One thing that amazes me the most about AC/DC is the rhythm section

Sosso

I think we all know that the rhythm section is the most important part of AC/DC. Angus himself described his part as "ice on the cake". But there was never any decline in the qualitiy, regardless of the line-up changes. They always sounded like AC/DC.

A few examples:

Malcolm, Mark Evans, Phil Rudd

Malcom, Cliff WIlliams, Phil Rudd:

Malcolm, Cliff WIlliams, Simon Wright:

Stevie, Cliff Williams, Simon Wright:

Malcolm, Cliff WIlliams, Chris Slade:

Stevie, Cliff WIlliams, Phil Rudd:

Stevie, Cliff WIlliams, Chris Slade:

Edited by Sosso

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yip. Rudd and Williams are my sort of rock n' roll rhythm section, a touch of the Watts/Wymans. A groove and not (regarding the drums) big mashers, and they lock in tandem. Stradlin, Adler and Duff had a touch of that also (albeit fleetingly).

The Mark Evans / Phil Rudd and Clff Williams / Phil Rudd combos were the most suitable rhythm sections for AC/DC. But I have to give some credits to Simon Wright and Chris Slade as well. Some may don't like their drum style but they integrated into the rhythm section without much problems. Stevie is even a better example since he learned how to play like Malcolm (without being a copy cat) since the 60's.

Edited by Sosso

• 3 weeks later...

Slade works because even though he plays differently than Phil, his overall style still fits the band like a glove. Similar to how Brian didn't sound like Bon but yet still sounded right for the material. Slade's powerful, precise style is a perfect match for the power of Angus' guitar.

• GNFNR 1

• 1 year later...

Chris Slade has many styles.

"On this day in 1985, I went to see Jaco Pastorius at The Lone Star Café in New York. ⠀⠀

"Jaco was accompanied by a drummer he'd accessed from The Village Voice Musician's Column. Needless to say, this drummer from the small ads was having a bit of a problem keeping up with the powerhouse Jaco Pastorius, who was illustrating the complete textbook to the various approaches of electric bass.

"Jaco invited me up and I had a jam with him but more importantly, Chris Slade, The Firm's drummer also got up to jam, relegating the current drummer to a table in the club.

"After about four numbers, I returned to our table to witness a tremendous synergy and understanding of Jaco's playing from Chris who remained for the rest of the set. That night I got to understand what an experienced and passionate drummer Chris Slade could be.

"And also what a monster of a player Jaco Pastorius was."

Jimmy Page

• 3 weeks later...

I like it all, but Slade and Rudd are nothing alike. The feel is different with Slade than it is with Rudd. Slade drives hard, while Rudd sits back a gently pushes. 

Phil's my preference, but I love Chris Slade especially the live at donnington performance... Which I watched about 1000 times🤣

• 2 weeks later...