Mass Shooting, Las Vegas, 10/01/2017

RussTCB

8 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Has any country that allowed guns banned them, if you get what i mean? We've never had them here  

Yes we have.

We had assault rifles until Hungerford. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungerford_massacre

We had hand guns until Dunblane. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_massacre

They were both banned after each of those incidents. 

We've not had a recurrence since. 

Must be just a coincidence eh? ;) 

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

The UK does not have the same gun culture America does. You really think banning guns in America would work?

Agreed. It's such a clusterfuck of opinions on both sides that the issue is never going to get solved.

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

I am still upset about this. I just can't get my head around the whole guns debate. Why do Americans feel the need to have a gun? Is it really that normal for your average guy to have a gun? How easy is it to get a gun there? 

Its as easy as popping into ASDA in some places I'm led to believe, like the sports section, i think they have a two week period where you leave em ID and they check that you aint a nutter or something, a yank could probably better answer the question.

Why do they feel the need?  Its in their constitution, their Magna Carta, the right to bear arms to defend yourself from tyranny, I'm all for it personally.  Everytime someone goes fuckin mental they always wanna take guns off the people that didnt do it, i dont get it myself.  Also i think its kinda patronising, the nanny state and that, you cant have this and you cant have that.

Particularly I think when people from other countries think they can dictate to the yanks what they should and shouldn't be allowed, Americans know better about the American experience than someone living in Watford, so take it away yanks!

Theres an inherent paranoia to the American Constitution i think, which I suppose is understandable being as how they nicked the country off Geronimos boys, gotta make sure it dont get nicked off us now, logical paranoia.

23 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Its as easy as popping into ASDA in some places I'm led to believe, like the sports section, i think they have a two week period where you leave em ID and they check that you aint a nutter or something, a yank could probably better answer the question.

Particularly I think when people from other countries think they can dictate to the yanks what they should and shouldn't be allowed, Americans know better about the American experience than someone living in Watford, so take it away yanks!

Theres gun show loopholes that allow for more direct sales. 

No, Americans dont know whats best for them.  Case in point: this massacre.  I can tell you first hand that gun culture is the USA is creepy AF!

Like I've hung out with geriatric hippy, anti-nuke activists on a gun range who try and convert me to veganism between volleys of bullets from an AK 47 at a human effigy.  If that isnt backwards enough: bullets aint cheap for these "live simply" collectivists either.

Edited by soon

4 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

@Len Cnut I ain't feeling this pro gun stuff at all. It's bollocks mate.

I've always been massively pro guns, to me its just a...thing, an object you do shit with, i dont think restrictive practise in that regard is really solving what makes me people go out and shoot and a bunch of people, then you get into the whole ease of access to an efficient killing machine thing.  I dunno, I just kinda like the yanks as they are I guess, theres nothing about that culture that I care to impose change upon, I thinks its perhaps better understood from those that come from it.  I understand its not a popular opinion that i hold over here.

I dont reckon their taking the shooters from John Waynes boys anytime soon either way.

Edited by Len Cnut

22 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

The UK does not have the same gun culture America does. You really think banning guns in America would work?

What I'm sure would happen is criminal organizations would have an increase in revenue, bad people who want guns would still get them, America's hyper militarized police force would have another cross to get up on.

True. Exactly what happened here in Brazil.

14 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Why do they feel the need?  Its in their constitution, their Magna Carta, the right to bear arms to defend yourself from tyranny, I'm all for it personally.  Everytime someone goes fuckin mental they always wanna take guns off the people that didnt do it, i dont get it myself.  Also i think its kinda patronising, the nanny state and that, you cant have this and you cant have that.

Theres an inherent paranoia to the American Constitution i think, which I suppose is understandable being as how they nicked the country off Geronimos boys, gotta make sure it dont get nicked off us now, logical paranoia.

I haven't bought or owned a gun in years but last time I bought a handgun, I walked in, picked out the one I wanted...they ran an instant background check using my driver's license and I walked out with the Glock.  Entire process took about 20 minutes. Depending on the state, some do but others no longer have any sort of "waiting period.".

1 minute ago, Kasanova King said:

I haven't bought or owned a gun in years but last time I bought a handgun, I walked in, picked out the one I wanted...they ran an instant background check using my driver's license and I walked out with the Glock.  Entire process took about 20 minutes. Depending on the state, some do but others no longer have any sort of "waiting period.".

Out of interest, being that I know that you're...well, an average guy like most of us on here that ain't got tits (and some of us that do, not mentioning any names McLeod :D ), why did you get one?

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Out of interest, being that I know that you're...well, an average guy like most of us on here that ain't got tits (and some of us that do, not mentioning any names McLeod :D ), why did you get one?

Mostly for home/personal  defense. At the time I was a sales director at a large car dealership and would routinely be the last person out of the dealership/locking it up at night etc..figured better safe than sorry.  

I also used to enjoy shooting/target practice.  Took and passed my test for a conceiled carry permit just never sent it in.  Realized there would be just as good a chance of a mistake happening with the pistol then me actually using it to defend myself so I got rid of it.

I had a nice shotgun at the time as well....if I ever shot that thing off in my house (I had.double ott buck shots for it....basically 8-9 rounds per blast would come out of the thing)...there would have been a good chance that I would have shot through walls, etc....so got rid of that as well.

Just now, Kasanova King said:

Mostly for home/personal  defense. At the time I was a sales director at a large car dealership and would routinely be the last person out of the dealership/locking it up at night etc..figured better safe than sorry.  

