GnR Riots/ Near Riots - How many?

Is there any official count for how many riots and near riots for GnR there were?

Alan Niven has mentioned that there was a near riot that was averted in Mannheim, Germany during the first leg of the Illusion tour that particularly freaked out Izzy. There are alleged to be near riots also in South America during the Illusion tour. 

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

Is there any official count for how many riots and near riots for GnR there were?

Alan Niven has mentioned that there was a near riot that was averted in Mannheim, Germany during the first leg of the Illusion tour that particularly freaked out Izzy. There are alleged to be near riots also in South America during the Illusion tour. 

Regarding Mannheim: if you watch the video of the show, Axl is hit by something after Live and Let Die, says "thanks a lot!" and leaves. The resulting pause in the show was excused as "technical difficulties" and "changing of guitars". Axl returned later and continued the show.

Slash: [...]When we went to Europe with Skid Row, everything went along very well, business as usual, until we got to Mannheim [...]. We went on late - late even for us - then, pretty early in the set, something happened and Axl walked off for what reason I have no idea. He wasn't getting heckled as far as I could see, no one hit him with a bottle or anything, but he wasn't having it. Th stage at that venue was literally about a mile away from the production office and dressing room, so a van was there to shuttle us back and forth. When Axl left the stage, he went to the van and headed off to the dressing room.
The rest of us came offstage and were standing around, waiting to find out if Axl was coming back or if his van had taken off to the hotel. [...]
I remember standing there with Duff while Matt was fuming. [...] "Fuck that guy," he said. "I'm gonna go straighten him out."[...]
By this point we'd discovered that Axl's van had not left for the dressing room; he was sitting in it but refused to come out and return to the stage [...] So Matt went down to Axl's van to rally him, but as he got down there, he ran into Axl, who had emerged to head back to the stage. matt was so fired up, though, that he got in Axl's face regardless, to the degree that it almost got physical.
"What the fuck are you doing?" Matt yelled. "Get back onstage!"
I ran up and got between them, because it wasn't a good situation. Axl can get completely psycho when he decides to fight and Matt weighs twice as much as I do - and he plays the drums - so it wasn't exactly a good place for me to be. Axl went back to his van, and it didn't look like he was coming out again.The clock was ticking.
The promoters saw the drama that was going on and closed the gates around the venue so that we couldn't leave. They'd heard what had happened in St. Louis, and it's a good thing they did; if they hadn't, I'm positive that the thirty-eight thousand fans there would have rioted, we would have been held liable and arrested, and people might have died. The local police were already there in riot gear, ready to deal with a full-on situation. It was a scary, tense scene, and a very near miss.
We got Axl back onstage once he realized he had no choice, and the rest of the show went as planned. All I could remember thinking as I walked offstage after the encore was Fuck that was close
[Slash's autobiography, p 343-344]

Duff: When Axl left the stage in Mannheim, Germany, another riot looked inevitable. We had gone on late again. The venue was huge, an outdoor stadium packed with twice as many people as even the biggest of the basketball arenas we had played in the United States up to this point. Matt Sorum tried a novel approach when Axl left; maybe to a "new" guy it was the obvious thing to do. He went to find Axl and confront him. He was turned away by Axl's security detail. The promoters - not the band members, not the managers, not the entourage - saved the day. Their threat was that Axl would be arrested if a riot occurred might not have worked on its own. But they also locked us into the venue [Duff's autobiography, "It's So Easy", 2011, p. 194]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, RONIN said:

When I think "GN'R Riots" I usually just think of Montreal, Vancouver and St. Louis.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

When I think "GN'R Riots" I usually just think of Montreal, Vancouver and St. Louis.

GNR really is a one of a kind.  Seriously, for what other band would you find fans going, well, when I think of the riots my favourite band started, I usually think of this place and that place while other places were not quite riots, but maybe quarrels, or fights. :lol:  I mean, where else would you even find a thread titled, how many riots? LOL

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Haha 1

What is a "near riot" anyway?

In the case of Mannheim, I think it was more a fear on their side (based on previous experience) than actually a near riot.

Now I remembered that the most problematic show in Southamerica was Chile '92. A girl died during the show and Axl had to stop it, scold the fans and was really pissed off the whole time. But show wasn't cancelled. It just went on under a tensioning environment.

Edited by killuridols

48 minutes ago, killuridols said:

What is a "near riot" anyway?

In the case of Mannheim, I think it was more a fear on their side (based on previous experience) than actually a near riot.

Now I remembered that the most problematic show in Southamerica was Chile '92. A girl died during the show and Axl had to stop it, scold the fans and was really pissed off the whole time. But show wasn't cancelled. It just went on under a tensioning environment.

Let's define it as a "troubled" situation. :lol:

I have a lot more to add to this thread. To be continued...:P

• Thanks 1

Columbia 92' sounds like a riot to me. 

In Venezuela in 92' there was political turmoil on the eve of a military coup.  Various stories indicate that the military and or police, knowing GNRs reputation, feared a riot and forced them on at gun point.  The next day as the band attempted to leave, only half could get out before having people and property detained.  (one story goes that the military chased the plane down the run way).

So then the following show in Columbia had to be postponed and there were other complications.  Due to delays, there is said to be some fights, arrests and torched automobiles. "As the police attempted to disperse the disappointed fans, scuffles broke out, a few people were injured, and some nearby cars and property were damaged before order was restored by the use of tear-gas. Against this background, and with only two-thirds of the sound system operational, GN'R took the stage at 10.30pm with 'Welcome To The Jungle'"

Part of the tale is told here:

Wednesday, NOVEMBER 25
POLIEDRO, CARACAS, Venezuela. In the absence of a suitable venue, the show is played outside one (!) in a parking lot in front of 45,000. The biggest show ever staged in Venezuela.

Thursday, NOVEMBER 26
THE 80-PERSON party leaves Venezuela in the evening - just hours before the country was thrown into turmoil by an air-based military coup. In the ensuing chaos, only one of the band's cargo planes is able to take off, leaving over half of their equipment and several crew members stranded.

