Amazing Marc Canter Interview (2012) - Reunion predictions / Izzy & Steven insight

@RONIN What a find - awesome, thanks! :thumbsup:  

I've only got time to skim read it this morning; actually looking forward to taking my time over this later on, but one thing that jumped out at me: semi-reunion in 96 - Izzy had, what was it, 50 songs?!  And what they played was recorded!  So apart from the stuff that Slash nicked for Snakepit, has Axl got the rest in the vault then?  Would LOVE to hear the demos from those 2 weeks in 96.  Bloody hell Axl...what other gems you got hidden in that vault...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Marc Canter is the man. He seems like a genuine good guy. I really should buy Reckless Road already.

We fucking NEED:
The Perfect Crime documentary and all if not at least the best proshots.
the '96 recordings.
the CDII recordings.
NEW MATERIAL.

Just fucking do it.

Pretty sure we have the '96 recordings... on Izzy's 117 degrees and Slash's Snakepit.

Edited by Kris_1989
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

Has Marc posted here since the reunion?  Is he not allowed to talk about GNR anymore?

Marc hasn't posted here in about a year which is why we decided to archive the section. Whilst I do not know his reasons he did state after the reunion was announced something along the lines of his hopes of seeing Axl and Slash reunited had been realised so there was nothing more for him to say (I'm paraphrasing here based on memory, the post will be in the Canter section).

There is some confusion with the 1994-96 timeline in the interview and it's natural, as Marc recalls the events many years later. It's trivial and doesn't change the essence of what happened, but just to clarify the series of events:

- The Slash Snakepit songs saga with Axl being interested in working only with some of them and Slash recording his solo album took place in '94. In its most part it developed at the same time frame as the Paul Tobias being brought in to "help" and SFTD saga, and those two stories are interrelated. Slash's album was finished by the end of '94 or earlier and released in Feb. '95. Slash went on tour in March. A little before that (early '95) Zakk Wylde was brought in.

- Based on interviews of the period (which are more reliable as far as the timeline goes, since they referred to events of the recent past or happening at the time of the interview) and also according to Izzy himself later, the brief semi-reunion with Izzy took place in '95, not '96.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kris_1989 said:

Pretty sure we have the '96 recordings... on Izzy's 117 degrees and Slash's Snakepit.

Well, Snakepit was released in 95' and seems to have been recorded in 94 (at least the bulk of it).  So Marc was getting his timelines a bit blurred.  And Marcs comments on the 50 songs is really vague and I find confusing.  Did Axl hear the 50 songs, did the rest of the band?  By all other accounts recording did take place in the 96' sessions, so what of those Izzy songs?

Definitely possible for some of 117 to have been from that same tape, but much of it was recorded in 1993 and not released in until 98' as far as I gather.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

There is some confusion with the 1994-96 timeline in the interview and it's natural, as Marc recalls the events many years later. It's trivial and doesn't change the essence of what happened, but just to clarify the series of events:

- The Slash Snakepit songs saga with Axl being interested in working only with some of them and Slash recording his solo album took place in '94. In its most part it developed at the same time frame as the Paul Tobias being brought in to "help" and SFTD saga, and those two stories are interrelated. Slash's album was finished by the end of '94 or earlier and released in Feb. '95. Slash went on tour in March. A little before that (early '95) Zakk Wylde was brought in.

- Based on interviews of the period (which are more reliable as far as the timeline goes, since they referred to events of the recent past or happening at the time of the interview) and also according to Izzy himself later, the brief semi-reunion with Izzy took place in '95, not '96.

As far as I remember Slash wasnt around during the Izzy thing, was he? Wasnt it just Duff and Izzy?

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

He definitely has the Slash timeline mixed up a bit but he's right about the 2 week trial period where Slash briefly came back to work things out with Axl in late '96. We know Izzy and Duff recorded songs together briefly in April of '95 iirc, one of those songs, "Down by the Ocean", was potentially slated for the first tracklist of Chinese Democracy.

It doesn't seem like he's confused on the Izzy timeline - nothing he's saying contradicts the 95 sessions. What Mark seems to be saying here is that Izzy was supposed to come to those final '96 sessions with Duff, Slash and Matt w/ 50 songs he had already put together. Izzy didn't show or before he could show, the sessions fell apart...and/or he sent the tapes to Axl and Axl possibly rejected the material. If Axl heard the material, then it's in his vault along with the Izzy/Duff demos from '95. There are also brief statements from Slash in 1996 (on chinese whispers) where he mentions that they have a bunch of songs ready to go for the next album. 

