Do you prefer the studio versions or the live performances?

I would say it really depends on my mood, I think for me the studio material was recorded so well and captures some amazing performances and tones (especially on Appetite and the Illusions) that I tend to gravitate towards listening to them a lot.  However I do love watching footage from the classic era and the past couple of years because there is that live energy which makes everything really awesome. 

Live versions by far! Actually I think that I'm a "live version" addict and not only with GNR but with all the songs/artists that I like. Live performances is life!!!! Studio versions I like to listen to have a reference and figure out some details that can escapes me.

I usually listen to a studio version of a song I like dozens of times until I get burnt of it and then I find live versions (preferably pro shots or different variations such as acoustic) to revitalize some life into the song I originally got sick of :) 

Edited by AxlRoseCDII
  • Like 3

Studio albums are good but I  pretty much only listen to live shows these days...They just have more energy for me and I like hearing the music as the artists perform it live warts and all..... I have also found in the case of some bands they are much better live than their studio albums show.........

The only time I really listen to studio stuff is when I listen to vinyl.......

Just an FYI  there is already a similar thread on this subject..........

http://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/218553-am-i-the-only-person-who-finds-live-albums-a-bit-boring/

As others have said, it depends on a range of factors. What song is it? Is there a live version done of it which is available and of high quality? How does the quality of the studio versions compare with their live counterparts? How do the musicians and singer compare between the different performances and the studio? What mood am i in? Am i in a position to tolerate a poorer quality live capture for something which sounds subjectively better than a polished studio recording? Etc...

• Like 1

For Appetite, I usually listen to Live Era due to the sheer energy it has. Obviously it's not for everyone, but I think Axl's re-recorded vocals exceed the ones recorded for Appetite. 

Chinese and the Illusion stuff, I normally play the studio albums.

The live bootlegs I have of Guns on my iPod are the Osaka show from December 2009, Vegas 09/04/2016 then the Apollo gig.

Mick Taylor era Stones bootlegs and Crazy Horse bootlegs are manna for me. With Guns, when I used to listen to them, I would throw a VHS of the Ritz on but I also listened to Appetite; I did explore the bootlegs; it is the pinnacle of the band, to be found on those 1980s boots.

• GNFNR 1

Studio generally, there's not enough quality recordings of Guns when were really hungry and on fire. I do however really enjoy the Pasedena 87 show i've listened to that recently, it's sounds like the devil has hopped into Axl's voice on that one and Slash is on fire. Even then though on some songs the mix is awful.

Edited by Silverburst80
  • Like 1

On 16/09/2017 at 4:09 AM, Muddy said:

I just got new speakers in my car today and gave Live era a listen , it's a terrible sounding album . Most of Axls vocals were re recorded in the late 90s . 

Not only that, but the crushed mastering and the near constant distorsion are two major weaknesses of the album, too.

On 2017-09-14 at 11:18 AM, Derick said:

Live versions by far! Actually I think that I'm a "live version" addict and not only with GNR but with all the songs/artists that I like. Live performances is life!!!! Studio versions I like to listen to have a reference and figure out some details that can escapes me.

This, I listen to 90% of my music live only... A band is a live band. The studio versions of a song like Double Talkin Jive from say 93 pisses all over the studio version. 

Albums are documents, live shows are where the songs breath. All the great bands have been great live bands. 

On 2017-09-15 at 4:31 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Mick Taylor era Stones bootlegs and Crazy Horse bootlegs are manna for me. With Guns, when I used to listen to them, I would throw a VHS of the Ritz on but I also listened to Appetite; I did explore the bootlegs; it is the pinnacle of the band, to be found on those 1980s boots.

Hell yeah to Taylor and Neil Young boots!! 

I love live music.. Love Live GnR music.. Love my old bootlegs from the classic eras but there aren't many songs these days from this line up that I would rather listen to the live versions.. Some sound good when I am drunk and youtubing but other than that they just don't stand up to the studio or past live versions..

I just scrolled through the setlists and literally the only songs that might compare are LALD and Jungle... There were a few rippin versions of Out Ta Get Me as well..

I will usually go with a live track due to how much better the band's instrumentation sounds live (imo). There is an intensity in Axl's voice that a lot of the studio tracks lack (to that level).  When he's on his A-game, the dude just pours his heart out. Moreover, Slash's solos and live guitar licks are like cotton candy to my ears.