Friday, NOVEMBER 27
GN'R ARRIVE in Colombia for two scheduled shows at El Campin Stadium in Bogota. But without so much equipment, these shows are immediately in jeopardy. After touchdown in the early hours of the morning they research ways to either bring in new equipment from North America, or get their incarcerated cargo released from Venezuela. Neither is possible in time to set up for Saturday's show, so Saturday tickets are made valid for Sunday and the two gigs are rolled into one. GN'R originally offered to reschedule and play a second show on Monday, but local promoters believed that those who had travelled long distances would not be able to stay an extra two days.

Saturday, NOVEMBER 28
WITH MANY fans already camping outside the 60,000 capacity stadium, the wait for gear to arrive from Venezuela ended around 7pm when the first shipment was delivered. As the crew battled to complete the load-in time for the following night's show, a torrential downpour slowed their progress. At 10.15pm, the six tonne stage roof, complete with a lighting rig, crashed to the ground. Hearing the steel buckle, the stagehands had fled and none was hurt. An inspection revealed that the locally supplied structure had been unable to support the additional weight of the rainwater gathered on the roof. 

With no time to build another roof, the set was redesigned so that all lights the fall was repositioned on the stage's side walls, with the band having to perform under the sky and exposed to the elements

Sunday, NOVEMBER 29
THE MASSING crowds were let in early to avoid clashes with the armed police. At lunchtime, a cloudburst damaged more equipment despite the crew's efforts to protect it. As the day went on, tickets were still on sale. The Columbian promoters had been unable to give the band either accurate ticket sales for either of the originally planned gig, or of returns from the canceled Saturday show. As a result, by 10pm, the stadium was full - with hundreds of ticket holders locked out. 

As the police attempted to disperse the disappointed fans, scuffles broke out, a few people were injured, and some nearby cars and property were damaged before order was restored by the use of tear-gas. Against this background, and with only two-thirds of the sound system operational, GN'R took the stage at 10.30pm with 'Welcome To The Jungle'. 90 minutes later, Axl's ballad 'November Rain' ironically heralded another cloudburst. With no roof to protect the stage, it and the equipment was beneath half-an-inch of water within minutes.

The band completed the song but Axl pulled a translator on stage to tell the crowd that they would need to take a short brake to dry and make safe all the electrical equipment. 15 minutes later, still in pouring rain, Guns were back on the waterlogged stage finishing the set with 'Don't Cry' and 'Paradise City'. The audience, whose enthusiasm remained undampened by the weather throughout, bid them an ecstatic farewell as the band dashed drenched - and relieved - to the waiting vans

http://gunsnroses.com.pl/forum/guns-n39-roses/guns-n'-roses-tour-diary-1991-1993/

• Thanks 1

More on Chile:

At the band's concert in Chile 178 fans were arrested. Audience members, angered by the late start of the concert (a Guns N' Roses staple—they're often several hours late), threw bottles and other objects, and Rose walked off stage twice and threatened to cancel the concert.

http://www.artistwd.com/joyzine/music/gnr/axl_rose.php

FF to 7:19. Riot confirmed in Bogota, Colombia.

Chile - Axl was threatened by the military to take the stage. 

7:40 "killing all the uh...dis..dysentery...uh...dissidents." :lol:

Edited by RONIN

Other "troubled" concerts: (there's probably a bunch I'm missing). The 1992 Guns/Metallica tour is infamous for walk offs and shows ending early.

Copenhagen, Denmark - August 19th, 1991 - Near riot.

Under Sweet Child, the crowd got a little too into it. Some bumf**k threw a firecracker towards Rose, and it ignited a few yards from him. On my tape it sounds like a Scud missile going off. 

"You wanna play games like that, we`ll go home, it`s not a problem," Rose sputted while the song continued. Then, as he probably saw no security did anything, he halted the show : "Stop, stop, stop…*the band stopped playing gradually*…I didn`t come here for anyone in my band to get hurt or for any people in the crowd to get hurt, because somebody wants to be an asshole. *Pause* (Rose talks to Stradlin). In fact, we are gonna leave for a bit, untill you find the guy." And off they went. 

Now, how they avoided a riot I do not know. The crowd went ballistic. Poor guy who did it. After 15 minutes or so, the band returned to chants of "Kick him out!, kick him out!, kick him out!" from a roaring crowd, ready to go off. But nobody could find the guy in question. 

http://www.gnrontour.com/sets1991/19910819reviews.html

Austin, Texas - 02/23/1992 - Axl stormed out to the soundboard, halfway through the show, and fired the audio technician because his stage monitors were inaudible. (source: Watch you Bleed)

Sacramento, CA - April/1992 - Duff knocked out with a bottle of piss. Axl ends concert.

Moscow 1992 - Guns N' Roses was scheduled to play Moscow on May 26 and 27, but the concerts had to be cancelled when their manager was arrested on drug charges. - I included this because it was hilarious. Doug Goldstein ??

http://www.artistwd.com/joyzine/music/gnr/axl_rose.php

New Jersey 1992 - Axl has a sore throat and blood in his mouth but decides to finish the show. During "Heaven's Door", someone throws a cigarette lighter which nails him in the nuts. Axl runs offstage and Duff finishes the show's vocals. (From the book, Watch you Bleed)

Englewood, Colorado 1991 - "Another riot was narrowly avoided a week later in Englewood, Colorado when Axl took exception to a heckler."

http://teamrock.com/feature/2017-05-15/guns-n-roses-no-shows-and-bomb-scares-on-the-chaotic-use-your-illusion-tour

Inglewood, CA 1991 - "And later that same month at Inglewood, California police sensibly tore up a traffic ticket they’d issued after Axl’s limousine made an illegal left turn outside the Forum and he threatened to cancel the show with 19,000 people already inside."

http://teamrock.com/feature/2017-05-15/guns-n-roses-no-shows-and-bomb-scares-on-the-chaotic-use-your-illusion-tour

12/92 - Sao Paulo, Brazil - 'Live And Let Die' is temporarily stopped as a couple was fighting in the crowd, which prompted Axl to have security break it up. Before 'Double Talkin' Jive,' Axl said through an interpreter - “They made me sign a document saying that I didn't wanna to throw that chair. I wanted to throw it, and, if they stop me again, I'll  throw and throw however many chairs needed. This is a song called 'Double Talkin' Jive Motherfucker!'” 'You Could Be Mine' is also stopped because someone in the crowd threw something at Axl. 'Paradise City' is stopped in the second verse, then Axl said “Goodbye and fuck you assholes!" The band then left the stage. Apparently someone threw a bottle that hit Matt Sorum. 

source: gnrontour.com

Denver 1992 - Axl walks offstage early in the set. Promoter rumored to force him back onstage at gunpoint according to Lars Ulrich (see article below).

