If Slash goes back to SMKC after the tour..

3 hours ago, moreblack said:

That being said, at the end of the massive stadium UYI tour, the first thing he did is form a blues rock band to play clubs. And then a smaller blues covers band to play even smaller clubs. It is not uncharted territory for him to scale it down after a massive tour. Not to mention he's already developed a 3 disc solo discography to draw from. Nobody would work that hard for that long developing that much material and then completely forget about it. 

While, you are correct about Slash wanting to get "back to his roots" during the Snakepit days, I think you are forgetting a couple of MAJOR points. For one, at that time, Guns climb was legendary, and fast. Before they knew it they were playing in front of 100,000's of people. So, at that time, getting back to his roots probably felt great.

For two, With the exception of VR, Slash hasn't returned to being a big draw since. So you could argue that Slash has been stuck in "Snakepit" mode ever since. I bet it probably feels GREAT to being back on top after not being there for so long. Why go back to playing smaller venues so soon???

As for everybody else's comments... I agree with the poster that said "it's really on Axl and ACDC." I think this is the key ingredient. If Axl does Acdc next year, then I could totally see Slash doing another solo record. But that's not really because he "wants" to. I reject this claim that Slash can't wait to go do another Conspiritors album, not when SO MUCH more is in a potential Guns album.

20 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

While, you are correct about Slash wanting to get "back to his roots" during the Snakepit days, I think you are forgetting a couple of MAJOR points. For one, at that time, Guns climb was legendary, and fast. Before they knew it they were playing in front of 100,000's of people. So, at that time, getting back to his roots probably felt great.

For two, With the exception of VR, Slash hasn't returned to being a big draw since. So you could argue that Slash has been stuck in "Snakepit" mode ever since. I bet it probably feels GREAT to being back on top after not being there for so long. Why go back to playing smaller venues so soon???

As for everybody else's comments... I agree with the poster that said "it's really on Axl and ACDC." I think this is the key ingredient. If Axl does Acdc next year, then I could totally see Slash doing another solo record. But that's not really because he "wants" to. I reject this claim that Slash can't wait to go do another Conspiritors album, not when SO MUCH more is in a potential Guns album.

I think we all agree on this point. As long as GNR is running, we won't have another Slash album. That's for sure but that's not the point IMO.

If/when GNR take a break then he will do some solo stuff again. Will he do it just for the money? I don't think so. He loves touring and he needs to produce records so he can go on tour. I don't think he has a problem with touring clubs again on his own. He has to stay busy for his drug addiction alone. If he had to choose between Guns and solo I'm sure he'd choose Guns but as long Guns isn't doing anything he's fine with touring smaller venues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kula2006 said:

I rember the crowd in vienna (also 10.000+) just sang along to the gnr classic and didn't even know slash solo songs - reminded me a lot of nuGNR playing CD songs

And they'll probably do the same with whatever new songs GNR comes out with. Most ppl will sit on their hands waiting for SCOM or Jungle to come on.

36 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I think we all agree on this point. As long as GNR is running, we won't have another Slash album. That's for sure but that's not the point IMO.

If/when GNR take a break then he will do some solo stuff again. Will he do it just for the money? I don't think so. He loves touring and he needs to produce records so he can go on tour. I don't think he has a problem with touring clubs again on his own. He has to stay busy for his drug addiction alone. If he had to choose between Guns and solo I'm sure he'd choose Guns but as long Guns isn't doing anything he's fine with touring smaller venues.

Drug addiction? Are we thinking of the same guy?

23 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Because of the length of time between 1994 and 2008, then the length of time between 2008 and now.

22 hours ago, alfierose said:

The problem I see with a new Guns album is that it will likely be complicated (it shouldn't be that way but past experience tells us it will be :lol:).

Well, I get your point.  I still wouldn't be so sure.  There's no precedent for the circumstance that Axl, Slash and Duff find themselves in today.  

They're in unchartered territory so I find it hard to judge them on what they might do based purely on what they used to do (or not do in Axl's case). :lol: Events, relationships and scenarios of the past might have very little bearing on the here and now (as Izzy and Adler's absence seems to suggest).  Axl pulling off the AC/DC gig was unexpected.  This reunion was unexpected.  That it's gone smoothly and has lasted the distance up to now was unexpected.  I could be wrong, but the Axl singing I Feel Good and starting on time and looking in the best shape he has for years might not be occupying the same headspace as the Axl who was creatively paralysed in the last decade.  

As for Slash, I don't see why he can't do both Guns and SMKC.  It's not impossible.  Axl has shown that he can juggle a doubled workload when he's up for it (who would have thought?).  I can see Slash and Duff doing their own thing as well as Guns.

21 hours ago, RONIN said:

I think the classic band is frozen in time. By releasing new music, that part of the story could get rewritten if they put out something bad. If they release something great though, it would really solidify their legacy as one of the all time great bands. 