I also used to enjoy shooting/target practice.  Took and passed my test for a conceiled carry permit just never sent it in.  Realized there would be just as good a chance of a mistake happening with the pistol then me actually using it to defend myself so I got rid of it.

I had a nice shotgun at the time as well....if I ever shot that thing off in my house (I had.double ott buck shots for it....basically 8-9 rounds per blast would come out of the thing)...there would have been a good chance that I would have shot through walls, etc....so got rid of that as well.

And not an innocent was slain, see folks, it can be done!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

2 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Good for you king!  Bought a gun out of fear (closing at dealership).  And got rid of it out of common sense.  That can be done, folks!

Edited by soon
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, soon said:

Good for you king!  Bought a and gun out of fear (closing at dealership).  And got rid of it out of common sense.  That can be done, folks!

Thanks...lol.

I will say though that if I ever live in a rural area, I won't have any issues with going out and getting at least a shotgun for home defense.  My family's house in Italy is in a rural area where the average police response time can be longer than 15-20 minutes so us having shotguns and rifles there is pretty much a necessity.  Not that there's a bad crime rate there but there's no real immediate police protection either. 

22 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Still doesn't change the fact that there's only one Western democracy where these mass shooting events happen again, and again, and again.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Thanks...lol.

I will say though that if I ever live in a rural area, I won't have any issues with going out and getting at least a shotgun for home defense.  My family's house in Italy is in a rural area where the average police response time can be longer than 15-20 minutes so us having shotguns and rifles there is pretty much a necessity.  Not that there's a bad crime rate there but there's no real immediate police protection either. 

it just as easy to accidentally shoot your own leg in the country as it is in the city :) 

Edited by soon

5 minutes ago, soon said:

it just as easy to accidentally shoot your own leg in the country as it is in the city :) 

Ha..yeah I'll take the chance.  The one thing I've learned by having guns in the past is how to use them safely...sure, accidents like that could happen but the type of accidents I was referring to in my post would be accidently firing through a wall and it hitting a neighbor, etc.

I currently live in a condo so having a gun here doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  I have neighbors next door and downstairs...the walls to their homes are attached to mine so there could be a chance that if I fired (especially a shotgun) that it could enter their home...and that's not something I'm comfortable with.  Living out in the country, where your neighbor is dozens (if not more) yards away, that likely wouldn't happen .  It's all about common sense. ;)

And not to mention that if I called the police here, they would be here in less than 2-3 minutes....in the country it could take 10x as long. 

1 minute ago, Kasanova King said:

Ha..yeah I'll take the chance.  The one thing I've learned by having guns in the past is how to use them safely...sure, accidents like that could happen but the type of accidents I was referring to in my post would be accidently firing through a wall and it hitting a neighbor, etc.

I currently live in a condo so having a gun here doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  I have neighbors next door and downstairs...the walls to their homes are attached to mine so there could be a chance that if I fired (especially a shotgun) that it could enter their home...and that's not something I'm comfortable with.  Living out in the country, where your neighbor is dozens (if not more) yards away, that likely wouldn't happen .  It's all about common sense. ;)

And not to mention that if I called the police here, they would be here in less than 2-3 minutes....in the country it could take 10x as long. 

Yep, fair.  Same here in Canada.  I appreciate your responsibility.  And glad we both know that we don't need assault riffles to protect loved ones in the rare eventuality that a rural home is invaded with serious force.

I'd go with riffle because Im too good a shot to need a shot gun :P

• Haha 1

The girlfriend who is supposedly either in the Philippines or Hong Kong has been named a "person of interest" now according to some sources.  He wired $100k to the Philippines weeks ago...and now the Sheriff wants to know if he was somehow "radicalized".    Other, far/alt right sources are also reporting that there was Antifa/Radicalized literature, along with pictures of his girlfriend traveling the middle-east found in his room/ in his property. The girlfriend is also starting to become highly suspicious imo . ...and apparently, the ISIS claims that he may have joined their cause/done this for them, may not be that far-fetched.  

Edited by Kasanova King

48 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

The girlfriend who is supposedly either in the Philippines or Hong Kong has been named a "person of interest" now according to some sources.  He wired $100k to the Philippines weeks ago...and now the Sheriff wants to know if he was somehow "radicalized".    Other, far/alt right sources are also reporting that there was Antifa/Radicalized literature, along with pictures of his girlfriend traveling the middle-east found in his room/ in his property. The girlfriend is also starting to become highly suspicious imo . ...and apparently, the ISIS claims that he may have joined their cause/done this for them, may not be that far-fetched.  

Except ISIS couldn't name the shooter when they took credit for the attack.  They've done it before where they had no affiliation with the attacker.

42 minutes ago, downzy said:

Except ISIS couldn't name the shooter when they took credit for the attack.  They've done it before where they had no affiliation with the attacker.

Oh, I still think it's a long shot, that somehow this wealthy, retired guy became radicalized all of a sudden....I'm just piecing together the latest rumours.  I think the FBI and the police know a lot more than what they are disclosing to the public atm...especially since they have yet to release any of his cell phone, personal computer information, video evidence from the hotel, video evidence from cameras he set up, etc....I think a lot more will come out within the next few days and we will get a clearer picture.  One thing I'm pretty sure of is that this wasn't just some "crazy guy" that went on a rampage....something had to set him off.

Edited by Kasanova King