Philly 2002 - I suppose this would count as a near riot averted?

Sao Paulo, Brazil - March 2010 - Perhaps the most bizarre GnR riot. 

"The audience got angry and started to mount the stage and fight and destroy everything," the Post cites a source as saying. "It was wild. There were fights everywhere, on the dance floor, in the bathrooms, outside the club. Crazy. I guess the free drinks didn't help."

http://www.mtv.com/news/1634055/guns-n-roses-face-tour-trouble-in-south-america/

https://www.pedestrian.tv/music/guns-n-roses-concert-turns-into-riot/

Edited by RONIN

Number of shows scheduled throughout career (1983-2007): 605

Number of shows cancelled: 67

Number of shows played, stopped or not: 538

Number of riots: 5, including Monsters of Rock mudslide

September 21, 1986: Outdoor festival at the Street Scene in Los Angeles.  The show was stopped because Axl got hit with a bottle.

June 19, 1987: Beer cans were thrown at Axl during the first night of their Marquee gigs in London, however the show continued.

August 1987: Iron Maiden tour cancelled while Slash was in rehab and Axl was in the hospital recovering from an overdose.

June 9, 1988: Quit Iron Maiden tour because of Axl's throat problems.

October 18, 1989: He told the audience, "Before we begin, I'd like to announce this is my last gig with Guns N' Roses." He then added, with an air of disillusionment, that "there's no need to look for a Paradise City because none exists."  Before 'Mr. Brownstone,' Axl says that, "Unless certain people in this band don't get their shit together, these will be the last Guns N' Roses shows you will fuckin ever see. Cause I'm tired of too many people in this organization dancing with Mr. goddamn Brownstone." Axl falls off the stage during Out Ta Get Me. Later he says it was due to bad footwork and bitchin lighting.  Three days later he was back. 

May 16, 1991: Axl fell off the stage and injured his ankle during a show at The Ritz in New York and was forced to wear a brace during the first weeks of the Get In the Ring World Tour.

July 2, 1991: GNR played a show in St. Louis, Missouri where the leader of a local biker gang, "Stump" of The Saddle Tramps, was harassing fans in the front rows. Axl instructs the security to remove him. The security guards were friends with the biker gang and refused to act. The biker then taunted Axl by waving a camera. Axl told security to take the camera. Finally, Axl has just about had it with the security. Too many fans were able to grab his ankles (one of which was recently injured) and two bottles managed to hit Duff. Axl jumped into the crowd in the middle of Rocket Queen to get the biker's camera. "Thanks to the lame ass security, I'm going home!" Axl lost a contact lens, and went back stage to find one, with the intention of coming back. "I went backstage and found a new lens. It was getting crazy, and we decided we were going to go back out and try to play, because we didn't want people to get hurt." Before he got his lens back in, the crowd had destroyed the drum set. Sixty fans were injured and 16 were arrested. They caused $200,000 worth of damage. Axl was charged for inciting a riot.

August 13, 1991: Axl walked off the stage during Welcome to the Jungle and returned 25 minutes later.

August 17, 1991: At around nine o'clock, Axl comes out of the elevator at the Sheraton Hotel, but instead of going to the car that's waiting for him, he goes and plays roulette for 1.5 hours. After that he goes back up to his room. Five minutes later he comes back down and goes to the car. On the way to the venue, he tells the driver to stop. There was a festival in Stockholm called Vattenfestivalen and Axl wanted to see the fireworks. The show starts after eleven o'clock. During "Knockin' On Heaven's Door", Axl says "Now on this one maybe you people that have been falling asleep the whole fuckin' show, on your feet up here could sing along too.... If you're bored, you should've saved your money and gone and seen the fireworks tonight."

August 19, 1991: Show in Copenhagen, Denmark. The show went fine until somebody threw a firecracker onstage. Axl told the audience that they wouldn't continue the show until the idiot who did it turned himself in. After a 15-minute break the show continued.

August 20, 1991: The band, minus Axl, lands in Oslo, Norway for the following day's show. Izzy tells the Swedish production manager that there's a little problem. Nobody knows where Axl is. The rest of the band checks in at Grand Hotel. Later in the evening Axl's assistant calls and says they're in Paris, France.

August 21, 1991: At around five or six o'clock in the morning, Axl's assistant calls the hotel to tell them that Axl won't make it for tonight's show. The show at Spektrum in Oslo, Norway is cancelled.

June 6, 1992: After the Paris pay-per-view show, doctors told Axl to get 36 hours of rest because he was in a state of complete physical exhaustion. By following the doctor's advice, he soon got better.

June 13, 1992: Wembley show in London is reported the hottest show of the tour.  Several fans suffer from heat-related illnesses.  According to Chris Cornell, earlier in the day, a fan had a heart attack while Soundgarden was playing. He was brought back to life by a paramedic while they were playing their first song. During the show Axl had one trouble-making drunken fan removed from the crowd. Later he stops the show so that security can help a young girl, who he spots in distress at the front of the crowd.

June 16, 1992: Duff had a verbal altercation with one fan. After Axl's words of warning - "I wouldn't mess with him, he's not had a drink in two weeks!" - the fan piped down.

June 22, 1992: Duff and Axl suffer from sore throats following a June 20th show in Würzburg, Germany that took place during a heavy thunderstorm.  They are both given medical treatment to go on with the show on the 23rd.  The venue threatens to turn off the lights at 11:30 because of an 11pm curfew, but police allow the band to play until midnight.

June 24, 1992: Belgium show cancelled due to Duff's illness.

July 1, 1992: News reaches management that the authorities have closed the Vicente Caldaron stadium in Madrid. The concrete fabric of the building has been badly effected by aluminosis. On such a short notice an alternative venue was impossible to find. The last date in Europe (July 4) had to be cancelled. In a statement issued on Friday, Axl said: "We were looking forward to this last date in Europe, as we love the Spanish audiences and we were planning on a wild night to end the tour. We hope that we will be able to return soon and make it up to our fans."