The other potential issue is what to do with the Chinese Democracy backlog. How do Duff and Slash organically insert themselves into all of that completed material? What do they do with the Buckethead compositions which are integral to the sound of those songs? What do they do with the Finck compositions which are of admittedly lesser importance? Can Axl get over his emotional ties to the Chinese material and let go enough to let Duff and Slash overhaul them? Should chinese material be released separately without input from Duff and Slash?Should they pick up where they left off with the jam tapes from 1996? Should they start over with a clean slate?

There's a potential minefield for them to consider. More importantly - Axl has a very finite timeline as a singer. They don't have much time to put out music when his voice is degrading quickly with age and excessive touring. AC/DC will also have to be dealt with, even before a new GNR record can be considered.

With NITL, the band has been re-established and they've made a lot of money. They can continue to just use GnR as a legacy act and make millions that way. None of this looks promising for new music prospects. There isn't any reason to push forward further unless they're really inspired creatively.

The classic band is frozen in time is a great way of putting it.

That band will never exist again, even if by some miracle, the original 5 get back together, because they are not the same people they were 30 years ago, the dynamics and motivating factors won't be the same.  They may be better, or worse, but not the same.  Here's food for thought: what if the original 5 get back together and it's shit?  Negotiations so far have not boded well for them getting along all 5 of them.  What if they argue and bicker over creative differences?  What if one or more of them falls off the wagon?  What if they make really bad music together, even with Izzy, because they just don't gel anymore, the musical connection isn't there?

The current line-up might produce something because they do gel (regardless of what we think of Frank's drumming) and they've got the touring bond going, and they've been through this reunion journey together.  I'm not saying I don't want to see original AFD reunion; I'm just pointing out that if we're talking about minefields to navigate, that could be the biggest one yet, and is possibly one reason why Axl hasn't gone out of his way to get Izzy and Adler back on board.  Maybe he's not interested in revisiting the past, or the past revisiting him.

So, Axl may decide to do nothing with CD particularly if it's looking like a very complicated relic.  He may no longer have emotional ties to the unreleased CD material - he's got his nod to CD on the NITL tour and maybe that has been enough to get it out of his system.  Based on the new covers he's been choosing, he seems to be in classic rock or country mode (that's a bit scary to me).  Soundcheck jams have sounded Sabbathy.

He may well be inspired to to create something new.  I wouldn't have said this before a few weeks ago.  But the bits of information we've been getting over the past weeks: the soundcheck jams, the new covers, things Axl has said on stage referencing confidence and optimism, joking and clowning around with the band members, Duff talking about how he and Slash actively encouraged Axl to pursue Axl/DC and told him he still had what it took despite Axl not being sure...(this is important).  Small things maybe, but sometimes small things can make all the difference.

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • GNFNR 1

10 minutes ago, moreblack said:

And they'll probably do the same with whatever new songs GNR comes out with. Most ppl will sit on their hands waiting for SCOM or Jungle to come on.

I'm totaly fine with people doing this during the NITL tour for example - you can't reach 50.000+ crowds every 2nd night without these people who are just there for the "hits".

A new Gun'n Roses song written by Axl/Slash/Duff - apart from the quality of the material - would at least get a much better reaction than the CD material, which is still seen by most of the people as Axls Solo stuff and never really got a fair chance from most of the gnr fans

13 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Drug addiction? Are we thinking of the same guy?

A drug addict remains his whole life a drug addict, even if he's clean for years.

From what I've heard and from what I've read Slash needs to be busy to stay away from drugs. Chances to have a relapse are way bigger when he's bored, so he just tries to avoid that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

A drug addict remains his whole life a drug addict, even if he's clean for years.

From what I've heard and from what I've read Slash needs to be busy to stay away from drugs. Chances to have a relapse are way bigger when he's bored, so he just tries to avoid that.

No I 100% agree, just the way you worded it in the OG post made me read it like he'd need the money for drugs. My bad.

3 hours ago, Kula2006 said:

During that time SMKC profited a lot from the fact that NuGNR have been struggeling a lot and Axl also gave some poor performances. During that time the comon understanding has been that this was the closest thing you can get to GnR  - just remember the endless discussions here on this forum who of both singers performed the classics better. Thank god these times are over - Slash solo  will never play in front of such hugh crowds again.

I rember the crowd in vienna (also 10.000+) just sang along to the gnr classic and didn't even know slash solo songs - reminded me a lot of nuGNR playing CD songs

In 2014? People knew Anastasia, Back From Cali, You're a Lie and Slither for sure. WoF was all new at the time, maybe not even 2 months 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Magnus Cavalerra said:

I hope Slash didn't let SMKC cover any GNR tunes again, seeing Mylo singing it was fucking infuriating.

And also it's gonna be very stupid to play it with this mediocre band, when he can play it with the real deal.

