Vintage Duff Interview (2000) - End of GNR

Thanks for posting, that is quite a long interview and very detailed.  Reading all of this makes me wonder, back in 2015 I wonder how much of this inter-band drama with the yes men and with Paul Tobias and everything was talked about amongst the big 3?  I am curious as to what issues they needed to get closure on in order to make this reunion actually happen

47 minutes ago, RONIN said:

When Izzy left Guns N' Roses, he supposedly did so by the same reasons you did - because Guns were turned into a big money-making machine. Is that right? (Duff nods). Can you give us something about that and why Guns N' Roses became this money-making thing?

If you give too much to someone like Axl. Let's put it this way. If everyone around you is answering "yes" for years, if everything is reduced to "yes, yes, yes", then in your relation with other people, when someone says "no" you think that person is wrong. You're gonna tell him to fuck off! You're in this band from the start, and then suddenly everything turns autocratic, just because one person is surrounded by people saying yes to everything. It's not autocracy legally, but there is just one person thinking that's his band. Well then, keep your damned band! One can't stand it anymore. I love each and every member of Guns N' Roses, and that feeling is not going to fade away. I would do anything for them, no question. But people change. I have changed. I've got a larger goal in life now. So, what could I do? Be pissed and make a lot of money? To me, making music is not oriented to making money. If you're in it for the money, then you're in it for the wrong reason. You'll never make any good music, I tell you.

Guess we know what to expect if there's a new record. 

Why couldn't you play with him?

Man, you can't be in Guns N' Roses just like that. That was a real band. 

Interesting comment in light of Fortus and Frank being in the current lineup. 

Edited by RONIN

16 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Thanks for posting, that is quite a long interview and very detailed.  Reading all of this makes me wonder, back in 2015 I wonder how much of this inter-band drama with the yes men and with Paul Tobias and everything was talked about amongst the big 3?  I am curious as to what issues they needed to get closure on in order to make this reunion actually happen

I think Slash (or Duff?) mentioned recently in an interview that it was cool to sort of hash it all out and see where they went wrong with trusting the wrong executives, hangers-on, managers, etc. 

Doug Goldstein being out of the picture probably helped a ton as well.

Reminds me how Slashs Snakepit and Duff solo left Geffen around the same time.  iirc Duff was dropped and Slash and Geffen parted ways (because Slash didnt like the way the lable was servicing the album).  Beautiful Disease and Aint Life Grand are not my favourite Guns related albums but that doesnt mean they arent good.  I wonder if Geffen didnt value those albums due to perceived quality, or if they didnt want any Guns spin offs diluting the brand?  Or maybe Axl made demands for their exit?

13 minutes ago, Muddy said:

In duffs book he says slash never called or checked on him while he had pancreas problems , here he says slash came up to visit him?

weird how stories can change over time 

Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing. He mentioned that Axl was the only one from GnR that checked up on him and came to visit and that Slash didn't because he was probably too fucked up himself. 

11 hours ago, RONIN said:

Not long ago we were offered several shows to begin the new Millennium in Australia.

So we could have had a reunion in December 1999

Interesting

I remember Axl did an interview with Kurt Loder in November 1999 and gave this weird answer:

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=28

Loder: Have you thought about maybe taking the boys out and playing on New Year's Eve or something? Are we gonna see you before...

Rose: Nah.

Loder: : No? None of that?

Rose: Nah!

Loder: Why not?

Rose: Na-nah-na-nah!

Loder: [Laughs] It could be fun.

Rose: [Laughs]

Loder: Where are you going to be on New Year's Eve?

Rose: Have no idea.

Edited by TheSeeker
  • Haha 1

Another great find @RONIN. :thumbsup: Especially a Duff interview.  Many, many thanks.  

And can I say how stupidly thrilled I was to discover that Duff's favourite songs are My Michelle and Pretty Tied Up. :awesomeface:  

You know, there have always been inconsistencies in the guys' recollections about things, but that one about Slash 'being there' /not being there for Duff when he was hospitalised is quite a blatant slip up.  I think the guys' chop and change their stories, aka allegiances, depending on who they are pissed off with at any given time.

Do you like Slash's band, Slash's Snakepit?

Yeah, it's Slash, you know. He's fun. He drummer is very good. I haven't listened to the record. He won't let me hear it. I think he's afraid of showing it to me. He won't show it to Matt neither. I don't have a clue what the whole thing's about. I asked him whether it was crap or something. He said no. He was afraid of what we might say about it.

This made me laugh.  Really, Slash and Axl are two sides of the same coin.  They deserve each other.  Also, lol at Duff: is it crap? 

If you give too much to someone like Axl. Let's put it this way. If everyone around you is answering "yes" for years, if everything is reduced to "yes, yes, yes", then in your relation with other people, when someone says "no" you think that person is wrong. You're gonna tell him to fuck off! You're in this band from the start, and then suddenly everything turns autocratic, just because one person is surrounded by people saying yes to everything.

