Shadow of War

OmarBradley

Just a few days away. I've been waiting for this since the moment I finished the first one in 2014. Anyone else going to be playing this? I'm excited to see how they've refined the last one (not that it needed much refinement). I've been avoiding the promotional materials/gameplay previews for the most part. But the few things I have seen look excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

Have about 8-9 hours on the game. Story is a bit unconvincing, but the story is far from what makes this series great.

Gameplay and mechanics are a bit refined from the first one (in a good way). SoW feels like a revamped SoM, and I'm fine with that.

I would like to see more of Middle Earth, as it looks like we're staying mostly in Mordor and eastern Gondor (but I can see why this is the case, given the story). But, gameplay/mechanics and the characters are so good that I really don't care about the minor story-related shortcomings.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2017 at 2:29 PM, OmarBradley said:

Have about 8-9 hours on the game. Story is a bit unconvincing, but the story is far from what makes this series great.

Gameplay and mechanics are a bit refined from the first one (in a good way). SoW feels like a revamped SoM, and I'm fine with that.

I would like to see more of Middle Earth, as it looks like we're staying mostly in Mordor and eastern Gondor (but I can see why this is the case, given the story). But, gameplay/mechanics and the characters are so good that I really don't care about the minor story-related shortcomings.

Just wanted to amend my comments on the story. It really picks up at the end of Act I. I'm midway through Act II, and the story has certainly reached SoW's story quality. Now my only two complains about the game are:

1). Talion is almost too agile/too fast. In a CC situation, it can be tough to keep a specific target (ie: captain/warchief) locked on.

2). The skill tree system doesn't feel as elaborate as it looks. I'm level 30, and I genuinely have every skill that I want (including the final skills from several trees).

Minor complaints though. This is a 9.3/10 game IMO.