July 2, 1992: When the show started, the crowd started throwing empty water bottles, as they had done during the support acts' sets. In the middle of the first song, Axl was running and slipped on one of the bottles. He fell flat on his back and sang the rest of the song and the next song on his back. Duff went over to check if he was ok. Then he got up and said if people didn't stop throwing bottles at the stage, they would leave. He said "I didn't come here to get hurt" and they stopped playing. After a while they came back and continued the show. But the crowd was throwing fire-crackers and lighters between them, not at the band. Axl stopped the show once again (during Civil War), told the crowd to stop. Then a member of the Portuguese organization came onstage and tried to calm people down. The show was one year after the St. Louis riots and the media was referring to that incident the next day. Finally the band returned and started playing Patience and there were no more incidents during the show.

July 29, 1992: Midway through the show at Giant Stadium in Rutherford, New Jersey Axl encounters severe pain in his throat but continues to (almost) finish the show. During the last song, "Knockin' On Heaven's Door", he is hit in the genitals by a cigarette lighter thrown from the crowd with considerable force. Axl retires backstage to regain his breath, so Duff has to take over on vocals.

July 30, 1992: Axl is diagnosed as having sustained severe damage to his vocal chords, three shows - in Boston, MA, Columbia, SC and Minneapolis, MN are rescheduled.

August 8, 1992: Another riot was spawned at the Montreal Stade Olympique during a co-headlining tour with Metallica.  James Hetfeild mocked Axl's list of items for backstage comfort.  Rose, already late for the band's stage appearance, walked off stage and left the stadium after playing 9 songs claiming he had problems with his voice and decided to cancel the band's set. Before 'Double Talkin' Jive,' Axl said that this will be “our last show for a long time.” At the end of 'Civil War', their last song, Axl said “Thank you, your money will be refunded, we're outta here.”  Coincidentally, James Hetfield of Metallica was burned in a pyrotechnics accident that same night.  This led to yet another riot, nearly city-wide, destroying $1,000,000 in property and authorities were barely able to bring the mob under control. Supposedly Axl verbally attacked Metallica at a San Francisco concert in 1992.

August 25, 1992: With Hetfield recovered the tour resumes at the International Raceway in Phoenix, Arizona. Seven shows had to be rescheduled as a result of Hetfield's injuries. Axl has overcome his vocal chord and arytenoid inflammation problems.

November 25, 1992: Caracas, Venezuela. In the absence of a suitable venue, the show is played outside one in a parking lot in front of 45,000. The biggest show ever staged in Venezuela.

November 26, 1992: The entourage leave Venezuela in the evening, just hours before the country was thrown into turmoil by an air-based military coup. In the ensuing chaos, only one of the band's cargo planes is able to take off. Over half of their equipment and several crew members are left stranded.

November 27, 1992: GN'R arrive in Colombia for two scheduled shows at El Campin Stadium in Bogota. But with much of the equipment still in Venezuela these shows are in jeopardy. Tickets for Saturday's show are made valid for Sunday. The two gigs are rolled into one.  GN'R originally offered to play a second show on Monday, but the promoters believed that those who had traveled long distances would not be able to stay an extra two days.

November 28, 1992: At around 7pm the first shipment of cargo was delivered from Venezuela. As the crew battled to complete the load-in time for the following night's show, a torrential downpour slowed the progress. At 10:15pm, the six ton stage roof, complete with lighting rig, crashed to the ground. Hearing the steel buckle, the stagehands had fled and no one was injured. An inspection revealed that the locally supplied structure had been unable to support the additional weight of the rainwater gathered on the stage roof. With no time to build a new roof, the set was redesigned. The lights that survived the crash were repositioned to the stage's side walls.

November 29, 1992: At lunchtime a cloudburst damaged equipment despite the crew's efforts to protect it. By 10pm the stadium was full - with hundreds of ticket holders outside. Scuffles broke out, a few people were injured, and some nearby cars and property were damaged before the police could restore the order by the use of tear-gas. GN'R took the stage at 10:30pm. The show started with "Welcome To The Jungle". During "November Rain" there was another cloudburst. Within minutes, the equipment was beneath half-an-inch of water. The band had to take a break to dry and make safe all the electrical equipment. They returned after 15 minutes to finish the set.

December 10, 1992: First show of two at Anhembi in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Played despite torrential downpour.

December 11, 1992: Second show in Sao Paulo was postponed 24 hours. The site and access to the venue were flooded. In a press statement Axl apologized: "We hope that everyone who was planning to come to the show tonight can make it tomorrow. As we proved, both here and in Bogota recently... none of us are afraid to get wet!" In this instance, the promoters and local authorities insisted that the conditions would be too risky for the fans.

January 30, 1993: Show at the Eastern Creek Raceway outside Sydney, Australia. A meet n' greet was arranged for 15 handicapped fans. The show was delayed for 30 minutes by a faulty power generator.

February 1, 1993: The whole entourage watch the US Superbowl on TV. The show at the Calder Park Raceway stadium goes ahead in torrential rain. Despite the rain, it breaks national attendance records.

February 2, 1993: Duff and Dizzy visit a spinal injuries hospital on the outskirts of Melbourne.

February 26, 1993: Four shows cancelled owing to adverse weather conditions between February 26th and March 4th.

April 3, 1993: A show in Sacramento, CA is cut short after 90 minutes when Duff is hit in the head with what Slash calls a "bottle of piss" (MTV News reported it as a plastic water bottle). Axl announces that the show will be stopped. A few minutes later Slash comes out and says that the "bottle of piss" knocked Duff unconscious and required him to be taken to the hospital. MTV news later reported him to be okay, and the next gig would go on as scheduled. Slash then said there was no way they were coming back out and that the show was over. He asked everyone to leave peacefully and "don't fuck with anyone, don't fuck with the building."

April 15, 1993: GN'R are forced to cancel the show at the Omni in Atlanta, Georgia due to Duff's injuries.

April 29, 1993: Gilby broke his left wrist in a motorcycle accident, while practicing for a celebrity race in honor of the TJ Martell Foundation for leukemia, cancer and AIDS research. The next four shows had to be cancelled. The forthcoming European shows were in jeopardy, but Axl called Izzy who stepped in for the first five shows. "Izzy and I grew up together and we're like a family in a lot of ways - including having our differences," comments Axl.