Suddenly?  Duff is kidding himself here.  Sure, Axl is predisposed to being a megalomaniac, but he wasn't always so bad and I'd hazard a guess it didn't happen overnight.

This interview, and especially the Marc Canter one, really highlights for me how disconnected they all were from one another and not just emotionally (it was so fun when Slash played with us for a week. Wow, a whole week) how out of touch, how badly they handled one another's numerous issues.

They all directly contributed to creating the monster that Axl became.  They knew it was happening, saw it coming and did nothing to stop it.  Duff doesn't fully acknowledge that in this interview, but you can see he's coming around to the idea, although he won't admit it until his autobiography in 2011.   If management were being Yes Men, then it should have been Guns guys against management.  Or Guns firing management.  Instead, Guns turned on one another.

By being Yes Men when they should have been mates, they fast-tracked Axl's demise (that's the final outcome, when all is said and done, as anyone who hates CD will tell you) and they fast-tracked the break up of the band.  Axl wasn't solely to blame for that, he was a symptom of a very unwell, dysfunctional band.  They each played their part, drove one another out, or to the brink.  

When you see that your mate is walking the wrong path, you do what you can to help him off that path.  They didn't because they were self-absorbed, neurotic, egotistical fucks ups too emotionally stunted and too deep in their own shitholes to help each other out of trouble. Throw in a dodgy management and dodgy lawyers keen to exploit that situation and GNR stood no chance.  

If they've changed at all over the time span of nearly 20 years since this interview, I'd like to think they've learned lessons about how to manage relationships and how to protect one another.  I'd like to think they know how to communicate to save themselves and that they've realised how important lifelong friendships are.  I'm shaking my head at the Izzy/Steven situation, but hopefully they have more tools and wits at their disposal nowadays to work out their personal problems.

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, fabrph5 said:

how exactly?  for 30 years fans wanted to see them on stage touring.  That is what they are doing!  Should they be doing it for free?  

I do not know why you are asking that particular question but read the interview. From just about every position he took his stance on he has flip-flopped into the polar opposite position!

1 hour ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Another great find @RONIN. :thumbsup: Especially a Duff interview.  Many, many thanks.  

And can I say how stupidly thrilled I was to discover that Duff's favourite songs are My Michelle and Pretty Tied Up. :awesomeface:  

You know, there have always been inconsistencies in the guys' recollections about things, but that one about Slash 'being there' /not being there for Duff when he was hospitalised is quite a blatant slip up.  I think the guys' chop and change their stories, aka allegiances, depending on who they are pissed off with at any given time.

This made me laugh.  Really, Slash and Axl are two sides of the same coin.  They deserve each other.  Also, lol at Duff: is it crap? 

Suddenly?  Duff is kidding himself here.  Sure, Axl is predisposed to being a megalomaniac, but he wasn't always so bad and I'd hazard a guess it didn't happen overnight.

This interview, and especially the Marc Canter one, really highlights for me how disconnected they all were from one another and not just emotionally (it was so fun when Slash played with us for a week. Wow, a whole week) how out of touch, how badly they handled one another's numerous issues.

They all directly contributed to creating the monster that Axl became.  They knew it was happening, saw it coming and did nothing to stop it.  Duff doesn't fully acknowledge that in this interview, but you can see he's coming around to the idea, although he won't admit it until his autobiography in 2011.   If management were being Yes Men, then it should have been Guns guys against management.  Or Guns firing management.  Instead, Guns turned on one another.

By being Yes Men when they should have been mates, they fast-tracked Axl's demise (that's the final outcome, when all is said and done, as anyone who hates CD will tell you) and they fast-tracked the break up of the band.  Axl wasn't solely to blame for that, he was a symptom of a very unwell, dysfunctional band.  They each played their part, drove one another out, or to the brink.  

When you see that your mate is walking the wrong path, you do what you can to help him off that path.  They didn't because they were self-absorbed, neurotic, egotistical fucks ups too emotionally stunted and too deep in their own shitholes to help each other out of trouble. Throw in a dodgy management and dodgy lawyers keen to exploit that situation and GNR stood no chance.  

If they've changed at all over the time span of nearly 20 years since this interview, I'd like to think they've learned lessons about how to manage relationships and how to protect one another.  I'd like to think they know how to communicate to save themselves and that they've realised how important lifelong friendships are.  I'm shaking my head at the Izzy/Steven situation, but hopefully they have more tools and wits at their disposal nowadays to work out their personal problems.

Point taken but Axl was beyond reasoning with. They would have imploded years earlier had he been confronted head on. He is not someone who will back off when he decides to do something. It took Nu Guns becoming bankrupt before that madness was finally over.

