Homeschooling - how common is it where you are?

soon

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I am not criticising you if you do it but what does that say about the snobbery in this country, that you would feel the need to do that?

Its not just this country though is it, they have good and crap schools around the world and if you go to one of the good ones you tend to get on in life.

48 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Its not just this country though is it, they have good and crap schools around the world and if you go to one of the good ones you tend to get on in life.

Prince Harry had access to the best education money could buy - Wetherby, Ludgrove, Eton - and ended up with two A-Levels, art and geography (D)! Vice versa, people can progress to Oxbridge degrees via bog standard state-comprehensives.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Prince Harry had access to the best education money could buy - Wetherby, Ludgrove, Eton - and ended up with two A-Levels, art and geography (D)! Vice versa, people can progress to Oxbridge degrees via bog standard state-comprehensives.

True but the connections you make there can make all the difference in the job market too.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a believer in education for its own sake and actually learning some fuckin' shit but this is the way all this crap is looked at by a great many.  I got a cousin, nothing special academically, didn't do all that well at the private school he went to but what he did get was a better class of company, he didn't hang around with all us fuckin' wasters and like...he's really got on and it's literally through the mates he made in that school.  And it's the same for a great many, all that who you know not what you know bollocks.  

You're right about the Oxbridge degrees via bog standard state comprehensive, met a few of those too.

7 hours ago, Dazey said:

Fees are £33 a day

That is so cheap. i had a butchers at the website and they do whole days (nursery) for £53 that's a good deal, my daughter pays just under £100 a day for nursery here. I never knew that there was that much difference in North/South costs.

17 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

That is so cheap. i had a butchers at the website and they do whole days (nursery) for £53 that's a good deal, my daughter pays just under £100 a day for nursery here. I never knew that there was that much difference in North/South costs.

Circa £1.80 for a pint of Ruddles in an 'oop north 'spoons. (Just lowered the conversation).

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Circa £1.80 for a pint of Ruddles in an 'oop north 'spoons. (Just lowered the conversation).

well i don't know what a pint of anything costs down here. Is everything cheaper? i know the houses are but what about shopping surely that's the same everywhere?

Edited by janrichmond

Just now, janrichmond said:

well i don't know what a pint of anything costs down here. Is everything cheaper? i know the houses are but what about shops?

There is such a concept as the £10 pint in London! Aggers on TMS was speaking about his first experience of being confronted with the £10 pint. We can literally drink five pints to a Londoner's one. No wonder they are so weak livered, Londoners.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

There is such a concept as the £10 pint in London! Aggers on TMS was speaking about his first experience of being confronted with the £10 pint. We can literally drink five pints to a Londoner's one. No wonder they are so weak livered, Londoners.

I was in Monte Carlo last week and it was £16 for a pint. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

@Gracii Guns What the fuck does "eyy up, big and brassaaaay" mean?

eyy up is...sort of a greeting used by this foul wretched embittered dole scrounging quasi-communistic breed of sub-humans known as 'Yorkshireman'.  Historically they worked in coal mines, ate horseshit sandwiches and think they can drink because a pint glass consists of 90% head and 10% actual ale.  The up is pronounced oop due to centuries of beastiality doing funny things to their speech patterns. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

No sympathy needed, thanks though Goaty. I'd still rather be a Yorkshire lass than an estate agent. But that's the quasi-communistic aspect of my personality shining through. :lol: 

Come to that I’d rather be a yorkshire lass than an Estate Agent :lol:

• Haha 1

I’m actually currently homeschooling my daughter. There’s no cut and dry right and wrong. It wasn’t an easy decision to make and is a lot of work. I’d be happy to answer any of your questions. It seems to be more and more common as our local school systems get worse. We definitely aren’t your stereotypical homeschool family, and thankfully most of the parents I’ve seen at the group outings aren’t either.