The Sleep And Insomnia Thread

soon

A thread about sleep, achieving sleep and sharing our struggles to get there.

Do you struggle with sleep?  Or if you've solved your issue, what did you find helpful?

I'll get us started. I have environmental issues, physical issues and a racing mind making falling asleep, and staying asleep, difficult. 

My biggest success at improving my sleep is taking magnesium.  Magnesium helps the body stay asleep.  Its also essential to help the body absorb calcium and calcium aides in falling asleep.  Good news: dark chocolate is very high in magnesium.  As little as two squares gets you started with a good percent of your daily value.  I spray magnesium oil on my skin everyday.  It's helped a lot.

Although I don't suffer from sleep problems, as already stated, here are my suggestions for always falling asleep within 10 minutes: Be really exhausted, have plenty of small kids, always get up early. Nothing helps you fall asleep quickly as being constantly sleep deprived. It is brilliant!

28 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Yes. Some weeks I don't even have to think about closing my eyes and some weeks I struggle to get even 2 hours of sleep. I take light sleeping pills sometimes but they dont always work :( 

Ive tried some teas and have a similar experience where sometimes they help and sometimes they do nothing.  Its super frustrating.

Only 2 hours is brutal!  Sometimes thats me.  Id say I average 4.

there is a zooming sound audible in my bedroom at night. An irregular bass sound. It's driving me nuts. I'm not sleeping much any more. :(

I've have stuck my head in every closet ans layed my ear on every wall. Can't find where it's coming from. 

Earplugs do not mute the sound. I tried different verieties of earplugs, but all only seem to filter out the high tones well.

10 minutes ago, Ender04 said:

there is a zooming sound audible in my bedroom at night. An irregular bass sound. It's driving me nuts. I'm not sleeping much any more. :(

I've have stuck my head in every closet ans layed my ear on every wall. Can't find where it's coming from. 

Earplugs do not mute the sound. I tried different verieties of earplugs, but all only seem to filter out the high tones well.

That sounds horrible!  All summer I had a similar experience that I just solved.  In my case it was that neighbouring apartments air conditioners were vibrating the very old hot water heating pipes in the wall and apparently I live where a major intersection of pipes run though the wall - the "bulk head" its called.  Since its empty in the summer they were amplifying the hum/buzz of air conditioners.  It drove my crazy many nights.  Its cold now so will have relief until next summer.

Hope you can figure out what it is and that its something you can solve.  Where i live there is actually a government program that will come and do an investigation.  Hope you have that there too.

• Thanks 1

Lavender is a dead good natural way of helping you drift off. The main cause of lavender prevention is my husband hates the scent. If I didn't have a husband who can snore like a flooding siren then I wouldn't need the lavender in the first place. :lol:

Used to have a few traumatic issues when I was younger which kept me awake far longer than my body could cope with. Kalms didn't work. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

Lavender is a dead good natural way of helping you drift off. The main cause of lavender prevention is my husband hates the scent. If I didn't have a husband who can snore like a flooding siren then I wouldn't need the lavender in the first place. :lol:

Haha, what a vicious cycle!

Lavender is great.  I go through periods of not liking its scent too.  Its doubly good for sleep related things as it also acts as an antihistamine which can combat the allergy symptoms caused by dust mites.  Lavender filled pillows are great for both.

I can sleep fine most of the time. My biggest problem is that I don't like going to bed, unless I'm ill or particularly tired I feel at my best in the early hours so I push it further than I should. I'm a bit anti social at heart so I like having a silent house all to myself and this rarely happens before midnight.

I slightly regret it every single morning but never learn. :lol:

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I have ALWAYS had trouble getting to sleep. It takes me 1-2 hours to nod off, once i'm sleeping i'm fine and don't wake until the alarm goes off. I've tried herbal stuff,lavender and prescription tablets and none worked.

That sucks!  And youre an old women so you've been suffering along time! :lol:

Therapeutic pillows or mattress things maybe?

14 minutes ago, alfierose said:

I can sleep fine most of the time. My biggest problem is that I don't like going to bed, unless I'm ill or particularly tired I feel at my best in the early hours so I push it further than I should. I'm a bit anti social at heart so I like having a silent house all to myself and this rarely happens before midnight.