May 19 & 20, 1993: GN'R planned to play a show at the Lenin Stadium in Moscow, Russia. The show was cancelled due to the political situation in the country.

May 26, 1993: The band leave Athens at 10am to fly to Turkey. After three songs, Axl stops the show and says: "If you don't stop throwing lit sparklers at each other, someone will get hurt and the band will be forced to leave the stadium." The band flew over night to Stansted.

June 12, 1993: Show in front of 31,000 at the Olympic Stadium in Stockholm, Sweden. 884 fans were lifted over the barrier during the show, which is a record. The average for this venue is 300. 43 fans received medical attention for headaches.

June 16, 1993: The show at the St Jakob Fussballstadion in Basel, Switzerland is opened by Blind Melon and Quireboys. During the show a naked Shannon Hoon walks onstage to deliver a pizza.

June 22, 1993: GN'R hit the stage beneath a pouring rainstorm.

June 30, 1993: Tonight's show at the Modena Stadio in Modena, Italy opens with "It's So Easy". Axl's assistant, Robert Finkelstein, is dumped at the front of the stage by three members of the security team.

June 22, 2000: Axl performed live again for the first time with the Starfuckers at the Cat Club in West Hollywood.  This was Axl's first public performance in six years.

December 31-January 1, 2001: Axl introduced the new lineup at the House of Blues in Las Vegas.

January 15, 2001: Rock City, Barra da Tijuca, Rio de Jineiro, Brazil with Buckethead

May 10, 2001: European tour cancelled.  The tour was rescheduled.

September 13, 2001: The release of the Live in Las Vegas 2001 DVD was cancelled.

November 8, 2001: The European tour was cancelled again and Doug Goldstein was fired for scheduling a tour without Axl's approval.  Merck Mercuriadis took over as the band's manager.

December 29, 2001: The Joint, Las Vegas

December 31, 2001: Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas; Slash was denied access to both shows.

August 23, 2002: GN'R plays at the Leeds Festival in England. The show starts at 11:10pm, an hour later than scheduled because of delays caused by technical problems.  Axl speaks about how the city council wants to end the show, "Well, it appears that we're gonna have an interesting evening.... You see, the city council and the promoters say we have to end the show. And they could say maybe I'm inciting a riot. Now I'm not, 'cause I don't want anyone to get arrested or anyone to get in trouble or anything like that. But I think we got a good seven or eight fuckin' songs left at least. And I didn't fuckin' come all the way over to fuckin' England to be told to go back fuckin home, by some fuckin' asshole! All I've got for the last eight years is shit after shit after shit in the fuckin' press and Axl's this, Axl's that. I'm here to play a fuckin' show and we wanna play! So, if you wanna stay, I wanna stay and we'll see what happens. Everybody... Nobody try to get in trouble or anything. Try to have a good time."  GN'R were allowed to finish their set and it ended just before 1am.

August 24, 2002: Show starts at around midnight and ends two hours later.

November 7, 2002: GN'R's first show on the North American Chinese Democracy tour in Vancouver, Canada is cancelled. Some people decide to take out their anger on the venue and smashed windows. After a while, cops with attack dogs arrived at the venue and started attacking the crowd. People got sprayed with pepper spray and beaten by riot batons.

December 6, 2002: GN'R were supposed to play at the First Union Center in Philadelphia, PA. Both opening acts played tonight. Mix Master Mike finished his set at about 9:50. About 40 minutes later, people were booing. After 11 some people started throwing chairs and at around 11:10 the official announcement that the show had been postponed due to health reasons came out over the PA. Some angry fans threw bottles, tossed chairs and pulled down tiles from the ceilings. They overturned garbage cans and knocked over stage equipment. At least 15 people were injured and extra police units were called in to manage the irate crowd.

March 30, 2004:  Rock in Rio in Lisbon, Portugal was cancelled due to Buckethead leaving the band after reportedly catching a stomach virus.

April 22, 2005: A club in Cartersville, GA claimed Axl would play a show there. The show was even advertised on a local radio station and the club claimed they had a signed contract with Axl. It turned out to be a hoax.

January 22, 2006: Adler's Appetite play their first German show on the tour in Ludwigsburg. After the show, Steven fires the rest of the band and leaves them stranded in Germany.

June 7, 2006: Fans walked out of a London gig because Rose was an hour late hitting the stage.  Ironically, this was a historic show as it was the first ticketless concert and it was pioneered by GNR.  New technology was launched on May 19 that allowed fans to purchase tickets via their mobile phones, and receive text message barcodes which are scanned on entry into the gig.

June 11, 2006: Angry crowds hurled plastic bottles at Axl as he interrupted the show on two occasions to hasten backstage, citing technical difficulties. Axl slipped and fell on his ass and then stormed off stage demanding that it be carpeted.  After being subjected to the audience's makeshift missiles, Rose threatened to pull the curtain on his show altogether.  This incident was voted the most memorable moment of the 2006 UK Festival Awards.

June 21, 2006: Guns N' Roses was forced to postpone their show in Zürich, Switzerland at the Hallenstadion because Brain had to return to San Francisco earlier than scheduled to be with his pregnant wife.  The Swiss show took place on July 1st instead.

July 19, 2006: Axl sparked a riot at a concert after refusing to appear on stage until he had been given a full roast dinner. He kept the crowd for over an hour in the sweltering heat as he tucked in to his meal. His behavior didn't go down too well with the thousand strong audience, who started jeering and throwing objects at the empty stage. Concert goer Saskia Green says, "It was really hot and the crowd was booing because he was taking forever. A security guard said the delay was caused by Axl demanding a lamb dinner before he went on." Colin Revel, manager of the Metro Arena, confirmed the bizarre request for the British delicacy and said, "Only a roast dinner would do."  The show ended earlier than planned because Axl was hit twice by objects thrown from the audience.  In a statement, the band claim they were perfectly within their rights to end proceedings, insisting the situation was spiraling dangerously out of control. Rose says, "Getting hit wasn't a big deal. We stopped the song and gave a warning. We came back and started the song over and completed it. We then said goodnight. The house lights went down and I got hit a second time, in the mouth, by a solid object thrown by someone in the audience. "After having warned the crowd that we would leave, and having played more than two hours, we left the stage and called it a night with the full support of everyone in the band, our guests and management. He added that the decision was taken by the whole band: "Izzy was the first to immediately support the decision verbally to me personally before I had physically left the stage area. "Tommy and Frank came to my dressing room to say how much they appreciated the decision to not continue under those conditions, and express their support for not tolerating anyone throwing items at the stage with a negative intent." Guns N' Roses will play the last four dates of their sold out UK tour this week.