I agree GNR songs should stay out of his sets now it makes no sense. But the real deal comes with Frank Melissa and Dizzy (I like Fortus). Frank not being there alone improves the songs so much, but it's still his solo band and he's got tons of albums out that he can play songs from. Slither and Fall To Pieces should be regulars in his set

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I agree GNR songs should stay out of his sets now it makes no sense. But the real deal comes with Frank Melissa and Dizzy (I like Fortus). Frank not being there alone improves the songs so much, but it's still his solo band and he's got tons of albums out that he can play songs from. Slither and Fall To Pieces should be regulars in his set

How tf you don't like Dizzy he was there for like 25, it's already fuckin late if you still hate him.

If GNR made an album and if it's include them, it's your problem if you don't like it, not me.

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Not a big deal to swap Frank and the rest for the Conspirators for a solo tour, those guys are all great rock players. Exactly what Slash's music needs.

2 hours ago, Magnus Cavalerra said:

How tf you don't like Dizzy he was there for like 25, it's already fuckin late if you still hate him.

If GNR made an album and if it's include them, it's your problem if you don't like it, not me.

What troglodyte level of thinking is that? So if GNR put DJ Ashba in the band for 25 years I'm supposed to like him just because of how long it's been? "Oh shit he's been in there for so long now? Ok boys, guess we cant dislike him now!" Great logic. LMAO

And if you'd actually bothered to read what I wrote earlier - which you have not - you would have seen that I wrote thats exactly why it's not a let down to me if they split after this tour, because I prefer this lineup not record an album. Is that so hard to understand? I'll answer for you: no

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

Not a big deal to swap Frank and the rest for the Conspirators for a solo tour, those guys are all great rock players. Exactly what Slash's music needs.

Not sure I get what you're saying, could you elaborate? Frank and the rest swapped for the Conspirators, for a solo tour? Why does anybody need to be swapped for a solo tour? lol

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Not sure I get what you're saying, could you elaborate? Frank and the rest swapped for the Conspirators, for a solo tour? Why does anybody need to be swapped for a solo tour? lol

I meant in terms of the quality of the rhythm section. The Conspirators are great. Somebody called them a mediocre band, implying they didn't have the chops Frank & Co. have. But that's the furthest thing from the truth. I remember fans at the time Slash was touring, saying Kerns and Fitz did that material justice to say the least. 

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

What troglodyte level of thinking is that? So if GNR put DJ Ashba in the band for 25 years I'm supposed to like him just because of how long it's been? "Oh shit he's been in there for so long now? Ok boys, guess we cant dislike him now!" Great logic. LMAO

And if you'd actually bothered to read what I wrote earlier - which you have not - you would have seen that I wrote thats exactly why it's not a let down to me if they split after this tour, because I prefer this lineup not record an album. Is that so hard to understand? I'll answer for you: no

How tf you talking about logic yet comparing Dizzy and Ashba? Comparing Melissa to Ashba it's make sense, but comparing Dizzy to Ashba? Really son? 

But okay tho I'm not gonna argue further with you, with that "flawless" logic you have there. 

In addition to all the trends and habits of Slash pointing to him going on tour with SMKC after NITL and all the news of half finished album and Tremonti's comments etc, etc.  I think it would just be poor form to drop the ball on the band he has waiting for his return.  I dont think mature, sober Slash is into that and I dont think a publicist would advise him to create that bad blood either.

SMKC doesnt really do much for me but, selfishly I hope it happens just so the GNR fanbase will check it out and see a talented drummer playing the GNR tracks (if they are still played which I believe they would be).  Maybe Fitz gets taped for next GNR tour.   

I can dream 

33 minutes ago, soon said:

In addition to all the trends and habits of Slash pointing to him going on tour with SMKC after NITL and all the news of half finished album and Tremonti's comments etc, etc.  I think it would just be poor form to drop the ball on the band he has waiting for his return.  I dont think mature, sober Slash is into that and I dont think a publicist would advise him to create that bad blood either.

SMKC doesnt really do much for me but, selfishly I hope it happens just so the GNR fanbase will check it out and see a talented drummer playing the GNR tracks (if they are still played which I believe they would be).  Maybe Fitz gets taped for next GNR tour.   

I can dream 

Spot on!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sabian11 said:

With all this momentum the biggest mistake would be to go and do other things. Keep the train rolling write some new music! I bet it would be bad ass. 

Agreed...Kiss did it, quite poorly, but they did an album as soon as the reunion was over and went right back on the road with it. Considering their age, that's exactly what Guns should do...only difference hopefully being them releasing a good album! 

Edited by GoBucky

I enjoyed the last three Slash albums - especially the solo album: 'Ghost', 'I Hold On', 'Anastasia', 'Safari Inn', 'Wicked Stones '- these are all terrific A-grade songs. And the great thing is there was one album per year. It was very exciting to be a fan of the man. I'd take the Conspirators over the Not in this Lifetime Tour tedium any day of the week. I actually regret missing out on tickets when they played the 02.

• Like 2