Guns Albums 1995 - 2014

Imagine if axl wasnt so obsessed with his industrial album shit and just laid back a bit and slash's albums turned out to be GNR albums? 

5 oclock - simple rock/ "southern rock" and acoustics

Aint life grand - hard rock with heavy guitars and bits and pieces of piano and experimental

Contraband - Heavy with drop D guitars almost metal like sound

Libertad - Classic rock

Slash - Classic rock/Ballads

Apocalyptic love - Classic rock/Ballads

World on fire - Hard rock

I reckon all these albums could of been wicked Guns albums with Axl ballads thrown in

It's possible that it could've been really cool, but it could've also been wildly mediocre. To be honest, part of the appeal of GNR for me was the mystique that surrounded the band post slash. If they would've kept on, they could've been the biggest/best band of all time, but they also could've got stale and wouldn't be as popular as they are now.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mikeman5150 said:

It's possible that it could've been really cool, but it could've also been wildly mediocre. To be honest, part of the appeal of GNR for me was the mystique that surrounded the band post slash. If they would've kept on, they could've been the biggest/best band of all time, but they also could've got stale and wouldn't be as popular as they are now.

I'm with you in that the mystique kept the band really interesting. Unfortunately, everything from 2006 onwards tainted all that because the fantasy was ruined. They just jumped the shark. Maybe if Axl had continued as an auteur like Trent Reznor and not toured so much with people like DJ Ashba and Bumblefoot, the mystique of the band would still be there.

I dont think they'd get stale, Axl and Slash had so much potential... People tend to say that Five O Clock is mediocre "fuckin southern rock record" just because Axl said that, but that album is a badass hard rock album, had Axl collaborated on it with some of his ideias it would kick some serious ass. 

People undermine Axl and Slash works to praise Izzy, but these guys know their stuff, maybe the commercial sucess wouldnt be as huge as on Illusions tour but who cares? We'd have great music. 

Had the band stayed together, I believe Izzy would get back even if just as composer, as he eventually did in 95 or 96.
Things would be so different and probably so great, its hilarious that people prefer the fuckin "mystic" over any form of actual art. 

Edited by default_
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Having regular releases is way better. Even if they were mediocre there is always the anticipation or hopefulness of a new release. Sure the mystique created appeal and contributed largely to many of spending countless hours chatting on a  message board but at the end of the day I'll take 7 album over chatting on a  message board about an endless number of "What If topics". No offence but those saying the appeal was the mystique aren't being honest with themselves. The appeal was, is and would've been the music. The mystique simply kept us talking. 

• Like 2

I dont give a fuck about those who think average albums would be worse than no albums youre wrong as fuck, any guns album would still be a wicked album and at the end of the day its more MUSIC, you choose if you listen or not but more good music is better than no music at all from a good band

and those slash albums are sick i love them all but with axl and other gnr members? They would go off

I guess some people just love finding anything to sook about

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

4 minutes ago, Bono said:

Having regular releases is way better. Even if they were mediocre there is always the anticipation or hopefulness of a new release. Sure the mystique created appeal and contributed largely to many of spending countless hours chatting on a  message board but at the end of the day I'll take 7 album over chatting on a  message board about an endless number of "What If topics". No offence but those saying the appeal was the mystique aren't being honest with themselves. The appeal was, is and would've been the music. The mystique simply kept us talking. 

Agreed. Only thing I would add to this is given what we know about the last decade of GnR, I wish Axl had continued to just stay off the radar with random one-off shows until the reunion. Would have easily preferred that to the entire 2006-2014 era which just sucked imho. Even the leaked CD demos were better than the final album so CD could also stay unreleased for all I care. At least the band would have remained cool with that elusive mystique intact - we could just keep guessing instead of seeing the disappointment that unfolded in front of us with Fat Axl and Bumblefoot/DJ Ashba. The band's legacy would have largely remained intact had he done that prior to the reunion.

Axl's first plan was to have 3-4 albums stockpiled ready to release and tour in a 2-3 year cycle. In some other alternate universe where robot gorillas rule the world this could have been a very likely scenario. Axl's inability to be proficient is arguably one of the biggest wastes of talent in the entire music industry.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RONIN said:

Agreed. Only thing I would add to this is given what we know about the last decade of GnR, I wish Axl had continued to just stay off the radar with random one-off shows until the reunion. Would have easily preferred that to the entire 2006-2014 era which just sucked imho. Even the leaked CD demos were better than the final album so CD could also stay unreleased for all I care. At least the band would have remained cool with that elusive mystique intact - we could just keep guessing instead of seeing the disappointment that unfolded in front of us with Fat Axl and Bumblefoot/DJ Ashba. The band's legacy would have largely remained intact had he done that prior to the reunion.

I wouldnn't say that the 2006 live era sucked. 7/8 of the 2002 line-up were still around, Izzy had a few guest spots and Axl was on fire. Robin was amazing too.

• Like 1

Just now, Sosso said:

I wouldnn't say that the 2006 live era sucked. 7/8 of the 2002 line-up were still around, Izzy had a few guest spots and Axl was on fire. Robin was amazing too.

Buckethead was the primary draw for me with Nu Guns. Even if the 2002 live era had Axl at his weakest, that version of Nu Guns was really original and full of potential.

In 2006, even though Axl was in great form, I think they lost a tremendous amount of credibility and x-factor by replacing Buckethead. The band itself was less interesting onstage.

I know you agree with me because you love buckethead Sosso! :lol:

Just now, RONIN said:

Buckethead was the primary draw for me with Nu Guns. Even if the 2002 live era had Axl at his weakest, that version of Nu Guns was really original and full of potential.