July 30, 2006: Earlier that morning at 4am, GNR played a surprise acoustic show at the Cuckoo Club. During the regular show at the Wembley Arena, Axl got sick and left the stage during Nightrain. Sebastian Bach took over on vocals and he also sang Paradise City. At the end of the show GN'R's manager Merck Mercuriadis explained that Axl had been advised by doctors not to play the show, but he refused to cancel it.  Rose became ill early on Sunday morning after the band performed at the British capital's Wembley Arena, followed by a surprise show at a nightclub. A doctor who later visited the singer in his hotel room diagnosed low blood pressure and low blood sugar and advised him against taking the stage on Sunday evening. However, the hellraising frontman ignored the advice and was rushed off the stage at London's Wembley Arena after managing to perform for two hours. "I approached this last show with equal parts determination, obligation, responsibility and insanity. It was an amazing night. I want to thank everyone in Europe and the UK for inspiring us and for giving us the opportunity to play for them."

September 21, 2006: Second sold out show at The Warfield in San Francisco, CA. Axl stopped the show during Sweet Child O' Mine due to some people causing problems. He tells them they're fucking up other peoples' show and asks them if their mommy bought them the tickets. He also says "If you think you're a bigger asshole than me, you have a lot to learn!".

October 2006: Guns N’ Roses postpone the first 2 shows of its U.S. tour.

October 29, 2006: GN'R played in San Juan, Puerto Rico at the Jose Miguel Agrelot Coliseum. During the show, Axl made the harsh statement that Internet fans were not real fans because they did not attend the shows and commented on how certain fans, who watch clips on YouTube, complain about the set list.  The music news site, Blabbermouth.com, plagiarized comments posted on Here Today...Gone To Hell by fans who had complained about the live clips on YouTube and reported negative comments.  MTV News then copied the post on Blabbermouth ver batim and reported that fans hated the show.

September 23, 2006: Guns N' Roses' first southern California show in 14 years fell on largely deaf ears on Saturday night as fans gave up on the group after Axl arrived on stage an hour late. The rockers were slated to headline the Inland Invasion festival just before midnight, but Rose didn't hit the Hyundai Pavilion stage until 1am. By then, many fans had already drifted off after watching the likes of Muse and actor Jared Leto's band 30 Seconds to Mars, and more left when Rose and his new-look group started playing new material instead of hits. But Rose was undeterred by the dwindling crowds and impressed those who stayed with a two-hour set fuelled by his gym workout-like performance. Fan David Grint says, "Axl was amazing. It wasn't always pretty but he can still hit the high notes and he's still all-energy. Unfortunately, there were a lot of breaks for costume changes and a few too many guitar solos and new songs." Among the highlights were a cover of Christina Aguilers's Beautiful and a duet with Sebastian Bach on My Michelle.

September 29, 2006: A show at the Gaylord Entertainment Center in Nashville, Tennessee was cancelled due to poor scheduling.

November 6, 2006: The show in Portland, ME at the Cumber County Civic Center was cancelled due to limitations imposed by local fire marshals who told them it was against state law to drink alcohol onstage.  Guns N' Roses cancelled a performance in Maine this week after being told by state officials that the band could not drink on stage. Inspectors from the state fire marshal's office gave the band the no-drinking order when they came to inspect the pyrotechnics planned for Monday's concert in Portland. Stephen McCausland, a spokesperson for the Maine Public Safety Department, said the band wanted to drink beer, wine and Jagermeister while performing. He said a couple of hours after being told that the drinking would violate state law, the band cancelled its concert. After the cancellation, a band spokesperson blamed the fire marshals for "making it impossible for the band to perform their show to the usual high standards that their fans deserve." Axl issued a statement on the Guns N' Roses website apologizing to fans in Maine saying, "It was important for us to play there and it is a shame that what should have been a great night for all of us was not possible due to the actions of two people (the fire marshals). I agree with, and ultimately take responsibility for, the end decision not to jeopardize the safety of the fans, the crews, the bands and myself as a result of the methods of these particularly draconian authorities. We hope to find another way to play for you in the future." Supervisor of liquor licensing and inspection for the state Department of Public Safety Jeff Austin said state law prohibits performers from drinking while on stage and prohibits employees at establishments with liquor licenses from drinking on the job. He adds, "It's been on the books for years."

November 24, 2006: The Eagles of Death Metal were booed off the stage by Guns N' Roses fans and Axl came onto the stage and said, "What did ya think of the Pigeons of Shit Metal?  Don't worry, they won't be back."  The Eagles of Death Metal walked out on Axl after just one date. The group, fronted by Jesse Hughes was scheduled to open for Guns N' Roses on 15 dates, which began in Cleveland, Ohio. But after Rose ridiculed the act, Hughes decided he didn't want any part of the tour. In a statement released on the 27th, Hughes confirmed the group had chosen to leave the tour, using Guns N' Roses hits to get his message across. He said, "At first the audience refused to welcome us to the jungle, but by the time we took our final bow, it had become paradise city.  Although Axl tried to November rain on our parade, no sweet child o' mine can derail the EODM night train. We say live and let die."

November 29, 2006: The show scheduled to take place at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin was cancelled due to illness. Axl was suffering from an ear infection and strep throat.  He had been ordered to rest for several days and wasn't prepared to throw the rest of the band's US tour into doubt to play the Wisconsin city. A band statement read, "I have been fighting this off for a long time but the doctor told me tonight that the only way not to jeopardize the balance of the tour is immediate rest.  We will now have three days off before continuing Friday. We are sorry to miss the fans in Milwaukee."

December 14, 2006: Axl fired manager Merck Mercuriadis and cancelled the remaining tour dates in California and Nevada to work on promoting the album which he announced would be released tentatively on March 6, 2007.

