New Gilby Clarke Interview: “I was asked to come play as a guest, but it didn’t work out”

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

He is no. 14 on the list of GN'R members with the most live shows :lol: For comparison, Dj got 230 shows.

pardon me but thats a nonsense thing to say

even the rocks on the Grand Canyon know that whatever "shows" happened between 2001-2015 under the name "Guns n Roses" had nothing to do whatsoever with "Guns n Roses"

if you ask me, even the tracy and roberta tour and the threeunion tour are not really GNR but a sad parody of it

id say its somehow "acceptable" that people consider those tours as GNR. but the axl solo years? that's pushing the issue, too much of a stretch

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Sunset Gardner said:

let's not get crazy... because they offered Gilby the chance to come out and play one song does nothing to right the fact they sold out izzy in cold blood over MONEY.   The three remaining members of gnr are greedy pigs.  

whether they replace IZZY with Gilby, bumbleface, chicken bucket, DJ Doucheba, Richard, me, you, my grandmother, YOUR grandmother... it doesn't matter, they are all replacements for the master, they are all hired employees working for their boss axl rose because they'll work cheaper and accept having zero say in the process.  

Izzy was available and willing, had he NOT been then Gilby was the  organic replacement and the gig should've went to him over axl's Yes employee richard. 

If Izzy sold his share of the band for MONEY and then wants the same cut as they guys who own the band without paying back that MONEY, who's the greedy one? 

• Like 4

They all are incredibly greedy people - remarkably greedy really. In fact the only one who isn't is probably Adler who would play for five pence. I would have, as an Izzy fan, preferred it if Stradlin made his objection based around it being ''a shameless cash grab'' say, or ''a greatest hits tour'' and/or ''lacking integrity'' or some other derivative - he would have been the hero of the hour for the disenfranchised such as myself - but his objection was pecuniary. 

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

even the rocks on the Grand Canyon know that whatever "shows" happened between 2001-2015 under the name "Guns n Roses" had nothing to do whatsoever with "Guns n Roses"

if you ask me, even the tracy and roberta tour and the threeunion tour are not really GNR but a sad parody of it

id say its somehow "acceptable" that people consider those tours as GNR. but the axl solo years? that's pushing the issue, too much of a stretch

I had to look twice at that. ''Ehh?'' was my instantaneous reaction, to the ''no. 14 on the list of...members with...most live shows'' before I spotted Ashba's name and said to myself, ''ohh he is including the nugnr circus also?''.

Edited by DieselDaisy

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

Hard to say but I think Duff would have taken a keen interest in the way the band finances were being spent. 

The GnR guys seem to be running a very tight ship. Maybe they learned their lesson after the UYI tour. 

its a smart business decision cuz none of the past members would bring in more money than theyd be willing to play for but it sucks for the fans that wanna see em

1 hour ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

its a smart business decision cuz none of the past members would bring in more money than theyd be willing to play for but it sucks for the fans that wanna see em

Pretty much. I can't slam them for being so greedy because this silly band has left hundreds of millions on the table because of their egos. They probably have missed out on future earnings more than any other band in history. If Dave Grohl is so rich, imagine if Axl and Slash had played their cards properly. 

On the other hand, it's still pretty lame that they couldn't even throw a few bones to Izzy, Gilby and Matt to get some guest appearances. 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

They all are incredibly greedy people - remarkably greedy really. In fact the only one who isn't is probably Adler who would play for five pence. I would have, as an Izzy fan, preferred it if Stradlin made his objection based around it being ''a shameless cash grab'' say, or ''a greatest hits tour'' and/or ''lacking integrity'' or some other derivative - he would have been the hero of the hour for the disenfranchised such as myself - but his objection was pecuniary. 

I had to look twice at that. ''Ehh?'' was my instantaneous reaction, to the ''no. 14 on the list of...members with...most live shows'' before I spotted Ashba's name and said to myself, ''ohh he is including the nugnr circus also?''.

i think the problem for izzy wasnt the money itself, because he is not making any, so if he really wanted the money he would have accepted something, anything, if that was really important to him

i suppose that izzy's issue was the fact that they were downgrading him to a sort of "subpar" member that, automatically, deserves less money

yep, that also made me look twice. i usually consider GNR had (has) 5 members. i can live with dizzy and i can accept and respect anyone that considers him a sixth member. same for matt. that makes seven.

all that came later is a circus to me!