I think what Duff is trying to say was that up till Lies, even with Axl's bad behavior, the band was still relatively democratic. Management was still looking out for all of them. With the firing of Alan Niven, Doug Goldstein taking over, and Izzy/Steven's exit - the balance of power had really shifted in Axl's favor. By the end of the Illusions tour, as Slash mentioned in his book, everyone from the management to the record label execs were on Axl's side. It was his way or the highway - nothing would get done or be approved without Axl signing off. And Doug Goldstein made that situation worse by appeasing Axl and sowing the seeds of discord between him and the others to safeguard his own position in the band. 

All that being said, as you said, Duff and Slash should have grown a pair and confronted Axl without giving in and appeasing him every step of the way whenever he threw a fit. By the time they decided to confront the issue, it was already too late and they had ceded too much power to him through the lawyers/management/compromises. And Slash was passive aggressive - choosing to run away by going on tour while the band was imploding. Just because the band isn't doing anything and you want to be active doesn't mean it's a good idea to just jet out of there. By the time he came back, it was too late. Axl had already decided that he would just assume ownership of the band by leaving the partnership. There is a real case to be made that had Slash not started Snakepit and done the tour, Axl may not have decided to draw up contracts demoting them to hired hands. That's really the point where the dominos start to fall fast. 

Edited by RONIN

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

Point taken but Axl was beyond reasoning with. They would have imploded years earlier had he been confronted head on. He is not someone who will back off when he decides to do something. It took Nu Guns becoming bankrupt before that madness was finally over.

Axl didn't start off being beyond reasoning with; he got there by degrees.  A head on confrontation wouldn't work for most people, I should think. That's why they should have been smarter about how they dealt with each other when the warning signs first appeared.  They didn't deal with Axl before it was too late because a) communication skills being dire b) struggling with their own myriad issues and  c) they were lazy, drug addled, boozed up fucks and it was easier to let Axl make all the decisions.  Duff acknowledges the latter in his book, not using those words of course, but he mentions the easy part.  

Don't get me wrong, Axl has to own his shit, too, and brought a lot on himself, but they all have to own their shit (I'm guessing they have by now).  

With the firing of Alan Niven, Doug Goldstein taking over, and Izzy/Steven's exit - the balance of power had really shifted in Axl's favor. 

These power-tipping events undoubtably contributed to a toxic atmosphere within the band and increasing Axl's authority, but these events were not in themselves bombshells from out of nowhere; they were consequences.  These things happen when band members allow themselves to fail at, well, being a band and sticking together and dealing with things.  You could probably trace it all back to Steven Adler.  They handled that situation badly.  Not saying he wouldn't have been a world of trouble to deal with but, for me, that's where the threads of loyalty start to come apart. 

There is a real case to be made that had Slash not started Snakepit and done the tour, Axl may not have decided to draw up contracts demoting them to hired hands. That's really the point where the dominos start to fall fast. 

It's interesting that Axl has always accused Slash of being the one to want to 'take over the band'.  This gets glossed over a bit, or I guess people choose not to believe Axl.  I was never too sure about this accusation either but then reading Marc Canter's interview that you posted he admits Slash got 'bigheaded' around this time and he likened it to Joe Perry taking off from Aerosmith thinking he was the next big thing.  So now I find myself wondering was Axl right?  Did Slash try to get control of the band first and when he couldn't (because in a battle of wills there's only going to be one winner in that scenario) he took off and formed his own band, and to spite Axl, nicked a few songs while he was at it?  And it worked.  I have a theory that Slash's leaving and the manner in which he left almost destroyed Axl.  It took him 10 years to recover from it, and again, Marc kinda alludes to this in his interview. 

• Like 2

First time I heard of W.A.S.P. was when listening to the 2006 Eddie Trunk interview with Axl and Bach, and Bach reminisces on giving Axl a ride one day. Axl finds a W.A.S.P. cassette in the car and blasts I Wanna Be Somebody, and the two of them headbang to it. Always loved that mental image.

Good shit...I don't remember that interview at all.  The Izzy stuff- too bad, those 2 obviously had a falling out.  Slash- it's obvious he and Duff have always been tight.  Axl- wow.  The yes men part- sad.....just sad that Axl couldn't pull his pants up. 

10 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do not know why you are asking that particular question but read the interview. From just about every position he took his stance on he has flip-flopped into the polar opposite position!

Wait are you telling me that sometimes people's positions on things can change in a 16 year span!?  Wow who knew, right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

Wait are you telling me that sometimes people's positions on things can change in a 16 year span!?  Wow who knew, right?

Well yes, that is what he has done, changed his position because of money.

To go from,

If it's something democratic between the five of us, that's something I would love to do.

to reuniting with only three (of those five including himself), playing with three nugnr types instead, is a significant change indeed - allowing Adler a ''guest spot'' at his own bloody band before axing him entirely was mean-spirited indeed and speaks very badly for the three. The playing of nugnr stuff without Velvet Revolver and/or solo stuff also does not sound particularly democratic either.

Bring back the old Duff I say.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1