raspy in WTTJ . This Sao Paolo version of WTTJ has occasional clean vocals just like the Rio version did. There's barely any difference between them and people act like they're as different as night and day. The only difference is that Rio was pro shot and the clean vocals were a lot more noticeable because of the good quality. Now people are listening to bad quality cell phone recordings and they notice some rasp here and there and they go apeshit because of that. It's like they don't even notice that the clean vocals are still there. Just like in Rio Axl sounds occasionally raspy and occasionally clean. There's no difference. 

Finally some sense here. Axl sounded exactly like in Rio, it's just that through cellphone audience recordings everything is a little more distorted (if that is the correct word) and his singing is mixed with the audience singing along and screaming.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

I enjoyed that vegas bluray over the rio stream

45 minutes ago, Harry Sunrise said:

Finally some sense here. Axl sounded exactly like in Rio, it's just that through cellphone audience recordings everything is a little more distorted (if that is the correct word) and his singing is mixed with the audience singing along and screaming.

Beside the sound of recording device, he looks stronger, holding note longer, singing better, you can't deny that. 

• GNFNR 1

lol@people saying Axl sounded the same as in Rio and've been sounding that way since the reunion started. You guys clearly have some hearing issues, right?

And wasnt just Axl, Slash was sounding weird and sheredding and doddling more than usual... Totally soulless, even Richard that usually acts like a hyperative kid was weird in Rio. Axl and Medina had some issues in the past RiR that made Medina say Guns N' Roses was never going to perform at RiR again... What comes to my mind is that something happened and it affected bands spirit. Cause it wasnt just Axl.

He wasnt perfect in São Paulo, but he certainly have tried, he sounded good for the today Axl and presented a solid performance. The only song that he usually sounds great and didnt in São Paulo was This I Love, for the rest, he sounded great for the 55 years old Axl standard except for the ones that he sucks every night like Yesterdays, YCBM and PC.

Coma was standard reunion Axl, Jungle was a little better than the usual, Nightrain and I Feel Good were phenomenal. The fact that they skipped I Feel Good in Rio and bought it back in São Paulo might say a lot.

He was in great mood and showed, so was the whole band... Very, VERY different from the band that performed in Rio.

As it wasnt my first NITL tour gig I really watched it with a technical eye and perspective, paying attention to the details, the voice, the solos, the jams... And it was like day and night, a extremely superior performance from the whole band.

Edited by default_
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 3

11 hours ago, action said:

i can look past Axl's voice. it's not his fault his voice ages. obviously, stamina and range lessens with age.

noooo. Take a look at how he sings I Feel Good. Or any of the ACDC shows really. His voice still sounds the same, if it had aged he wouldn't be able to replicate that ever. He lost no range, he sang Hells Bells in the original key last year! But he did it last year and still does all throughout that one cover song, probably because he does care about that song since it's fun for him to do. Making this clean voice on YCBM etc very fucking stupid. Either he really doesn't give a fuck about those songs anymore or he legit thinks the falsetto sounds good.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1