I slightly regret it every single morning but never learn. :lol:

I never thought about it but I think one of my issues might actually be that too:  needing to have some silent space to myself.  

The plight of the anti social night owl! :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soon said:

:lol: But its her signature!  I left out "grumpy" because Ive never seen anything grumpy from Jan.  

The grumpy is a bit misleading :lol: and today i feel extra old as i had my Grandson from 9am until 6pm, he's 2 and has a LOT of energy. #old:P #knackeredgrandma

Just now, janrichmond said:

The grumpy is a bit misleading :lol: and today i feel extra old as i had my Grandson from 9am until 6pm, he's 2 and has a LOT of energy. #old:P #knackeredgrandma

It really is misleading! 

Thats tiring for anyone!  Hopefully it helps you fall asleep faster tonight

• Like 1

Yes, I do.

I take a sleeping pill every night. Sometimes it works sometimes I'm up until 3:00 am.

I take medication that I think is making it hard for me to sleep. It's one of the side effects, so since I need to take this pill, I have to take a sleeping pill too. Sometimes I take a nap during the day to catch up.

It sucks. I don't know how people go days or weeks without sleeping. I would go crazy.

Now I understand how so many people take more pills than you should to sleep. I just lay there and try to clear my mind, but since I worry about so much shit sometimes it's difficult to turn off my brain.

I've always been a terrible sleeper, takes me forever to get to sleep, and I wake up at the tiniest sound.. if i'm away from home, I don't sleep a wink. I finally got some prescription sleeping pills, but I try not to take them much, as within 2-7 days after taking one I always burst a blood vessel in my eye. Gross I know, sorry :lol: but has anyone ever heard of that side effect before? So it's a no-win situation..feel like a zombie bc of no sleep, or actually look like a zombie but feel great. lol.

33 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

I've always been a terrible sleeper, takes me forever to get to sleep, and I wake up at the tiniest sound.. if i'm away from home, I don't sleep a wink. I finally got some prescription sleeping pills, but I try not to take them much, as within 2-7 days after taking one I always burst a blood vessel in my eye. Gross I know, sorry :lol: but has anyone ever heard of that side effect before? So it's a no-win situation..feel like a zombie bc of no sleep, or actually look like a zombie but feel great. lol.

Ouch!  No I've never heard of that side effect.  Never taken them though.  Now your avatar looks like a zombie Axl to me :lol:

Thats definitely a tough decision.  

Im the same about both waking up at tiniest sound and not sleeping when away from home.  Except for one time camping in the woods.  Got there late and ended up setting up tent over major root structure.  My companion didnt sleep at all and I had thee best sleep of my life!  The pines and the mountain air.  They were actually mad at me for my best sleep ever :lol:

47 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Yes, I do.

I take a sleeping pill every night. Sometimes it works sometimes I'm up until 3:00 am.

I take medication that I think is making it hard for me to sleep. It's one of the side effects, so since I need to take this pill, I have to take a sleeping pill too. Sometimes I take a nap during the day to catch up.

It sucks. I don't know how people go days or weeks without sleeping. I would go crazy.

Now I understand how so many people take more pills than you should to sleep. I just lay there and try to clear my mind, but since I worry about so much shit sometimes it's difficult to turn off my brain.

Thats a difficult predicament.  I wonder if theres a similar medication that wont keep you up?   I cant nap during day for some annoying reason, but even if I could like you I imagine its not ideal to have too?

Calming the brain can be tricky.  I turn ff the news early evening and seldom check email after dark.  But different for every one.  My mind races on the least important things 

2 minutes ago, soon said:

Ouch!  No I've never heard of that side effect.  Never taken them though.  Now your avatar looks like a zombie Axl to me :lol:

Thats definitely a tough decision.  

Im the same about both waking up at tiniest sound and not sleeping when away from home.  Except for one time camping in the woods.  Got there late and ended up setting up tent over major root structure.  My companion didnt sleep at all and I had thee best sleep of my life!  The pines and the mountain air.  They were actually mad at me for my best sleep ever :lol:

lol! Well to be fair, nothing is more annoying than someone snoring blissfully away when oneself is tossing and turning in misery :lol: