ROBIN FINCK SOME QUESTIONS

It was never mentioned if he was indeed doing backup vocals for mr brownstone in the live-era, but it definitely sounds like him. Some debate that it's Izzy or Duff, but the guy on live-era sounds like Finck. 
Paul Tobias was in Sympathy for the devil not Finck. 
As for CD, some songs have just started to grow on me... so let's wait for the CD experts. :lol:

45 minutes ago, themadcaplaughs said:

For what it's worth, I had a chance to speak with an old Geffen A&R guy in 2015 who worked on Guns N' Roses (Jim Barber). He specifically said none of the new (at the time) members were involved with the live album, but I cannot deny it sounds a LOT like Robin Finck. 

It's definitely not izzy or duff. It's gotta be Finck.

Unless it was a rare moment where Slash had to sing backup but why would do choose that version.

Here's a theory, They replaced all of Izzy's background vocals on Live Era for contractual purposes being that he's not in the partnership. It was Axl and Slash who put Live Era together. 

But wait Dust in Bones is on Live Era:wacko:

To my ears it has a very Finck sound.  However imo it would be rather restrained/tame for Fincks performance style.  Im 50/50 on it being Izzy.

Oh, shoot: unless its Finck from the studio re-recording of AFD (which coulda ended up there by accident knowing that era).  I was thinking if it were Finck live it would be more brash, but studio, maybe.... still 50/50

Edited by soon

I used to think that it was Fink who had recorded back ups on the live era version Brownstone as well but when you compare the live era recording to Brownstone from Wembley '91 the back up vocals sound very much alike. Although on live era the back up vocals are a bit higher in the mix.

And if one where to compare the live era recording of Brownstone to a recording with Fink it does sound similar but not as similar as the Wembley version does.

• Like 4

On 9/13/2017 at 0:54 PM, moreblack said:

It's an AFD tour performance of Brownstone, there's no way that's a Robin solo. Doesn't even sound like him.

I thought we were trying to figure out who's doing the background vocals only. I don't think there's any doubt that it's the AFD 5 instrumentally.

Maybe it is a very drunk Izzy singing

On 9/13/2017 at 0:50 PM, soon said:

To my ears it has a very Finck sound.  However imo it would be rather restrained/tame for Fincks performance style.  Im 50/50 on it being Izzy.

Oh, shoot: unless its Finck from the studio re-recording of AFD (which coulda ended up there by accident knowing that era).  I was thinking if it were Finck live it would be more brash, but studio, maybe.... still 50/50

Yea I can see it being a huge studio blunder where they accidentally copy/pasted the wrong backing vocals file. Robins AFD remake over Izzy. or maybe  it was intentional.

As in 98-99 Axls resentment towards Izzy might've been much greater than it was towards Slash and Duff. It was around that time Izzy put out 117 and the song Bleedin' which was about Axl.

Maybe Izzy was nagging him about a reunion and being allowed back into the partnership.

Maybe the fear of splitting the loot with Izzy is one of them main if not the main culprit for dragging out any kind of reunion for so many years. Along with the drugs, Perla and the beef between Axl & Slash

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Yea I can see it being a huge studio blunder where they accidentally copy/pasted the wrong backing vocals file. Robins AFD remake over Izzy. or maybe  it was intentional.

As in 98-99 Axls resentment towards Izzy might've been much greater than it was towards Slash and Duff. It was around that time Izzy put out 117 and the song Bleedin' which was about Axl.

Maybe Izzy was nagging him about a reunion and being allowed back into the partnership.

Maybe the fear of splitting the loot with Izzy is one of them main if not the main culprit for dragging out any kind of reunion for so many years. Along with the drugs, Perla and the beef between Axl & Slash

Didnt know about Bleeding' being about axl.  Seems so clear now that you say it.  cool

On 9/13/2017 at 2:42 PM, youngswedishvinyl said:

I used to think that it was Fink who had recorded back ups on the live era version Brownstone as well but when you compare the live era recording to Brownstone from Wembley '91 the back up vocals sound very much alike. Although on live era the back up vocals are a bit higher in the mix.

And if one where to compare the live era recording of Brownstone to a recording with Fink it does sound similar but not as similar as the Wembley version does.

You are right it is Izzy. When Izzy songs "Mo' & Mo' in his laid back punk way. Robin sings "More & More"

so yea they fucked up as Izzy is too loud and Duff is too low in the mix.

This settles it finally. Thanks for laying it out man!

• Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:24 AM, Oldest Goat said:

Why the fuck do we only have 1 LIVE album...and it's not even LIVE...:facepalm:

Appetite for Democracy

Although that isn't much compensation. We need more AFD5 official live releases, and I'd personally love a 2000-2002 era live album.

51 minutes ago, moreblack said:

A NuGuns live album would probably - especially now - just have people scratching their heads as to why all the known classic songs sound so weird.

I wouldn't say weird. They actually sounded really great with Buckethead, Robin, Tommy and Brain in the line-up. I wonder how Don't Cry, Estranged or Locomotive would've sounded with Bucket on lead guitar.

Edited by Sosso