• Like 2

And this is how the great band of Guns N' Roses ended after all: a bunch of greedy old men worrying about how to increase their 50 million fortune to 51 million? What a dreary finale. All of that rebellion and creativity also but it all fizzled out and what we're left with are three Gene Simmons.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 2

They should invite Steven and Gilby for the same show and play Rocket Queen with them. We would finally get one decent performance of that song without Richard and Frank ruining it.

IF Gilby really had other commitments and it wasn't a money problem, we'll see him there eventually. Either later this year or next year or the next one. He'll be part of this never ending tour at some point.

6 hours ago, ludurigan said:

I don't care about everybody's subjective opinions on what Guns N' Roses is and whom of all its band members get the esteemed honor to be included. If they have played uncontested under the GN'R banner and there's a continuity, then I consider it the same band, just like Wikipedia, setlist.fm, music reviewers, magazines, etc, do. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't care about everybody's subjective opinions on what Guns N' Roses is and whom of all its band members get the esteemed honor to be included. If they have played uncontested under the GN'R banner and there's a continuity, then I consider it the same band, just like Wikipedia, setlist.fm, music reviewers, magazines, etc, do. 

No. Please. god. no. Soul Monster...you must resist the urge...:lol:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, RONIN said:

Gilby was extremely busy playing dive bars. Much too busy for guesting on the biggest tour of the past decade.

Maybe he feels better doing that, its his own thing after all. I think Gilby is the only one that has actually moved on with the Guns thing, I think he had enough of it and he better than anyone knows what kind of troubles he might get into by joining them again even if just as a guest.

He must also have some grudge over the way Axl treated him during his years on the band but, even if they've met and recorded together after that. Instead of being a pussy like the others, he just kept doing his stuff and moved on.

Think Gilby is in peace with all this. 

Edited by default_
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, default_ said:

Maybe he feels better doing that, its his own thing after all. I think Gilby is the only one that has actually moved on with the Guns thing, I think he had enough of it and he better than anyone knows what kind of troubles he might get into by joining them again even if just as a guest.

He must also have some grudge over the way Axl treated him during his years on the band but, even if they've met and recorded together after that. Instead of being a pussy like the others, he just kept doing his stuff and moved on.

Think Gilby is in peace with all this. 

Totally. Gilby is a class act. 

Before the final Skin and Bones show which ended the touring for UYI, Gilby reports that Axl came up to him and said "enjoy your last show."  Which Gilby took to be a joke at the time but in hindsight understands it wasnt a joke.

For NITL, Gilby knows he would've added legitimacy to the name GNR that Axl had kinda chipped away at.  He knows we'd all love it and it would feel more like a true Guns reunion.  He said he'd still be up for a real reunion.  

I wonder if his thinking around guesting with a hybrid Nu Guns thing was "Nah, Axl.  I enjoyed my last show.  Remember?"

Edited by soon

Regarding Gilby's other commitments, people forget that for a "working class" guitarist like Gilby, reliability means everything. He plays lots of dive bars and county fairs, but these pay money and rely on the acts they hire being dependable. I'm sure Gilby would have loved to bail out on whatever it is he was doing, and jam with Guns N' Roses, but it would have hurt his reputation if he had to cancel prior obligations to do so. Furthermore, I'm sure Gilby realized the GN'R thing would have been iffy at best. Look what happened to Steven, a classic member, he got to play one or two songs at a couple of shows, had to pay his way to the overseas shows, and did not really get to interact with any of the band. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sunset Gardner said:

let's not get crazy... because they offered Gilby the chance to come out and play one song does nothing to right the fact they sold out izzy in cold blood over MONEY.   The three remaining members of gnr are greedy pigs.  

whether they replace IZZY with Gilby, bumbleface, chicken bucket, DJ Doucheba, Richard, me, you, my grandmother, YOUR grandmother... it doesn't matter, they are all replacements for the master, they are all hired employees working for their boss axl rose because they'll work cheaper and accept having zero say in the process.  

Izzy was available and willing, had he NOT been then Gilby was the  organic replacement and the gig should've went to him over axl's Yes employee richard. 

Totally agree! But Gilby couldn't play Chinese album solos the way they are recorded. Richard does fine job there.

But it should've been Izzy, fuck CD solos... Slash would do great job replacing them with his own!!! 

Edited by Ana_1991

On 9/13/2017 at 1:46 AM, thunderram said:

^^ Since they aren't talking about any of this, nobody really has any idea what's gone on or who they may have asked to participate. This info from Gilby is exhibit A. Here we are nearly 2 years  after the rumors first started swirling about a reunion/regrouping/whatever and we just now are finding out that Gilby was asked to participate.

Yea evidently Gilby has been really busy the past 2yrs!

• Like 1