New Gilby Clarke Interview: “I was asked to come play as a guest, but it didn’t work out”

Just stumbled across this new Gilby interview in which he among other things talk about being asked to play on the NITL Tour as a guest.

In 2017 Slash and Alx Rose re-united Guns N’ Roses for the “Not in This Lifetime” Tour. Gilby Clarke was invited to play as a guest, but unfortunately he couldn’t make it due to other commitments.

“I think it’s great that Slash and Axl are back together. I think together they can write some great music and finish what they started in putting Guns N’ Roses up there with the best bands ever,” Gilby Clarke replied.

“I was asked to come play as a guest, but it didn’t work out,” Gilby Clarke added.

He also talked briefly about when Axl recorded vocals for "Dead Flowers" on "Pawnshop Guitars".

Gilby Clarke didn’t work in the studio with Axl Rose on that particular record ["The Spaghetti Incident?"], but the two finally worked together on his solo record.

“The only time I ever worked with Axl in the studio is when he came and sang and played on my solo record. He was a pro in the studio. He knew what to do and what not to do. I loved what he contributed to the song,” Gilby Clarke disclosed.

You can read the full interview here:

http://theseeker.ca/interview-guns-n-roses-gilby-clarke/27231/

• Thanks 2

^^ Since they aren't talking about any of this, nobody really has any idea what's gone on or who they may have asked to participate. This info from Gilby is exhibit A. Here we are nearly 2 years  after the rumors first started swirling about a reunion/regrouping/whatever and we just now are finding out that Gilby was asked to participate.

Really interesting that most of Guns alumni (pre 93) of the band were asked to guest for the NITL tour. We now know that Gilby, Izzy and Adler were all offered guest spots. Seems only Sorum was excluded for reasons that we don't know (most likely to do with Axl's issues with him). Really makes you think that this tour was probably originally intended as a full on reunion tour but things didn't work out and positions were shifted to what the big 3 thought were best.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

4 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Really interesting that most of Guns alumni (pre 93) of the band were asked to guest for the NITL tour. We now know that Gilby, Izzy and Adler were all offered guest spots. Seems only Sorum was excluded for reasons that we don't know (most likely to do with Axl's issues with him). Really makes you think that this tour was probably originally intended as a full on reunion tour but things didn't work out and positions were shifted to what the big 3 thought were best.

I read somewhere Matt told someone he was asked to guest, but turned it down. I don't know if it's true, but it does seem plausible now we know Gilby has been asked. Matt would be a more obvious guest than Gilby anyway.

Either way it does seem like they wanted to include everyone in some capacity.

1 hour ago, Lio said:

I read somewhere Matt told someone he was asked to guest, but turned it down. I don't know if it's true, but it does seem plausible now we know Gilby has been asked. Matt would be a more obvious guest than Gilby anyway.

Either way it does seem like they wanted to include everyone in some capacity.

Matt was asked by fans on his twitter. He said he was not asked to be part of the reunion. If later on at some point he was asked and he turned it down. We don't know. But I doubt it.

1 minute ago, Padme said:

Matt was asked by fans on his twitter. He said he was not asked to be part of the reunion. If later on at some point he was asked and he turned it down. We don't know. But I doubt it.

Yeah, I'm talking about something that happened just a few weeks ago. I heard someone ran into him and asked him about it and he said they'd asked him to guest but he turned it down. I don't know the person that supposedly talked to Matt about it, so I don't know if it's true, but I'm leaning towards believing it. No reason not to ask him. Axl's had a beef with so many people. But that's just what I'm inclined to believe. Like you say, we don't know until we hear either Matt or someone in the GNR camp talking about it.

1 hour ago, Lio said:

Yeah, I'm talking about something that happened just a few weeks ago. I heard someone ran into him and asked him about it and he said they'd asked him to guest but he turned it down. I don't know the person that supposedly talked to Matt about it, so I don't know if it's true, but I'm leaning towards believing it. No reason not to ask him. Axl's had a beef with so many people. But that's just what I'm inclined to believe. Like you say, we don't know until we hear either Matt or someone in the GNR camp talking about it.

I can confirm that. He said the money was shit.

Reminded me of Gilby's earlier comments, that it wasn't a reunion without him Matt and Izzy.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/gilby-clarke-on-guns-n-roses-not-in-this-lifetime-tour-i-dont-know-if-you-can-really-call-it-a-reunion/

And Gilby saying he couldn't make it might be literally, couldn't afford to travel to play one song for shit pay.  Are he, Izzy and Matt kinda forming a union and collective bargaining?

• Haha 1

Wow. Matt and Gilby were asked? Interesting. And they wanted all these guys to be involved on the cheap? No surprise they all turned it down except Steven. No way would Gilby miss the biggest reunion tour of the last 15 years over "other commitments". How bad does the money have to be for guys like Gilby to turn it down? :lol: Looks like the partners are a bit stingy with splitting the loot. 

Lends more credence to the theory that the touring band is the actual lineup that Axl wanted after all. This is the lineup then that will be involved in any future music. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

How bad does the money have to be for guys like Gilby to turn it down? :lol: Looks like the partners are a bit stingy with splitting the loot. 

Lends more credence to the theory that the touring band is the actual lineup that Axl wanted after all. This is the lineup then that will be involved in any future music. 

I dont really think it was about money. Gilby came to Brazil in... I think was 2010 and I had the chance to show him our Rock N Roll Gallery (Galeria do Rock) cause I was close to the owner of the club he was playing and so he asked me to go with them, Gilby said to me that most of the gigs he was doing that tour he was doin for free, just asking for travel and acomodation, so I dont think its an issue of money for him, maybe he really couldnt/wasnt interested. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Tijuana Jail is a killer track

As is Cure Me or Kill Me.. Lot's of good ones on that album and his work with Slash on IFOS was great as well...

Don't want to argue but I still think this reunion would have been better with Gilby as the second guitarist.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Just read the article.. Pretty cool and might check out his album.. Kenny Arronoff is an amazing drummer. 

That guy seems to be around a lot, he also did the original version of Aint Life Grand with Slash, Duff, Iggy pop and Kravitz back in the 90s. Too bad that never surfaced

And I agree Gilby would add some more authenticity to this "reunion" even if he was not on AFD or UYI

let's not get crazy... because they offered Gilby the chance to come out and play one song does nothing to right the fact they sold out izzy in cold blood over MONEY.   The three remaining members of gnr are greedy pigs.  

whether they replace IZZY with Gilby, bumbleface, chicken bucket, DJ Doucheba, Richard, me, you, my grandmother, YOUR grandmother... it doesn't matter, they are all replacements for the master, they are all hired employees working for their boss axl rose because they'll work cheaper and accept having zero say in the process.  

Izzy was available and willing, had he NOT been then Gilby was the  organic replacement and the gig should've went to him over axl's Yes employee richard. 

• Like 4