I think there's definitely something tangible from those final sessions in '96. It would be a shame to not hear that material since it's truly the final "lost" album of classic GnR.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RONIN said:

He definitely has the Slash timeline mixed up a bit but he's right about the 2 week trial period where Slash briefly came back to work things out with Axl in late '96. We know Izzy and Duff recorded songs together briefly in April of '95 iirc, one of those songs, "Down by the Ocean", was potentially slated for the first tracklist of Chinese Democracy.

It doesn't seem like he's confused on the Izzy timeline - nothing he's saying contradicts the 95 sessions. What Mark seems to be saying here is that Izzy was supposed to come to those final '96 sessions with Duff, Slash and Matt w/ 50 songs he had already put together. Izzy didn't show or before he could show, the sessions fell apart...and/or he sent the tapes to Axl and Axl rejected the material. If Axl heard the material, then it's in his vault along with the Izzy/Duff demos from '95. There are also brief statements from Slash from 1996 on chinese whispers where he mentions that they have a bunch of songs ready to go. 

I think there's definitely something tangible from those final sessions in '96. It would be a shame to not hear that material since it's truly the final "lost" album of classic GnR.

Yeah, maybe it was so with the 1996 sessions and Izzy, although no one else has mentioned it.

But there's certainly timeline confusion in what he says right after that about Slash's 12 songs that became the Snakepit album; that happened in '94.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, default_ said:

As far as I remember Slash wasnt around during the Izzy thing, was he? Wasnt it just Duff and Izzy?

Yeah, Slash was on tour then. But it's possible that Izzy was about to come back for a second time in '96, as @RONINpointed out, but didn't happen. What is for certain is that the second guitarist spot was open in '94-96 and in '96 they were even considering to fill it with various guest players for the album.

10 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, Slash was on tour then. But it's possible that Izzy was about to come back for a second time in '96, as @RONINpointed out, but didn't happen. What is for certain is that the second guitarist spot was open in '94-96 and in '96 they were even considering to fill it with various guest players for the album.

There seems to be some rumors/innuendo that Slash and Duff wanted to bring Izzy back into the band but that idea was torpedoed by Axl in favor of having Tobias and as you mentioned, guest players.

It's interesting to consider why Axl would want Tobias in the band over Izzy. Perhaps this is where it starts with Axl stacking the lineup with yes-men to counter Duff and Slash.

22 minutes ago, RONIN said:

It's interesting to consider why Axl would want Tobias in the band over Izzy. Perhaps this is where it starts with Axl stacking the lineup with yes-men to counter Duff and Slash.

Probably because he felt that Paul's songwriting was more suitable for the future of the band than Izzy's. 

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

There seems to be some rumors/innuendo that Slash and Duff wanted to bring Izzy back into the band but that idea was torpedoed by Axl in favor of having Tobias and as you mentioned, guest players.

I think Blackstar offered a plausible explanation for this, something along the lines of Tobias being Izzy-centric in that he was from Indianna, a childhood mate, played a similar style to Izzy (though nowhere near as good) and was easy to get along with (or so he thought), and on that basis might slot into the band relatively drama free.  Except that wasn't the case because Slash was going to hate whoever Axl brought in because, as per usual, Axl didn't go about it very well, failed to communicate his intentions, failed to consult the others etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RONIN said:

I don't know where that rumour comes from, at least for Slash. It doesn't look like it from his 1994-96 interviews. In '94 he was bitter towards Izzy; and in '95-'96, it's not that he wouldn't want Izzy back and of course he'd prefer Izzy over Tobias, no question lol, but he didn't seem to care much about it either.

As far as Axl goes, I don't think he ever had to deal with an "Izzy vs Tobias" question where he chose the latter. Izzy talked with Axl in 1995, then he got a call from Duff and they were writing songs. Axl apparently knew about that and agreed. Then Izzy fled because Axl was taking or looking at notes in one of their phone conversations. Tobias wasn't going to be a full member anyway even if Axl insisted on it, because even if he was on the record he wouldn't tour.

It was an overall difficult  and complicated situation. Tobias was around in the studio but his position was unclear, Izzy seemingly wanted back but not in full capacity (he just wanted to write but not the full package), Axl was playing guitar (Slash didn't like that idea either), so they (or mainly Axl) came up with the idea to have guest guitarists, maybe Axl on some songs and probably hire someone else to tour with them. Slash said in one of his last GnR interviews that he had found a guitarist, a guy who was in Alice Cooper's band (he meant Ryan Roxy); in his book he said that Axl was expecting his input on the second guitarist before those last 1996 sessions but he didn't do anything because his mood was so bad that he couldn't function.

