Marc Ford (Black Crowes) was asked by Slash to join GNR, and he plays (uncredited) on Izzy's first solo record

I'm a huuuuuuuge Marc Ford/ Black Crowes fan and I had no idea about this. Pretty cool! 

http://www.laweekly.com/music/the-black-crowes-marc-ford-and-rich-robinson-are-together-again-in-the-magpie-salute-8628286

“Like 10:30 in the morning I get this call: ‘Hey man, this is Slash,’” Ford recalls now. “'We listened to you next door, always loved your guitar. Izzy’s gone, would you play with us?’”

Ford explained he’d just joined the Crowes and politely declined Slash’s invitation, extended after GNR guitarist-songwriter Izzy Stradlin had quit the band. “Of course, I was very flattered,” Ford says, “and my life would be a whole lot different now. I’d probably be dead, to be honest with you. I think it was probably the best decision and Slash agreed. He said, ‘Man, that’s really cool. That’s probably a better fit for you anyway and good luck.’”

Around that time, Ford also played on the solo debut of Izzy Stradlin, the very man Slash asked him to replace in GNR. He added some hot slide guitar to “Somebody Knockin’,” the opening track on 1992's Stones-y Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds. "I walked in right after [Rolling Stones guitarist] Ron Wood had finished doing his guitar part," Ford remembers. "Izzy’s kind of a regular, down-to-earth guy and he just let me do what I wanted to do. It was probably all of about 30 minutes.” The Crowes didn’t want their new guitarist to appear like a hired gun, though, so Ford says, “I just told them to keep my name off it.” He was uncredited in the Ju Ju Hounds liner notes.