December 19, 2006: Guns N' Roses drummer Frank Ferrer had a shock midway through a gig in Los Angeles when his drums caught fire from the pyrotechnics. They were playing November Rain at the city's Gibson Amphitheatre when the incident occurred. Rose immediately made a reference to spoof rockumentary This Is Spinal Tap, while continuing to play the piano. Rose said, "That's a first - the fucking drums caught fire. I like that. We might just Spinal Tap the drummer. Blow him up."

April 20, 2007: Gung N' Roses pulled out of the My Coke Fest in South Africa because bassist Tommy Stinson sprained his hand after falling down a flight of stairs.

June 20, 2007: Axl was fuming at a Brisbane, Australia concert when a fan unhappy with the band's late arrival onstage threw a drink at him. Rose and his bandmates took the Brisbane Entertainment Center stage at 11.45pm, angering fans who had paid up to $150 (AUS $175) to attend. Seconds into opening song Welcome To The Jungle, a can of drink narrowly missed Rose, although its contents still managed to splatter the singer. He told the crowd, "Is that what you want? You want a battle. If you're going to act like that, then you know I don't have to be here.'' Rose proceeded to walk offstage throughout the set, forcing his bandmates to improvise extended solos to cover his absence.

July 6, 2007: Live Earth Festival cancelled.  "Guns N' Roses or myself will not be performing at Rio Live Earth or Live Earth for a couple of reasons. The first is that we were not asked until the last couple weeks while we were on tour in Australia and have upcoming sold-out dates already rescheduled in Japan. Our gear is already en route to Japan for these shows. We have attempted to find a solution to be able to perform in Rio, but unfortunately none has been suggested. I was asked to perform individually with Lenny Kravitz by the promoters and Mr. Gore. As we were working this out, Lenny unfortunately became injured and temporarily canceled his involvement from the event. According to the promoters, by the time they had reconfirmed Lenny's performance, there wasn't enough time to arrange flights for myself to Brazil and then to Japan for our upcoming shows."

http://ladydairhean.0catch.com/Axl/controversy.htm

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

True Story: Axl Once Threatened to Skip a Concert, So Barry Fey Got His Gun

The Axl Rose story, as told by Lars Ulrich. You've heard about that one, right? That story is, I guess, the most famous of the stories. We had Guns and Metallica at Mile High [Stadium]. And there was 48-49,000 people there. It was a big tour, and they alternated closing. One night, one band would close, and the other night the other one.

This one, Metallica opened, and... the whole story's in the book, but I'll tell you... Metallica opened, and I went out - it was a great set - I went backstage for the opening number of Guns. I went out, and they played "Welcome to the Jungle." I'm walking out - I'm going to give you the language, and you clean it up however you want; I'm just telling you how it happened - I'm walking backstage, and this guy comes running out and says, "Barry, Axl just left."

I said, "'The fuck are you talking about, 'Axl left'?" So I ran backstage, and I found out that he had come down off the stage, got into the limousine and left the site. So I said to... I went up to - his name was Big John; he was the guy who ran the limo company - and I said, 'You don't work for him; you work for me.' I said, 'You ever want to see another fucking dime of this company's money, you get that car back here.' And he said, "What?" I said, "Yeah. The only way he gets out of that car is if he jumps out. And if he jumps out, you leave him in the street. But you get that car back here."

So he gets on his little telephone. People are getting a little pissed by this time. Guns is up there just jamming, right? They played "Welcome to the Jungle," and then they didn't do anything; they were just jamming, and people were getting a little pissed off. In fact, I found out that they were taking their Guns N' Roses T-shirts back to the concession stand and throwing them at them and saying, "Give me a Metallica shirt."

So I went into the Guns and Metallica dressing room. So Guns sends down an emissary -- and this I know for sure because I was standing there within three feet - and he tells Lars, "Would you guys consider coming back up and jamming with us, because the crowd's going to get out of line?" So Lars tells him, word for word, "You bozos don't have enough money in your collective bank accounts for me to get back on that stage."

So at that point, I left the dressing room, went back out to the parking lot and got my .357 out of my glove box and put it in my back pocket. So I go out there, and I don't know what I'm going to do, because, you know, he had caused a riot in Montreal, I believe, by leaving and not coming back. Well, a few minutes later, the car comes back, and Axl gets out and talks to his manager - his name was Doug Goldstein; he was a glorified security guy; he use to do their security, and he took over their management. But how do you manage, manic depressive heroin addicts? That's a pretty good trick. I don't know how you do that.

So he [Axl] comes and talks to his manager and goes right up on the stage and gets back into it. So I put three of my, what do you want to call 'em, security, goons, thugs -- the toughest ones I have - at the top of the stairs and three Denver cops at the bottom. My instructions are: "The only way he gets out, if he leaves again, is that way," and I point to the crowd. Doug Goldstein says, "Barry, you can't do that. Axl will get so pissed." I said, "I don't give a fuck about him, and I don't give the same about you. I care about them," and I pointed to the people.

So that, basically, is what happened. But Lars tends to tell a different story, and Lars has far more credibility out in the industry than I have. He swears I put the gun up to Axl's temple and said, "Get on that fucking stage or you're going to die." It [his .357] never left my pocket. But every time he sees me today, he says, "Barry, are you packing today?" So that was that story.

Details of Slash's insane bachelor party below.

Of course, that also was Slash's bachelor party that night. It was downtown at the Embassy Suites, which is no longer there. They were handing out little tickets - a blue ticket, like if you wanted a blow job, a yellow ticket if you wanted to get laid, a red ticket if you wanted to do both. It was a crazy night. And it turns out, I found out later, the reason Axl left was because he had a fight with Slash on the stage. But you know, I didn't really care. I just... I wasn't going to let him get away with that.

And Lars says to me, "Don't tell me you wouldn't have shot him." I said, 'Oh if he's not going to go on, he's going to get shot." But it didn't have to happen. So that's a great story, but it's true. That's the way it is. If you hang up with me and call Lars, he'll tell you the story, "Yeah, Barry put this fucking gun to his head." Didn't happen.

http://www.laweekly.com/music/true-story-axl-once-threatened-to-skip-a-concert-so-barry-fey-got-his-gun-2404438

Boston St Patty's Day 93 was a near riot.. Bottle thrown on stage.. Band left the stage for about 1/2 hour.. Very drunk Boston St Patrick's Day crowd.. You could feel the tension growing and but growing.. Axl came out to loud boos but defused the situation and resumed teh best show I have ever attended.