In 2006, even though Axl was in great form, I think they lost a tremendous amount of credibility and x-factor by replacing Buckethead. The band itself was less interesting onstage.

I know you agree with me because you love buckethead Sosso! :lol:

True :lol:The exit of Buckethead was the first nail to the coffin of nuGN'R. The entry of DJ was the last one. I mainly watch the bootlegs from 2006 because of Axl, Tommy, Robin, Richard and Brain. Bumblefoot was the weakest part of the line-up for sure. It was a similar situation to 1991, when Izzy was replaced by Gilby.

I never quite heard this overt 'southern rock' thing on that first Snakepit - I think this was Duff discussing it in his book, as to the reasons he and Rose rejected it. To me it just sounds like a blues driven hard rock record, which is what you'd expect from Slash.

• Like 3

Imo both Slash and Axl weren't in the right state of mind to make an album in the mid 90s for different reasons each. The musical differences were a symptom, not the cause; and the pressure from the label rather contributed to the imploding instead of giving them motivation.

The musical differences were there before. Slash was never fond of piano ballads, but he worked on them for the Illusions. Then, he didn't want to do ballads. The "southern rock" thing comes from Duff, but I agree that Slash's songs weren't southern rock. I don't think that was the reason Axl disliked them (at least most of them as they were, because he liked some); and, after all, Axl didn't hate country rock - he has even written some songs with that vibe himself, blended with other elements, like Breakdown. Slash said in an interview that Axl hated Jizz Da Pit in particular calling it "redneck music". This is different from southern rock and it has to do with the target audience (or the American audience the songs would mostly appeal to in that era), not the music itself. I think that was Axl's problem and it came from his personal conflicts and the resentment for his hometown and the Midwest in general; that's why he wanted to use Slash's ideas as a basis for something more modern or "urban". This doesn't mean industrial: despite of what is widely believed, I don't think Axl aimed to an industrial driven album in the mid 90s; there is no evidence (or even indication) of that in contemporary interviews.

Edited by Blackstar

5 hours ago, Bono said:

I myself would have like regular releases as well....but....I also go back to another band I like....Metallica.....who has several releases since their biggest selling album "The Black Album," and I can say that with the exception of Garage Days....I have been greatly disappointed each time. You have the "hope" of a great new release, that's only shattered each time when you listen to the full album. 

9 minutes ago, papashaun said:

I myself would have like regular releases as well....but....I also go back to another band I like....Metallica.....who has several releases since their biggest selling album "The Black Album," and I can say that with the exception of Garage Days....I have been greatly disappointed each time. You have the "hope" of a great new release, that's only shattered each time when you listen to the full album. 

You didnt like the albums they've released during the 90's but Fuel, for exemple, was and still is a very popular song in the whole world. Sometimes the stuff is just not our cup of tea, but theres a lot of people enjoying it so theres that. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, papashaun said:

yeah and does that matter though? With no releases there's no hope and no opportunity to enjoy anything. It's like asking a  girl out. Sure she may shoot you down, but she might not. If ya never ask her though she can never say yes. 10 bad albums is better than no albums because at least they're trying and at least there's a chance for you to enjoy something and chances are nobody is ever gonna hate a full album completely so there will always be at least 1  song you enjoy. Plus no matter how many bad albums they release they don't affect the quality of the albums that we already have. 

Edited by Bono
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Imo both Slash and Axl weren't in the right state of mind to make an album in the mid 90s for different reasons each. The musical differences were a symptom, not the cause; and the pressure from the label rather contributed to the imploding instead of giving them motivation.

The musical differences were there before. Slash was never fond of piano ballads, but he worked on them for the Illusions. Then, he didn't want to do ballads. The "southern rock" thing comes from Duff, but I agree that Slash's songs weren't southern rock. I don't think that was the reason Axl disliked them (at least most of them as they were, because he liked some); and, after all, Axl didn't hate country rock - he has even written some songs with that vibe himself, blended with other elements, like Breakdown. Slash said in an interview that Axl hated Jizz Da Pitt in particular calling it "redneck music". This is different from southern rock and it has to do with the target audience (or the American audience the songs would mostly appeal to in that era), not the music itself. I think that was Axl's problem and it came from his personal conflicts and the resentment for his hometown and the Midwest in general; that's why he wanted to use Slash's ideas as a basis for something more modern or "urban". This doesn't mean industrial: despite of what is widely believed, I don't think Axl aimed to an industrial driven album in the mid 90s; there is no evidence (or even indication) of that in contemporary interviews.

But there is. Axl is on record in the mid 90's saying that he wanted to work with Trent Reznor on a potential solo album. Him hiring Sean Beavan to produce Chinese Democracy is also indicative of his interest in industrial music. Mike Patton even mocks the fact that Axl wants to make a more industrial record during the Illusion tour. Gilby has confirmed the industrial direction in his interviews from that time.

There's also Oh My God which is about as Industrial as you can get. And My World. :lol:

Agree with everything else you wrote otherwise.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, default_ said:

You didnt like the albums they've released during the 90's but Fuel, for exemple, was and still is a very popular song in the whole world. Sometimes the stuff is just not our cup of tea, but theres a lot of people enjoying it so theres that. 

That is true......but...it just doesn't feel like the same band at all.....We have the heavy metal band, "Metallica" prior to 1995, that put all their heart and anger into producing great metal.  Then we also have the business that produces so called heavy metal and hard rock music, named "Metallica,"  that arrived when the Load album was dropped. See what I'm saying?