Vintage Duff Interview (2000) - End of GNR

11 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well yes, that is what he has done, changed his position because of money.

To go from,

to reuniting with only three (of those five including himself), playing with three nugnr types instead, is a significant change indeed - allowing Adler a ''guest spot'' at his own bloody band before axing him entirely was mean-spirited indeed and speaks very badly for the three. The playing of nugnr stuff without Velvet Revolver and/or solo stuff also does not sound particularly democratic either.

Bring back the old Duff I say

Well I don't know, do we really know what is going on behind closed doors from the "other two" (Izzy and Steven) and do we really know what talks have been going on behind closed doors in terms of material played live? Remember when Steven relapsed on the road and he even said himself he was worried that Duff didn't have the highest opinion of him at that time? That is just one of many possibilities that could possibly have have contributed to why someone is doing something different than what they did 17 years ago

All I know is I don't know what is "really" happening, and so I am not going to go on a bashing spree - because who am I to bash someone for having different actions than what they hypothetically laid out in one interview 17 years ago?

That is just my perspective

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

That was a great read. A very fascinating period for all of those affiliated with any incarnation of the band. Thanks for the share.

BBC produced a documentary about the rise and fall of Genesis, with all the members, including Peter Gabriel, sat and interviewed on certain events, some of which are debated/disagreed on. I'd love for Axl, Slash and Duff to do something similar, to share their thoughts on the breakup of the old band. Axl touched upon it at the China Exchange thing, about saying to Slash that some of the stuff he'd said over the years/in his book, didn't actually happen. Obviously that would be for our benefit, but there is so much that could be talked about, for the fans to know their own thoughts on a series of matters, and for them all to make money from doing something like that too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dean said:

That was a great read. A very fascinating period for all of those affiliated with any incarnation of the band. Thanks for the share.

BBC produced a documentary about the rise and fall of Genesis, with all the members, including Peter Gabriel, sat and interviewed on certain events, some of which are debated/disagreed on. I'd love for Axl, Slash and Duff to do something similar, to share their thoughts on the breakup of the old band. Axl touched upon it at the China Exchange thing, about saying to Slash that some of the stuff he'd said over the years/in his book, didn't actually happen. Obviously that would be for our benefit, but there is so much that could be talked about, for the fans to know their own thoughts on a series of matters, and for them all to make money from doing something like that too.

Yeah, I think that came about when a woman from the audience asked if he'd consider writing an autobiography and Axl said he'd like to but he didn't want to upset anyone by calling them a liar (or something like that) and somehow that led on to him saying one of the first things he mentioned to Slash when they 'made up' was all the lies he'd told in his book.  Like, he actually confronted Slash about it? 

And there was this little silence and then the woman said, and what did Slash have to say to that?  And Axl was about to answer her, and the interviewer ignored her and moved on to someone else's totally not-importent question, meanwhile the most important question was left unanswered!  I nearly threw something at my computer monitor when that happened! :lol:

I like your idea, too.  Pity it'll never happen.

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 2

On 17/9/2017 at 3:42 PM, Muddy said:

In duffs book he says slash never called or checked on him while he had pancreas problems , here he says slash came up to visit him?

weird how stories can change over time 

If I remember correctly, in his book he says it was Axl the one who would call him and check on him

3 hours ago, Padme said:
On 9/17/2017 at 4:42 PM, Muddy said:

In duffs book he says slash never called or checked on him while he had pancreas problems , here he says slash came up to visit him?

weird how stories can change over time 

If I remember correctly, in his book he says it was Axl the one who would call him and check on him

Yes, that is what he says in his book.

At the time of the interview, Duff, besides the issues he had with Axl, was additionally irritated with some things Axl had told Kurt Loder in the 1999 interview; mostly because Axl had "forgotten" in that interview that Duff had taken his side about Slash's songs and the direction of the band:

I want to say something against in that MTV interview. He said the he likes the Seattle sound, on the other hand, Slash and me hated the music comes out new. It's stupid, but let me do the self defense. I'm the one who brought ICE-T or Killing Joke etc. in the band and listened to other kind of music. I'm not a country boy from Indiana. I'm from Seattle!

(It's from a badly translated 1999 interview with a Japanese magazine, but we can get the general idea)

So then in return Duff "forgot" that Axl had phoned him at the hospital and visited him in Seattle. That's sort of understandable. What is weird is that he changed his story about Slash in the book.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Padme said:

Yes, in his book he said Axl was coming up to visit him and they were doing sober activities, biking, etc.

I can't remember what he said about Slash in his book but I thought there was an interview or maybe it was in his book where he said Slash kept his distance and understood why because it would force Slash to address his own issues or something?

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, that is what he says in his book.

At the time of the interview, Duff, besides the issues he had with Axl, was additionally irritated with some things Axl had told Kurt Loder in the 1999 interview; mostly because Axl had "forgotten" in that interview that Duff had taken his side about Slash's songs and the direction of the band:

I want to say something against in that MTV interview. He said the he likes the Seattle sound, on the other hand, Slash and me hated the music comes out new. It's stupid, but let me do the self defense. I'm the one who brought ICE-T or Killing Joke etc. in the band and listened to other kind of music. I'm not a country boy from Indiana. I'm from Seattle!

(It's from a badly translated 1999 interview with a Japanese magazine, but we can get the general idea)

So then in return Duff "forgot" that Axl had phoned him at the hospital and visited him in Seattle. That's sort of understandable. What is weird is that he changed his story about Slash in the book.

That's a pretty remarkable interview that you've unearthed Blackstar.

Here it is for anyone curious:

DUFF's interview from BURRN! Magazine (Dec 1999) , thanks to Yesterdaze. (English may be strange 
due to translation)

(How did this 'Live Era '87-'93' album thing happen?) 

Let me explain this. At first "Geffen Records" was bought up. AXL, Slash, and I were still partners of 
GN'R. "Seagram" was buying up everything and put them together. Contract, master tapes, everything. I 
still had one live album to release in that contract. I had the tape in my hand, but I was expected that 
somebody will use the right. And now is the time. That's great. Me and Andy Wallace were in the studio 
and mixed the album every day in last August. He is great. Slash called me up and asked me how the sound 
like, because he was busy working on his record. This album is supposed to be sent to AXL. 

It's funny thing that guys from "Universal/ Interscope" or something said they won't release the album 
unless I decide the title of the album. I said that's fine. I said "You are the people who want to release the 
album". But they were giving me mental pressure. 

Actually nobody could fire somebody in that band, because everyone was the equal partner. I quit. I left the 
band two weeks before my daughter Grace(she is two now) was born. It was not fun. That's the reason. The 
reason why I stayed in the band was to be a bridge between AXL and Slash. That's what I stick to. But I 
didn't want to stay there, cause that's not GN'R any more. There were only three guys left. What they want 
us to do? Me and AXL release the album as GN'R? 

Cocaine dealer has all kinds of drug and start to hang out with them, cause they give me drugs for free. 
That's it why we all five were falling apart. Each of us were surrounded by close friends and they all have 
their own point of view. So I had to deal with AXL and dozen of his guys, not only AXL. That's same 
situation from AXL to me. 

I want to be hard on myself. I'm very responsible. I was trying real hard. I have been sober since around '94 
and I thought we could do better when I recall and analyze. Me and AXL were getting along well and we 
had very good conversation. Three of us could keep doing together. There was no doubt about it. There was 
no progress though. And it came to the end without facing and shaking hands saying "What the fuck were 
we doing?" 

Everybody was trying to persuade me to stay in the band for money. I didn't want to stay the band. It was 
not good as it used be. It won't go well. Only three guys, not five. And AXL wanted to do something else. 
He didn't know what he was doing. I don't want to repeat what he said on MTV. If I do, it would be his 
advantage. Music wise, he was invaded completely by guys his brought. He brought a guy and said "He is 
our new guitar player." I said "What a fuck?" That's not right. That's same thing I bring a guy and say "He 
is a new member." There was no democracy. Slash started to take it seriously said "Fuck it. Is that his 
band? Since when?" That's ridiculous. 

Even if I went to rehearsal at nine at night, AXL shows up at four or five in the next morning for about two 
years. I could not keep up with the schedule. There was no respect for me. That's enough, so I quit. I went 
to dinner with AXL and his manager. He was a manager of GN'R and still AXL's. I said "AXL, We had 
very fun together, but it's your own band now. I'm not interested in you as a dictator. I didn't come here to 
talk about the money advanced for next record. You can have it. See Ya." That's it. 

(When was that you had contact with AXL last time?) 

A year ago. That means we haven't talked since he was putting live album together. Our managers talk each 
other or FedEX it back and force. It was not like Slash. I told Izzy to check out mixing. "You are in that 
album also. Come check it out." He said, "I might as well check it." 

(He was the first member who left the band.) 

Yeah, he was willing to do if the situation had fixed. To tell the truth, he visited AXL's house about two 
weeks ago. 

(Really? Are you kidding me?) 

Yes, he did visit there. But somebody told him that AXL is not there answering over the inter phone at the 
gate. First he said "Wait a minute" and he came back and said "He is gone." Izzy said "OK" and went back. 
There is always emotional thing with GN'R. At least the old GN'R. 

I want to say something against in that MTV interview. He said the he likes the Seattle sound, on the other 
hand, Slash and me hated the music comes out new. It's stupid, but let me do the self defense. I'm the one 
who brought ICE-T or Killing Joke etc. in the band and listened to other kind of music. I'm not a country 
boy from Indiana. I'm from Seattle! 

(What do you think about AXL's shitty story or what he's saying? It is different, that's obvious.) 

I'm planning to fix the story that I got fired. The reason I didn't say anything is that is OK with me knowing 
only myself about how it happened. I don't care what the rumor is, fired or I quit, cause I know what I have 
done. I heard something that AXL was fucked up by Slash. More I heard, more stimulated to save 
friendship. Don't say badly about me or Slash! Stop it! 

I worked so hard and did as much as I could do to keep running the band and recognize the greatest band in 
this century. That's OK to say things about me, but I live my life frankly and have responsibility. If I do 
wrong, that hurts myself. I don't care what other people say. I did care about was lying this time. And that 
was very big one. I don't want to ruin the history what I was the part of the creation for rock n' roll. I 
couldn't stand that it was insulted by my friend when I watched that interview. He is just looking for excuse 
to make his band bigger. That's fine, but Do not make me involved in. Slash is a killer rock n' roll guitar 
player and treat guy. AXL was not able to live in Malibu without us playing on the stage. Most important 
thing to him now is to make all the lies put it together and not to be contradicted. That's no way to make 
Slash to be involved. Finally that made me stand up for it. He has what he's saying. Off course each one of 
us has some. And there's the truth. A lot of things have been happening, but now I think I could show my 
status. 

(What was the best thing of GN'R?) 

I would say relationship of the unit. 

(What was the biggest pit?) 

Success. I got no doubt about it.

Edited by RONIN

I don't think I've read anything from Duff that has captured him in such a frustrated state of mind. That interview is even more revealing than the one I put up.

1999 must have been a difficult year for Duff - maybe him and Slash finally realized that Axl was really going to push ahead with the new band and move on without them. Live Era appears to close the book definitively on the classic band in more ways than one personally and professionally. It was the final nail in the coffin/bullet in the head for any kind of reunion/reconciliation.

Some initial thoughts:

*It appears that Izzy and Duff were trying till the very end to save the band and bring Slash back into the fold. It's Axl and Slash who appear to have walked away from it all.

*Axl didn't know what the fuck he was doing - no musical direction. He was playing musical chairs with the lineup to creatively inspire him which alienated Duff even further.

*Duff bringing up that he is from Seattle and not a country kid like Axl is classic. Never knew that he was the one who was introducing Axl to different kinds of music like grunge, hip/hop,etc - it makes sense now thinking about it.

*Axl has taken a shot at Duff in the MTV interview which I agree is uncalled for and a flat out lie. No wonder Duff is upset in the interview.

*The interview confirms further that Izzy wanted to return to the band in some capacity - the last ditch effort being him going to Axl's house and trying to see him unsuccessfully. 

*Both Duff and Slash seem to bring up the attrition of the band over and over again. How it was absurd and unthinkable to do it without the others. It seems to be a core ideological stance that has shifted w/ NITL. Why is it different now? In '97, Izzy had been gone 6 years. Steven, 7 years. Maybe Duff is speaking to the shock of losing Slash and Matt in the span of less than a year?  In this same interview Duff says in so many words that he mentioned to Axl that the three of them would be fine carrying GnR into the future. So perhaps even then, he saw Axl, Slash and himself as the core of the band.

These final years of the classic band during the late 90's are incredibly fascinating to read about. Wish there were more detailed interviews of that time.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 2

On 9/17/2017 at 1:38 PM, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Axl didn't start off being beyond reasoning with; he got there by degrees.  A head on confrontation wouldn't work for most people, I should think. That's why they should have been smarter about how they dealt with each other when the warning signs first appeared.  They didn't deal with Axl before it was too late because a) communication skills being dire b) struggling with their own myriad issues and  c) they were lazy, drug addled, boozed up fucks and it was easier to let Axl make all the decisions.  Duff acknowledges the latter in his book, not using those words of course, but he mentions the easy part.  

Don't get me wrong, Axl has to own his shit, too, and brought a lot on himself, but they all have to own their shit (I'm guessing they have by now).  

I think you're letting off Axl a bit too lightly here but for sure they're culpable - mostly in being passive and not taking the reins decisively enough although apparently Slash was extremely involved in the PR and even financial dealings of the band. There was intra-band friction creatively between Axl and Slash starting with Lies but it looks like Slash figured it was better to let Axl get his way for the sake of moving the band forward. Appeasement to avoid conflict. That seems to have ultimately backfired. Not checking Axl's power moves were a mistake however, I think the band would have broken up in 1989 if Slash, Izzy and Duff had not gone along with the program. We may never have gotten UYI had they confronted the situation as Alan Niven wanted them to.

These power-tipping events undoubtably contributed to a toxic atmosphere within the band and increasing Axl's authority, but these events were not in themselves bombshells from out of nowhere; they were consequences.  These things happen when band members allow themselves to fail at, well, being a band and sticking together and dealing with things.  You could probably trace it all back to Steven Adler.  They handled that situation badly.  Not saying he wouldn't have been a world of trouble to deal with but, for me, that's where the threads of loyalty start to come apart. 

Fair point. I think as you said before, they were trying to avoid dealing with what was happening and retreated into substance abuse as an escape which just spiraled things out of control faster. 

It's interesting that Axl has always accused Slash of being the one to want to 'take over the band'.  This gets glossed over a bit, or I guess people choose not to believe Axl.  I was never too sure about this accusation either but then reading Marc Canter's interview that you posted he admits Slash got 'bigheaded' around this time and he likened it to Joe Perry taking off from Aerosmith thinking he was the next big thing.  So now I find myself wondering was Axl right?  Did Slash try to get control of the band first and when he couldn't (because in a battle of wills there's only going to be one winner in that scenario) he took off and formed his own band, and to spite Axl, nicked a few songs while he was at it?  And it worked.  I have a theory that Slash's leaving and the manner in which he left almost destroyed Axl.  It took him 10 years to recover from it, and again, Marc kinda alludes to this in his interview. 

Not sure I agree here. The translation for Slash "taking over the band" = Slash standing his ground and not making any further concessions. I think Slash felt he had made so many compromises with Illusions that he wanted to turn back the clock and get the creative control he had during AFD/LIES - unfortunately he had ceded too much power to Axl and there was no going back. Releasing a solo album and touring with Snakepit was Slash calling Axl's bluff and saying, "okay, you just want to tinker in the studio with a few of these songs and reject most of what I did? Cool, then I'll just tour it all myself." Axl was shown up and I think that the anger and humiliation over losing future GnR material and Slash defying him led to the disastrous idea of drawing up contracts and demoting everyone.