--------

H.R.: Since Axl is playing guitar does that mean there won't be any replacement for Gilby?

Matt: No, there's someone, but I can't tell you his name.

H.R.: Is he well-known?

Matt: No. He's unknown. But I can't tell you his name because I don't know if he will tour with us. There will probably be several guitarists on this album, a lot of guests. We are working on rock songs that last only 4 minutes (laugh). We already did 7 songs and we will write 7 others.

H.R.: Will it be a normal CD or something strange again?

Matt: No, it will be a single album with 10 or 12 songs.

H.R.: Duff told us that the deadline is for Spring 97'¦

Matt: Absolutely! We want to tour next summer. Once we will be in the studio, it won't be long. The only problem is to find a way to get together.

[Matt Sorum, Hard Rock magazine, summer 1996]

-----
From [...]: What is Izzy Stradlin' up to? Will he be performing/or writing with GNR at all?
Slash Says: Last time I saw Izzy, he was on the way to Mexico. When I went to play with Alice Cooper, and I haven't seen or heard from him since. As far as I know, he's just doing donuts around the house with his motorcycle.

From Spawn@Stradlen': are you still friends with Izzy?
Slash Says: As far as I know...actually, I wanted to get together with him to write some songs.

[Slash chat, Oct. 1996]

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, alfierose said:

Marc hasn't posted here in about a year which is why we decided to archive the section. Whilst I do not know his reasons he did state after the reunion was announced something along the lines of his hopes of seeing Axl and Slash reunited had been realised so there was nothing more for him to say (I'm paraphrasing here based on memory, the post will be in the Canter section).

Yes, that's correct. Feels kinda strange for this world.. Marc's contributions here seemed to have a purpose(s) and when realized, they were concluded/archived. How many things GNR has actually gone through that complete a process?! Appetite for Destruction is the only one that comes to mind haha

I just kept telling him that what happened was magic that can never be recreated, even if he got back together with Slash they will never write another APPETITE.   I mean, I’m sure if they got together and wrote a song it could be good but you can’t expect it to ever happen the way it did in 86 again.

This is what I think. I got the impression that a lot of people think that if the Appetite lineup will reunite and start writing music, everything will be the same again, but that's impossible. Doesn't mean it can't be good, maybe there's still some chemistry and they will write some good songs together, but it will never be like in the mid 80s.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

Izzy is flaky, paranoid and flaky. Got it Mark, loud and clear. Seems like Axl was telling the truth on that interview last year. 

How is the guy doing these days? The last picture I saw of him he looked like a corpse. Hope he's alright. 

1 hour ago, Sloth said:

Izzy is flaky, paranoid and flaky. Got it Mark, loud and clear. Seems like Axl was telling the truth on that interview last year. 

How is the guy doing these days? The last picture I saw of him he looked like a corpse. Hope he's alright. 

But here's the thing, Izzy has never missed a single show with GnR when he was in the band. Why would they feel he is risky for a tour?

And Axl thinks Izzy is flaky? Check out the riot thread. :lol:

18 minutes ago, RONIN said:

But here's the thing, Izzy has never missed a single show with GnR when he was in the band. Why would they feel he is risky for a tour?

And Axl thinks Izzy is flaky? Check out the riot thread. :lol:

I think that they tried to avoid as much trouble as possible before the tour started. That's why Pitman was fired and that's why Izzy and Steven aren't included. 

I would love to see a three guitar player line-up with Slash, Rich and Izzy at the next tour. 

On 9/16/2017 at 9:44 AM, Blackstar said:

[Matt Sorum, Hard Rock magazine, summer 1996]

-----
From [...]: What is Izzy Stradlin' up to? Will he be performing/or writing with GNR at all?
Slash Says: Last time I saw Izzy, he was on the way to Mexico. When I went to play with Alice Cooper, and I haven't seen or heard from him since. As far as I know, he's just doing donuts around the house with his motorcycle.

[Slash chat, Oct. 1996]

I remember this. So many fans never heard the expression "doing donuts" when it came to vehicles so they actually thought Izzy was in his house eating donuts on his motorcycle. 

On 9/16/2017 at 10:37 AM, Blackstar said:

Will Slash ever consider working with Izzy again? So many missed opportunities fell thru

95-96, VR & now NITL