New Gilby Clarke Interview: “I was asked to come play as a guest, but it didn’t work out”

5 hours ago, default_ said:

I dont really think it was about money. Gilby came to Brazil in... I think was 2010 and I had the chance to show him our Rock N Roll Gallery (Galeria do Rock) cause I was close to the owner of the club he was playing and so he asked me to go with them, Gilby said to me that most of the gigs he was doing that tour he was doin for free, just asking for travel and acomodation, so I dont think its an issue of money for him, maybe he really couldnt/wasnt interested. 

one thing is to do for free a show that you want to do because you love it and, obviously, because there isnt any other way to do. there are NOT zillion people waiting to see Gilby in Brazil, so doing a tour like that is likely the only way he can do a tour in Brazil

another very different thing (and this is all hypothetical cause i have zero info on the subject) is to be offered shit money to play on a tour that is making zillions of dollars. in that case, a person may find the offer a bit offensive, huh?

7 hours ago, RONIN said:

No way would Gilby miss the biggest reunion tour of the last 15 years over "other commitments". How bad does the money have to be for guys like Gilby to turn it down? :lol:

exactly

• Like 2

"Gilby Clarke was invited to play as a guest, but unfortunately he couldn’t make it due to other commitments."

What other commitments?! This was/is sorta once in a lifetime opportunity. I'd love to see Gilby with GN'R. He seems like a great guy.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

one thing is to do for free a show that you want to do because you love it and, obviously, because there isnt any other way to do. there are NOT zillion people waiting to see Gilby in Brazil, so doing a tour like that is likely the only way he can do a tour in Brazil

another very different thing (and this is all hypothetical cause i have zero info on the subject) is to be offered shit money to play on a tour that is making zillions of dollars. in that case, a person may find the offer a bit offensive, huh?

exactly

Youre right, Im just offering the option that maybe, I said maybe, it really isnt solely about the money but because he didnt want it. 

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

exactly

Well, I doubt they were asked at the height of the tour when it was obvious to everyone it was making millions.  I'm guessing that when these people were asked to participate, it would have been either prior to the tour or right at the beginning, when nobody realised quite how successful it was going to be, how well Guns would be received, now smiley Axl was going to be etc.   Matt, Gilby, et.al must have stipulated a bunch of terms and conditions (including pay) as compensation for what was probably considered at the time, a high risk gig likely to implode and not last beyond 5 shows.  That's what nearly everyone thought when the tour first started.  Bet they're kicking themselves now.  

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle

14 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Really interesting that most of Guns alumni (pre 93) of the band were asked to guest for the NITL tour. We now know that Gilby, Izzy and Adler were all offered guest spots. Seems only Sorum was excluded for reasons that we don't know (most likely to do with Axl's issues with him). Really makes you think that this tour was probably originally intended as a full on reunion tour but things didn't work out and positions were shifted to what the big 3 thought were best.

Well said. 

Too bad it didn't work out, it would have been great to see Gilby in NITL. He'a a nice guy, non-problematic. 

• Like 3

wonder why "it didn't work out" ? they didnt offer him enough cash for the trouble it was worth to fly all the way to brazil to play one song, is the only reason i can think of but for the cash to not be enough it would have to be a really fuckin lowball offer cuz guilby aint exactly selling out his shows atm... woulda been cool to see him play with gnr again though... if we cant have izzy, hes the next best thing... could there be a clause in richards contract that he has dibbs on rhythm otherwise he gets more loot? would explain why they lowballed izzy, if thats what really happened

21 minutes ago, The Real McCoy said:

Love Gilby. Would have loved to have seen him as a guest. He's been nothing short of complimentary to Axl over the years.

Which is why it's surprising he turned down the offer.  

Even in that recent interview he's very positive about his experience working with Axl in the studio, so I can't believe he's turned down the offer because of bad relations with Axl.  I can only imagine that the offer was made to Gilby very early on; possibly he wasn't offered a lot (maybe no-one was sure if the tour was going to make a lot at that stage) and Gilby thought the whole thing would be more trouble than it was worth.  And now it turns out that was a mistake.  Gilby should have taken the offer up, just to get a foot in the door, and then who knows, it may have lead to more appearances and more favourably negotiated terms.  That's my theory anyway.  It's a shame, I liked Gilby.  He had the right kind of vibe for the band at that time, I always thought.

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Which is why it's surprising he turned down the offer.  

Even in that recent interview he's very positive about his experience working with Axl in the studio, so I can't believe he's turned down the offer because of bad relations with Axl.  I can only imagine that the offer was made to Gilby very early on; possibly he wasn't offered a lot (maybe no-one was sure if the tour was going to make a lot at that stage) and Gilby thought the whole thing would be more trouble than it was worth.  And now it turns out that was a mistake.  Gilby should have taken the offer up, just to get a foot in the door, and then who knows, it may have lead to more appearances and more favourably negotiated terms.  That's my theory anyway.  It's a shame, I liked Gilby.  He had the right kind of vibe for the band at that time, I always thought.

As far as I understand the promoters LN made an offer to the the big three / the legal entity GNR to pay 3 million a show?  The risk wasnt on GNRs shoulders.

Edited by soon

8 hours ago, Gackt said:

It's telling how the reason a full reunion on this tour isn't happening is because of money.  Very punk rock.

Hard for many to accept, but that's really what it is at the end of the day.

I imagine they would still be pulling down ungodly sums of cash even if they paid sorum, izzy, and gilby a fair amount. And it would have made for cooler shows.

At least Duff can buy a new yacht now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Matt, Gilby, et.al must have stipulated a bunch of terms and conditions (including pay) as compensation for what was probably considered at the time, a high risk gig likely to implode and not last beyond 5 shows. 

i believe you are very wrong but i have no way to prove it hahahaha

my opinion is that these guys would go play with axl and slash in a heartbeat. if there was an invitation and if they didnt accept it, they must have received a REALLY shit offer

1 minute ago, ludurigan said:

i believe you are very wrong but i have no way to prove it hahahaha

my opinion is that these guys would go play with axl and slash in a heartbeat. if there was an invitation and if they didnt accept it, they must have received a REALLY shit offer

Yeah, I could see Sorum trying to angle for a larger part of the drumming duties and a bigger payday. But Gilby? He would have probably done it for cheap just to play with Slash. 

It makes you wonder just how much did they try to lowball these guys. I would say that I'm a bit surprised by Duff but I suppose since he runs a wealth management company, he's become like the other two. 

I think the big 3 clearly miss the huge success they enjoyed in the early 90's. It's been a very long time since they've seen that kind of money and adulation. Now that they're all older, they're watching the money closely and trying to run a very tight ship without any unnecessary expenditures to make up for all the lost income of the last 25 years and Illusion tour. Steven, Izzy, Gilby, and Matt being included would have made for much cooler shows for the fans - but they figured that people would buy tickets regardless of whether those guys were involved. And they were right. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

if there were any real monetary negociations between izzy/gilby and gnr, i wonder how much axl/slash/duff had to do with them and how much work "management" put into it

Hard to say but I think Duff would have taken a keen interest in the way the band finances were being spent. 

The GnR guys seem to be running a very tight ship. Maybe they learned their lesson after the UYI tour. 

Edited by RONIN