Essentially a power play to prevent another Snakepit like situation from happening. I think he realized that he couldn't continue without Slash legally and that all of the partners could checkmate each other - only logical move would be to demote the other partners so he could proceed in whatever fashion he wanted unimpeded and control their activities in the band as well.  It appears from all these interviews that the 1996 album was going to be a compilation album like Use your Illusion with a potpourri of different styles and sounds. 

I think had Axl given in for once and let Slash do his cock rock GnR album, it may have saved the band. But if Slash had requested no changes and to "Just shutup and sing" - well, then it's no wonder that fell apart. The only guy who could have saved the situation was Duff and it looks like he gave up when Robin Finck was recruited into the band as a permanent addition (Duff quit after 1 or 2 jam sessions with Finck). That probably killed any hope of Slash rejoining the band and Duff didn't want to continue without Slash.

• Like 1

"I think had Axl given in for once and let Slash do his cock rock GnR album, it may have saved the band. But if Slash had requested no changes and to "Just shutup and sing" - well, then it's no wonder that fell apart".  Wasn't this the case?. I remember seeing an interview and I cant remember if it on this site where Axl talks about how slash approached the illusions sessions where Slash is in the studio and axl is doing vocals and slash was wanting axl to sing a certain way and threatening to burn the masters if axl didn't agree. Would liked to have been a fly on the wall during the illusion recordings.

3 hours ago, RONIN said:

These final years of the classic band during the late 90's are incredibly fascinating to read about. Wish there were more detailed interviews of that time.

I don't know if you have looked through my site, and I haven't come round to sorting all the interviews and putting them in the drop-down menu (only as far as 1994 yet), but I have lots of interviews from this period. Check here and browse through the pages (NB: they are not sorted chronologically, yet): http://www.a-4-d.com/f19p350-gn-r-interview-archive

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

"I think had Axl given in for once and let Slash do his cock rock GnR album, it may have saved the band. But if Slash had requested no changes and to "Just shutup and sing" - well, then it's no wonder that fell apart".  Wasn't this the case?. I remember seeing an interview and I cant remember if it on this site where Axl talks about how slash approached the illusions sessions where Slash is in the studio and axl is doing vocals and slash was wanting axl to sing a certain way and threatening to burn the masters if axl didn't agree. Would liked to have been a fly on the wall during the illusion recordings.

Slash was only in the studio once while Axl was doing vocals. And that was because he wanted "goddamn it" for Coma sung right. That master tapes story sounds like huge bullshit

4 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

That wasn't Illusions, it was what became the first Snakepit album. 

"I have the rehearsal tapes. There's nothing but Slash-based blues rock and he stopped it to both go solo and try to completely take over Guns. I read all this if Axl would've put words and melodies on it could've... I was specifically told no lyrics, no melodies, no changes to anything and to sing what I was told or fuck off.

Edited by -W.A.R-

Im still unclear on how Slash brought material to Axl and Slash said not to make any changes.  Does this mean that the Snakepit songs that were ostensibly written for Guns already had Dover collaborating on lyrics and vocals?

Because Dover wrote or cowrote all the lyrics and melody on 5 o'clock somewhere.   If Slash had written earlier drafts on his own and wasnt willing to let Axl tinker with lyrics and melody why on Earth would he let Dover?   And Dover is said to have written 100% of Beggars lyric and melody - a track that Duff has a writing credit on that we have video of them working on on UYI tour.

What are the complete tracks Slash brought forward for Axl to simply preform and who wrote them and when?  And if Dover was involved did Axl know who wrote it?

6 minutes ago, soon said:

Im still unclear on how Slash brought material to Axl and Slash said not to make any changes.  Does this mean that the Snakepit songs that were ostensibly written for Guns already had Dover collaborating on lyrics and vocals?

Because Dover wrote or cowrote all the lyrics and melody on 5 o'clock somewhere.   If Slash had written earlier drafts on his own and wasnt willing to let Axl tinker with lyrics and melody why on Earth would he let Dover?   And Dover is said to have written 100% of Beggars lyric and melody - a track that Duff has a writing credit on that we have video of them working on on UYI tour.