• GNFNR 1

The 2010 fashion model riot in Brazil is a  GnR classic. :lol:

https://www.pedestrian.tv/music/guns-n-roses-concert-turns-into-riot/

I didn't include any further info on GnR near misses after 2006, so conceivably there are a bunch more still left to document. Anyone remember 2010 Dublin, Ireland where the band gets bottled after being 3 hrs late and leave after one song? :lol:

15 hours ago, soon said:

Columbia 92' sounds like a riot to me. 

In Venezuela in 92' there was political turmoil on the eve of a military coup.  Various stories indicate that the military and or police, knowing GNRs reputation, feared a riot and forced them on at gun point.  The next day as the band attempted to leave, only half could get out before having people and property detained.  (one story goes that the military chased the plane down the run way).

So then the following show in Columbia had to be postponed and there were other complications.  Due to delays, there is said to be some fights, arrests and torched automobiles. "As the police attempted to disperse the disappointed fans, scuffles broke out, a few people were injured, and some nearby cars and property were damaged before order was restored by the use of tear-gas. Against this background, and with only two-thirds of the sound system operational, GN'R took the stage at 10.30pm with 'Welcome To The Jungle'"

Part of the tale is told here:

Wednesday, NOVEMBER 25
POLIEDRO, CARACAS, Venezuela. In the absence of a suitable venue, the show is played outside one (!) in a parking lot in front of 45,000. The biggest show ever staged in Venezuela.

Thursday, NOVEMBER 26
THE 80-PERSON party leaves Venezuela in the evening - just hours before the country was thrown into turmoil by an air-based military coup. In the ensuing chaos, only one of the band's cargo planes is able to take off, leaving over half of their equipment and several crew members stranded.

Friday, NOVEMBER 27
GN'R ARRIVE in Colombia for two scheduled shows at El Campin Stadium in Bogota. But without so much equipment, these shows are immediately in jeopardy. After touchdown in the early hours of the morning they research ways to either bring in new equipment from North America, or get their incarcerated cargo released from Venezuela. Neither is possible in time to set up for Saturday's show, so Saturday tickets are made valid for Sunday and the two gigs are rolled into one. GN'R originally offered to reschedule and play a second show on Monday, but local promoters believed that those who had travelled long distances would not be able to stay an extra two days.

Saturday, NOVEMBER 28
WITH MANY fans already camping outside the 60,000 capacity stadium, the wait for gear to arrive from Venezuela ended around 7pm when the first shipment was delivered. As the crew battled to complete the load-in time for the following night's show, a torrential downpour slowed their progress. At 10.15pm, the six tonne stage roof, complete with a lighting rig, crashed to the ground. Hearing the steel buckle, the stagehands had fled and none was hurt. An inspection revealed that the locally supplied structure had been unable to support the additional weight of the rainwater gathered on the roof. 

With no time to build another roof, the set was redesigned so that all lights the fall was repositioned on the stage's side walls, with the band having to perform under the sky and exposed to the elements

Sunday, NOVEMBER 29
THE MASSING crowds were let in early to avoid clashes with the armed police. At lunchtime, a cloudburst damaged more equipment despite the crew's efforts to protect it. As the day went on, tickets were still on sale. The Columbian promoters had been unable to give the band either accurate ticket sales for either of the originally planned gig, or of returns from the canceled Saturday show. As a result, by 10pm, the stadium was full - with hundreds of ticket holders locked out. 

As the police attempted to disperse the disappointed fans, scuffles broke out, a few people were injured, and some nearby cars and property were damaged before order was restored by the use of tear-gas. Against this background, and with only two-thirds of the sound system operational, GN'R took the stage at 10.30pm with 'Welcome To The Jungle'. 90 minutes later, Axl's ballad 'November Rain' ironically heralded another cloudburst. With no roof to protect the stage, it and the equipment was beneath half-an-inch of water within minutes.

The band completed the song but Axl pulled a translator on stage to tell the crowd that they would need to take a short brake to dry and make safe all the electrical equipment. 15 minutes later, still in pouring rain, Guns were back on the waterlogged stage finishing the set with 'Don't Cry' and 'Paradise City'. The audience, whose enthusiasm remained undampened by the weather throughout, bid them an ecstatic farewell as the band dashed drenched - and relieved - to the waiting vans

http://gunsnroses.com.pl/forum/guns-n39-roses/guns-n'-roses-tour-diary-1991-1993/

This actually made the nightly news here in Australia. I remember the news lady saying "guns n roses were stranded in south America as part of their current tour while authorities searched the plane for drugs. No drugs were found and the band was then allowed to depart. I thought 2 things, 1. if they did do drugs how much did they pay off the authorities to let them leave and 2. id like to meet the crew member who completely hid all their gear in wherever they could on the plane with little to no warning. The person would have deserved a promotion!!!!

• GNFNR 1

18 minutes ago, SOH said:

Pittsburgh 2002 was close to a riot. I was there and remember it all.

Me too. It was after 11 and the crowd started getting ugly, booing. The camera guy was getting girls to show there tits up on the big screen, which helped a little. 

I remember getting there around 5 and a policeman on a motercycle almost backed into my girlfriend. I ran my mouth at him and he threatened to arrest me, for having an attitude, what a dick. But he told the crowd that was lined up for the pit that Axl wasn't even town yet. I felt that he was trying to be a dick and get everybody worked up. 

I also remember the several inches of snow that came down while the show was going on. Great time! 

• Like 1

Rose didn't show up until 11 or 12 o clock at Newcastle 2006 and the crowd were a bit drunk and annoyed, booing Rose when he did arrive. Then almost at the end of the show, before Paradise City was played, he stomped off stage in a petulant mood and that was the end of the show for the night ladies and gents. No chance of a riot because quite frankly nobody is passionate enough about Guns N' Roses up here for that but it was a weird nasty little show.

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

Seems like the 2002 tour was an unmitigated disaster. Wonder what was going on with Axl personally - he seems even more unstable than during Illusions. :blink:

Realizing he had lost everyone (Slash mainly), his current band was shit and couldn't finish his long ass album........ it was a hell I can't describe :awesomeface:

• Haha 1