What are the complete tracks Slash brought forward for Axl to simply preform and who wrote them and when?  And if Dover was involved did Axl know who wrote it?

I assumed he means general song structures/melodies which he had written and which Axl would have had to work around

2 minutes ago, seely said:

I assumed he means general song structures/melodies which he had written and which Axl would have had to work around

Some of the Axl speak leaves room for that understanding, but imo when Axl says he was told to "sing what I was told or fuck off" it seems to be referring to finished lyrics and melody?

10 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't know if you have looked through my site, and I haven't come round to sorting all the interviews and putting them in the drop-down menu (only as far as 1994 yet), but I have lots of interviews from this period. Check here and browse through the pages (NB: they are not sorted chronologically, yet): http://www.a-4-d.com/f19p350-gn-r-interview-archive

Great site!!!Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Blackstar said:

It's from a badly translated 1999 interview with a Japanese magazine, but we can get the general idea)

Thanks for link @Blackstar  I'm loving all these Duff interviews.  

I'm aware that the bad translation could make for some confusing statements but there are a few thing oddities that crop up.

Interscope wouldn't release the album unless Duff decided on a title and this put pressure on him?  

I have no idea what kind of business or management strategy that is, but it sounds bizarre to say the least.  What kind of pressure is Duff talking about here: the pressure to come up with a title, or the pressure of having to decide the title and what if Axl doesn't like it?  Why would Interscope put their band in a potentially divisive situation like that?  

Duff chose to stay in the band to act as a bridge between Axl and Slash.  

Interesting that in an interview just a couple of years ago (I think it was a Jericho one actually) when asked about that role, Duff hesitates to admit it, stammers over his words quite a bit and finally says,  "I used to be."  He then in a very round-about way implies he no longer sees himself as the bridge man, and seemingly to avoid addressing the issue further prattles on about his identity.  Which is another interesting u-turn of his, given that most fans believe Duff was the one responsible for bringing about the current reunion.  If Duff really didn't act as mediator this time, how did the current reunion come about?

Axl wanted to do something else.  He didn't know what he was doing.  

Which one is it?  Something lost in translation here? Axl was confused, indecisive?  I'm guessing the latter.  I think @Blackstar already mentioned that contrary to popular belief, Axl didn't want to go full steam ahead with a weird industrial album, but didn't really know what he wanted to do.

He went to dinner (to quit) with Axl and his manager.  

Way to go Axl, way to manage relationships...take your manager along.:facepalm:  I really think this is the sort of behaviour from Axl that drove them away at last.  After all, it wasn't like his diva antics, control freakery and general asshole ways were anything new or different.  Those things they'd been tolerating since they knew him and would have continued tolerating if a) there had been some semblance of musical cohesion/progress and b) he hadn't started talking at them through his mangers and lawyers and whatnot.  

Izzy went to Axl's house and got turned away.  I didn't know that.  I knew he once went to Axl's house and Axl wouldn't let him inside because he was still angry with him for leaving the band - but he did speak to Izzy outside of the house.  So was Axl really not there?  Or was he there and Beta turned Izzy away without telling Axl that he'd turned up?  Makes you wonder.  

So that's two 'what happened at Axl's house' mysteries.  I'd love to know the truth behind Slash showing up that time. 

I heard something that AXL was fucked up by Slash. More I heard, more stimulated to save 
friendship. Don't say badly about me or Slash! Stop it!

I don't understand this.  Translation is bad so hard to guess with any kind of accuracy.  Anyone got an interpretation?  

Axl was fucked up, as in screwed over, or fucked up as in driven to an emotional wreck (which is my theory).  

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, soon said:

Axl was lying.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Axl was lying.

Sure, possibly, as it is just Axls word.  But Axls word is a lot more trustworthy than Slash's.  Slash did of course actually take off with the songs rather then make changes to them after all.

Was Slashing telling Axl how to sing or telling Axl to just sing the songs without picking them apart and adding infinite amounts of bells and whistles with no definite plan to ever release them?

I think it's the latter unless there was the possibility Axl was already considering changing his singing style to protect his vocal chords and Mickey-ing it

Edited by Top-Hatted One